Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So we got new lab coats at the office, of course purchasing picked the lowest bidder.

The new coats are actually nice material, I don't like the blue color, but w/e it works. Of course there is a fatal flaw, they are all the same size. They fit most people, however small people look like children wearing adult clothes and heavy set folks can't even get the coats on.

And yes we had fittings; back in May.

That sounds like an HSE complaint to me. Lab coats too large for an individual's frame? That's a trip hazard. Too small to cover a heavier individual? Lack of proper PPE. I'd formally document this and get your health and safety rep involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mourne posted:

That sounds like an HSE complaint to me. Lab coats too large for an individual's frame? That's a trip hazard. Too small to cover a heavier individual? Lack of proper PPE. I'd formally document this and get your health and safety rep involved.

Seriously, those coats are for more than just show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tried to MacGyver a Keurig machine into using our own coffee, an already-used container, and parafilm.

...it did not work. I thought parafilm would have a higher melting point, but we got a nice small fountain of coffee and a melted parafilm sheen in our mug. :sigh:

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
it's a literal wax product, that is hilarious

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 23, 2017

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

vivisectvnv posted:

it's a literal wax product, that is hillaruous

We started out like Icarus, but it ended up in tragedy

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Johnny Truant posted:

Tried to MacGyver a Keurig machine into using our own coffee, an already-used container, and parafilm.

...it did not work. I thought parafilm would have a higher melting point, but we got a nice small fountain of coffee and a melted parafilm sheen in our mug. :sigh:

Yeah, but how did it taste?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, those coats are for more than just show.
In 2008, a research assistant at UCLA hosed up and sprayed herself with tert-butyllithium, an extremely pyrophoric reagent. She was wearing nitrile gloves, but she was wearing a synthetic fiber sweater instead of a lab coat, so instead of doing this

with her labcoat she :supaburn: and died of her injuries.

Very detailed examination of the incident.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I will admit to occasionally fudging PPE, but only if I'm doing stuff like filling bottles with DI water or grabbing packages from the walk-in fridge. Any actual lab work and the coat goes on.

There was a brief time when we were switching lab coat companies and had to wear disposable paper ones that absorbed liquids. As klutzy as I am that was not a fun couple weeks.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Johnny Truant posted:

Never worked with paraffin-embedding, have you?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

I will admit to occasionally fudging PPE, but only if I'm doing stuff like filling bottles with DI water or grabbing packages from the walk-in fridge. Any actual lab work and the coat goes on.

There was a brief time when we were switching lab coat companies and had to wear disposable paper ones that absorbed liquids. As klutzy as I am that was not a fun couple weeks.

We have those for tours, purchasing said we should use them when we do cryogenic fills at other sites.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

vivisectvnv posted:

it's a literal wax product, that is hilarious

kissekatt posted:

Never worked with paraffin-embedding, have you?

Oh I have, we just thought it could stand a Keurig machine, haha.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Youth Decay posted:

I will admit to occasionally fudging PPE, but

How about you stop right there. If your PPE is too cumbersome to support your throughput or otherwise a nuisance; you need to (again) document this and bring it to management's attention.

Mercy me! Some of you guys have some serious cowboy poo poo going on.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There's a guy in my lab who I've only seen wear shorts.

At least he still wears his lab coat?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Do y'all not work with nasty poo poo? It's policy in my lab(and like almost all labs) to wear pants.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Do y'all not work with nasty poo poo? It's policy in my lab(and like almost all labs) to wear pants.

Oh no, we do. Today I saw another dude wearing a tank top, and plenty of ladies wearing short skirts. :psyduck:

OHSHA be damned, apparently!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't imagine not wanting to wear pants working with murderous death chemicals.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Mourne posted:

How about you stop right there. If your PPE is too cumbersome to support your throughput or otherwise a nuisance; you need to (again) document this and bring it to management's attention.

How am I supposed to get superpowers if I'm wearing a bunch of lame rear end PPE? :colbert:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Muscular Typist posted:

How am I supposed to get superpowers if I'm wearing a bunch of lame rear end PPE? :colbert:

H7N9 pandemic inactivated influenza samples are scary poo poo, my dear sir.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Johnny Truant posted:

I wore shorts every day during the summer

under my Nomex jumpsuit

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mourne posted:

LOL my management wants us all to look like stock photos of lab scientists. Clients have to see us and think "wow real science people are here". I've bitched about corporate-pushed 5S here before and that seems to have chilled out some at least.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't imagine not wanting to wear pants working with murderous death chemicals.

I spilled just a tiny but of xylene on my pants the other day and thought the exact same thing. :iiam:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wore shorts every day during the summer

under my Nomex jumpsuit

I wear them when I bike in, so occasionally if the shower is occupied I'll just walk to my office, which crosses through the lab for a few meters. That's my way of sticking it to the (safety) dress code!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Youth Decay posted:

LOL my management wants us all to look like stock photos of lab scientists. Clients have to see us and think "wow real science people are here". I've bitched about corporate-pushed 5S here before and that seems to have chilled out some at least.

Wait, what's wrong with 5S in a laboratory setting? It keeps things organized and clean. Also helps ensure stuff isn't expiring all the time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, what's wrong with 5S in a laboratory setting? It keeps things organized and clean. Also helps ensure stuff isn't expiring all the time.

We do 5S too. It's great being able to find things! The lab's also one of the few non-clean room areas with actual work being done so we get tours all the time. I am sure the suits like that we stay clean. Plus the whole safety aspect of not having a cluttered mess of a lab.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Solkanar512 posted:

Me from earlier ITT posted:

Oh god, our lab is implementing this 5S crap and we get monthly inspections by their secret police. They enacted a no lab coats on the backs of chairs policy for every lab, along with no reagents at the bench, no items on the top shelf above the benches, have all the individual bench spaces barren and everything goes in the common area . The goal is to have everything look all neat and clean and tidy for the client auditors while making it less convenient for us analysts to actually do our jobs.

Like I said, they've gotten a bit more sane about it since then following complaints from PIs/managers. There's a difference between keeping things organized and marking us off for stuff like having handwritten labels instead of typed.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Regarding 5S stuff. When they did this for our lab, the guy watched us for 5 days, had no clue what we were doing and frequently remarked that we worked balls to the wall. We're understaffed and have doubled throughput with no new equipment and only 14 heads instead of 12. That 14 counts deputy director through entry level tech.

When he left, absolutely nothing changed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mourne posted:

Regarding 5S stuff. When they did this for our lab, the guy watched us for 5 days, had no clue what we were doing and frequently remarked that we worked balls to the wall. We're understaffed and have doubled throughput with no new equipment and only 14 heads instead of 12. That 14 counts deputy director through entry level tech.

When he left, absolutely nothing changed.

As in, he recommended no changes because you were doing well? Or as in, stuff changed but everyone ignored it?

If it was the former, sounds like he might have actually done his job correctly in a way. Evaluate for improvements, then don't fix things that aren't broken. :) The worst are people who come in and change things to make their mark / because they're paid to change things without any regard for the actual benefit of the change. I like 5S. I like organizational programs and information retention systems. I hate either one when poorly implemented almost as much as I hate six-sigma environments whose full scope of implementation is "say a few japanese words here and there throughout the day, claim success." Wandering around the floor and doing a safety walkthrough isn't a gemba walk. Your morning activity priority meeting is not a kaizen. Shut up and actually learn what the gently caress you're implementing, then come back and look at your labs again, please.

Edit: (Generic rant you, not YOU you. Just to be clear. ;))

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Might be in over my head posting this. Be gentle goons, for my confidence is already shaken.

Recent university grad. B.A in biological anthropology. Want to pursue grad school soon, but academic burnout took hold so I'm taking at least a year or two off before going into the meat grinder again. The programs I'm looking at really want students to have experience working in a lab. In grad school, I'd like to get into analyzing stable isotopes to run some projects of human nutrition. Equally exciting but totally different would be looking at paleoanthropological remains, such as pollen spores or food/fecal remains in archaeological sites like Çatalhöyük in Turkey or whatever other cool stuff is in the cradle of civilization. I've had some lab experience at my university. But all that experience is pretty much restricted to science-fair grade DNA fingerprinting/barcoding.

I think working in a lab setting would really help out my chances here, but theres a problem: all the entry level lab tech jobs in town require prior experience in similar fields. I've been getting rejected on my applications because I lack experience (even when I'm technically qualified on their requirements). The only places I seemingly have a non-zero chance of getting into are food safety labs, which may or may not be related. But it should be a good stepping stone right? Provided it is a logical first step, how can I convince a company to take in a **very green** worker?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Preferably use your professional network to get your foot in the door.

The main thing those "entry level" openings want experience for is just general production lab experience. It's a big jump in work load going from academic lab where work happens at whatever pace to a production lab where they wanted results an hour ago. Hiring managers don't like techs who can't prove they can handle the work load.

Sooooo you'll be fine career wise if you spend a year or two in QC hell if that's what doors open for you. Stick to stuff vaguely related to where you want to go, however. Don't go joining a municipal poo poo plant when you want to stay in food. Wrong hole and all. Food safety actually might prove useful since you'll pick up some knowledge about that area of nutritional science.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Sundae posted:

As in, he recommended no changes because you were doing well? Or as in, stuff changed but everyone ignored it?

If it was the former, sounds like he might have actually done his job correctly in a way. Evaluate for improvements, then don't fix things that aren't broken. :) The worst are people who come in and change things to make their mark / because they're paid to change things without any regard for the actual benefit of the change. I like 5S. I like organizational programs and information retention systems. I hate either one when poorly implemented almost as much as I hate six-sigma environments whose full scope of implementation is "say a few japanese words here and there throughout the day, claim success." Wandering around the floor and doing a safety walkthrough isn't a gemba walk. Your morning activity priority meeting is not a kaizen. Shut up and actually learn what the gently caress you're implementing, then come back and look at your labs again, please.

Edit: (Generic rant you, not YOU you. Just to be clear. ;))

We must be in the same field, possibly the same (large) organization. We have "gemba walks" where different managers come through and yell at us about form versions and having documents out.

Basically, the 5S guy said we can, with our current staff, test 50 widgets a day, process 30 widgets, and produce results for 30 widgets. Nevermind that if we did that, we'd have 20 procedural deviations a day because our document says we have to process all 50 widgets tested the day before. It was just completely unhelpful. No, we can't actually test 50 widgets per day and only process 30. That's not how this works dude.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I think it's an "everywhere" problem. I'm in big pharma, and the company I was talking about was my former employer, a subsidiary of J&J.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Peter Thiel, noted socipathic monster with a love of pseudoscience, recently funded a clinical trial for a herpes vaccine. By "trial", I mean he paid the academic researcher, William Halford, to send participants to St Kitts in the Caribbean, and did...whatever the trial was without Institutional Review Board oversight. Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) are the backbone of research participant protections and most research ethics in the US, and are required by law several different ways for and FDA drug trial run by a scientist with academic affiliations. I was really worried that this ws to set up a scenario where the FDA, under the control of a Trump appointee, would use the study to justify unraveling IRBs and the decades of research protections they entail.

Well it turns out Halford sent the study in for peer-reviewed publication. I'm not so worried anymore. Crossposting from pseudoscience thread because I thought folks would enjoy the most rigorous methods of drug development that money can buy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 30, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discendo Vox posted:

Peter Thiel, noted socipathic monster with a love of pseudoscience, recently funded a clinical trial for a herpes vaccine. By "trial", I mean he paid the academic researcher, William Halford, to send participants to St Kitts in the Caribbean, and did...whatever the trial was without Institutional Review Board oversight. Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) are the backbone of research participant protections and most research ethics in the US, and are required by law several different ways for and FDA drug trial run by a scientist with academic affiliations. I was really worried that this ws to set up a scenario where the FDA, under the control of a Trump appointee, would use the study to justify unraveling IRBs and the decades of research protections they entail.

Well it turns out Halford sent the study in for peer-reviewed publication. I'm not so worried anymore. Crossposting from pseudoscience thread because I thought folks would enjoy the most rigorous methods of drug development that money can buy.

Been following this for a bit and it's amazing / sad / hilarious.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jesus loving Christ I want to throw my microtome out the goddamn window right now, if it's not one thing it's another :bang:

I gotta look into optimizing our tissue processing protocol, I think our samples are becoming overhardened.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Why is it phds take twice as long to do everything?

My boss handed out newish phd a urgent sample to analyze and they are taking twice as long as our other newish hire who just has a masters. Meanwhile I have production screaming for a result and apparently get to stay late to review this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Why is it phds take twice as long to do everything?

My boss handed out newish phd a urgent sample to analyze and they are taking twice as long as our other newish hire who just has a masters. Meanwhile I have production screaming for a result and apparently get to stay late to review this.

Hush, they're special important snowflakes because they know how to research things. Know your place, Muppet. :v:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So we got new lab coats at the office, of course purchasing picked the lowest bidder.

The new coats are actually nice material, I don't like the blue color, but w/e it works. Of course there is a fatal flaw, they are all the same size. They fit most people, however small people look like children wearing adult clothes and heavy set folks can't even get the coats on.

And yes we had fittings; back in May.

So today, first thing in the morning a new round of fittings was announced for today. Let's see if the company can get more than half of them right. Although if a month from now I'm posting about how no one got the right size I wouldn't be surprised.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Holy moly I have an interview for an entry level lab tech position. I still feel really in over my head about this. But I'm hoping my charisma works to compensate for my limited prior experience!

I mean, they called me when I was in the drive thru of a burger joint, and because my phone was paired to my car a weird way, they heard the music I was playing. But I guess that didn't scare them away either. So here's hoping something positive happens!

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

buglord posted:

Holy moly I have an interview for an entry level lab tech position.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are there preferred jobs sites for careers in the natural sciences/for science degree-havers? Went from a lab role to a Regulatory role and am bored as poo poo and looking for a change of pace, but am trying to look at lots of different options since I can't tell if I hate my job or just hate my employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I can't tell if I hate my job or just hate my employer.

Why not both?