Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lemonadesweetheart posted:

They only die if your main ship is destroyed. Fighters can explode just fine.

Lol "escape pods."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Lol "escape pods."

it's because we're all simulacra in a Thargoid simulation to best plan their invasion.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Lol "escape pods."

The rationale was that yes, the NPC does have an escape pod, too, but they just won't have anything to do with you once your ship got blown up around them.

And yes, it's still stupid. Somebody suggested just knocking down the NPC down a level or bumping their pay up a notch (hazard pay and all that). IT's weird as poo poo that everything else in the game is easily replaceable except for the fighter pilot NPCs.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What are they then? One-use limited-scope biomorphic companions? :laffo:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Your NPCs are piloting fighters via telepresence, they're physically in your main ship with you.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drone posted:

That system's pretty standard, really. Big, but nothing super special. Come back when there are several planets that orbit the barycenter of two stars in a trinary system, rather than orbiting one of the stars themselves. Now those are neat.

We don't go to HIP 63835 any more…

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mercurius posted:

Your NPCs are piloting fighters via telepresence, they're physically in your main ship with you.

If that's true, which is dumb, but if it's true then what am I when I pilot my fighters? Am I still physically on my ship?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

chaosapiant posted:

If that's true, which is dumb, but if it's true then what am I when I pilot my fighters? Am I still physically on my ship?

Yep. Just TPing to the fighter

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chrysophylax posted:

Yep. Just TPing to the fighter

Ugh that's dumb. Why am I flying my ship in the first place? Am I also even sitting in my buggy when I go joyriding? I'm going to ignore this dumbness.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you listen to all the radio chatter, it always refers to it as a tele-presence.

chaosapiant posted:

Ugh that's dumb. Why am I flying my ship in the first place? Am I also even sitting in my buggy when I go joyriding? I'm going to ignore this dumbness.
Nope!

VR is just REALLY good in the 34th century.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chaosapiant posted:

It’s 👏 a 👏 video 👏 game 👏 mechanic 👏

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How jaded do you have to be to not think telecommuting to your fighter pilot job is rad as hell?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I replaced the 3C Frag Cannon on my FDL for a 4A Multi Cannon and moddified it for Rapid Fire and I gained a secondary Damage buff, independent of Rate Of Fire and Damage Per Second. How the hell does that work??

If Damage goes up but Rate Of Fire stays the same, shouldn't the Damage Per Second also go up?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Check back in 3-5 years if atmo is a must-have.
Less must have, more like desire for more variety.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
We have remote controlled drone fighters now. This is not a weird idea

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

They only die if your main ship is destroyed. Fighters can explode just fine.

Ok good, been working on this guy from Harmless to almost master now, just wondering if I get him to dangerous and put him into a fighter with plasma rifle shots and he explodes will I lose his dumb rear end.

At what rank to the NPCs become great pilots? is it Master or Dangerous?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok good, been working on this guy from Harmless to almost master now, just wondering if I get him to dangerous and put him into a fighter with plasma rifle shots and he explodes will I lose his dumb rear end.

At what rank to the NPCs become great pilots? is it Master or Dangerous?

Master you can probably stop worrying about them, but a Dangerous NPC pilot is basically an unstoppable killing machine.

Once you get a Dangerous Pilot, you can run gimmick builds like a supertanked Conda which you AFK in a CZ while your NPC prints spacecash for you.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I seem to occupy this weird middle ground of experience in CQC. I can stomp new or casual players all day long, but when one of the good players comes on, I might be lucky to get one kill on them the entire gaming session. I suppose I'll get there eventually. At the moment I'm playing about 30 minutes to an hour a day.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Master you can probably stop worrying about them, but a Dangerous NPC pilot is basically an unstoppable killing machine.

Once you get a Dangerous Pilot, you can run gimmick builds like a supertanked Conda which you AFK in a CZ while your NPC prints spacecash for you.

Please explain more with build links and how to. For science!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

For the first 3 levels they can't do a lot. At competent they stay on target well. After that they're using AI hacks against the hacking AI and they're a great way to avoid all damage.
Have them engage first and between the target swapping between you both and your great combined damage you can melt most things before there's much reply.
If you like that kinda thing aim for a gunship.
The combined damage is frighteningly fun.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Side note : beware of elite npc anacondas as they release elite fighters. The damage can be extreme.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Khablam posted:

Side note : beware of elite npc anacondas as they release elite fighters. The damage can be extreme.

Seconding this...I have an anaconda fitted to the teeth and takes out anything pretty easily...but if you pick on another anaconda or something big, and suddenly you are fighting two red dots instead of one and there was no one in the wing, you have serious problems.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Mr. WTF posted:

Seconding this...I have an anaconda fitted to the teeth and takes out anything pretty easily...but if you pick on another anaconda or something big, and suddenly you are fighting two red dots instead of one and there was no one in the wing, you have serious problems.

You need to git gud then, elite condas are a joke. Ignore the fighter, and burn down the conda. The sooner it goes down, the quicker the fighter goes away.

Edit: The trick is to burst down their shield before the SCBs kick in. If you pack enough firepower, you can batter right through them.

This thing makes mincemeat of fat ships: https://eddp.co/u/Rem9nHlt

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 30, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Mr. WTF posted:

Engineering tips the balance to the player every time. If you're flying one of the big 3, go for ~6 engineered shield boosters (3 HD and 3 resist) and put therm resist on your shield generator flavor of choice. In no time you'll be face tanking NPC condas and vettes and barely losing 1 ring of your shield before the NPC is dead.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Krycek posted:

Engineering tips the balance to the player every time. If you're flying one of the big 3, go for ~6 engineered shield boosters (3 HD and 3 resist) and put therm resist on your shield generator flavor of choice. In no time you'll be face tanking NPC condas and vettes and barely losing 1 ring of your shield before the NPC is dead.

Not true. HD gives a better return than resist. I usually run 4 HD, 1 Resist, 1 Thermal, and 2 Heatsink launchers (High Cap) on a Hardened 5 Class 6 Prismatic Shield. The Class 6 Prismatic lets me fit a Class 7 SCB and 2 Class 6 SCBs, instead of just 3 Class 6 SCBs, which means even more durability long-term.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 31, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Not true. HD gives a better return than resist. I usually run 4 HD, 1 Resist, 1 Thermal, and 2 Heatsink launchers (High Cap) on a Hardened 5 Class 6 Prismatic Shield. The Class 6 Prismatic lets me fit a Class 7 SCB and 2 Class 6 SCBs, instead of just 3 Class 6 SCBs, which means even more durability long-term.

I run a size 7 biweave on my vette, so that may shift the calculus a bit. Higher resistance means that my extra regen is even more beneficial over time. But generally I have used this guys data to decide when to engineer a booster for HD or regen. His basic conclusion is that pure HD is better than pure resist, but a mix of 3 and 3 wins out.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamnit there's nothing worse than missions that unknowingly send you to stations 250,000LS away from the star.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Less Fat Luke posted:

Goddamnit there's nothing worse than missions that unknowingly send you to stations 250,000LS away from the star.

Sure there are! Missions that send you farther! :dance:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chaosapiant posted:

Sure there are! Missions that send you farther! :dance:
:downsgun:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The fact that the devs allow Hutton Orbital to exist (and it stocks rare resources now?) reveals a good deal about the design mentality of this game. Supercruising for the better part of an hour in a straight line is kind of like... the opposite of quick time events. I think I'd rather "HOLD F" to quick-jump to the station.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I just tried driving the SRV in VR. Never again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kramjacks posted:

Oh man nothing beats tumbling and crashing down a steep canyon slope in VR! :haw:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Kramjacks posted:

I see you had a good time with that rolling puke fest.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think there is a "lock camera to horizon" option. Some people find that helps with motion sickness. Other people prefer to lock the camera to the cockpit (I'm one of these people, horizon lock makes me queasy)

Try each of these modes to see if one works better for you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I figured everyone handled it like I did: just squeeze your eyes and rear end in a top hat shut and say to yourself "I'm at home in my chair, this isn't real!"

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Asimov posted:

The fact that the devs allow Hutton Orbital to exist (and it stocks rare resources now?) reveals a good deal about the design mentality of this game. Supercruising for the better part of an hour in a straight line is kind of like... the opposite of quick time events. I think I'd rather "HOLD F" to quick-jump to the station.

Alpha Centauri was a bit of a meme even back in the day. So I don't really care that they let Hutton exist.

That said, other stations in the rear end end of nowhere don't make a lick of sense, and no ammount of 'muh immersion' will change my opinion. poo poo, the brown sea dads even admit they'll go brew some tea or what have you during one.

2.4 is bringing with it a 'distance from star' thing for missions, and missions will scale with that distance.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

The Federal Gunship. After that- the Anaconda.

I love my FGS. The fighter bay is almost cheating to keep the enemy confused while I cut them in half with my MCs in the blink of an eye.

I've been thinking about getting something with range to get around places so I can call my FGS. I was gonna get an Asp E, but then I noticed the dolphin is a lot cheaper and only a slightly smaller jump range. Thinking of just getting the dolphin and going in luxury. This will be purely for going from A-B and I guess maybe honking along the way if I can be bothered. Worth it?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The Dolphin is very enjoyable to fly. Very nimble. I was thinking of getting one to use as a shuttle in the bubble myself.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The thing I don't really get is if you can FSD to one star in a system why the gently caress can't you do it to others in the same system? Is there some bullshit that explains this? If you could just pick the star you wanted to FSD too it would cut down on all the messing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The thing I don't really get is if you can FSD to one star in a system why the gently caress can't you do it to others in the same system? Is there some bullshit that explains this? If you could just pick the star you wanted to FSD too it would cut down on all the messing.
Bullshit explanation: you are FSDing to a gravitational center of the system.

• Locked thread