Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got my work laptop today

it’s a 2017 retina mbp with 512gb ssd and 16 gigs of ram :eyepop:

I also get my first figgies this week. hale yase

i take it you don't use vim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hobbesmaster posted:

i take it you don't use vim?

emacs

the pixels are beautiful on my retina screen.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remap escape anyways, that poo poo is hitler on the mbps.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I lead a major outage response for a week straight and a high level engineer emailed good job and then a vice president wrote "+100".

Now I have, like, 100 vice presidents worth of personal praise. Still waiting for an actual bonus or something though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ShadowHawk posted:

I lead a major outage response for a week straight and a high level engineer emailed good job and then a vice president wrote "+100".

Now I have, like, 100 vice presidents worth of personal praise. Still waiting for an actual bonus or something though.

one of the execs at my job gave me a $150 gift card just for dropping everything and spending my evening driving a few hours out to a remote site to do an emergency hard drive swap (big computer controlled machine was down and impacting performance at the plant)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MononcQc posted:

Also at this point I'm not too worries about cutting payroll. They've been growing their market nearly 30% a year for over 10 years non-stop. When it stabilizes and stalls I'll see, but something tells me people, corporations, and governments investing in security and surveillance is not going to become an irrelevant market in a couple of weeks.

all it'll take is a quarter with only 20% annualized growth

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Remap escape anyways, that poo poo is hitler on the mbps.

Yep, caps lock became escape real quick.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of the execs at my job gave me a $150 gift card just for dropping everything and spending my evening driving a few hours out to a remote site to do an emergency hard drive swap (big computer controlled machine was down and impacting performance at the plant)

did you tell him you want a real bonus instead of peanuts being tossed at you?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i hope you at least expensed the mileage you put on your car at the IRS rate

and had a nice expensed meal

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I miss the helpdesk job I did at college during the summer going into my senior year.

Campus was mostly empty, got to hang out with friends all day long, and got to wander around campus doing poo poo like replacing hardware.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rofl. What a bunch of loving cunts.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i hope you at least expensed the mileage you put on your car at the IRS rate

and had a nice expensed meal

i drove a company car b/c my car was in the shop, but yeah i always expense mileage whenever i drive for work

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

did you tell him you want a real bonus instead of peanuts being tossed at you?

lol it's way more than what shadowhawk got for a week of busting his rear end

i'm not pitching a snit over not getting enough extra money, i knew that "we need someone to drive a couple hundred miles on short notice" was eventually going to happen when i took this job.

it's okay though because this job is generally low-pressure as gently caress. everyone's positive and pleasant to deal with. even the sales guys are chill. i'll take low stress and job security over higher pay any year.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sounds like they've successfully made a bitch of you

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Schadenboner posted:

So do we know what Stymie actually does?

My money is on senior software developer engineer at Uber, an MBA in MIS, and a former TKE brother.
junior assistant lot lizard

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

lol it's way more than what shadowhawk got for a week of busting his rear end
Technically I at least got my normal oncall compensation for this (2/3 pay for each hour after business hours, so 6-10pm x 5 days, or 13.3 hours pay). But I get that when oncall even if nothing pages.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i'll take low stress and job security over higher pay any year.
i mean just go be a librarian then or something.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

all it'll take is a quarter with only 20% annualized growth

I think that's already done tbh

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Interviewed for a job a few weeks ago, technical director told me 2 weeks ago that an offer was in progress. Asked him yesterday what's taking so long, said he's out of country and will call me next week. Guessing :rip:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

The happiest job I ever had was as a parkie during high school. Spearing trash and setting up snow-fence (to retain crowds at the lakefront) wasn't that bad and during the school year I worked part-time as a parking booth guy on the weekends.

Smoked pot and listened to NPR.

I did the parks during high school and then for one summer in college before I got my internship I worked as a landscaper for this guy who was horribly understaffed and overbooked. He was an rear end in a top hat to the point that all of his experienced full-timers quit on him and he thought that he could just replace them with a bunch of college kids and their productivity would be the same. Made a lot of overtime that summer.

Schadenboner posted:

So do we know what Stymie actually does?

My money is on senior software developer engineer at Uber, an MBA in MIS, and a former TKE brother.

I partied a lot with a TKE brother in college and when their local chapter had some sexual assault scandals he dealt with it by going on a drunken rant to me about how it was bullshit. He was exactly what you'd expect him to look and act like.

Also new job can't come soon enough. One of my coworkers just defended google memo guy. :whitewater:

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 30, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

John Big Booty posted:

junior assistant lot lizard

I was gonna guess a sophomore communications major

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Munkeymon posted:

I was gonna guess a sophomore communications major
You might be surprised how much one follows the other. You shouldn't be, but you might.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Diva Cupcake posted:

why?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

I did the parks during high school and then for one summer in college before I got my internship I worked as a landscaper for this guy who was horribly understaffed and overbooked. He was an rear end in a top hat to the point that all of his experienced full-timers quit on him and he thought that he could just replace them with a bunch of college kids and their productivity would be the same. Made a lot of overtime that summer.

I partied a lot with a TKE brother in college and when their local chapter had some sexual assault scandals he dealt with it by going on a drunken rant to me about how it was bullshit. He was exactly what you'd expect him to look and act like.

Also new job can't come soon enough. One of my coworkers just defended google memo guy. :whitewater:

remember when the tkes were finally banned from whitewater after they burned their house down for the 8th straight academic year?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Diva Cupcake posted:

good luck with that, librarian jobs turn out to be hard to find and tend to require an MLS to even be considered

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

eschaton posted:

good luck with that, librarian jobs turn out to be hard to find and tend to require an MLS to even be considered

the librarian racket is "would you like to be considered for a job in sisterfuck, arkansas that pays about as much as a veterinary assistant but still requires a master's degree?"

no?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ultravoices posted:

the librarian racket is "would you like to be considered for a job in sisterfuck, arkansas that pays about as much as a veterinary assistant but still requires a master's degree?"

no?

lol if you think arkansas still funds libraries

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

yes but it is it stressful? we're looking for no stress low pay here.

computer touching is the opposite.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

computer touching is as low stress as it comes as long as you learn the signs of Caring and act accordingly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the cushy mls gig is working inside a huge company managing taxonomy or their archives

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

yes but it is it stressful? we're looking for no stress low pay here.

computer touching is the opposite.

have you been in a public library recently?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ultravoices posted:

have you been in a public library recently?
absolutely not. who borrows non-money paper in 2017? libraries must get like 3-4 visitors a day.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

absolutely not. who borrows non-money paper in 2017? libraries must get like 3-4 visitors a day.

my local library prints a receipt that says "you have saved $whatever by using our services today, thank you"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

computer touching is as low stress as it comes as long as you learn the signs of Caring and act accordingly

depends on the place of course but way too many places have very poor job security and demand that you work 60 hours per week or you get fired.

the pay is good but rest assured they're working hard on every possible way of flooding the labor market to do away with that issue.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

remember when the tkes were finally banned from whitewater after they burned their house down for the 8th straight academic year?

I am a young boy so I might be too young to have heard about it and only had one friend that went to whitewater for about a year before he dropped out so I'll just take your word for it.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

they have computers there. and internet.

if you have neither at home, the library is a place where you can have access to these things.

they are full.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your local lib probably has a bunch of archived town stuff which can be interesting. I want to go get stuff related to the building I'm in which was a mill built in like 1912

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ultravoices posted:

they have computers there. and internet.

if you have neither at home, the library is a place where you can have access to these things.

they are full.
old people and retirees love them

also parents with small kids

lots of public libraries are half-book lending, half-video store (mine has a nice collection of criterion dvds)

public internet terminals

lots of desks and study carrells for teens

public libraries own (as long as youre in a place where they arent just day-shelters for the homeless and uninstitutionalized)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FMguru posted:

old people and retirees love them

also parents with small kids

lots of public libraries are half-book lending, half-video store (mine has a nice collection of criterion dvds)

public internet terminals

lots of desks and study carrells for teens

public libraries own (as long as youre in a place where they arent just day-shelters for the homeless and uninstitutionalized)

also if you're poor your only internet access is often your phone so the library computers make good job-application machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Just got an email that the interview I was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon had to get moved. Now I'm getting interviewed Tuesday afternoon and instead of the panel having 1 engineering manager on it there are 2 of them :downs:

• Locked thread