Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It's a lot better. I didn't think that would be the case, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Season 2 of Fargo and Season 1 of Mr. Robot were both incredible. I honestly didn't expect to compare them to Twin Peaks S3 but here we are.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

How do people think this season compares to the original show? I'm pretty much inclined to call it better at this point.
Eh its tough for me to say, especially considering how huge the impact of the original show was. So much of The Return is also commenting on and contextualized by the original series that its really hard for me to separate it from those first two seasons and FWWM.

I personally am not sure that I'll be able to answer this question for several years, or at least until the mindblowing thrill of having more Twin Peaks wears off. It's still crazy to me that we even have this.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ HAHAH

How do people think this season compares to the original show? I'm pretty much inclined to call it better at this point.

It depends what you want. I have always loved FWWM and the last episode of S2 and wanted more of that, so this is a dream come true for me. A lot of people like the OG series because it was the most competent and interesting drama / mystery on primetime TV at the time, and didn't nerd out on the whole "francis bacon paintings come to life" thing as much, so I would imagine they're somewhat less thrilled.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Peaks is on another level to any show out there.
The way it uses emotions and metaphor and all that kinda stuff.
It's what you get when you let an artist make a series. Love it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ HAHAH

I think is better, and different. It brings back old memories, but even more surprises. It's a proper sequel, but it's also it's own thing. It's very Twin Peaks but it's not more of the same at all. Also, it probably has the best cast ever united on a single television show

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also just wanted to say that this is the best season of TV I've ever seen.

:same:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

I adore this but y'all gotta watch the last season of The Sopranos or something

johnny cakes is way more useless and meandering than anything in this season

I agree this might be the best single season of a tv show ever.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm glad Nadine was finally able to SHOVEL HERSELF OUT OF THE poo poo! :unsmith:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Really hard for me to pick one or the other right now, but I think I'd pick the original series (or at least S1 and the first few of S2). The Return is definitely better art and more challenging- so much more to chew on, to keep you off balance, to push, pull and reward, to get inside the viewer's head almost like a reverse 4th wall where the characters are expressing our thoughts. Brilliant. But the original series was just so note-perfect through most of it's run and such a joy to watch.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ HAHAH

It's better than a good chunk of season 2 and FWWM I think. But I still prefer season 1 and the first 10 ish episodes of season 2

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Walrus posted:

everyone in this thread has hearts of gold

Candie's body language here is very touching. She clearly has major anxiety issues and upon hearing someone else confirm her belief that the Mitchum Brothers have good hearts, it's a cathartic moment of sorts for her. She's not crazy or airheaded or anything like that (although I'm willing to concede she may have a touch of the :spergin: ). Her love and loyalty is validated and re-enforced, which is something that had been deeply shaken following the incident with the remote.

It's a great, subtle performance her actress gives. My wife was the one to point it out to me, as she has the exact same body movement tic when dealing with her own anxiety.

Also just wanna do a a quick touch on the good part of the anime derail from a few pages back to co-sign on the Satoshi Kon recommendation. Paranoia Agent is basically a Lynch-inspired anime series and much of his work often takes on a surreal, dreamlike quality. Sadly, I don't think his final film was ever finished, falling into development hell after his death.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just finished the age/math derail and holy gently caress people are retarded. No offense to any literal tards here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
None taken!

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The Return is better than the original show, and I'm inclined to place it alongside FWWM and Mulholland Drive as a high watermark of Lynch's career. If it returns to the Laura Palmer story in the finale, it might even top the former for me.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Re: anime talk the only really lynchian thing I've seen is serial experiments lain

Even starts with a dead girl imbedded in plastic, menacing electrical poles and everything

Twin peaks really hit hard in Japan and is prob responsible for a lot of anime blassics, probably up to and including diamond is not crash

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

regulargonzalez posted:

Just finished the age/math derail and holy gently caress people are retarded. No offense to any literal tards here.

I can see why people (including myself) got twisted, the phrasing is pretty confusing/poor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

regulargonzalez posted:

This show is great at making me feel like I'm a teenager again, specifically one stuck in a dreary seventh grade math class

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Escobarbarian posted:

The finale could change everything the way it did with season 2, but so far: I like the Vegas stuff more than anything in the original show, but the rest of the show a little less (but it's still fantastic.) FWWM remains my favorite Twin Peaks overall.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I like this season best because it really puts the mythology of the setting into the foreground, but without ruining the ambiguity and surrealism of it all. For anybody but Lynch that would be really tough. Even Frost couldn't get the balancing act quite right in the recent book, imo.

Fans of this show, and this season especially, should check out The Leftovers. Not that its the same as Peaks (nothing is), or even ripping it off. Both heavily rely on ambiguity and playing around with your expectations.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 30, 2017

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Ballz posted:

Candie's body language here is very touching. She clearly has major anxiety issues and upon hearing someone else confirm her belief that the Mitchum Brothers have good hearts, it's a cathartic moment of sorts for her. She's not crazy or airheaded or anything like that (although I'm willing to concede she may have a touch of the :spergin: ). Her love and loyalty is validated and re-enforced, which is something that had been deeply shaken following the incident with the remote.

Candie is an anxiety ridden, crazy, airheaded mess. In any other show she would be so annoying but somehow because of the weirdness and strange power of Twin Peaks she is legit one of the most lovable characters ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

I like this season best because it really puts the mythology of the setting into the foreground, but without ruining the ambiguity and surrealism of it all. For anybody but Lynch that would be really tough. Even Frost couldn't get the balancing act quite right in the recent book, imo.

Fans of this show, and this season especially, should check out The Leftovers. Not that its the same as Peaks (nothing is), or even ripping it off. Both heavily rely on ambiguity and playing around with your expectations.
This is an interesting comparison since imo Leftovers was much better when let its mythological elements stay in the background- when they started coming to the foreground I think the show started fumbling much more often.

Still worth checking out at any rate for the performances alone.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I can appreciate the effort and creativity of Frost's book, but it came off as bad fanfic to me. I can see why some people love it, but it just didn't work for me.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Raxivace posted:

This is an interesting comparison since imo Leftovers was much better when let its mythological elements stay in the background- when they started coming to the foreground I think the show started fumbling much more often.

Still worth checking out at any rate for the performances alone.

Leftovers never fully foregrounded that stuff to the extent that Peaks has, though. For example this season we have had Lodge spirits directly guiding characters, whereas in Leftovers of the three characters who seemed to know what was going on with the supernatural stuff one shot himself in the head and then forgot everything, the next was possibly a charlatan who got eaten by a lion, and the last got too high on "God's tongue" and missed the moment when he actually fulfilled his supernatural purpose.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just watched the episode and loved it. So glad coop is back. Also what's the running theory on Aubreynow

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also just wanted to say that this is the best season of TV I've ever seen.
Remember when I said earlier in the thread that I was going to binge Season 7 of Game of Thrones after it ended but I wasn't really looking forward to it and it wasn't gonna be anywhere near as good as Twin Peaks?

Well that's what I'm doing today/right now and it's poo poo and all I want to do is watch Twin Peaks instead.

gently caress other TV shows.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
God, the doofy look that Belushi has while he's drinking his Bloody Mary like a Slurpee is incred.

Also, things the Super Mitchum Bros. need to do in Twin Peaks:
1. Marvel at the cool trees, just like Cooper did.
2. Have pie and coffee at the Double R, mark out with Cooper about how good it is.
3. Stay at the Great Northern, love it so much they buy controlling shares in it.
4. Conscripted as temporary Bookhouse Boys, because seriously, these last two episodes are going to be some ALL HANDS ON DECK poo poo.

So loving pumped for the finale. ALL THE WARRIORS have been called, poo poo is going to get real, then it's going to hit the fan. Thankfully we have Doc Amp's golden shovels on hand.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
There are not enough minutes remaining of this show

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Goons might do well to imitate this redditor.

quote:

this was such an emotional experience for me, that as soon as I realized Cooper was going to wake up from his coma I paused my TV and took a shower. I've been in a depressive episode recently, and I'm at the point where I'm struggling with the will to even shower. Watching the show, and realizing that we were about to meet our beloved (my beloved, hehe) Special Agent Dale Cooper again -- AFTER SO LONG, well, I didn't want to be disgusting when we met again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's a perfectly reasonable response to this show and that person owns.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I was someone who always talked poo poo on the original Twin Peaks- thought it was way, way too bogged down with boring soap opera poo poo. But truthfully, I always loved the really weird stuff.

This new season could not have blown me away more. This is exactly what I wanted. Avant garde weird poo poo in high amounts, but still maintaining the eccentric fun stuff at acceptable levels. The show played by no rules. In a time where TV has become very formulaic to me, this never followed anyone else's path and I couldn't be happier it got made.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tupperwarez posted:

God, the doofy look that Belushi has while he's drinking his Bloody Mary like a Slurpee is incred.

There were some moments where his eyebrows did things that no human eyebrows should be capable of doing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

I know people aren't the biggest fans of him in other stuff but he's been real good in this imo. Mitchum bros own.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/A7gXv9D.gifv

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love the way everyone is talking about this season now like it's done, because really it seems like what we've been watching so far is finished. The next two hours are the cherry on top.

edit: lmao

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

These are my favorite thing about this thread. Thank you moist turtleneck

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ahahah holy poo poo

This show is great and although I had a case of the fireworks factory around episode 6/7ish I am glad it has played out the way it has

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ginette Reno posted:

I know people aren't the biggest fans of him in other stuff but he's been real good in this imo. Mitchum bros own.
Jim Belushi giving a memorable performance is probably the most unexpected revelation in the show.

Hell, in terms of memorable performances, this whole season has been a treasure trove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also what's the running theory on Aubreynow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzikBZTUy8