Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I almost got a boob light for our front entry because I was brainwashed in my childhood but then I found this floor model for $10 including CFL bulbs. My husband was like ??? but c'mon :10bux:
Maybe I'll paint it red to match our door (and baseball team lol)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey it's interesting, which is more than you can say for ANY of the light fittings in my current place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I'm going to re-do the kitchen lighting at some point, but I don't want to ruin it with lovely can lights or other awful modern poo poo, so it might cost a bit. Ideas on that very welcome.
I'm personally fond of the timeless frosted globe, assuming there's enough ceiling height for it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peanut posted:

I almost got a boob light for our front entry because I was brainwashed in my childhood but then I found this floor model for $10 including CFL bulbs. My husband was like ??? but c'mon :10bux:
Maybe I'll paint it red to match our door (and baseball team lol)

is your local home furnishing store a half-life 2 mod?

(that is awesome)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

Interior Design Thread: I almost got a boob light

Lmao I'm honored

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One weekend morning I was drinking a leisurely cup of coffee and cruising the forums and the glass dome of the boob light in my kitchen somehow came loose and smashed on the floor in a million pieces. Scared the heck out of me, and then the landlord replaced it with a dome that doesn't match the light in the living room.

Anyway, I used to work in a hardware store and people bought a lot boob lights because they are cheap and often come in two packs and often go on sale.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Don Dongington posted:

Carpets are coming out because there's solid jarrah boards underneath.
We're going to paint the siding in the living room because with dark wood floors and those beams it'll be just a bit too much wood.
I'm going to re-do the kitchen lighting at some point, but I don't want to ruin it with lovely can lights or other awful modern poo poo, so it might cost a bit. Ideas on that very welcome.

As for furnishings, we're going to get rid of a lot of our postmodern/ikea shite in favour of second hand finds on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist) and facebook marketplace. We'll try to get as much dark wood stuff as we can find (I've already tracked down a dining table and a display cabinet). In Australia there are only really 2 viable timber options: pine or jarrah, so there's tonnes of jarrah stuff floating about.

For lighting look at swag lights for the ultimate MCM look. There are some that are around that IKEA straight up ripped off. If you google danish swag it should get you an idea.

To brag I have a teak one for the living room that I need to clean up, condition, rewire and hang.

Update! I got the wall unit set up. I have a ton of clean up to do around it and rethink my hall way wall. I'm thinking about painting it a warm white. It's most of the length of the house and goes from the front door to my bathroom door. Also taking down all my posters and archiving them bc I was too cheap at them time when I framed them. Getting a wall mount to hang my bike out of the way too. Working with 750sq ft is fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

learnincurve posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your pleasure. The 90s time capsule McMansion.

http://thechive.com/2017/08/29/amazing-90s-crib-for-sale-is-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips-37-photos/

1. I got to admire their commitment to the colour scheme
2. That pool.
3. I would unironically live In that house and not change a thing so it can be preserved for our great great grandchildren's generation.

Same. Beigification would be a crime.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Don Dongington posted:

First time posting in this thread (but I just blew about 20 hours reading it, what a ride)

So given the recent theme of mid century modern, I just bought a house 1960s time capsule, and here is the living room:

This is gonn be fun.

The bones of this are pretty dope, I feel like flooring, paint and better furniture would go a long long way there. That archway is hilariously perfect to house a TV but they just stuck it to the side, lol.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Speaking of boob lights, my stepmother recently installed these in her dining room, fresh from the charity shop:

Really cannot get more booby than that.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

come in two packs

heh heh

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of boob lights, my stepmother recently installed these in her dining room, fresh from the charity shop:

Really cannot get more booby than that.

Don't be so sure

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drape Culture posted:

Don't be so sure

Those are some hosed up titties

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Those are some hosed up titties

just your basic bondage bologna boobies

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No need to limit yourself to that type of fixture if ceiling breasts are your thing, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've been looking for a light fixture for my bedroom for months. I bought one that turned out to be way too (comically) large and had it installed and then removed, so there's a bare bulb up there right now.

I don't want something with exposed bulbs, and I'd like to avoid the foot-tall wide disc that someone recommended, but man I'm getting impatient enough that I might surrender to the latter.

(I still have the oversized one, if anyone in Toronto wants an 18" wide, 24" tall square lantern looking thing. Free for the taking, I couldn't return it.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Post a pic of the room?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good thinking!

I'm not a fan of the pot lights, perhaps obviously, so I just ignore them. I haven't cared enough to get them removed.

When I moved in the fixture was a larger version of

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
String up thousands of christmas tree lights

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Get a ceiling fan light, then when you can't sleep you can watch the fan blades go round and round.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Get a ceiling fan light, then when you can't sleep you can watch the fan blades go round and round.

:confused:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which is the brand that goes in slow motion and goes wub wub wub wub wub while you think about Nam?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Which is the brand that goes in slow motion and goes wub wub wub wub wub while you think about Nam?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My in-laws have 7'8"ceilings and did the hanging frosted globe deal. My father-in-law is over 6', they didn't last long :v:

Supplemental lighting: any recommendations for slim mcm standing lights?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

👌🏻

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think I'll be doing a ceiling fan, but also I've never seen one with a non-ugly lamp component.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This owns

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think I'll be doing a ceiling fan, but also I've never seen one with a non-ugly lamp component.

Umm, three posts above yours, hellooooooo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad Munki posted:

Umm, three posts above yours, hellooooooo

I didn't think that had a light!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe all aircraft--even military ones--are required to have running lights.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the best light fitting in my bedroom. The best. (also one of those featureless disks in my bathroom that someone else installed which has the approximate wattage of the sun)

Behold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I might get one of those for my son.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

AllModern has a ton of lighting and usually for cheap: https://www.allmodern.com/lighting/cat/ceiling-lights-c477063.html

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did anyone else look at those prices and make a tiny internal scream?

Those are John Lewis prices, and that's UK higher end here. Did we find the one thing American's pay more for?
https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/furniture-lights/ceiling-lighting/_/N-7cq4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ouhei posted:

AllModern has a ton of lighting and usually for cheap: https://www.allmodern.com/lighting/cat/ceiling-lights-c477063.html

Yeah, they don't ship to Canada, but I could probably work something out. Thanks!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Did anyone else look at those prices and make a tiny internal scream?

Those are John Lewis prices, and that's UK higher end here. Did we find the one thing American's pay more for?
https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/furniture-lights/ceiling-lighting/_/N-7cq4
AllModern, from what I can tell at least is just a massive reseller (kinda like a more specific Amazon) and prices vary based on the brand. You can find similar looking lighting fixtures on there and one will be $100 and the other is $1000. Personally I've never understood why lighting costs a ton though, it's not like the wiring is difficult or the construction needs to be amazing (poo poo just hangs there). We opted for the standard lighting in our new house we're building and will replace stuff over time (already picked out a few pieces from AllModern I want) and I don't plan on spending a fortune.

Probable dining room chandelier: https://www.allmodern.com/dCOR-design-Mccully-24-Light-Sputnik-Chandelier-DCRN1324.html

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, they don't ship to Canada, but I could probably work something out. Thanks!
Ah, that stinks! Amazon also carries a wide selection, just harder to browse.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Subjunctive posted:

These guys do.

http://www.canadalightingexperts.com/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

I think my problem is figuring out what would look there, and not like I'm sleeping in a dining room. Hmm.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bedrooms here are always featureless discs, or these box thingies.
This one was the only light in our old living room. The pull chain always dangled at face height and the sitting at the coffee table made a big shadow. It's much better in a bedroom now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's about 40x40cm (18x18in)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

It's about 40x40cm (18x18in)

That picture gives me vertigo