Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

Mitch McGovern signed a 3 year extension :toot:

Booooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Essendon's journey back into September is set to be marked by a record profit of more than $4 million, in a result the Bombers hope will help make them debt free within 18 months.
noice

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Do they still have settlements with players to pay out?

Anyway, no decision on the AFLW expansion until next month. They were supposed to decide today and make the announcement tomorrow at the MCG.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-commisssion-delays-call-on-new-aflw-licences-20170829-gy6qhp.html

quote:

The AFL Commission and league bosses could not reach a resolution on the expansion of the AFL Women's competition at Tuesday's day-long board talks in Geelong and have put off a decision on the distribution of new licences until grand final week.

A robust two-hour debate broke up with chairman Richard Goyder and his commissioners instructing the AFL to do more work on the women's format after refusing to ratify a range of recommendations put forward by Gillon McLachlan and his football lieutenant Andrew Dillon. Eight AFL clubs, including five provisional licence-holders, face a nervous wait of a further five weeks before learning whether their clubs will be handed licences in time for the 2019 season.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

drunkill posted:

Do they still have settlements with players to pay out?

There were three as of earlier in the year. NLM is the only one I'm confident of, I think Kyle Reimers and Hal Hunter are the other two. I doubt they'd be big payouts, compared to guys like Heppell, Hurley, Watson etc

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't think Crameri has been paid out for since he can argue that Essendon getting him banned for drugs meant that he never got to play in the Grand Final. So arguing lost wages, match payments, bonuses, the lot

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Rumour is going around that Hird might be an assistant coach at Collingwood next year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

Rumour is going around that Hird might be an assistant coach at Collingwood next year.

Collingwood is certainly a place for an unrepentant drug cheat

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

No fucken way

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Nutsngum posted:

That stems from a Facebook page called PuntersPage, I'd take it with a factory full of salt

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hird was going ok on the field until the thymosin hit the fan, he may have actually been an ok coach if you ignore the glaring governance failures.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

This is not a thing.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

:rolleyes:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Should be quoting all you cunts for when the rumour mill comes to fruition baby.

*Edit.

Also lol, EAD Melbourne.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...b7aaf6b9e2b7da9

quote:

DEMONS’ ULTIMATE SLEDGING BACKFIRE

A few big mouths at Melbourne have been forced to eat some serious humble pie.

After missing the finals in disastrous fashion at the weekend, it has emerged that the Demons players were very confident they would be taking part in September.

In the third quarter of their clash with St Kilda earlier this month, some sledges were directed at the Saints along the lines of, ‘What are you blokes doing in September?’

Fast forward a couple of weeks and both the St Kilda and Melbourne players are doing the same thing in September. Nothing.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 29, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

I don't think Crameri has been paid out for since he can argue that Essendon getting him banned for drugs meant that he never got to play in the Grand Final. So arguing lost wages, match payments, bonuses, the lot

Crammers is sorted, and he's even had talks with Essendon about moving back

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favourite part of buying on ticketek is when it tells you allocation exhausted repeatedly for 7 minutes before finally giving you two tickets just before your 8minute session times out. Then when you log back in again in a new session, allocation exhausted. Just spent 40 minutes doing that until it finally sold me two separate tickets. Also they said guest passes were available but they were clearly disabled even though you could select them because no combination including them would yield seats. I say this every year but I loving hate ticketek.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
So the afl have emailed members an apology for ticketek not working this morning. Too late arseholes. It doesn't work every god drat year but we keep persisting with using this poo poo house company because ??

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

So the afl have emailed members an apology for ticketek not working this morning. Too late arseholes. It doesn't work every god drat year but we keep persisting with using this poo poo house company because ??

Because the two major companies that do ticketing are both loving useless, and this would be happening even if it was ticketmaster.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Leigh Montagna has retired.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Brad Scott extended to the end of 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Okay, the email might have gone out last week before Round 23, but some melbourne members are getting these in the mail this week:

https://twitter.com/triplemfooty/status/902781984442691584

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How embarrassing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Kreuzer robbed

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Another funny team.

We really ought to copy the NBA all star model, and have selections decided by 50% fan vote, 25% player vote, and 25% accredited media vote, that way we can stop pretending the AA selectors have any credibility and treat it like the agenda and bias driven exercise it's already been for years - except have a lot more fun in the process.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Just make all serious player awards decided by the coaches (or a panel of them). AFLCA votes = Brownlow. They decide the AA teams. They decide the Norm Smith.

Keep all the other idiots out of it.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Not surprised that Jetta missed out on the 22 as his stats don't really stand out apart from disposal efficiency but glad he made the 40 man squad

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crouch officially better than Sloane.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Rance ascaptain??

I love some of the facebook comments I've seen so far like "technically we have 5 AA players when you consider Ryder and Hibberd"

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

Rance ascaptain??

I love some of the facebook comments I've seen so far like "technically we have 5 AA players when you consider Ryder and Hibberd"

Neva let go

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Another funny team.

We really ought to copy the NBA all star model, and have selections decided by 50% fan vote, 25% player vote, and 25% accredited media vote, that way we can stop pretending the AA selectors have any credibility and treat it like the agenda and bias driven exercise it's already been for years - except have a lot more fun in the process.

yeah, and even that only has fan vote factoring in for the starters. The reserves are voted in by coaches from that conference since we're weird and still have that. As well, our direct comparison to All-Australian - the All-NBA team - is purely a media vote. Yet it can impact players' current or potential salaries (some players have All-League bonuses, and being voted All-League a certain number of times on your rookie contract can unlock a higher individual contract level on your second contract aka the Derrick Rose rule).

the Robbie Gray and Paddy Ryder nods on there are...strange.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Another funny team.

You're just pissed that Matt Crouch has been rightly recognised for his AA-quality season :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

You're just pissed that Matt Crouch has been rightly recognised for his AA-quality season :3:

Actually I'm more annoyed that Rance keeps getting in :colbert:

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

harperdc posted:

I didn't watch a great deal of non-Pies footy this year but I thought the general consensus was that Ryder had a great year. Gray was excellent every time I saw him play too, he absolutely fisted us.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

He's been the best defender in the competition for ages though?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

NTRabbit posted:

as much as the commentators slobber all over him its hard to argue with his stats.

harperdc posted:

ryder tore it up all year and gray was a reliable match winner for the majority of games for them, both are fair

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shmoses posted:

He's been the best defender in the competition for ages though?

He's great at playing loose man across the half back line, but make him play on a man and actually defend him and he gets routinely destroyed, while the media call him the best key defender of the era and slobber all over him like he's Silvagni and Scarlett combined

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

3rd man up is a pretty legit strategy though. Josh Gibson did exactly that for years and it never made me think less of him as a player because he was really really good at working as a member of that back 6. Was he an especially good one on one defender? gently caress no, Podsiadley was able to isolate him at the G once when a few Hawks defenders went down and loving destroyed him, but that generally isn't how footy is played these days and his skill at working within that system should be acknowledged.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Rance is excellent at the role he plays, no question about that. It is a little annoying that Talia has been overlooked the last few years in favour of Rance when Talia is an infinitely better stopper. I know I'm biased, but Talia is the best stopper in the comp bar none and has been for several seasons now. It would be nice if the AA side was actually picked for balance. Still, I get it. Rance is an excellent defender in the same vein as someone like Scarlett, that is, an above average stopper who also has a bunch of other extremely useful assets. Deserves his place in the AA side.

Now, what on earth he's doing as AA captain, on the other hand...

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Ryder is exceptional, he was the only real contender for the ruckman spot besides Jacobs in my opinion. Jacobs is a considerably better ruckman, but Ryder has more strings to his bow. That said, I still think Jacobs is underrated as a linkman, especially given the way the Crows play, looking for turnovers and then streaming through the middle. I haven't checked but I bet Jacobs' involvements in scoring chains is huge for a big man.

I genuinely think it's reasonable to say that Ryder is the largest reason that Port went from their lackluster 2016 form to knocking on the top 4 this year.

Gray is an interesting case. He's a lot like Betts in that he will play a handful of games each year where he completely obliterates a side, and also a handful of games each year where he's practically invisible. He probably benefits being in a non-Victorian side, where his invisible games go unnoticed while the highlights packages of his BOG performances end up on every footy show.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Rance is excellent at the role he plays, no question about that. It is a little annoying that Talia has been overlooked the last few years in favour of Rance when Talia is an infinitely better stopper. I know I'm biased, but Talia is the best stopper in the comp bar none and has been for several seasons now. It would be nice if the AA side was actually picked for balance. Still, I get it. Rance is an excellent defender in the same vein as someone like Scarlett, that is, an above average stopper who also has a bunch of other extremely useful assets. Deserves his place in the AA side.

Now, what on earth he's doing as AA captain, on the other hand...

Below. Below average stopper.

If they wanted an above average stopper with a bunch of other extremely useful assets, Jeremy McGovern is already in the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/brianwaldron4/status/903139635177570305

Edit:
https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/903147493931679744

Periphery fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 31, 2017

• Locked thread