Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Box of Bunnies posted:

A handful of the Sega 3d classics are 55% off in PALand so I picked up Streets of Rage and OutRun and am thinking about Fantasy Zone 2.

It's a shame they never did Streets of Rage 3 in this range because the pushed in diorama style 3d works really well for those games.

You should definitely pick up Fantasy Zone 2 since it's one of the most impressive entries in that M2 series. They basically redid the game as if it was an arcade release of the time and not just on Master System.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Are there any hidden gems among the Wii U shovelware?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

snoremac posted:

Are there any hidden gems among the Wii U shovelware?

Epic Dumpster Bear is a solid collectible platformer in the vein of NSMB

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's been posted about in a few threads already, but Nintendo have announced that Miiverse is shutting down in November. There are some key knock-on effects, though...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41082918

quote:

While games will still work after 8 November, some key features will disappear.
  • Super Mario Maker will still let players share their creations, but other players will not be able to comment on them
  • Mario Kart 8 will no longer let players share clips to YouTube
  • Splatoon will no longer show Miiverse drawings in the game menus or within battle stages
  • Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS will no longer display drawings in the Miiverse stage, and players will not able to create tournaments
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will lose its Community feature, which will prevent players from collecting enough stars to unlock all items in the game's workshop. Nintendo said it will continue to sell the game.

I wonder will there be a patch released for Tipping Stars, or will they just not give a crap?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No one bought tipping stars. Anyone who did almost certainly isn't playing it right now

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Losing the Miiverse drawings in the SSB stage is a drat shame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Losing the Miiverse drawings in the SSB stage is a drat shame.

Losing Miiverse art in Splatoon is a loving tragedy. In both cases they should patch in a batch of the all-time Yeah'ed art posts to cycle round.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's true, your old consoles really do stop working when the next one comes out

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

drat shame. miiverse was actually kinda awesome. put that poo poo on the switch

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

drat shame. miiverse was actually kinda awesome. put that poo poo on the switch

Nintendo has something up their sleeves, it should get announced soon when they are ready to talk about their paid online subscription service. I can't imagine it would be a step down from Miiverse, whatever it ends up being.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, but it probably still leaves Wii U players in the lurch, which sucks considering PS3 and 360 still have fully supported infrastructure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More than 10 people bought the PS3 and 360

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sakurazuka posted:

Miiverse is also on the 3DS and I'm pretty sure plenty of people bought those. How will I post wacky screenshots of me riding a Yian Kut-Ku in Monster Hunter Stories now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

More than 10 people bought the Wii U too; what's your point?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My point is shut up jivjov

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Beep boop more than ten people bought the Wii U actually bop beep bip

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

My point is shut up jivjov

Ah, so nothing to do with Miiverse at all then; got it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

You see, there are these things called "hyperbole", and "figurative language"...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't even bother it's not worth it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Lmfao

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Even if a more accurate post would have been "more people bought 360s/PS3s than Wii Us" it's an odd comparison to make. The number of console buyers, when purchases of all 3 are in the millions, is a strange metric to use as the criteria for continuing or discontinuing online services.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

look we all love memeverse as a concept but Wii U is dead and 3DS is on it's victory lap.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Somebody buy jivjov a Drax avatar

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

irlZaphod posted:

Somebody buy jivjov a Drax avatar

Somebody buy jivjov a Dril avatar

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

look we all love memeverse as a concept but Wii U is dead and 3DS is on it's victory lap.

My Wii U isn't dead at all. What happened to yours? Nintendo is still repairing them, I think.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's not what they mean...

Nintendo confirms 'end of life' for Wii U

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Also X360's are probably the only thing propping up Microsoft's game division, and Sony's PSN is quite possibly a unified single system rather than disparate stores across three platforms.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

My Wii U isn't dead at all. What happened to yours? Nintendo is still repairing them, I think.

I meant as a product. It has no remaining life in it, as a product. It has reached end-of-life status in a first-party manner.

Surely you understood this and are just being pedantic. Did you think that the 3DS had sprouted legs and was gracefully completing a circuit of a racecourse?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What, yours hasn't?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
DId Jivjov just get tricked into accidentally criticizing Nintendo for discontinuing Miiverse by leaping to the Wii U's defense when someone said it sold badly?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Did jivjov just get his pedantic poo poo refuted by a Reggie quote?

Although of course end-of-life does not actually mean dead, I think you'll find, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he was not tricked, he was being legitimately critical of Nintendo for cutting off a service many people still use

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I personally am sad Miiverse is going away, yes.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah it is sad.

What I am curious about is Mario Maker since it's the only thing not getting completely obliterated. They said you can share levels but no longer comment on them? Would the old comments still exist? I've had a moronic idea for a quiz level that I've never botheted making but it needs comments to work

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Yeah it is sad.

What I am curious about is Mario Maker since it's the only thing not getting completely obliterated. They said you can share levels but no longer comment on them? Would the old comments still exist? I've had a moronic idea for a quiz level that I've never botheted making but it needs comments to work

Seems like you won't since they're completely shutting down Miiverse and you won't be able to view old comments either. The site mentions that Mario Maker will get an update so it can function without it.

I understand why Nintendo is shutting it down but it feels a bit too soon. They really should have extended it's life until the 3DS was as dead as Wii U.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

I personally am sad Miiverse is going away, yes.

Nintendo is not required to keep a service running, you are not allowed to be sad about it :jivjov:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Breadallelogram posted:

Nintendo is not required to keep a service running, you are not allowed to be sad about it :jivjov:

Agreed to the first, strong disagree on the second.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Agreed to the first, strong disagree on the second.

That's pretty entitled of you

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's perfectly reasonable to be entitled to your own emotions.

Realtalk: the only part of miiverse's shutdown that I take issue with is Tipping Stars' workshop being uncompleteable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jivjov posted:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be entitled to your own emotions.

Realtalk: the only part of miiverse's shutdown that I take issue with is Tipping Stars' workshop being uncompleteable now.

spoken like a true non splat haver, condolences