Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
Al Letson talked about Antifa and his thing from Berkeley on Reveal this week. Y'all should probably give it a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The 'Antifa' is a closer to home boogeyman for people who think Mexicans are rapists and the terrorists hate our freedoms.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MA-Horus posted:

Based off of what, exactly?

I don't know why the gently caress everything thinks I'm equating the two. I'm more curious about "what happens next" because I have a hard time just believing everything is going to settle down when the white supremacists figure out that today isn't their day.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

after afghanistan I just kept killin' people

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I don't know why the gently caress everything thinks I'm equating the two. I'm more curious about "what happens next" because I have a hard time just believing everything is going to settle down when the white supremacists figure out that today isn't their day.

That's called a Whataboutism, and antifa will diminish when Nazis/KKK feels less comfortable marching in the streets.

The PROBLEM is the KKK and Nazis. That's it. Don't try to make the antifa out to be anything more than it is, because that's largely what they are trying to do in equating both sides.

This is the sort of poo poo the KKK and Nazis being more vocal is encouraging:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/08/29/georgia-republican-warns-democrat-she-could-go-missing-over-criticism-of-civil-war-monuments/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 30, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

every grunt when they get back home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6DifUtPvs

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Godholio posted:

Antifa haven't just magically popped up this year but what do i know I was murdered by antifa in the UK after the EDL fell apart leaving them without purpose and am now actually a ghost

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Antifa haven't just magically popped up this year but what do i know I was murdered by antifa in the UK after the EDL fell apart leaving them without purpose and am now actually a ghost

Tell us spirit, are these the shadows of the things that will be, or are they shadows of things that may be, only? :ghost:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Go back to breaking windows at Starbucks during anti-globalism demonstrations?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Most will peel off and join groups like the DSA or Food Not Bombs or go back to regular activism, there might be a core that tries Black Bloc tactics at big globalization events but the cops are pretty good at beating the dogshit out of those guys so they never amount to much.

Think of Antifa as the white blood cell reaction of the body politic to the rise of the hard right. When the disease is beaten back, they tend to fade back into the body.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

joat mon posted:

You know who else broke storefront windows.....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

....Hitler?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I will go with never happened or actually a plot by bill Clinton because no one in America can seem to remember beyond five years or not have their memories altered by talking heads. gently caress there are people I know that think antifa is actually a no poo poo organized gang that started in America really recently. Instead of loosely aligned groups and individuals who have been coming out to punch nazis since the international brigades.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KildarX posted:

I will go with never happened or actually a plot by bill Clinton because no one in America can seem to remember beyond five years or not have their memories altered by talking heads. gently caress there are people I know that think antifa is actually a no poo poo organized gang that started in America really recently. Instead of loosely aligned groups and individuals who have been coming out to punch nazis since the international brigades.

Those Bundy's were just defending the American homefront like patriots! :911:

Which is pretty much the spin they put on 8 years of Militia and Right Wing Nutcase Nonsense.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVldfXHFlCU&t=150s

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Take that capitalism!

*Insurance pays for the window and some poor working stiff has to clean it up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's pretty crazy that prosecutors can't get a conviction of Bundy supporters pictured pointing rifles at federal agents, yet black bloc protesters in DC are facing like 70 years in prison following mass arrests on Inauguration Day. Doubt they'll actually get sentences that high, but come on. There's no moral equivalence between anarchists engaged in property destruction or low level fistfights with white supremacists and the ascendant alt-right and/or far right Neo-Nazis.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Godholio posted:

You have been given examples of it from many countries. Have a hard time believing, but take facts and history into account and your feelings on the matter look more sensational than rational.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Quote of the day, by AFL-CIO head Richard Trumka.

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/902899413059817472

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

Take that capitalism!

*Insurance pays for the window and some poor working stiff has to clean it up.

That makes like 5 jobs. MAGA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

That makes like 5 jobs. MAGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFAcFtBD48

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

suboptimal posted:

It's pretty crazy that prosecutors can't get a conviction of Bundy supporters pictured pointing rifles at federal agents, yet black bloc protesters in DC are facing like 70 years in prison following mass arrests on Inauguration Day. Doubt they'll actually get sentences that high, but come on. There's no moral equivalence between anarchists engaged in property destruction or low level fistfights with white supremacists and the ascendant alt-right and/or far right Neo-Nazis.

Yea I dunno how you can draw moral equivalency when no poo poo KKK and literal Nazi's are backing one side. Those guy's primary stance is "America for whites only" at it's least and at it's most hosed is "Maybe we can ask Pizza Hut who makes their ovens and Home Depot if we can get a discount on bulk orders of Rope." Unless of course you're afraid of other people enough that you actually believe everyone to the left of that goal post literally want to treat white people in that same direction.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/opinion/erik-prince-contractors-afghanistan.html

Erik Prince: Contractors, Not Troops, Will Save Afghanistan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress him for comparing the Flying Tigers to his Mercenaries.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The New York Times opinion page is becoming the WSJ opinion page, and the WSJ opinion page is becoming Breitbart.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe. If they can just convince everyone in the Taliban to go into the showers with the flickering light.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Understatement of the last century is also the best passage is in the first paragraph:
"Japanese Aggression in China"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oswald?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Best Friends posted:

The New York Times opinion page is becoming the WSJ opinion page, and the WSJ opinion page is becoming Breitbart.

yeah pretty much

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

IS IT NAZIS

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This guy wants to be Naked Snake but he's actually Stupid Snake.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

suboptimal posted:

Looks like the most heavily charged got 4 months in prison plus probation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CSPAM is starting to turn into LF, geez.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes, this has been a Kristalnacht joke. thanks everyone for reading, god bless

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Early LF or late LF? I'm down for some effort threads, less interested in the screeching blame game/ persecution Olympics.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh do share.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh do share.
The Vanilla ISIS thread is starting to turn into more whining about "liberals" who aren't completely down with putting people up against the wall, tha. It is about far right assholes. Not even Nazis marching around will stop the circular firing squad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Not sure how whining and victim-roling hasn't gotten old yet...wait, no, it's because of his position.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902885560552960000

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dammit Duzzy I was just coming here with that.
I feel it's worth noting he posted this at the same time:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902881712010653697

Trump, a tip - it looks a little insincere when you start screaming about how unfairly you've been treated in the same breath as expressing your condolences to people who have lost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Casimir Radon posted:

The Vanilla ISIS thread is starting to turn into more whining about "liberals" who aren't completely down with putting people up against the wall, tha. It is about far right assholes. Not even Nazis marching around will stop the circular firing squad.

jesus you really weren't kidding

always found it funny that that lot whines more about their erstwhile allies - liberals - far more than they whine about (or vote against) the people actively opposed to everything they hold dear.

• Locked thread