Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
People are saying a lot about 7th Fleet deployments, but I'll happily take it over a Gulf cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
https://pilotonline.com/news/milita...c4702e.amp.html

Impressive initiative. Real self starter.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Our Piss-o (who definitely smoked dope) "dropped" a bunch of tests once.

What a golden story. I wonder who leaked it? We should wait for the full story to trickle out.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 27, 2017

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Basically the same story as the Fitz.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=102156

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, the safety stand down today was pretty much as expected. Let's review ORM, because if there's any human error component to these mishaps, then by god it must mean that more ORM will fix it. Let's gloss over the fact that the human is a lot more prone to make errors when he's dealing with a slew of equipment failures and degrades on his old as poo poo jet after having flight hours and maintenance slashed to a bare minimum. I particularly loved the chart that shows mishap rates steadily climbing after 2013, when sequestration started some of the most egregious cuts to readiness.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Good thing my flight physical was yesterday so I could miss safety standdown.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
FTN 365 24/7

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, the safety stand down today was pretty much as expected. Let's review ORM, because if there's any human error component to these mishaps, then by god it must mean that more ORM will fix it. Let's gloss over the fact that the human is a lot more prone to make errors when he's dealing with a slew of equipment failures and degrades on his old as poo poo jet after having flight hours and maintenance slashed to a bare minimum. I particularly loved the chart that shows mishap rates steadily climbing after 2013, when sequestration started some of the most egregious cuts to readiness.

Haha you got that chart too? Some of the higher ups at our stand-down talked a bit about that, but didn't really say why that was happening or offer any analysis, they just said to ORM better.

It wasn't all bad though, we found out our CO likes to goof around on reddit, and to tie into ORM he gave a ten minute speech spoiling the ending of the Game of Thrones season finale, so that was kind of fun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It wasn't all bad though, we found out our CO likes to goof around on reddit, and to tie into ORM he gave a ten minute speech spoiling the ending of the Game of Thrones season finale, so that was kind of fun.

Much worse than your CO goofing around on SA :smug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My CO is way too cool to be wasting time in this mudpen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Much worse than your CO goofing around on SA :smug:

We no longer have a goon skipper. :rip:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

MML post command now?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

MML post command now?

Does this mean I can stop asking captains if they play Magic?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

MML post command now?

Yeah he survived and didn't make it to the front page of the times and is off to go do really cool nerdy poo poo that he likes.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah he survived and didn't make it to the front page of the times and is off to go do really cool nerdy poo poo that he likes.

God Speed!

Makes me think of one of the SWOs I met in Afghanistan who was talking about how weird it when being skipper of a DDG to then being at the Pentagon being in charge of no one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, it didn't feel appropriate to break up Surface Community Death Spiral chat last week to mention that I survived. Taking a bunch of leave now considering I'm about to lose a metric fuckload of it now that I'm not considered "deployed" anymore.

Also, as much as you hate getting those loving briefs just be glad you are not the one expected to run the canned ORM/BRM poo poo briefs they want everyone to see.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Washington Post has a pretty good story on why the 7th Fleet is stretched thin, including optempo.

We need to stop trying to expand the fleet and building poo poo that doesn't work (i.e. LCS) and instead focus on maintaining/manning/operating the ships that we *do* have. If we can't do that right, then we don't "deserve" more poo poo.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, I'm headed to be OIC of a unit next year... :bahgawd:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 30, 2017

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

Well, I'm headed to be OIC of a unit next year... :bahgawd:

Are we talking a LT taking over a small unit? Cause I think MML is a CDR in a command spot in japan which would make him the goon skipper.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LordNad posted:

Are we talking a LT taking over a small unit? Cause I think MML is a CDR in a command spot in japan which would make him the goon skipper.

No, it's an O4 OIC gig that is almost 3x the size of a MCM. Not command, but still comes with UCMJ authority and is a deployable unit.

MML was an O4 in MCM command.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The old timers in my office keep saying the reason the Fitz and the McCain collisions happened is because the COs don't yell at the OODs like they used to in the old days :rolleyes:.

I snapped today and said you fuckers haven't been on a ship in 3 decades, what the gently caress do you know?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

The old timers in my office keep saying the reason the Fitz and the McCain collisions happened is because the COs don't yell at the OODs like they used to in the old days :rolleyes:.

I snapped today and said you fuckers haven't been on a ship in 3 decades, what the gently caress do you know?

This is a daily occurrence working with retired chiefs and master chiefs who retired 20 years ago. They have no frame of reference regarding shipboard life or really the navy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Lou Takki posted:

I recommend yelling at them better than 80s OODs did.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I recommend yelling at them better than 80s OODs did.

Old man #2 said to me it's probably changed a lot since I got out (3 years ago). I still work on ships every day and go underway 3-4 times a year so FUUUUCK YOU.

I'm mostly just angry we have sailors dying in stupid loving incidents like this.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Does this mean I can stop asking captains if they play Magic?

You know I've been meaning to start asking Flag Os around here (Nimitz) stupid nerd poo poo since apparently vulturesrow is one, or I can just assume the one I keep seeing in the E6 smoke pit at night is him and start saying weird poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CMD598 posted:

You know I've been meaning to start asking Flag Os around here (Nimitz) stupid nerd poo poo since apparently vulturesrow is one, or I can just assume the one I keep seeing in the E6 smoke pit at night is him and start saying weird poo poo.

Meet me at the anchor in front of the sam Adams for a Pokémon go raid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We still have signs around here saying Pokemon Go is not authorized on the base.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

We still have signs around here saying Pokemon Go is not authorized on the base.

My daughter(7) loves it so I make sure she has plenty of poke balls saved up so she can fling them all over the place as a reward.
She's freakin awful at it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Hey guys I'm in grad school now. I wake up at whenever I want everyday as my classes are in the afternoon. Walking into campus everyday is a blessing because even if something sucks I still get to stare at co-eds.

Going to grad school for free is insane. In fact I'm getting paid to go to school. Always thought the GI Bill was a good deal but when you see the paycheck for your BAH in your bank account and you had to pay $0 to attend to a world class research institution, it's a great feeling. Thank you Uncle Sam!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

CMD598 posted:

Not a smoker. ;)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

Hey guys I'm in grad school now. I wake up at whenever I want everyday as my classes are in the afternoon. Walking into campus everyday is a blessing because even if something sucks I still get to stare at co-eds.

Going to grad school for free is insane. In fact I'm getting paid to go to school. Always thought the GI Bill was a good deal but when you see the paycheck for your BAH in your bank account and you had to pay $0 to attend to a world class research institution, it's a great feeling. Thank you Uncle Sam!

Hopefully your college is more social than mine, and I hope you learn something.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 31, 2017

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Hopefully your college is more social than mine, and I hope you learn something.

What was your experience?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

What was your experience?

State college that is about as effective as an engineering degree mill, lots of entitled kids who give no fucks but get passed through with 2.8 or lower GPAs, no social life on campus and no one who commits to interesting clubs. Pretty much I learned how to do Calculus better and then added some of that math to electrical stuff I had already learned far more effectively as a Nuke.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

What the gently caress is an e6 smoke pit? Like we had the Khaki smoke deck and the lower enlisted plebs smoke deck on the Enterprise.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Supposed to get a 96 this weekend according to the CO so my LPO decides to volunteer everyone to come in and sit around all day friday for no reason DH accepts. Love it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dusted

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

State college that is about as effective as an engineering degree mill, lots of entitled kids who give no fucks but get passed through with 2.8 or lower GPAs, no social life on campus and no one who commits to interesting clubs. Pretty much I learned how to do Calculus better and then added some of that math to electrical stuff I had already learned far more effectively as a Nuke.

drat that sucks bro. My master's program is a typical cash cow for the school to support their research and PhD students but the classes are no joke.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

Supposed to get a 96 this weekend according to the CO so my LPO decides to volunteer everyone to come in and sit around all day friday for no reason DH accepts. Love it.

Sounds like a boat command.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LordNad posted:

Sounds like a boat command.

Lol what boat has time to give out 96's, let alone 72's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Even the busiest commands can find a way to make do without a person for an hour and a half.