Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did you ask what they thought about how 99% of Fox's commercials being of old people diapers, gold/silver, and prepper BS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Did you ask what they thought about how 99% of Fox's commercials being of old people diapers, gold/silver, and prepper BS?

They don't show those in the UK, or outside of the US, due to copyrights etc.
Instead they used to just show weather maps of the world, but then slowly added ads.
But they were short lived (I think not sure if they show them recently) as they were inappropiate.
Like you would see ads for Saudi airlines, or expensive watches. Out of place ads.
Then those stopped and were replaced by 'Fox Extra' which was just mini-reports. Like a report of cow farming or some new tech company.
But sometimes they would play the live music that they would have on Fox & Friends.
So you would get some pro-US country western song for a few minutes, then back to Hannity calling Hillary a bitch.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

I doubt they would have seen the same adds as what would have been presented in the US.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Ooopps for some reason my mind kept thinking teacher in the US with forgien students even though I read "London(and one only one that is important, the UK one)."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So basically only us Americans are dumb enough to watch his stupid propaganda channel

I'm not sure.

I semi sort of associate it with poo poo like Amway (and also televangilism), to the extent that it preys on the weak minded and less fortunate. Amway/Quixtar/MLM has made tremendous inroads in places like India, the Phillipines, China, etc. and is often a front for spreading Christian ideology. Sorry google is failing me right now but I've read how they manage to penetrate particularly economically vulnerable societies and disguise it as not only opportunity but absolute truth.

The tactics and, indeed, the message are often fairly similar. "Us against them", "Winners versus losers", "purity vs the unclean"..."facts are the enemy"....the invocation of "others" standing in the way of your success.

Maybe a bad analogy but I can see the crossover.

If FOX were to offer up their channel for free in places that barely even had television, I could see it taking hold and them using it towards their own ends.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

moths posted:

I imagine you'd just follow the guy with the most bags home from the gun store.

I'm not going to call him a "friend" because gently caress that guy but a dude I know is a professional criminal and he's found that people tend to advertise it. Most guns are owned by a small subset of the population and those people are all about guns so they'll have stickers/yardsigns/bumperstickers/etc talking about how many guns they have.

Evidently, you look for the houses with just one car since the kind of man who owns a lot of guns in suburban Wisconsin tends to be single/divorced. So you peg the car, wait for them to go to their job and then you have plenty of time to rob the place. "Owning lots of guns" also correlates with "keeping to one's self" so neighbors don't care/ask questions since it's just their crazy neighbor doing a crazy thing.

It's been ~5 years since I spoke to that person and ~18 years since I spoke to them regularly but I can't imagine that things have changed all that much. If anything, I imagine it's accelerated.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

BiggerBoat posted:

If FOX were to offer up their channel for free in places that barely even had television, I could see it taking hold and them using it towards their own ends.

This thought just made me incredibly anxious. We just witnessed how effective a couple billionaires, who are true believers to some degree, sabotage democracy and decency in two major industrialized nations.

Brexit and Trump were both only made possible because Mercer and Murdoch are insane conservatives that have been unchecked in their crusade to make all whites people into regressive asshats (and marginalize/exterminate non-whites).

We just saw how well manipulating the media worked in two countries with an abundance of news outlets and entertainment sources, as well as large populations.

Imagine if these creeps targeted an industrializing nation with less than 30 million people. Either one of them could propagandize a much larger portion of the media at at a much lower cost. With their political connections and undoubted lack of aversion to corruption, they could even operate their "news" stations at a loss. The backroom multinational corporate deals could more than make up for a margin of red in their "news" operations.

I feel like I am getting :tinfoil: but some quick googling has informed me that Murdoch already owns multiple entities in India, and was pushing for his company to have access to the Gulf States since 2010.

We really shouldn't have allowed FOX news to thrive in America. We probably set the stage for dozens of other countries to be turbofucked by the methods they honed here.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

happyhippy posted:

That's what makes it funny to watch imo.

They used to do a segment called 'Around the world in 180 seconds', probably still do. I found this hilarious as the format was usually the same, 'theres an election/civil war somewhere', 'theres a flood/landslide somewhere', and always ended with a 'quirky stupid local foreign tradition'.
I always though it made the rest of the world look stupid and a scary place to go.

Working as intended.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

It's been ~5 years since I spoke to that person and ~18 years since I spoke to them regularly but I can't imagine that things have changed all that much. If anything, I imagine it's accelerated.

I'd say, if anything, that when your house gets robbed you'll at least have a pretty good idea who did it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd say, if anything, that when your house gets robbed you'll at least have a pretty good idea who did it.

Nah, I live too far away for them to get to me. Plus, they've settled down since they've started therapy, had some kids and got all genderqueer. I imagine they still make most of their money through illicit means since that is simply where their skill set is. But their wife is on disability so since they are financially taken care of, my guess is that their illicit activities are more low key efforts like small scale grow ops.

I also live in Oakland, so if my house gets robbed it's probably because of a local element as opposed to some cross country heist. Most parsimonious explanation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RasperFat posted:

FOX Propaganda and proliferating the third world.

Depending on the nation in question, I can totally see FOX doing a cost/benefit analysis, sweeping in to offer peanuts to countries that basically eat sand and taking a relatively small loss to further what is, let's face it, nothing more than an opportunistic money making machine. They'd have small overhead and little to lose.

FOX basically followed the example of AM talk radio where airtime was really cheap and filled a vacuum to deliver what people wanted to hear and tap into the desire for confirmation bias of idiots who only listened to transistors radios and went to church on Sundays because there was gently caress all else to do except milk cows , plow fields and fear black people. Televangilists and radio preachers had been doing it for years. The trick was to find areas where NOTHING WAS loving HAPPENING and the only "entertainment" anyone had was some cheap second hand radio that couldn't pick up anything at all worth listening to beyond the Sweeney Sisters, Benny Goodman or some poo poo.

AM Radio was a loving wasteland for years and in a lot of places the only signals people could receive were from carnival barking, fire and brimstone breathing, tent revival style lunatics asking for money in exchange for truth and salvation. Looking at it, it's fairly akin to the Southern Strategy and is unashamed in it's naked exploitation and, worse, straight up and outright lies.

These people are not stupid, know exactly what they're doing and, unfortunately, this poo poo works. But apparently not on Brits so good on them at least I guess.

Shbobdb posted:

Nah, I live too far away for them to get to me. Plus, they've settled down since they've started therapy, had some kids and got all genderqueer.

They got all what now?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 30, 2017

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
So, on today's Crosstalk, my local Christian radio program, they had on Usama Dakdok from the Straight Way of Grace Ministries, which is as about as Islamaphobic of an organization as you can get without outright advocating for genocide. They made their own "completely accurate translation" of the Quran, which of course is not accurate at all, and use it to claim that all Muslims are commanded to murder all non-believers everywhere. Seriously, one of the guy's teachings is that there are two special secret hidden Pillars of Islam, and they boil down to "Kill everyone" and "Lie to everyone in order to eventually rape them". Dude loving hates Muslims, so of course, he was on the program to whine about the SPLC listing his ministry as a hate group.

He said a lot of infurating things, of course, but one thing that has always bugged me is the "Scandinavia/Europe is being overrun by the Mohammedan Hordes and everyone's too politically correct to stop it!" Usama himself claimed that one in five women in Sweden have been raped by Muslim immigrants. Is there a specific source to these claims, or is this one of those "Pamela Geller said it once, so it's real" things? I mean, I know it's not accurate whatsoever, but I'm curious as to how this sort of poo poo gets started.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The closest thing to reality that gets is that Sweden appears to have a fairly high rate of sexual assault against women, but that is largely a product of two things: Sweden has a broader definition of assault than most countries (not only rape, but harassment, etc.), and so there are more events that fit the definition; and events are far, far more likely to be reported than most other countries. So it's an apples and oranges situation to compare "sexual assault rates" for Sweden vs. most other countries.

If, for example, the US used the same definitions and had anywhere near the reporting rates, it would likely be much higher than Sweden. We have horrendously low rates of reporting.

Also, there are Musselmens in fair Sweden! It MUST be their fault!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hunt11 posted:

Back when I was doing some work in schools in London I remember talking to a couple teens who saw fox news and were shocked at just how horrifying it was.

I guess British teens never bother to read the absolutely horrid media their parents do, and which is literally printed Fox News, and where half of them were made by the same people behind Fox News?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Teens? Reading printed news?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

They got all what now?

They had some kinda crazy when I lived with them where they would go all Peter Jackson Gollum/Smeagol and after yelling at themselves would pass out. They (in their 30s) would also cry because the 13 year old they had been sexually exploiting dumped them. How bad a person do you have to be to have a homeless runaway lose their housing?

They've gotten some therapy and are all "one day I'm a man one day I'm a woman" genderqueer. It's probably more nuanced than that but whatever it is, it seems to be working out really well for them since by all appearances they are now much more balanced than they used to be. :smith:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
:yikes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Granted I'm an American with no great understanding of the UK's media sphere but honestly I think a version of Fox News could 'work' there. Some of their tabloids cover the same ideological space anyways.

e: What fishmech said.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mantis42 posted:

Granted I'm an American with no great understanding of the UK's media sphere but honestly I think a version of Fox News could 'work' there. Some of their tabloids cover the same ideological space anyways.

You are right. A TV version of "The Daily Mail" would be extremely popular.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Christian radio program hates Islam.

I've been getting into it with a few FB friends over the stupid Colin Kaepernick "issue" and settled on posting things like the 1968 Olympic medal winners and some Muhammed Ali interviews, rightfully, in my mind anyway, pointing out that this is nothing new and that history will absolve whatever "transgressions" Kaepernick finds himself currently engaged in. I've heard what he's done called "desecration".

As an atheist who treats all religions with a measure of suspicion and fear, it was admittedly a little weird hearing Ali mentioning "infidels", subjugating power and authority to one prophet and poo poo like that, but his message was just, consistent and true and I still respect him for what he did and the price he paid for it. the whole loving world had to beat the poo poo out of him legally for him to earn respect and be proven right, to say nothing of the 210 lb beasts he had to fight to earn a living.

My point is, if Ali had objected to murdering people on the basis of Christianity or if it were Tim Tebow coming down on the side of BLM, how different might the perceptions might be?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

They had some kinda crazy when I lived with them where they would go all Peter Jackson Gollum/Smeagol and after yelling at themselves would pass out. They (in their 30s) would also cry because the 13 year old they had been sexually exploiting dumped them. How bad a person do you have to be to have a homeless runaway lose their housing?

They've gotten some therapy and are all "one day I'm a man one day I'm a woman" genderqueer. It's probably more nuanced than that but whatever it is, it seems to be working out really well for them since by all appearances they are now much more balanced than they used to be. :smith:

this didn't clarify a loving thing.

EDIT: poo poo. double post. Letting it ride.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

You are right. A TV version of "The Daily Mail" would be extremely popular.

Which is why we have laws about that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fishmech posted:

I guess British teens never bother to read the absolutely horrid media their parents do, and which is literally printed Fox News, and where half of them were made by the same people behind Fox News?

only the ones who join the bnp youf

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

this didn't clarify a loving thing.

EDIT: poo poo. double post. Letting it ride.

What would you like me to clarify?

Some people reject the gender binary. That's not a bad thing. They're just living their life.as authentically as they can. It may seem strange to you, gently caress, it seems strange to me. But it's important to them and since we lose nothing by respecting them we may as well do it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not going to call him a "friend" because gently caress that guy but a dude I know is a professional criminal and he's found that people tend to advertise it. Most guns are owned by a small subset of the population and those people are all about guns so they'll have stickers/yardsigns/bumperstickers/etc talking about how many guns they have.

Evidently, you look for the houses with just one car since the kind of man who owns a lot of guns in suburban Wisconsin tends to be single/divorced. So you peg the car, wait for them to go to their job and then you have plenty of time to rob the place. "Owning lots of guns" also correlates with "keeping to one's self" so neighbors don't care/ask questions since it's just their crazy neighbor doing a crazy thing.

Gun thief from Wisconsin, huh? Is your friend's name Mike by any chance? I had a friend just like that in high school.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It used to be a similar generic white name that has been shortened from like "Mike" is short for "Michael". I don't want to doxx anybody. Were they from the birthplace of the modern KKK and the headquarters of the John Birch Society?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shbobdb posted:

It used to be a similar generic white name that has been shortened from like "Mike" is short for "Michael". I don't want to doxx anybody. Were they from the birthplace of the modern KKK and the headquarters of the John Birch Society?

You lost me there. This person was from the city that sounds like a turd hitting a toilet.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been getting into it with a few FB friends over the stupid Colin Kaepernick "issue" and settled on posting things like the 1968 Olympic medal winners and some Muhammed Ali interviews, rightfully, in my mind anyway, pointing out that this is nothing new and that history will absolve whatever "transgressions" Kaepernick finds himself currently engaged in. I've heard what he's done called "desecration".

As an atheist who treats all religions with a measure of suspicion and fear, it was admittedly a little weird hearing Ali mentioning "infidels", subjugating power and authority to one prophet and poo poo like that, but his message was just, consistent and true and I still respect him for what he did and the price he paid for it. the whole loving world had to beat the poo poo out of him legally for him to earn respect and be proven right, to say nothing of the 210 lb beasts he had to fight to earn a living.

My point is, if Ali had objected to murdering people on the basis of Christianity or if it were Tim Tebow coming down on the side of BLM, how different might the perceptions might be?

If Tebow had spoken out in favor of BLM, he'd never have become a darling of the religious right. He'd have been a poo poo-stirring liberal who should shut up and play football.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ya'll, the "Obama did nothing during Katrina" thing i'm seeing on facebook and twitter. That is a joke right? 4chan is loving with us?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

You lost me there. This person was from the city that sounds like a turd hitting a toilet.

This is unacceptable hate speech. It's not OK to make fun of the Potawatomi language like that.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

BigRed0427 posted:

Ya'll, the "Obama did nothing during Katrina" thing i'm seeing on facebook and twitter. That is a joke right? 4chan is loving with us?

The twitter thing is apparently sarcastic tweets or bots. Facebook...I don't know.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 30, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man I missed the innocent era of 201X when the worst manipulation of tech companies was that YEC church getting Google to say "The Flood killed the Dianosaurs."

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

The Twitter collage I saw had one ironic anti-Trump account, one suspended account, and four accounts full of consistent pro-Trump messaging. One had the eight-digit-number name scheme I understand is heavily correlated with bots, the others do not.

So yeah, there's actual bots and/or true believers spouting this. Or if they're trolls they've very long-con types.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

http://www.lauraingraham.com/b/Separated-at-Birth:-Michelle-Obama-and-An-Alien/98714847110639.html

Literally a first page result when you google "Laura Ingram Michelle Obama". Laura Ingraham is loving awful.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

So no RWM pundits have managed to blame Harvey on Democrats yet? Color me surprised. FOX News does have a "looters" story on their front page right now.

Oh, you haven't heard?

:cripes:

Every time I see poo poo like this, I always wonder why no one's ever tried to drive a truck bomb right through the front doors of the Fox :airquote:News:airquote: building.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zipperelli. posted:

Oh, you haven't heard?

:cripes:

Every time I see poo poo like this, I always wonder why no one's ever tried to drive a truck bomb right through the front doors of the Fox :airquote:News:airquote: building.

Because that would feed their narrative for the next two decades and give the president all sorts of excuses to scream about liberal terrorists.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I don't know why I'm still aghast at this kind of disingenuousness, especially considering the source, but somehow I am
https://twitter.com/anncoulter/status/902585682635436032

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/902579678266916867

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 30, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Reading is fun, liberals. BUY MY BOOOOOK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not saying Ann's a shriveled husk of disgusting human jerky, like a mummy cured by hatred and equally anachronistic.

Gosh you liberals, I said I'M NOT SAYING that. Learn to read! Snowflakes!