Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Abel Wingnut posted:

that makes sense but i didn't detect/feel/sense that at all

It makes sense if the characters knew they were in a TV show and were trying to create drama and suspense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did anyone on the show ever ask what happened to the kingsguard arya killed in bravos? Like he just doesnt come back and noone cared?

They didnt even give a poo poo what happened to an entire noble house- House Frey.

What are you gonna do? Send a CSI unit?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Constant posted:

They didnt even give a poo poo what happened to an entire noble house- House Frey.

I think Jaime at least MENTIONS the Frey's in passing when he was talking to Cersei about how many enemies they have in one of the opening episodes this season. Something along the lines of "And whoever killed the Frey's, they're not on our side either!". But that's it.

As for Ser Meryn Trant, he was basically a redshirt that had some screentime because he killed Arya's Water Dancer fellow. To quote the Hound: "Any boy whore with a sword could beat three Meryn Trants."...which coincidentally, it was a girl posing as a girl whore with a dagger that killed him. So the Hound overestimated Mr. Trant when he said that.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Splendid posted:

It wasn't a divorce, it was an annulment, meaning that technically he was never married to Elia and, I guess, that all his children by her are bastards and Jon becomes his only heir.

Under Catholicism they would not be bastards since legitimacy merely requires a putative marriage. I'm not even sure how it would affect succession. Mary I was from an annulled marriage but still became queen after Henry VIII's son died. No clue how it would work in GoT though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did anyone on the show ever ask what happened to the kingsguard arya killed in bravos? Like he just doesnt come back and noone cared?

At least no one seemed to ever give a poo poo about him.

The show made it pretty clear that Margeary was the most popular person in KL (certainly more popular than Cersei), and yet blowing her up with 200 other people in the middle of the city had 0 political blowback for Cersei.

Oh except for Olenna turning on her I guess, but just Olenna since her army didn't.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Reflections85 posted:

Under Catholicism they would not be bastards since legitimacy merely requires a putative marriage. I'm not even sure how it would affect succession. Mary I was from an annulled marriage but still became queen after Henry VIII's son died. No clue how it would work in GoT though.

Wasn't that a special case though? Didn't Henry go through Parliament to get Mary recognized as his daughter? But let's be real. The show writers don't give that big of a poo poo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

precision posted:

Even so, the way it was written/filmed/shot made it super weird. How did the Mountain know she was bluffing?

What are you on about? She let him go. That's what the nod was for.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Jaime asks Cersei to give the order and she gives a vague nod towards the Mountain; it's not really an order to kill Jaime. As everyone with visual memory, auditory memory and empathy knows, Zombie-Mountain didn't just oblige Tyrion with suicide either.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYOkYquttQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZioX4y3f8E

A friend just sent me this and I'm laughing my rear end off watching The Tumblr Bar reacts to GoT

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 30, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lezard_valeth posted:

A friend just sent me this and I'm laughing my rear end off watching The Tumblr Bar reacts to GoT

Without clicking, is that the Burlington Bar poo poo? Their videos give me all the cringe and it fills me with life.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yup.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

its cool they got to watch the ep with euron

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lezard_valeth posted:

jesus these people are terrifically awful

thankin' you for that, :lol:

ahaha they're all drinking High Life

it's like 2005 died and rotted in there

precision fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 30, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

the tumblr bar is great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish anything in life made me as excited as those people are pretending to be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

precision posted:

I wish anything in life made me as excited as those people are pretending to be.

hey I legitimately cheered when Arya sliced Petyr's smug throat, but I also look and act like a loving adult and not 2005 hipster culture frozen and resurrected.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

This week's Twin Peaks did that for me tbh, but in general :same:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Spoils of War one had me laughing out so hard

The three girls in the front were cheering when the dragons burns the army

but then they are almost crying when Jaime is watching the people burning and screaming

way to take queues from the music to know how you are supposed to react

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is the level of viewer that D&D and Dave Hill are targeting.

No wonder they spelled out Jon's parentage so explicitly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've been doing this at that bar for a while, so there's plenty of cringe for you all to enjoy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

esperterra posted:

They've been doing this at that bar for a while, so there's plenty of cringe for you all to enjoy.

They make more money from Youtube than from bar sales. That's loving insane.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WampaLord posted:

This is the level of viewer that D&D and Dave Hill are targeting.

No wonder they spelled out Jon's parentage so explicitly.

It's also why the idea that Dany is going to have poo poo flung at her rotting corpse doesn't ring true.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

I miss Olenna. I wonder what quips she'd make during the Cersei and Dany meeting?
Also, the casting choice for Rhaegar was actually quite good - looking similar to Viserys. I was hoping they'd tell Jon - but naturally, it's put off until next season.

What I don't understand is how the magic of the wall seemingly was completely forgotten. Why bother having Benjen mention it if no magic is happening? There must be some remnant of magic in the ice that was destroyed, right?

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's also why the idea that Dany is going to have poo poo flung at her rotting corpse doesn't ring true.

although i'd enjoy watching the bar reaction video if it happened

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I wish anything in life made me excited

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Valar Morghulis posted:

I miss Olenna. I wonder what quips she'd make during the Cersei and Dany meeting?
Also, the casting choice for Rhaegar was actually quite good - looking similar to Viserys. I was hoping they'd tell Jon - but naturally, it's put off until next season.

What I don't understand is how the magic of the wall seemingly was completely forgotten. Why bother having Benjen mention it if no magic is happening? There must be some remnant of magic in the ice that was destroyed, right?

if they even bothered they could just handwave it as: dragon = magic cancels wall magic

or bring up the Bran mark thing

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Remember in an interview a while ago Euron's actor said he was going to be more hated than Joffrey? He didn't give more details but he knows he's gonna be having poo poo flung at a kelly c corpse and people are gonna hate his guts in real life

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao at the latest Preston Jacobs video. I didn't even notice most of the completely batshit insane writing mistakes and inconsistencies, so much of the dialog is just complete nonsense gibberish now, it doesn't mean anything :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bottom Liner posted:

They make more money from Youtube than from bar sales. That's loving insane.

oh my god when they talk it's even worse

and... "SJW-ettes"? really???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkxhPPlF-Ho

this is irony right

this has to be ironyborn

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
"

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lmao at the latest Preston Jacobs video. I didn't even notice most of the completely batshit insane writing mistakes and inconsistencies, so much of the dialog is just complete nonsense gibberish now, it doesn't mean anything :allears:

"oh come on maybe this scene takes place over several hours" :lol:

As the quality of the show has gone down, the quality of Preston's videos has gone up.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

"

"oh come on maybe this scene takes place over several hours" :lol:

As the quality of the show has gone down, the quality of Preston's videos has gone up.

I don't know why, but Sam assigned to transcribe a 20y old book for the library did it for me. I genuinely started laughing how that made zero loving sense

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sam's grand arc being all about figuring out stuff that the viewers and other characters already knew is really the best. The fact that in one case it was something that Sam already knew was really amazing.

One must also wonder wtf does Rhaegar's marriage even mean by this point, it changes nothing, the reveal comes at the point where the plot it was supposed to entangle is already resolved and creates no tension whatsoever. Will Dany think Jon is suddenly going to usurp her? are we supposed to turn off our brains and thing it will cause strife between them? For once Jon already vowed allegiance to Dany, and he was a King even before people knew he was the rightful heir, so who gives a hoot?

"Hi Dany, turns out I'm the rightful king"
"Oh but we're already married, we can just keep ruling together I guess?"
"Yeah."
"Yeah."

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 30, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest the Mountain vs. Viper duel ending had me groan in real life too, even though I'm a book reader and I knew what was gonna happen. Some of my friends said they were legit shocked for the Red Wedding.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Finally getting to the entire premise the show was about isn't a good thing?

It's called Game of Thrones, not A Song of Ice and Fire Dragons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Valar Morghulis posted:

The show forgets poo poo at the speed of light, lately. And they already had a setup to dispel the magic: the mark the Night's King put on Bran. Just one throwaway line or moment to make us realize his passing through the wall got rid of its magic.

Speaking of poo poo from like last year they forgot entirely, why the gently caress didn't Randyll Tarly send someone after Sam to get the family sword back? It goes missing in the middle of the night after he fucks off, Randyll knows he's going to Oldtown, and he doesn't do anything? Does the show even remember Sam took it?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TeaJay posted:

To be honest the Mountain vs. Viper duel ending had me groan in real life too, even though I'm a book reader and I knew what was gonna happen. Some of my friends said they were legit shocked for the Red Wedding.

I had read the books and knew it was coming and was still shocked at the pregnant lady belly stabbing.

The amount of shock started as a wide eyed indoor voice "holy poo poo" and escalated to me still being silently stunned by it and discussing it on facebook with my friends who were also shocked.

Not screaming at the tops of my lungs while flailing my arms over my head and grasping and shaking whoever I had sitting next to me.

But even then just by searching on youtube I know some people did react that way. To the Red Wedding The one were they stabbed a pregnant lady on the belly. I can understand that. Not the Wall collapsing, specially more so when we all knew that was gonna happen eventually.

And the Red Wedding reaction was a consistent reaction too. Not loving cheering for an army of people getting roasted and then start crying when the PoV and BGM changes. I hate doing real life comparisons but since dragons are fantasy nukes this is the equivalent of cheering over the bomb drop over Hiroshima and then being shocked and crying because "Oh I guess killing people actually makes them go dead. Who would have seen this coming?".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sam's grand arc being all about figuring out stuff that the viewers and other characters already knew is really the best. The fact that in one case it was something that Sam already knew was really amazing.

One must also wonder wtf does Rhaegar's marriage even mean by this point, it changes nothing, the reveal comes at the point where the plot it was supposed to entangle is already resolved and creates no tension whatsoever. Will Dany think Jon is suddenly going to usurp her? are we supposed to turn off our brains and thing it will cause strife between them? For once Jon already vowed allegiance to Dany, and he was a King even before people knew he was the rightful heir, so who gives a hoot?

"Hi Dany, turns out I'm the rightful king"
"Oh but we're already married, we can just keep ruling together I guess?"
"Yeah."
"Yeah."

I would hope it would lead toward there being strife post WW war between them, because they'll hopefully not be boning any more when Jon finds out she's his aunt, but the show isn't clever enough to have Jon being heir in line before Dany having any impact whatsoever on their relationship, or the plot. I also fully expect them to have Bran and Sam hold off on telling Jon about his parents, because they'll realize Jon and Dany are bonin' and that's awkward. If I had any integrity I would toxx that Jon doesn't learn until the finale, if at all. But alas for I am a cheap woman and :10bux: could buy me most of a pack smokes instead. They're pricey up north.

idk maybe it means Dany dies so Jon will be king.

e: ^^^ Oberyn's death was the only one that really made me gasp out loud while reading it. The Red Wedding surprised me, but it was drawn out and had Cat noticing something was wrong from the beginning. Oberyn stepped in as this big character and our first real window into Dorne, and Elia's side of the Rhaegar/Lyanna situation. Then his fuckin head exploded.

The show delivered for me, it was exceptional even w/ all the cutting between shots they were doing during the fight. The death, though, was as gruesome and sudden as it needed to be, and Jaime's expression and Ellaria's fuckin screams of anguish were A+. Shame they gave Indira Varma nothing of value after that.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 30, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
With the episode on Monday it's the first time that people I've been watching it with (and the wider audience) haven't been happy about an episode.
Mostly the consensus seems to be "So what was littlefinger's plan anyway??". Not just in this episode but at all, ever. What was his plan? It's like his entire character has now been totally wasted.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

What was his plan?

He got botulism when he arrived at Winterfell and never really recovered from the brain damage, we'll never learn his plan now. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Well this season was a mess, I can't say that I regret how they're doing the show's endgame though, since everything the show has ever done good or bad has always in some way made me appreciate the books more and more. Going into the end If I had to rank how they handled the show as a whole, I would rank it like,

God Tier
Lena Headey's performance throughout the entire show

Excellent Tier
Almost Everything King's Landing related in Seasons 1, 2, & 3
Ned's death
Battle of Blackwater
The Mountain and the Viper
Arya in S1-4
The Hound in S2-4
The Red Wedding scene on its own
Theon's S2 storyline
Casting of Tyrion, Arya, Theon, Tywin, & Joffrey
the visual execution of the Tower of Joy reveal

Good Tier
changes in Sam's overall attitude/personality in the show v. the books
Dany's story in S1 & S3
Jon's story in S3, S5, & S6
most of the overall main cast
S7 Euron
Hold the Door
the Walk of Shame
The Spoils of War
Jaime in S1-3
Sept explosion

Inconsistent Tier
The overall pacing of the series episode per episode
The rest of Jon and Dany's storylines
Tyrion and Shae
Tyrion post season 4
Sansa post season 4
Littlefinger's accent
Ramsay in S5
Theon's arc in S5 & S7
Robb's story in S2 & S3
the level of spectacle in the last three seasons
The overall Iron Islands storyline
The Night King as a villain
Jaime Post Season 3
Stannis

poo poo Tier
Having the tragic fall and end of Stannis in S5 occur over the span of just two episodes
Killing Mance Rayder
Arya in S5 & 6
Littlefinger post S4
Varys in S7
the decision that S7 only needed 7 episodes
Everything else besides Oberyn relating to Dorne
No One
Beyond the Wall
Unbent Unbowed, Broken

e: gently caress im writing too much about this dumb show, am I now the tv show version of the book thread posters

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread