Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JerryLee posted:

In news of lesser levity, I finally made my pledge cancellation official and sent them a polite but emphatic email letting them know why I had cancelled and that I would also try to purchase fewer Reaper products in the future. I mentioned that I appreciated their quick investigation as well as Ed Pugh's disavowal of support for Matt's opinions, but that those rang hollow in light of the lack of any meaningful consequence. I guess that's all I can do.

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In better news my Bones 3 stuff arrived at long last! Not had chance to check in depth but all the bags and boxes seem to be present.

Quantum packaging has struck as Ma'aldrakar won't go back in her box after I couldn't resist opening it to test fit the parts.

Also Goremaw is freaking huge, I don't know if this is the same issue as the skeletal dragon from Bones 1 but it seems to be far bigger than the scale picture suggests.

Still undecided on Bones 4. There's still only a couple of bits that I like the look of and the employee debacle is putting me off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bad Munki posted:

Would you say you got trolled?

This was the joke I was going for but it immediately got drowned out by pure comedy gold.

Zark the Damned posted:

In better news my Bones 3 stuff arrived at long last! Not had chance to check in depth but all the bags and boxes seem to be present.

Quantum packaging has struck as Ma'aldrakar won't go back in her box after I couldn't resist opening it to test fit the parts.

Also Goremaw is freaking huge, I don't know if this is the same issue as the skeletal dragon from Bones 1 but it seems to be far bigger than the scale picture suggests.

Still undecided on Bones 4. There's still only a couple of bits that I like the look of and the employee debacle is putting me off.

Send them an email saying as much. Say you normally would hop on a Bones kickstarter out of principle just because you want to participate in the community project for the hobby, but if they're going to betray the community at large by standing by a Nazi sympathizer then you don't want your money to go to them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If the employee debacle is putting you off, please allow it to continue putting you all the way off. You have plenty of future opportunities to purchase Bones miniatures at what will still be reasonable prices, but this is a time-limited opportunity to say to a (by TG standards) major company, hey, maybe don't prominently associate yourselves with people who think that unironic Islamophobia and all its comorbid alt-right edginess are funny

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm sticking to the Kickstarter, but I'm not backing as much as I would. I've let them know this. I fully agree anyone backing out of this should tell them why.

I honestly never expected much to come out of this publicly (or, likely, privately). They're very money-driven. The decision was always going to depend on how it affected the company long-term. Sadly, most backers are going to be okay with their lukewarm apology. And this way they avoid pissing off all the lovely centrists and right-wing customers who would be up in arms if they had fired him.

This doesn't mean we should be okay with the decision. I think they should have fired him anyway. The more people protest it, the more it makes them realize they could lose money in the future the next time something like this happens. It also helps fight against the normalization of racist speech. It doesn't feel like it, but the fact that he was forced to apologize and retract it is still something of a victory. Part of what's emboldened racists to the degree they have been is the perception that there are no consequences or public disapproval for their views. While it would have been better to see him fired, if he now has to keep those views private and away from his public profile.

It's possible Reaper wouldn't have done anything if people hadn't gotten up in arms about it. The more vocal we can be when poo poo like this pops up, the more we denormalize hate speech, the less emboldened the Nazis will be.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've sent them an email stating specifically why I will not be backing. I doubt anything will come of it, but I did my part.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
E:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 26, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JackMann posted:

It's possible Reaper wouldn't have done anything if people hadn't gotten up in arms about it. The more vocal we can be when poo poo like this pops up, the more we denormalize hate speech, the less emboldened the Nazis will be.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
A dinosaur expansion. Goddamn it.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Peas and Rice posted:

gently caress. I've been out-and-then-in-and-then-out on this kickstarter more times than a fickle cat so far.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Peas and Rice posted:

Does it help that the actual dinos are not that well sculpted?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It does help, also that I already have a whole Lizardmen army.

Although I have to say it's galling to pass up on a dual-pistol wielding pterodactyl.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does it help that the actual dinos are not that well sculpted?

No :smith:

quote:

Although I have to say it's galling to pass up on a dual-pistol wielding pterodactyl.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Acheson Creations does well sculpted dinosaurs in resin and metal, but they're predictably a bit more expensive.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They'll be at retail eventually. I'm not hurting for dinos.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I skipped out on the core for Bones 3, but I've picked some choice figures from my FLGS. It's the least I can do, they always host a free painting contest each year (mostly to clear out stock lol) and the owner has always been a great source of advice for modelling.

That being said, I'm curious if Reaper might run another charity mini run, like they did for the 2011 tsunami. iirc They did several minis, vaguely east-asian and put all the proceeds to Red Cross and had the option to donate more, and they threw in bonus stuff from the stock.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 29, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Weirdo posted:

Yeah, I skipped out on the core for Bones 3, but I've picked some choice figures from my FLGS. It's the least I can do, they always host a free painting contest each year (mostly to clear out stock lol) and the owner has always been a great source of advice for modelling.

That being said, I'm curious if Reaper might run another charity mini run, like they did for the 2011 tsunami. iirc They did several minis, vaguely east-asian and put all the proceeds to Red Cross and had the option to donate more, and they threw in bonus stuff from the stock.

They can do charity figures for the Huston flood, they can be vaguely Alt-Right themed, it's a win/win!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Finally, I can play as my personal hero, Based Stickman!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sexy mushroom lady, yes, that's what I always wanted, or something

if it wasn't for the milquetoast "hope it just goes away" approach to their resident white power dude, I'd probably be $350+ into this KS by now

I'm almost kind of glad I have a good reason not to spend money.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I have about $140 pledged right now but I also just spent a bunch of money out of the budget on hurricane prep supplies. I don't really want another big charge hitting my card right now. If I understand correctly, I can drop my pledge down to a dollar and then add stuff back later, get charged later, and still have access to all of the goodies, and get to keep my shipping wave?

Is that right?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, you can pledge for a dollar and then after the kickstarter is over there will be a period to finalize your order where you can add in additional money to buy stuff - this isn't ideal because it means that the money you are going to spend doesn't go to unlocking kickstarter rewards, but will still get you the things you want.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I hate that instead of being hyped for this KS, I am just annoyed. Stupid Alt-Right assholes wreck everything...

Amazingly each and every $50 add on is of no interest to me (or if I do like any figures its only a small hand full, so I'll wait for retail if I ever bother picking them up).

I like the core and some add-ons, but I am so conflicted about supporting Reaper right now... bleh...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That fertility idol is awfully :stare: for a pg-13 kickstarter.

I really hate how ineffective "buy nothing" and voting with my dollar is. I still haven't bought into D&D Next after all their horrific bullshit, and I feel like it did exactly nothing to make this hobby a better place. And all calling Mearls out on Twitter did was got me sealioned and a hack attempt.

I mean, gently caress. Why can't someone in a position to actually do something actually do something?

I just want to buy some toy monsters and now I can't even do that without feeling like an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fertility idols are an actual ancient thing though, so I'll give them a pass.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I am all for complaining about reaper, but their fertility idol is almost identical to the Woman of Willendorf, an actual artifact from around 22,000 BCE.

I mean, we don't actually know that object was a fertility idol, but it is an authentic ancient artifact and you'd be pretty hard pressed to find something more authentic to model a paleolithic statue on.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

There's actually a pretty cool hypothesis that it isn't so much a fertility idol as it was pregnant women trying to sculpt themselves, based on the proportions of the figure being similar to what a pregnant woman would see when looking down at herself. There's a journal article out there that should be free and has pictures to demonstrate. NWS if your boss doesn't like pregnant women titties, I guess.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

There's actually a pretty cool hypothesis that it isn't so much a fertility idol as it was pregnant women trying to sculpt themselves, based on the proportions of the figure being similar to what a pregnant woman would see when looking down at herself. There's a journal article out there that should be free and has pictures to demonstrate. NWS if your boss doesn't like pregnant women titties, I guess.

Neat!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, I am all for complaining about reaper, but their fertility idol is almost identical to the Woman of Willendorf, an actual artifact from around 22,000 BCE.

I mean, we don't actually know that object was a fertility idol, but it is an authentic ancient artifact and you'd be pretty hard pressed to find something more authentic to model a paleolithic statue on.

The dinosaur expansion is OK and may be worth $50 but that idol is rad as gently caress and I'd buy 2 or 3 of them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

The dinosaur expansion is OK and may be worth $50 but that idol is rad as gently caress and I'd buy 2 or 3 of them.

Starting a fertility idol army?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just canceled my pledge. I don't need to spend the money, I don't need more Bones, there's probably several hundred dollars worth of minis I like but... yeah, I'm painting at about three to five per year right now so I have a multi-lifetime supply already.

What email did you guys use for telling Reaper how they hosed up? just help@reapermini.com?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Goddammit reaper, that loving email raised my hopes for one glorious second but nope its just loving pillar tops.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think I used questions@reapermini.com

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The amount of people leaving pledges is probably miniscule unfortunately. Too bad the story wasn't distributed wider than obscure internet forums (SA and Reaper). Their bottom line will not suffer as a result of their non-action.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Didn't Reaper fire the guy? I thought he changed his employment status to have Reaper has a past employer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No, they didn't. He was trying to change his facebook profile and hosed it up, he has subsequently posted that he's still employed and is sorry that people caught him being a douche.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Those tiles look like an expensive wet fart.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ashcans posted:

He was trying to change his facebook profile and hosed it up,

he did it to trigger the libs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a good pledge calculator up? I want to give them money but i dont know how much and I dont want to math at all

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's a pledge manager, I think, but you don't have to give them any more money than whichever tier you want. It's listed at the bottom anyway. You can figure it out in the manager later, unless it changed from last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Just give them all your moneys to be sure.
(or just post your wishlist)

Mine:
Main set 100
Wraiths 10
Dragon turtle 15
Chicken hut 20
Roc 15
Fantasy scenics 30
Dreadmere 50
total 240

• Locked thread