Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

CPFortest posted:

Well this season was a mess, I can't say that I regret how they're doing the show's endgame though, since everything the show has ever done good or bad has always in some way made me appreciate the books more and more. Going into the end If I had to rank how they handled the show as a whole, I would rank it like,

God Tier
Lena Headey's performance throughout the entire show

Excellent Tier
Almost Everything King's Landing related in Seasons 1, 2, & 3
Ned's death
Battle of Blackwater
The Mountain and the Viper
Arya in S1-4
The Hound in S2-4
The Red Wedding scene on its own
Theon's S2 storyline
Casting of Tyrion, Arya, Theon, Tywin, & Joffrey
the visual execution of the Tower of Joy reveal

Good Tier
changes in Sam's overall attitude/personality in the show v. the books
Dany's story in S1 & S3
Jon's story in S3, S5, & S6
most of the overall main cast
S7 Euron
Hold the Door
the Walk of Shame
The Spoils of War
Jaime in S1-3
Sept explosion

Inconsistent Tier
The overall pacing of the series episode per episode
The rest of Jon and Dany's storylines
Tyrion and Shae
Tyrion post season 4
Sansa post season 4
Littlefinger's accent
Ramsay in S5
Theon's arc in S5 & S7
Robb's story in S2 & S3
the level of spectacle in the last three seasons
The overall Iron Islands storyline
The Night King as a villain
Jaime Post Season 3
Stannis

poo poo Tier
Having the tragic fall and end of Stannis in S5 occur over the span of just two episodes
Killing Mance Rayder
Arya in S5 & 6
Littlefinger post S4
Varys in S7
the decision that S7 only needed 7 episodes
Everything else besides Oberyn relating to Dorne
No One
Beyond the Wall
Unbent Unbowed, Broken

e: gently caress im writing too much about this dumb show, am I now the tv show version of the book thread posters

Here's a short version.

Good Tier
Seasons 1-4

poo poo tier
Seasons 5-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harton posted:

It's better to assume they are never coming out and then being pleasantly surprised if he actually releases winds. Dream is never coming out though. Honestly can he even finish it in 2? He's on record saying Tyrion isn't gonna meet Danny until halfway thru winds anyway. From what we've seen so far from the show is it possible for him to move the plot along quickly enough for only 1 and a half books before she even leaves Essos? Hope is a lie, shits never going to be finished.

It really does seem like there should be three to finish it off, if only because of the Tyrion/Dany thing. 1½ books doesn't seem like enough time to become a loyal, trusted advisor, all while an invasion (that Tyrion theoretically plans in that time) goes on.

Who knows, maybe he will get back to writing after he gets the Targaryan books out of his system.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

One must also wonder wtf does Rhaegar's marriage even mean by this point, it changes nothing, the reveal comes at the point where the plot it was supposed to entangle is already resolved and creates no tension whatsoever. Will Dany think Jon is suddenly going to usurp her?

If Rhaegar hadn't married Lyanna, Aegjon Snowgaryen would just be Jon Sand and have no legitimate claim. I'd be surprised if they didn't bring this up at all in S8.

Also, wouldn't the marriage only makes sense if the annulment makes his children by Elia Martell retroactively illegitimate? If it didn't, the first Aegon (the one he had with Elia) would still be his eldest legitimate son.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How did the Targs do the multiple marriage thing? If you have three wives and have kids with them, does the succession go by oldest children or was there a primary wife who's kids were higher up than the others?

Also, are there any cool new theories on the Summerhall Tragedy? I've always thought Egg going insane felt really off.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Elman posted:

Here's a short version.

Good Tier
Seasons 1-4

poo poo tier
Seasons 5-8

Probably, but 5-7 goes back and forth between poo poo and schlock, and honestly I kinda enjoy the show when they're just amplifying its innate schlock factor.

It's pretty obvious that the D & D, regardless of how one feels about the quality of their work, are loving burnt out as hell on the show after 1-4 & attempting to do Books 4 & 5 their way in S5 and couple that with the fact that they have no previous experience as TV showrunners, the stuff left in the books to draw on are all subplots, and that their budget is getting eaten alive by the Lannister siblings, Jon Snow, and Dany's actor salaries, they probably just decided after S6 to just get to the end as quickly as possible by mostly spectacle and condensing the show's details.

In a way, they have the exact opposite problem that GRRM has with finishing the books, the irony of which is loving amazing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CPFortest posted:

their budget is getting eaten alive by the Lannister siblings, Jon Snow, and Dany's actor salaries.

Ehh? Someone posted an article a little while ago which reported the salary of the three leads (Clarke, Headey, Harington) as 500k per episode. I wouldn't call that eaten alive considering their budget for each episode is something like 10 million.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Okay, hot take alert incoming.

Am I the only one who's kind of sick of the show version of Bronn?

Bronn has been with us since season 1, and in terms of characters with the most screentime and lines he's probably somewhere in the 14th-18th range.

And yet, somehow throughout all of that, he has mostly only ever displayed ONE personality trait: being sardonic.

No matter whatever else is happening around him, ShowBronn is always aloof, always sarcastic and mocking, always making wisecracks.

In mortal peril? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Receiving honors, rewards, and promotions that he could never have expected to receive in his entire lifetime? He's aloof and sarcastic, and makeing wisecracks. Being seduced by a beautiful woman and then finding out she's tricked you and has actually poisoned you? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Fighting a dragon in the face of certain death? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Reuiniting with a friend you haven't seen in years? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks.

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

The closest examples I can think of of Bronn showing any other emotion at all are A) the brief minute in season 2 during the Blackwater where he saves Sandor's life with an arrow. For those few seconds, he seems quiet and solemn, and B) during this most recent episode when he tells Tyrion that "I missed you as well," which seemed to indicate some sort of attachment/emotion for about two seconds before he was back to his sarcastic and aloof self and taking Podrick out for drinks.

The fact that D&D have given him magic plot armor because they don't want to deprive the audience of his quips and wisecracks certainly doesn't help things at all either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally watched the finale. It was boring and underwhelming

This season sucked. Next one is gonna suck too

Everything is bad

edit: Arya-Sansa scenes were specially bad, but Im glad LF is out
edit 2: Jamie and Cersei are the last actors in this show who can act, even with the weak lines they got. Among the main characters, at least

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 30, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bbf2 posted:

Bronn has been with us since season 1, and in terms of characters with the most screentime and lines he's probably somewhere in the 14th-18th range.

And yet, somehow throughout all of that, he has mostly only ever displayed ONE personality trait: being sardonic.

No matter whatever else is happening around him, ShowBronn is always aloof, always sarcastic and mocking, always making wisecracks.

In mortal peril? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Receiving honors, rewards, and promotions that he could never have expected to receive in his entire lifetime? He's aloof and sarcastic, and makeing wisecracks. Being seduced by a beautiful woman and then finding out she's tricked you and has actually poisoned you? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Fighting a dragon in the face of certain death? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Reuiniting with a friend you haven't seen in years? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks.

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

The closest examples I can think of of Bronn showing any other emotion at all are A) the brief minute in season 2 during the Blackwater where he saves Sandor's life with an arrow. For those few seconds, he seems quiet and solemn, and B) during this most recent episode when he tells Tyrion that "I missed you as well," which seemed to indicate some sort of attachment/emotion for about two seconds before he was back to his sarcastic and aloof self and taking Podrick out for drinks.

The fact that D&D have given him magic plot armor because they don't want to deprive the audience of his quips and wisecracks certainly doesn't help things at all either.

You're right, he's awesome.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

bbf2 posted:

try and give him, the 14th-18th most important character, a rich and nuanced subplot and understand why GRRM is never releasing another book ever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bronn is cool but they should've let him retire to castle stokeworth into a cozy spinoff adventure dramedy.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Eau de MacGowan posted:

try and give him, the 14th-18th most important character, a rich and nuanced subplot and understand why GRRM is never releasing another book ever.

I'm not saying they need to give him a nuanced subplot, I'm just saying if at any point they decided to show him being happy, sad, frightened, serious or literally any other emotion besides sarcastic detachment it might actually have some impact and sell the things going on around him to some degree and give him some sliver of character development.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

basic hitler posted:

Bronn is cool but they should've let him retire to castle stokeworth into a cozy spinoff adventure dramedy.

Yeah, GRRM took the right approach with Bronn by switching him to a background, non-appearing character and simply having other characters talk about and report on him. Somehow it works as a different kind of awesome.

bbf2 posted:

I'm not saying they need to give him a nuanced subplot, I'm just saying if at any point they decided to show him being happy, sad, frightened, serious or literally any other emotion besides sarcastic detachment it might actually have some impact and sell the things going on around him to some degree and give him some sliver of character development.

For the longest while I was convinced that he'd be unceremoniously killed off... because he's just a upstart sellsword who would have drank himself to death or died in the mud on some battlefield if he hadn't met Tyrion.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 30, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, I just realized that Bronn is better at being Littlefinger than Littlefinger was.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
They went overboard on Bronn's shtick a while ago and he's basically a cartoon character now. He's still kind of fun in the same trashy way that Euron can be fun, but a lot of his dialogue is just full-on cringe now. At some point he'll have scene with Pod where he just spits out a string of, "cock, oval office, oval office, cock, oval office, cock, magic cock, oval office." *grin*

*EDIT: I think this is what TV tropes calls "Flanderization."

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 30, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Every single character is getting rough draft/first pass effort and has been since season 5. We are just seeing D&Ds true quality absent any meaningful guidance.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Bronn character became a caricature and he has no motivation anymore. But he is still fun and saves a lot of scenes he is in, I guess they realize that and that's why they are keeping him

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember when everyone was confident in the show writer's abilities for new material after the Jory/ Jamie scene? haha

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lmao at the latest Preston Jacobs video. I didn't even notice most of the completely batshit insane writing mistakes and inconsistencies, so much of the dialog is just complete nonsense gibberish now, it doesn't mean anything :allears:

The best part was the Littlefinger part. I had forgotten that Sansa testified that Littlefinger was innocent and she watched Lysa commit suicide. Shouldn't the people of the Vale want her arrested now too?

Sansa tried to act like she did something smart. But like Preston points out, it took a omniscient boy, the lack of a real trial, and Littlefinger acting out of character in not having anything to say about crimes he publicly committed 6 years ago for them to get Littlefinger.

What was up with them bringing up the dagger? Were they trying to say it was LF that wanted Bran killed? He wouldn't have known Bran had fallen so that wouldn't make much sense. But if not, then they never solved the mystery despite bringing that story back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm glad they put Aidan Gillen out of his misery, that entire scene was definitely a bullet point on the napkin

Book Littlefinger has more interesting plans and motivations and I'm confident his death by Sansa will be much better

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

The best part was the Littlefinger part. I had forgotten that Sansa testified that Littlefinger was innocent and she watched Lysa commit suicide. Shouldn't the people of the Vale want her arrested now too?

Sansa tried to act like she did something smart. But like Preston points out, it took a omniscient boy, the lack of a real trial, and Littlefinger acting out of character in not having anything to say about crimes he publicly committed 6 years ago for them to get Littlefinger.

What was up with them bringing up the dagger? Were they trying to say it was LF that wanted Bran killed? He wouldn't have known Bran had fallen so that wouldn't make much sense. But if not, then they never solved the mystery despite bringing that story back.

Yeah, I don't think they ever revealed who ordered Bran's murder in the show. What they accused Littlefiger of in this episode is lying about giving it to Tyrion, which started the whole war of the five kings. They could've asked who Littlefinger really gave it to and find out who ordered Bran's murder, but Bran probably already knows, since he is omniscient and all that. In fact, he even knows more than the script writers, cause they have no idea who tried to murder him. :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In case it wasn't obvious:

SimonChris posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/29/game-of-thrones-isaac-hempstead-wright-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

So, it turns out that there is a deleted scene confirming that Arya and Sansa were completely in the dark until Bran explained the plot to them.

quote:

According to the actor, Bran stayed out of the conflict between the two Stark girls until Sansa approached him about the situation. "It was a battle between Sansa and Arya really, and it wasn't any of Bran's business until Sansa thought 'why don't I fact check this with the best fact checker in the universe' and Bran was like 'Littlefinger did this and this and this,'" he explained.

B..but Arya and Sansa are totally playing Littlefinger :qq:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So what was Littlefinger's plan? Did they ever like... say that? I read that leaked script and I'm pretty sure 'can't resist an opportunity to keep a stark down' is far more motivation than he has actually gotten in the last few years. Did the show just assume that everyone knows he is a bad guy and thus

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Generally sowing chaos.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYOkYquttQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZioX4y3f8E

A friend just sent me this and I'm laughing my rear end off watching The Tumblr Bar reacts to GoT

:laffo:

that girl with her mouth agape the entire loving scene, getting the vapors and fanning herself :cmon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bronn is one of those weird characters where I think his plot ended in the books and now the show is catching up to that. He'll end the show with his castle and a son named Tyrion.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bronn is one of those weird characters where I think his plot ended in the books and now the show is catching up to that. He'll end the show with his castle and a son named Tyrion.

Bronn is essential now that Dolorous Edd is probably under 500feet of ice-rubble

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Bronn is essential now that Dolorous Edd is probably under 500feet of ice-rubble

Edd was at Castle Black, not Eastwatch

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, I don't think they ever revealed who ordered Bran's murder in the show. What they accused Littlefiger of in this episode is lying about giving it to Tyrion, which started the whole war of the five kings. They could've asked who Littlefinger really gave it to and find out who ordered Bran's murder, but Bran probably already knows, since he is omniscient and all that. In fact, he even knows more than the script writers, cause they have no idea who tried to murder him. :shrug:

But that didn't start the war of the five kings. Ned snooping around about Jon Arryn and finding out that Joffrey wasn't Robert's kid started that. So I don't know why they brought up the dagger.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Nice. But the point stand that Bronn and he are essentially written as the same character in different locations

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edd's gonna die next season when the army of the dead make a sweeping attack from the rear on Castle Black.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

But that didn't start the war of the five kings. Ned snooping around about Jon Arryn and finding out that Joffrey wasn't Robert's kid started that. So I don't know why they brought up the dagger.

Cate found out about the dagger, took Tyrion hostage, then Jamie confronted Ned over Cate's actions. That led to Ned being wounded by Jamie's men and thrown in jail.

That's what got things wound up. It was also evidence used against Ned.

These are events that only Bran could have pieced together since nobody else present knows what happened at the Red Keep other than Littlefinger.

I have a lot of issues with this season but it makes sense that Sansa can testify that she was twice ordered to make false statements by people holding her hostage. First was the Lannisters and second was Littlefinger, even if she was going along with Littlefinger the second time and she was actually in danger at the time. The story gets the Vale people on the same side as the Northerners.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 30, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How are monsters made of ice going to take over anything in the south like Dorne. Just pick up the wall and move it to where the north connects to the south.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

How are monsters made of ice going to take over anything in the south like Dorne. Just pick up the wall and move it to where the north connects to the south.

Winter travels along with them.

And they are not made of ice.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

tadashi posted:

Cate found out about the dagger, took Tyrion hostage, then Jamie confronted Ned over Cate's actions. That led to Ned being wounded by Jamie's men and thrown in jail.

You're misremembering. That led to Ned being hurt but he was still Hand of the King after that. It was Jaime that fled the city afterwards. Up to the point where Robert died and Ned was summoned to swear fealty to Joffrey, Ned was still a free man and able to go back to Winterfell at any time. But he had to go and make a big deal out of Joffrey not being the true heir.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ned Stark was pretty much the definition of "lawful stupid".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

You're misremembering. That led to Ned being hurt but he was still Hand of the King after that. It was Jaime that fled the city afterwards. Up to the point where Robert died and Ned was summoned to swear fealty to Joffrey, Ned was still a free man and able to go back to Winterfell at any time. But he had to go and make a big deal out of Joffrey not being the true heir.

You think the Lannisters were going to let Ned go quietly back to Winterfell after they knew what he knew (since he had been investigating all the bastards) and given that Brann knew about Jamie and Cersei?

I mean, he should have left and called his banners to at least protect the North but everything was in motion. He forced their hand but the plot against Robert was all but done and there was no way the Lannisters would led Ned ride off into the sunset.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 30, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's nothing surprising about that though. His brother and dad were lawful stupid too, riding by themselves to the Mad King's door. Hell Robb was pretty stupid too. It's in the blood.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Show Littlefinger's plot this season to pit the sisters against each other over bedroom assignments and letters written under duress was pretty stupid even without them having an omniscient brother, but what still takes the cake for me in bastardizing his character is the trial over Lysa's death.

One of the coolest intrigue scenes in the book is replaced with Littlefinger being caught off guard by the judges wanting to check his story with the only eyewitness and then relief when Sansa takes it upon herself to lie on his behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

There's nothing surprising about that though. His brother and dad were lawful stupid too, riding by themselves to the Mad King's door. Hell Robb was pretty stupid too. It's in the blood.

Explains Sansa and Arya this season. They can't help being dumb. They're Ned and Cat's kids

• Locked thread