Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

namaste faggots posted:

Lol gently caress off Mr birthing pool

Sorry for stepping on your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know of mineral content is an indicator of quality but Vancouver water has one of the lowest trace element amounts measured, when it can even be measured. Most of the time those "water hardness" test strips don't even react.

There is so little mineral content in Vancouver water that it apparently negatively impacts copper pipes, causing corrosion and pinhole leaks. There are companies in Vancouver that sell systems to condos to add things to the water to balance this out. The city adds stuff to the naturally low pH water to bring up the pH but apparently that's not enough alone to solve the problem. I have no idea if these companies are legit or if it's snake oil (not a water scientist).

In other news Jagmeet Singh signed up 47k new NDP members, which represents 38% of the total 124k membership.

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/902633899796439040

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm glad they removed all the fluoride from Calgary's water to protect us from the communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. loving idiots. :rolleyes:

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of yall were fluoride babies

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2479833

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I too trust an OpEd from the man who thinks he can treat autism with Oregano

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

<close>

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god you might actually be Alex Jones

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
First off, suggesting the author of the piece is wrong because hes into alt medicine is a fallacious ad hominem attack and second, the study comes from harvard.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

hahahaha

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

First off, suggesting the author of the piece is wrong because hes into alt medicine is a fallacious ad hominem attack and second, the study comes from harvard.

Suggesting a quack is a quack is quackery I tells you

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/

Look for the word Harvard

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Here's a random article making GBS threads on the study:

http://ilikemyteeth.org/harvard-study-fluoride-neurotoxicity/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
man you guys are so dumb

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Here's an ad hom for you: you are a bad poster and really need to sort out your way of thinking.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

In other news Jagmeet Singh signed up 47k new NDP members, which represents 38% of the total 124k membership.

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/902633899796439040

That's too bad, he loving sucks

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The study was on areas with very high levels of fluoride in the water (i.e. rural China)
"Opportunities for epidemiological studies depend on the existence of comparable population groups exposed to different levels of fluoride from drinking water. Such circumstances are difficult to find in many industrialized countries, because fluoride concentrations in community water are usually no higher than 1 mg/L, even when fluoride is added to water supplies as a public health measure to reduce tooth decay. Multiple epidemiological studies of developmental fluoride neurotoxicity were conducted in China because of the high fluoride concentrations that are substantially above 1 mg/L in well water in many rural communities"

The problem isn't with the study it's the attempt to link it to situations it wasn't meant to cover.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

You're actually kind of right.

quote:

Health Canada has established the guideline for fluoride in drinking water as a maximum acceptable concentration of 1.5 milligrams per litre. Water containing fluoride at, or below, this maximum acceptable concentration does not pose a risk to human health.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/healthy-living/your-health/environment/fluorides-human-health.html

So even the government agrees that fluoride above the max acceptable could pose a human risk which is cool and good.

This is the study you're talking about, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/. It was looking at way higher doses and found an iq decrease that could be in the realm of error and even then only supports the possibilty of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children’s neurodevelopment.

I don't really understand how the government can decide that 1.5 mg/L doesn't pose a risk to anybody at all including 3 year olds drinking a hundred liters a month. For little kids, you're not supposed to give them toothpaste with fluoride until they're old enough to spit it out, says right on the bottle so there must be a safe dose in mg/kg/day but hosed if I can find it.

It does seem like Canada is lagging behind other countries decreasing recommended safe amounts

quote:

For optimal dental health, the World Health Organization recommends a level of fluoride from 0.5 to 1.0 mg/L (milligrams per litre), depending on climate.[6] Fluorosis becomes possible above this recommended dosage. As of 2015, the United States Health and Human Services Department recommends a maximum of 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water – updating and replacing the previous recommended range of 0.7 to 1.2 milligrams issued in 1962. The new recommended level is intended to reduce the occurrence of dental fluorosis while maintaining water fluoridation.

So whether the IQ thing is true or not, there's other adverse things for kids from too much fluoride and Canada is allowing twice as much as these bodies are recommending. Why did I just learn all this I'm on well water jesus christ

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Canada is conducting daily threat assessments of North Korea's provocative missile tests, including its most recent blast over Japan, Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

But the prime minister steered clear of a divisive security issue that has long had domestic political ramifications: the U.S. missile shield for North America, which successive governments have avoided for more than a decade.

Trudeau and Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland criticized North Korea's latest missile test as a threat to world peace, and urged a diplomatic solution to the escalating nuclear crisis.

"These are things that endanger not just regional stability but world peace," Trudeau said in French as he hosted Jordan's King Abdullah in Ottawa.

"This is an issue that is of concern to us daily and we will continue day by day to continue what we need to do keep Canadians safe."

whatever guy

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

namaste faggots posted:

Canada is conducting daily threat assessments of North Korea's provocative missile tests

:jerkbag:

AKA one dude at CSIS is reading the CC'd reports from whatever American org responsible for that poo poo sends them out to paid up allies in good standing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think you guys just haven't had good rear end before.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
senator general romeo diapers dallaire is literally reviewing the reports himself with a super absorbant cloth to soak up all those peacekeeping tears

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
kim jong un is jealous of Our Justin's luscious locks so he'll definitely nuke us for sure better keep a close eye on this pressing threat

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

Just because YOU don't believe doesn't make it untrue, and it is actually oil of oregano that cures autism and fibromyalgia

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just because YOU don't believe doesn't make it untrue, and it is actually oil of oregano that cures autism and fibromyalgia

It also makes your burps taste like pizza.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Tochiazuma posted:

But then it gets tougher because you have to guess who the original author of the article was as well

I'm just catching up on this thread and I wanted to single this post out because it's really good and I feel like it deserves appreciation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kim Jong Whatever will tremble in terror at Canada's Might.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

All this fluoride talk and not a single mention of communists? Shame.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I seem to remember that Preston Manning was a big Fluoride-is-Soviet-Mind-Control guy around the founding of the Reform Party and if you ask him about it now he gets really awkward and stares at his shoes a bunch.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That would totally make it worth getting kicked out of whatever he was attending.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hand Knit posted:

I seem to remember that Preston Manning was a big Fluoride-is-Soviet-Mind-Control guy around the founding of the Reform Party and if you ask him about it now he gets really awkward and stares at his shoes a bunch.

I always bring this up, but I've never ever found a source for the fluoride mind control conspiracies before Dr. Strangelove came out. I think that film invented the conspiracy, and people are so dumb they are literally listening to the ramblings of a lunatic movie character.

That's where we are as a species now, isn't it great?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

I always bring this up, but I've never ever found a source for the fluoride mind control conspiracies before Dr. Strangelove came out. I think that film invented the conspiracy, and people are so dumb they are literally listening to the ramblings of a lunatic movie character.

That's where we are as a species now, isn't it great?

The term "meritocracy" was also invented as a satire so I think we've been at that point for a while.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Medicine only works if you believe in it, now excuse me while I chug this Maple Syrup to cure my Meningitis

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Medicine only works if you believe in it, now excuse me while I chug this Maple Syrup to cure my Meningitis

Side effects may include diabetes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LMFAO RETARD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/racism-eritrea-winnipeg-newcomer-family-1.4264988

quote:

A Point Douglas man who has a confederate flag hanging in the window of his home says he believes in "white power" but doesn't force his beliefs on anyone.

The man spoke briefly to CBC News after a number of people living nearby said they were victims of the man's unprovoked racist remarks.

Kayla Bewer moved to the neighbourhood about a month ago and said she's heard the man yelling at an elderly woman and her grandson who appear to be Latino.

"He yells racial slurs to them tells them to go back to their country and stuff. It's just heartbreaking to hear ... I can't believe anyone would say anything bad about her," said Bewer.

Bewer hasn't met the man or had any run-ins but feels uneasy walking her dog by his home as a confederate flag hangs in the window.

"It doesn't feel welcoming. Everybody else around here is fantastic. This is the nicest neighbourhood I've actually ever lived in and it's super nice to see that everyone is so welcoming to the neighbourhood but this guy," said Bewer.

A newcomer who lives nearby and asked not to be identified said he and his family have also been targeted.

"Whenever we go through his path he makes a lot of bad words and he treats us badly," the newcomer said. "When you ask him [why], he says the white power and the colour."

The newcomer said he and his siblings have had to change their route in and out of the neighbourhood to avoid walking past the man's house.

"We were trying to avoid him but we couldn't because whenever he see us he comments on our skin," he said. "It's so sad to hear ... to find a person in 2017 acting like a hundred years before. Humanity has faced a lot of problems due to racism and it was so bad."

Ryan Wiebe, who helped sponsor a large family that moved to Manitoba from Eritrea last fall said the man appeared to drive his pickup towards some of the family members.

"[He] hit the brakes as they jumped off the road out of the way, and obviously that was terrifying for them," Wiebe said.

"Whether or not he was physically trying to run into them or just trying to scare them or send a message or whatever the case, it's obviously very terrifying."

The man, who didn't give his name, declined a request for an interview but agreed to answer a few questions. He let CBC news inside his home and showed us a swastika and Nazi symbols painted on the wall. There is also a large confederate flag painted on the ceiling that stretches the length and width of the entire living room.

The man didn't deny hurling racist slurs at his neighbours. When asked why he said "Why come here? Get a free house and then go on welfare? Hate it," he told CBC News.

The man said he has had several fights with a black neighbour and has told him to "get off my f--ing street."

He's concerned the publicity will spark violence against his property and said he hasn't bothered anyone in some time.

"I don't go out there and promote hate. I just live my life and I work, pay my bills," he told CBC News. "Yes, I've said racist things but I'm not forcing my beliefs on anybody."

"I've been good lately. I'm trying to be a better person here."

Sel Burrows, chair of the Point Douglas Residents Committee, says people in the neighbourhood consider the man a white supremacist.

"It's not Canadian, it's not decent, it's ugly, illegal, but he walks that fine line where it's difficult to get any criminal charges laid against him," said Burrows.

Burrows said the community is looking for options on how to deal with the racist rhetoric, but hasn't found any yet.

"This one person can destroy a street like that. I mean it's beyond belief what those families have to put up with that."

Burrows says the harassment tapered off for a month after a member of the Winnipeg police paid the man a visit. About two months ago, Wiebe called Burrows to let him know the intimidation tactics had returned.

"The white supremacist had been making shooting motions" at one of the teenage boys in the Eritrean family, Burrows said, "pretending to shoot him."

"Community support unit Winnipeg police officers went to visit the white supremacist and sort of read the riot act to him. They were very good at that, letting him know that he was right on the edge of a serious criminal charge."

As far as Burrows knows there hasn't been any further racist behaviour since the last visit by police.

"Until he commits a clear criminal offence we have a whole bunch of victims on that street," Burrows said.

Winnipeg police said they were notified about the man with a confederate flag in the window back in May 2017.

"We have been out in the community and speaking with residents who have advised he has not caused any issues to date. We are monitoring the situation closely," said Winnipeg policed spokesperson Jay Murray, adding at this time, there are no grounds to lay any charges.

"I feel that there is danger," a man living nearby who was afraid to give his name told CBC News. "Sooner or later someone is going to say something to him and he's going to react badly."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People on reddit found him but mods don't like doxxing. What a loving scumbag.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008
Windsor beautification project underway.

quote:

More than 1,000 basement floods and counting following record rainfall

Riverside and Budimir library branches also closed due to 'severe flooding'

More than 1,000 basements have flooded in Windsor and Essex County following two days of record rains that forced businesses to close and saw motorists abandon their cars in roads resembling rushing rivers.

edit: Pretty sure this is the second major flood they've had in a year.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Welcome to the new normal, people.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Bain said the municipal systems are simply not designed to handle the massive amount of rain that pummelled the region in such a short period.

"Our systems were all based on the 1-in-100 year storm and now we have to go back and take a look," said Bain. "We've had two such storms within two years so we've got to go back now and see if we need to change that design system."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

There is so little mineral content in Vancouver water that it apparently negatively impacts copper pipes, causing corrosion and pinhole leaks. There are companies in Vancouver that sell systems to condos to add things to the water to balance this out. The city adds stuff to the naturally low pH water to bring up the pH but apparently that's not enough alone to solve the problem. I have no idea if these companies are legit or if it's snake oil (not a water scientist).

This is accurate, though I would expect that the city is raising the ph to a suitable level and these companies are likely snake oil. Low pH will result in corrosion of copper pipes, as well as potential leeching of copper and lead into the drinking water.

This is basically why Flint has lead in their water, they increased the chlorine to deal with bacteria and all the old lead pipes started leeching.

Source for all this is that I design potable water treatment systems for a living.