Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

So when the nazis crawl back into their swamps, you expect these antifa shitheads to just sift back into society?

Is it too much to ask for them to continue pursuit into the swamps on a campaign of eradication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Godholio posted:

So when the nazis crawl back into their swamps, you expect these antifa shitheads to just sift back into society?

Drain the swamp, motherfucker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Most likely yeah.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You could almost say that there are bad people on both sides.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Godholio posted:

Pretty much, yes. That's how it happened here in Norway in the 80s-90s, in England in the 80s, France and Germany etc. Once the nazis are back off the streets and in hiding or disbanded antifa usually dissolves as well. The people involved will often stay activist but in other organizations and with other methods.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Godholio posted:

After the war is over the winning side always liquidates their soldiers, so that they do not return home to menace their own. Once a man has a taste for blood he must be put down.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Chichevache posted:

After the war is over the winning side always liquidates their soldiers, so that they do not return home to menace their own. Once a man has a taste for blood he must be put down.

Does this include Red Wings? Asking for a friend.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Godholio posted:

Yes because they've been there all the time occasionally getting dressed up to fight Nazi's or the police at anti capatalist protest's. Otherwise they're working 9-5 like everyone else instead of plotting murders of minorities which is the key difference

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Godholio spitting bad opinions again

Color me shocked

Fake edit: uh yeah of course I expect that antifa will integrate back into normal society, because historically they have and also so did most of us? It's not an unrealistic expectation. I mean, come on, dude, fighting Nazis is a pretty pro action to take, I don't know why we're being all hand wringing about this

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

as if we need reminding that godholio was a conservative air force officer lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Anta posted:

Pretty much, yes. That's how it happened here in Norway in the 80s-90s, in England in the 80s, France and Germany etc. Once the nazis are back off the streets and in hiding or disbanded antifa usually dissolves as well. The people involved will often stay activist but in other organizations and with other methods.

Don't forget the punk rock and metal music scenes since the 80s. Every old-school punk rocker that I've ever met had at least one 'bash the fash' story from literal nazis and white supremacists crashing their shows and starting poo poo.

The balance beam between anti-fascists punching fascists and anti-fascists punching nonfascists is pretty one sided.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
So good of the nazis to take to the streets in protection of innocent people who would otherwise be victims of the raging antifas.

It's like the War of Polish Aggression all over again.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The dang antifas are going to go back to their communities and terrorize them by uh *checks notes* campaigning for universal healthcare?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's not like america had a problem with fascists, nazis, or white supremacists in the past or anything

like, not in the '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, or '90s or anything

america especially hasn't had a problem with them historically when there isn't a real "left" in american politics, no sir

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The one guy I know in Antifa literally has a master's degree in Economics from UofM. Like he's cracked skulls and been stabbed by Nazis and his pancreas is hosed because of a stab wound and now he just plays videogames, smokes pot, and works on his PhD dealing with the economics of developing countries. He also thinks tankies are stupid fuckers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jaguars! posted:

Lol the police are like twice the size of us.

Yea that was the funniest thing about it. Also our gang mostly just had fights with itself.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
call me crazy but maybe the best way to deal with the anti-fascists is getting rid of the actual-fascists first then dealing with the people that still stick around

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the thing: the fact that they're fighting Nazis is more an accident than anything else. They're the same violent poo poo heads you see anywhere else, looking for an outlet for their violent tendencies. In another time, they'd be bloods or crips or tankies or Ordnungspolizei.

"Both sides are the same!" :rolleyes:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It doesn't help that news sites are salivating for any kind of violence so they can blame anti-fascists. Stuff like this: "Black-clad anarchists swarm anti-hate rally in California". And then the article goes on to say it was an anti-marxist rally and there was only a few guys who attacked and it was over quickly, but don't mention that the guys they attacked are nazis and make them seem like good people.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/black-clad-anarchists-swarm-anti-hate-rally-california-49462180

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
have some nightmare fuel

https://twitter.com/search?q=Port%20Arthur&src=typd

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the thing: the fact that they're fighting Nazis is more an accident than anything else. They're the same violent poo poo heads you see anywhere else, looking for an outlet for their violent tendencies. In another time, they'd be bloods or crips or tankies or Ordnungspolizei.

And this is based on................what, exactly?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

There's gonna be an insane number of dead people from Harvey

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

milk milk lemonade posted:

There's gonna be an insane number of dead people from Harvey

https://houston.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=single+hurricane&sort=rel&availabilityMode=0

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ugh, all those ads for space/relief from the hurricane for young, single, attractive women. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

https://houston.craigslist.org/roo/d/if-you-are-decent-looking/6284407186.html

:thunk:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Professor Bling posted:

it's not like america had a problem with fascists, nazis, or white supremacists in the past or anything

like, not in the '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, or '90s or anything

america especially hasn't had a problem with them historically when there isn't a real "left" in american politics, no sir

Almost like they're most active and obstinate in response to any sort of social progress occurs

Sergg posted:

The one guy I know in Antifa literally has a master's degree in Economics from UofM. Like he's cracked skulls and been stabbed by Nazis and his pancreas is hosed because of a stab wound and now he just plays videogames, smokes pot, and works on his PhD dealing with the economics of developing countries. He also thinks tankies are stupid fuckers.

Your friend has smart opinions. I need his thesis argument to shove down Tankies throats

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Let's all enjoy a tiny ray of sunshine:

The DC grand jury has handed down indictments of "Conspiracy to commit a crime of violence" to 15 of Erdogan's bodyguards and 4 others. Yeah they may be back home but if they ever come back here they'll be arrested and tried facing 15 years.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Most of them would rather gently caress around with their friends and go to concerts and get drunk than brawl in the streets.

Source: I used to be one of those shitheads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shame on an IGA posted:

Let's all enjoy a tiny ray of sunshine:

The DC grand jury has handed down indictments of "Conspiracy to commit a crime of violence" to 15 of Erdogan's bodyguards and 4 others. Yeah they may be back home but if they ever come back here they'll be arrested and tried facing 15 years.

Pardons have been issued for worse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's nice to see the alt right antifa rhetoric taking hold in some people's brains. Give them what they want.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Godholio posted:

I mean from what I've seen most of the people involved in Antifa just don't like Nazis and racists. I don't think that once the Nazis are gone they'll start terrorizing groups random white folk so much as they'll go back to school or their jobs and continue their loving lives like they were doing before the Nazis showed up. If you want to worry about the few on the fringe that might try to keep fighting I can see that but there are shitheads in any movement or organization. I knew a few shitheads in the Army that weren't in the infantry for the right reasons but that didn't make all of us a bunch of murderous psychopaths.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Imagining that antifa will just murder other people if nazis go away is a bit like imagining that a woman who finally murders her abusive husband just lists for human blood.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cops worry about antifa because they deal with them at their most volatile.

So in turn, people of all stripes are worried about antifa because of the cops don't like them, they must be doing something wrong.

Add advocates for false equivalency and you got a large portion of America disliking them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Professor Bling posted:

Is Godholio spitting bad opinions again

Color me shocked

Fake edit: uh yeah of course I expect that antifa will integrate back into normal society, because historically they have and also so did most of us? It's not an unrealistic expectation. I mean, come on, dude, fighting Nazis is a pretty pro action to take, I don't know why we're being all hand wringing about this

I just think we're going to see a core of shitheads stick around causing problems. No question we can let them throw fireballs at nazis all they want.

Vasudus posted:

call me crazy but maybe the best way to deal with the anti-fascists is getting rid of the actual-fascists first then dealing with the people that still stick around

Bingo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

I just think we're going to see a core of shitheads stick around causing problems. No question we can let them throw fireballs at nazis all they want.

You talking about the Tea Party or

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Godholio posted:

Based off of what, exactly?

Also you guys have kinda made your reputation in the world by killin' Natzees. Why is there so much hand-wringing about it now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Just to follow up: The guy who was using the can as a fire weapon was being attacked by the jackass with the flag who tried to STAB him, and the fireball guy and one other guy were defending a much older gentleman in the middle between them.

Then a KKK Grand Wizard pointed a firearm at him and almost discharged into him. While the cops watched.

gently caress the Nazis and the KKK.

There is no 'both sides are bad' here, the Nazis and the KKK have almost united goals: Genocide, Oppression, and Ethnic Cleansing. gently caress them. The Nazis lost their right to enjoy flying their flag and chanting their political views when they tried to turn Europe into a loving mass grave. That includes Tankies: gently caress anyone that thinks Stalinism is something to praise. But attempting to associate Antifa with Stalinism is just a whataboutism by the Right.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 30, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Australian Lurker: Like, antifa don't even rank in the top 10 Serious Domestic Threats over there, based on what I've observed reading this thread. They're pretty far behind actual Nazis, your own state and municipal police forces (some of whom apparently intersect the former), weird oathkeepers, NRA loonies, Turkish Bodyguards, cracked enlisted shooting up army bases, Trump's true believers and even heavily armed school kids.

Any notion that antifa are bigger problems than any of the above is disingenuous at best...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Don Dongington posted:

Australian Lurker: Like, antifa don't even rank in the top 10 Serious Domestic Threats over there, based on what I've observed reading this thread. They're pretty far behind actual Nazis, your own state and municipal police forces (some of whom apparently intersect the former), weird oathkeepers, NRA loonies, Turkish Bodyguards, cracked enlisted shooting up army bases, Trump's true believers and even heavily armed school kids.

Any notion that antifa are bigger problems than any of the above is disingenuous at best...

Disingenuous both-sides-bad whataboutism? Man where have I heard that stuff just recently? Oh well can't remember, I guess there's just lots of violence on all sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Disingenuous both-sides-bad whataboutism? Man where have I heard that stuff just recently? Oh well can't remember, I guess there's just lots of violence on all sides.

"I'm sure some of them are good people, but they are not sending their best"

• Locked thread