Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The new season of the show "Twin Peaks" is good and I like to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Jim Belushi giving a memorable performance is probably the most unexpected revelation in the show.

Hell, in terms of memorable performances, this whole season has been a treasure trove.

It's amazing to me that Bobby Briggs is one of the most compelling and best acted characters on the show. I never would have believed it if you told me that going in.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I am aware that David Bowie is not going to sing Sycamore Trees in the finale and yet I cannot stop thinking about how loving awesome that would be.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Movie-Length Series Finale of Twin Peaks Season 3

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I can't stop thinking about the music cue when Cooper wakes up.

This last episode, and particularly, the restraint in holding off on the music we 'know' from the show is basically a master class of audio design and it really is heartening how David Lynch accomplishes this.

Having almost entirely abandoned the classic Twin Peaks music we have loved for years, so much of the show's overt audio styling being unsettling noise and static and heavy air bristling into your ear, especially in the last 15 hours of film within this season, Lynch truly instills a sense of warmth and familiarity into this nearly divine moment.

The nostalgic homecoming. The theme we associate most heavily with the show. Used like an emotional icepick jammed directly into our hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JY3tbsmYM

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's kind of crazy that the show took this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozSIN_3Xk

and repurposed it into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VlcLie6go&t=110s

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
even if bowie isn't in the show I'd love to hear Lazarus or blackstar worked in to the finale somehow.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

When Albert shoots Diane, I am pretty sure the shot replays twice. This happened when Ray shot Danzig too.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It's sad that Albert had to shoot Diane, having lived his life according to the principles of nonviolence

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mover posted:

It's sad that Albert had to shoot Diane, having lived his life according to the principles of nonviolence

maybe he doesnt consider tulpas his fellow man

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

And More posted:

I think it's charming. Just old David Lynch sitting in front of his old computer and slowly photoshopping the pattern on Diane's dress so it wiggles back and forth, and then he adds in the rattlesnake sound and goes: "THAT'LL SCARE THE DICKENS OUT OF 'EM."

AH, THE VIDEO TOASTER...
THE DIRECTOR'S DREAM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

johnny cakes is way more useless and meandering than anything in this season

I was thinking of just the final 9 eps as they were produced separately and apparently are only not season 7 because of some contract thing? Season 6.2, anyways.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is the real Diane dead? I think I missed it

And just to confirm the last two episodes are being shown together?

Also Mitchum brothers rule

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's this. I'm 27, so someone 25 years my senior would be 52.

When the original Twin Peaks ended (1991), Coop would've been 37 (since he was born in 1954).

Assuming Richard was conceived around this time (shortly after Bad Coop escaped the Lodge and then raped Audrey), that would make Bad Coop 62 now and Richard 25.

The Return takes place 25 years after season 2's end, so 2016, meaning Richard should be 25 and Coop would be 50 if he was 25 years older than Richard?

I don't know. Seems like a continuity error.

This isn't about Cooper's age; Mr. C was born 25 years ago, when Dale got sucked into the Black Lodge. Then Mr. C raped Audrey and made Richard.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is the real Diane dead? I think I missed it

And just to confirm the last two episodes are being shown together?

Also Mitchum brothers rule

1) No one seems to know for sure. She's either in the sheriff's station in a cell right now, was killed at the convenience store after Booper/Bob smelled her fear and did his life-ruining hobby on her, or was dragged to the sheriff's station after the convenience store to have an unexplained plot event happen.

2) Yup. Hence the "Movie-Length" comment up the page.

3)

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 30, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i couldn't have imagined the michums becomming jesuscoop's sidekicks

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lmfao

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

By the way, something that really struck me were the match-cuts between Dougie-Coop in his hospital room before he wakes up, all the machines beeping and the white noise...

...And Gordon Cole standing in his Hotel room crammed full of arcane FBI machines making approximately the exact same noises. And Cole is just standing there, listening to the sounds.

This, combined with him knowing that it was Diane walking right up to their door before she knocked and made a sound, combined with ALL the other moments where he was clearly hearing very precisely, makes me think that Gordon Cole has seriously NEVER been hard of hearing. Or at the very least, is not now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When Cole goes back to Twin Peaks, he's def gonna bang Shelly this time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is bad Cooper gonna bring his newly earned posse

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If we don't get a fourth season, I want some drat spinoffs.

The Adventures of Dougie-Coop: A show chronicling everything that happened to Dougie-Coop in between the scenes we were shown. Someone's always out to do him harm but his inherent goodness always makes everything work out fine somehow. Every episode ends with Janey-E saying "That's my Dougie! :allears:"

Better Call Mitch: Shows the struggles of the Super Mitchio Bros. before they became the renowned criminals they are today. Chronicles how they met Candie and the true nature of the relationship she has with them. And why, apparently, she has nowhere else to go.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

kaworu posted:

By the way, something that really struck me were the match-cuts between Dougie-Coop in his hospital room before he wakes up, all the machines beeping and the white noise...

...And Gordon Cole standing in his Hotel room crammed full of arcane FBI machines making approximately the exact same noises. And Cole is just standing there, listening to the sounds.

This, combined with him knowing that it was Diane walking right up to their door before she knocked and made a sound, combined with ALL the other moments where he was clearly hearing very precisely, makes me think that Gordon Cole has seriously NEVER been hard of hearing. Or at the very least, is not now.

I do think Cole is actually deaf but the cause of it/his retro type of hearing aids makes him more in tune on a different wavelength

Cause electricity helps him hear, you see, etc

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Another thing that I didn't really believe but turned out to be true: The Motel where Bad Coop met Teapot!Jeffries is, in fact, the same motel that Lelant met Theresa Banks in (or at least it looks the same?). You can even look the place up on google, it's Mt. Si Motel in North Bend, WA - no mistake, same place, same white panel and brick.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Also as someone whose father is near deaf and uses hearing aids there's been plenty of times where I've gotten frustrated and been like "I KNOW when you're bullshitting me and heard me clearly" and he'll be like "...yeah okay" so that whole Albert/Cole dynamic never seemed more to me than what it is

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

kaworu posted:

Another thing that I didn't really believe but turned out to be true: The Motel where Bad Coop met Teapot!Jeffries is, in fact, the same motel that Lelant met Theresa Banks in (or at least it looks the same?). You can even look the place up on google, it's Mt. Si Motel in North Bend, WA - no mistake, same place, same white panel and brick.

what was there to not believe? you can easily see they're identical from side by side comparisons

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kaworu posted:

That hearing machine of his as a volume button, and we already seem that, when cranked up to the max, Gordon can hear even louder than a normal person, he did it before

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

...! posted:

Better Call Mitch: Shows the struggles of the Super Mitchio Bros. before they became the renowned criminals they are today. Chronicles how they met Candie and the true nature of the relationship she has with them. And why, apparently, she has nowhere else to go.

Where would she go, another castle?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Is bad Cooper gonna bring his newly earned posse
He's gotta, why else would The Fireman make sure the world's best arm wrestler is there to challenge him?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

strap on revenge posted:

what was there to not believe? you can easily see they're identical from side by side comparisons

Identical in the sense that it's the same place, but reversed (which makes sense).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why do people keep saying they want another season of this? I thought it was established that Lynch is doing this one and that's it. Did something change? Did we not learn our lesson the first time they tried that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why do people keep saying they want another season of this? I thought it was established that Lynch is doing this one and that's it. Did something change? Did we not learn our lesson the first time they tried that?

I thought the same since it was billed as a "limited series event". But there's been some hints that a new season isn't impossible:

https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/status/902177684817661952

Honestly I'd be happy to watch the continuing adventures of Cooper, Cole, and their investigations into Blue Rose cases.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's unlikely there'll be another one, but it isn't yet confirmed that there won't be. The official word is that talks between Showtime and Lynch will begin after the whole season has aired, but realistically I don't think it's been anywhere near as much of a hit as they would like.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

It depends on how it ends, but if Lynch/Frost actually want to do it, why the gently caress not

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I can't wait for the Kickstarter

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

It's unlikely there'll be another one, but it isn't yet confirmed that there won't be. The official word is that talks between Showtime and Lynch will begin after the whole season has aired, but realistically I don't think it's been anywhere near as much of a hit as they would like.

From what I've heard its ratings aren't high but its impact on subscriber numbers is extremely significant.

Also if there's any justice in the world the best actor award for Kyle, best supporting actress for Laura Dern, and best Drama awards will get some more buzz going.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 4 is the best Wire season, everyone knows this

2 is second for sure though

When I first watched The Wire, I liked Season 4 the best, but upon rewatches (for a total of three or four times) Season 2 has become my favorite season by far. It's all amazingly good, regardless.

Anyways, I always considered Twin Peaks to be among maybe my top 3 favorite TV series ever even with its obvious flaws, but with The Return included, it probably leaps to the top. I'm extremely hyped for the finale.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The guy who runs Showtime was quoted as saying they would be very interested in continuing the series but only if Lynch wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the best kind of news. Imagine Twin Peaks season 4, but without Lynch's involvement, and with "who's a tulpa" on the table as a potential gimmick. Looney Tunes signs in the Black Lodge ain't poo poo compared to the horrors a roomful of writers who smell an opportunity for weekly social media buzz could visit upon this show.