Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Clip shows are almost always a waste but at least the enemy roll call in this week's Kyuranger was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

Clip shows are almost always a waste but at least the enemy roll call in this week's Kyuranger was pretty funny.

I liked when Xiao hosed up his back and fell over just in time for the Kyuranger explosion. Clip show was dumb as hell, but I liked the payoff with the dueling roll-calls.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Go-Busters is trying so hard it hurts: the duo went into their special chutes, put on their sunglasses, emerged from their chutes into a bright and sunny area where a monster's attacking... and both immediately ripped their sunglasses off and threw them to the side before morphin'.

I'm still laughing. :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

StrixNebulosa posted:

Go-Busters is trying so hard it hurts: the duo went into their special chutes, put on their sunglasses, emerged from their chutes into a bright and sunny area where a monster's attacking... and both immediately ripped their sunglasses off and threw them to the side before morphin'.

Go-Busters is very good, yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Theory: Every character or group that uses the English "let's" in their transformation phrase is quality. Go-Busters, Mach... I can't think of any other examples, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Counterpoint: Mach is a piece of poo poo.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Caphi posted:

Counterpoint: Mach is a piece of poo poo.

As someone currently rewatching Drive (I don't like the show but I'm watching it as riffing material with a friend) Gou is indeed trash, but is at least more interesting than Shinnosuke. (Also, it is utterly hilarious how many episodes involve Gou just doing investigations offscreen much better than the actual police detectives.)

Chase is still best Drive Rider by far. (And is responsible for a running gag between me and my friend that Chase is perfectly capable of emotion, he just doesn't like anyone in the cast other than Kiriko and maybe Heart and just does his job so he can go home for the night. He's programmed to be a Rider, and he'll do it since he has no choice. And half his lines are amazing if you read them as sarcastic as possible. Heart is best character, and I would love a series where the main character was someone like him dealing with an inverse situation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I loved Drive when I was watching it week to week, but I feel like if I was to watch it again, I would feel like everything it does, either Ex Aid or Fourze does better. Aside from Heart and Chase, the Bugsters are more interesting antagonists, and Fourze absolutely does the ultimate form literally brings the main character back from the dead thing better.

All three have great endings, though, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Edit: Drive did have some really excellent suit design, though. Even Technique and Formula eventually grew on me. Meanwhile, Sagittarius Supernova never stopped looking stupid to me, and Cosmic is an absolutely ridiculous suit that I love despite its design, not because of it.

Edit 2: Virgo is a dude is my favorite twist in any toku, full stop, but Drive did manage some decent ones.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I loved Drive when I was watching it week to week, but I feel like if I was to watch it again, I would feel like everything it does, either Ex Aid or Fourze does better. Aside from Heart and Chase, the Bugsters are more interesting antagonists, and Fourze absolutely does the ultimate form literally brings the main character back from the dead thing better.

All three have great endings, though, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Come at me. :P In all seriousness, the Drive ending's main weird point for me is how Shinnosuke ends up fighting the random Sigma Circular thing while Gou and Chase have the actually interesting fight with the actual main villain. (In part because Chase and Gou have much more of a connection to the plot than Shinnosuke.) I don't even think Riku Sanjou was interested in Shinnosuke. :P

I'm also very annoyed by the "kill em all" treatment of the Roidmudes, especially given you can reduce them to a core State where they could be probably easily arrested (Medic keeps Brain's core form on a leash at one point) in, you know, a cop show. It's even more insane given Type ZERO states Proto-Drive could only return Roidmudes to core state and they had to invent a way for final Drive to destroy them, which means they had a perfectly non-lethal weapon and decided to make it more lethal for police use. Chase even brings up early on in his Machine Chaser days that he considers himself more moral than Drive because he doesn't permakill Roidmudes and Shinnosuke never even thinks about this. Even when later on he decides Roidmudes are people too, his conclusion is as a friend said, to "kill them all to their face."

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 29, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

gourdcaptain posted:

As someone currently rewatching Drive (I don't like the show but I'm watching it as riffing material with a friend) Gou is indeed trash, but is at least more interesting than Shinnosuke. (Also, it is utterly hilarious how many episodes involve Gou just doing investigations offscreen much better than the actual police detectives.)

This is actually bad because he's really smug about it and neither Shin nor Kiriko has done anything to deserve being taken down a peg, so Go is just an unpleasant rear end in a top hat who gets to waltz in from off screen with photos and then mock the protagonists for not doing anything wrong other than having to do work, and on top of that is both destructively unprofessional and essentially racist.

What makes it 100 times worse is that a genuinely good character like Chase gets sacrificed so he can kind of learn a lesson long after it has a point.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Caphi posted:

This is actually bad because he's really smug about it and neither Shin nor Kiriko has done anything to deserve being taken down a peg, so Go is just an unpleasant rear end in a top hat who gets to waltz in from off screen with photos and then mock the protagonists for not doing anything wrong other than having to do work, and on top of that is both destructively unprofessional and essentially racist.

What makes it 100 times worse is that a genuinely good character like Chase gets sacrificed so he can kind of learn a lesson long after it has a point.

Agreed on all points. I said Gou was at least less boring (than Shin, Kiriko had a lot of wasted potential), not good (I did call him trash for a reason) or good for the show, and Chase's death is the worst.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It helps to think of Gou as an antagonist pretending to be a protagonist. Meanwhile, Chase is a better protagonist than Shin and Gou combined, because he's a tragic hero, while Shin waltzes through things on the power of his belt and his magic toy cars becoming more and more aggressively OP every time someone starts to pose a threat.

... You know, maybe I don't like Drive as much as I thought.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 29, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

It helps to think of Gou as an antagonist pretending to be a protagonist. Meanwhile, Chase is a better protagonist than Shin and Gou combined, because he's a tragic hero, while Shin waltzes through things on the power of his belt and his magic toy cars becoming more and more aggressively OP every time someone starts to pose a threat.

... You know, maybe I don't like Drive as much as I thought.

Pretty much. Sarcastic Chase started as a riff in the scene where after Gou screws up royally with a ridiculously stupid fake defector plot and is breaking down after even he realized what a screw up that is, Chase says roughly "It's clear to me that you are a true Kamen Rider." Immediate reply from friend: "You know, like that Kaixa guy."

EDIT: There's also the bit during the Freeze arc where Shinnosuke actually has to investigate on his own since Gou's "defected", Krim refuses to help, and Chase is busy avoiding all the jerks who treat him badly, and he keeps repeatedly nearly getting himself killed over the course of three episodes repeatedly doing suicidally dangerous things for no good reason. "Okay, maybe Shinnosuke is better off letting other people do all the work. I hear those Shift Car guys are competent?"

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 29, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
drive rules because it has a toy car that is sad in the rain, gently caress all of you i will lock this fuckin thread and nobody will go to disneyland

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

But without Tokyo Dome, we lose like a third of our filming locations. :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Pretty much. Sarcastic Chase started as a riff in the scene where after Gou screws up royally with a ridiculously stupid fake defector plot and is breaking down after even he realized what a screw up that is, Chase says roughly "It's clear to me that you are a true Kamen Rider." Immediate reply from friend: "You know, like that Kaixa guy."

Gou is more or less what you'd get if Kusaka was just a douchebag rather than being pure evil. Somehow he's not quite as entertaining though (but I will admit his debut was kind of funny).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really wished they kept that gag up throughout the series.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Gou is more or less what you'd get if Kusaka was just a douchebag rather than being pure evil. Somehow he's not quite as entertaining though (but I will admit his debut was kind of funny).

That, and Faiz knew Kusaka was an out and out villain (also, Kohei Murakami is legit amazing in that role). Drive legitimately thinks Gou is a cool good guy (dear lord, the lyrics to his insert song Full Throttle.)

Xelkelvos posted:

I really wished they kept that gag up throughout the series.

Go-Busters is so great like that. :)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Mach is a hero and also your lovely little brother. The duality of little brothers.

His relationship with Shinnosuke is the best because he can see what's happening between his sister and Shin and most of that 'sarcastic' big bro talk is actually just him being super earnest.

I love Gou and his boyfriend Chase.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Okay, since Ex-Aid apparently gets amazing, I guess I should try to finish the series now. Better late than never. :v:

Picking up from episode 11. Game on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexie posted:

Okay, since Ex-Aid apparently gets amazing, I guess I should try to finish the series now. Better late than never. :v:

Picking up from episode 11. Game on.

Please livepost it like Waffleman_. Watching people hit the meaty part of Ex-Aid in real time gives me life.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is a good place to pick up on, and it is both sad and amusing (if you were previously watching it in real time previously) that you stopped where you did.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Shushuttoo/status/902626406110257153

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/glitterotic/status/902475080227160064

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

drive rules because it has a toy car that is sad in the rain

This is also why Go-Onger rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good news, Overtime will in fact be subbing Build:

http://over-ti.me/releases/see-ya-weekend-build-airs/

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, this thing might be about 20 minutes instead of 15, but then again I'm only on part 2.

Also I'm dreading having to come up with a new name for the series when I get to Zeo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/shoadwood/status/902580540217458688

I can't stop thinking about how much I adore Ultraman Zero today - I'm gonna have to get back on CR and watch more Geed soon.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Ex-Aid 42: "I ABANDON MY HUMANITY, JOJO EX-AID!"

And here I was thinking the time stop might have been an accidental reference.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Sorry for the double post, but I'm just watching the Dr. Pac-Man Ex-Aid movie, and... is this song playing while Takeru powers up dramatically from Ghost? It sounds kind of great, did I miss a good soundtrack in skipping Ghost or is this movie specific?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Eponymous posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I'm just watching the Dr. Pac-Man Ex-Aid movie, and... is this song playing while Takeru powers up dramatically from Ghost? It sounds kind of great, did I miss a good soundtrack in skipping Ghost or is this movie specific?

I don't know about if the instrumental is from Ghost, but I do know Ghost is basically the only Rider series to not have insert songs other than the opening at all. And they use the opening a lot and I got kind of sick of it being used there. That said, the Necrom theme from when he's introduced is freaking rad and is currently my ringtone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Ghost actually had pretty good music, now that I'm thinking about it. Too bad about the rest of it :v:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/lespros_tetsuya/status/902888968378712064

This man :swoon:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He truly is God.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Accidentally left out the best one

https://twitter.com/lespros_tetsuya/status/902885631935647744

He started a q&a thread when the show ended and he has been replying to people the past five days, the absolute madman

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Just started episode 12 of Ex-Aid.

The Christmas power up is amazing. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

KIRIYA

WHAT

YOU CAN'T PULL THAT poo poo IN A CHRISTMAS EPISODE

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

KIRIYA

WHAT

YOU CAN'T PULL THAT poo poo IN A CHRISTMAS EPISODE

Welcome to Ex-Aid, remember to pray to our God Dan Kuroto every day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Congratulations to Waffleman_ for joining the "yesss share our pain" club.

• Locked thread