Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Telecom saga continues...

CenturyLink installing lines tomorrow! Had to go all the way to the local engineers office before we got any result. He claims to have never received any requests for service installation internally. Once we called him, he went looking for the order himself and was able to find it. No one had bothered to send it down. He mentioned it is not the first time it has happened.

Spectrum on the other hand still doesn't know what the gently caress they are even doing. Their construction department thinks they need to bore under the road (requiring them to obtain a fuckload more permits and installation sometime in November), but the engineering department says otherwise. It has been 2 weeks and they still haven't figured this out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

poo poo that's pissing me off this week: people escalating tickets well within SLA. Twice this week, I've had tickets less than an hour old escalated. Especially fun is that both times were through sales.

You made the ticket twenty minutes ago. I got it five minutes ago. I have three and a half hours on the service agreement. loving wait, or buy the higher-level service.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm getting more practice this morning in not giving a poo poo. At first I forgot to not give a poo poo, but that's passed. I'm gathering myself for a strong non-effort.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm getting more practice this morning in not giving a poo poo. At first I forgot to not give a poo poo, but that's passed. I'm gathering myself for a strong non-effort.

:hfive:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

Excellent. I hope your latte is especially tasty this morning.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dick Trauma posted:

Sounds like you've got a good day ahead!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I got drug into a meeting to set out IT needs for some software that was selected to support one of our programs, and this is what I've found in my short review before the meeting:

Said software
- uses http on 83 for the client/server communication
- has no mention of whether you can add an ssl cert to the IIS binding
- uses windows authentication for users but then doesn't let you select ad groups in the groups section, so we can't automatically provision access
- the user maintenance window is a single drop-down to select a user, that's going to be helpful when there are 300+ technicians loaded
- multiple mentions throughout the limited documentation that you CAN use a full-blown SQL server instead of SQL server compact installed locally on the web services box, but it's not supported at all
- email reporting functionality has to be done through a single client running somewhere, as opposed to through the web services like any sane application

This is version 4.0 of the software.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

devmd01 posted:

I got drug into a meeting to set out IT needs for some software that was selected to support one of our programs, and this is what I've found in my short review before the meeting:

Said software
- uses http on 83 for the client/server communication
- has no mention of whether you can add an ssl cert to the IIS binding
- uses windows authentication for users but then doesn't let you select ad groups in the groups section, so we can't automatically provision access
- the user maintenance window is a single drop-down to select a user, that's going to be helpful when there are 300+ technicians loaded
- multiple mentions throughout the limited documentation that you CAN use a full-blown SQL server instead of SQL server compact installed locally on the web services box, but it's not supported at all
- email reporting functionality has to be done through a single client running somewhere, as opposed to through the web services like any sane application

This is version 4.0 of the software.

Sounds like you blacked out there for a bit this morning. Should really try and avoid sleep at work, otherwise nightmares like this can feel all too real.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

CenturyLink installing lines tomorrow! Had to go all the way to the local engineers office before we got any result. He claims to have never received any requests for service installation internally. Once we called him, he went looking for the order himself and was able to find it. No one had bothered to send it down. He mentioned it is not the first time it has happened.

Spectrum on the other hand still doesn't know what the gently caress they are even doing. Their construction department thinks they need to bore under the road (requiring them to obtain a fuckload more permits and installation sometime in November), but the engineering department says otherwise. It has been 2 weeks and they still haven't figured this out yet.

Surely you know better by now.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

stevewm posted:

Hope springs eternal.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

evobatman posted:

Are you installing on the factory image for some reason?

Yeah, I kinda have to. We don't have a volume license. We get laptops preloaded with Win7 and OEM keys. It's honestly easier to write up a script to yank out any junk than get the key, load the image, re-add the key.

This place has some weird IT procedures but I'm doing all I can to drag them forward bit by bit. Maybe in 2020, we can get volume license keys for Windows and Office. :sigh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

The best part is that the bad managers that tend to steer their employees toward not giving a poo poo will very rarely notice the difference when you go from caring to not. Maintain a semblance of productivity, respond to things in a vaguely affirmative manner and continue about your day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just kicked off an HD to SSD migration for a user that's out of the office and I'm going to get coffee.

I'm reminding myself that the outcome of interactions here don't matter, only how I feel about the outcome. My instinct for doing good work does not serve me well in this environment and so it must be suppressed until I find myself in a place where it is valued.

I should save feeling bad for things that affect me personally, and work is not personal, even if it seems that way sometimes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can anybody else log into Intel's support site, or is a SAML redirect to a web address ending with '.comnull' all you get?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was just able to log in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

Some times you have to give a poo poo to the porcelain god, but otherwise, give no shits Also, give no fucks, there are limited amounts of fucks and they should only be given in the correct circumstances.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

I was just able to log in.

Interesting. Can you get to https://sfederation.intel.com/federation/Init_Salesforce_ISVC.asp?RelayState=/supportrequest?lang=en-US

stevewm
May 10, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Surely you know better by now.

Yeah I know.... Trying to be hopeful. Almost positive I will be disappointed again though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm but a young whippersnapper, not six months in private industry.

I'm also still a temp, so I'm paranoid about anything that could look bad when a headcount opens up.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

MF_James posted:

Some times you have to give a poo poo to the porcelain god, but otherwise, give no shits Also, give no fucks, there are limited amounts of fucks and they should only be given in the correct circumstances.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169ATMBM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This is obviously a silly spoof but it also actually has some decent advice in it. I recommend the audio book.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Nards Pan posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169ATMBM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This is obviously a silly spoof but it also actually has some decent advice in it. I recommend the audio book.

I feel like the book would be best served if the VA just yelled everything at you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

pissing me off: cloud phone provider: Thursday I ordered an additional phone + profile was told it'd be here Monday. (I posted about Thursday's new user, I borrowed a phone I wouldn't need until this Thursday at the request of the CEO because he wouldn't need his phone because he is on vacation).

I called Friday when I didn't have a shipping notification and it should have shipped Thursday: "looking into it" few hours later set to shipped with tracking number: 0 odd but okay maybe they don't have it.

Monday: I call about this I'm told someone is assigned the case and was in the office and would transfer me as only that person can help me: I get a voice mail leave a message
Call back a few hours later: same spiel

Tuesday (yesterday): Hung up on by the new "open case" option because it forwarded me to engineering and they were busy with an outage, sales line is instructed to tell me to try the new open case option and this line was only for new cases hung up on again. This is after over an hour wait each time. Third time I'm transferred to not mailbox exists for this extension. That's all the time I had for that poo poo.

Wednesday (Today): It's 2:30 finally get in touch with someone that will help me. That person was fired, all their cases should have been reassigned but this was marked as closed so didn't. Phone is on our account and being billed for it as of Tuesday when it should have been here. Rep is very nice and helpful with getting it "expedited" it's after 10AM though so it wont ship until tomorrow. After explaining they transfer me to a manager that could authorize this.

Manager: Refuses to expedite shipping, offers me overnight shipping for $70 and to get it out the door today is $40 handling. I go over what happened, and he tells me it's out of his hands. Okay fine transfer me to someone who can approve this. He says this is the end of the line and I get a dial tone.

Expended delivery is next Wednesday because of the holiday. Nothing is being removed from the bill, and another phone just showed up as being leased as I typed this post. Phone count cannot be reduced unless nothing has been added in the last year (which is a massively bullshit policy). Getting this removed from the bill is going to not happen but I'm going to have to call them constantly about it for the lawyer. Oh did I mention we have an active law suite with the company over poo poo like this?

CEO and CFO both refuse to cut losses and switch VoIP providers because they'd then be paying for TWO! Just sue them for it all back, right now you are helping their case when the judge is going to ask why we didn't just do what I'm suggesting. I've never met the lawyer but I haven't gotten a straight answer when I was asked what the lawyer had to say about getting another concurrent provider and just transferring everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That reroutes me eventually to supporttickets.intel.com and allows me to create a new support request.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My account is hosed then, I'll take it up with Intel

There are no good providers in the telecoms industry. Except maybe Twilio.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

pixaal posted:

pissing me off: cloud phone provider: Thursday I ordered an additional phone + profile was told it'd be here Monday. (I posted about Thursday's new user, I borrowed a phone I wouldn't need until this Thursday at the request of the CEO because he wouldn't need his phone because he is on vacation).

I called Friday when I didn't have a shipping notification and it should have shipped Thursday: "looking into it" few hours later set to shipped with tracking number: 0 odd but okay maybe they don't have it.

Monday: I call about this I'm told someone is assigned the case and was in the office and would transfer me as only that person can help me: I get a voice mail leave a message
Call back a few hours later: same spiel

Tuesday (yesterday): Hung up on by the new "open case" option because it forwarded me to engineering and they were busy with an outage, sales line is instructed to tell me to try the new open case option and this line was only for new cases hung up on again. This is after over an hour wait each time. Third time I'm transferred to not mailbox exists for this extension. That's all the time I had for that poo poo.

Wednesday (Today): It's 2:30 finally get in touch with someone that will help me. That person was fired, all their cases should have been reassigned but this was marked as closed so didn't. Phone is on our account and being billed for it as of Tuesday when it should have been here. Rep is very nice and helpful with getting it "expedited" it's after 10AM though so it wont ship until tomorrow. After explaining they transfer me to a manager that could authorize this.

Manager: Refuses to expedite shipping, offers me overnight shipping for $70 and to get it out the door today is $40 handling. I go over what happened, and he tells me it's out of his hands. Okay fine transfer me to someone who can approve this. He says this is the end of the line and I get a dial tone.

Expended delivery is next Wednesday because of the holiday. Nothing is being removed from the bill, and another phone just showed up as being leased as I typed this post. Phone count cannot be reduced unless nothing has been added in the last year (which is a massively bullshit policy). Getting this removed from the bill is going to not happen but I'm going to have to call them constantly about it for the lawyer. Oh did I mention we have an active law suite with the company over poo poo like this?

CEO and CFO both refuse to cut losses and switch VoIP providers because they'd then be paying for TWO! Just sue them for it all back, right now you are helping their case when the judge is going to ask why we didn't just do what I'm suggesting. I've never met the lawyer but I haven't gotten a straight answer when I was asked what the lawyer had to say about getting another concurrent provider and just transferring everything.

What the gently caress, this is some 6th circle of hell kind of poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yes, knowing you have to install something today, doing nothing about it, and then emailing me at 18:30 because you don't know where to plug it in will definitely get me doing extra work for free :jerkbag:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Getting the re-hire task and the departure task for the same employee at the same time.

Which would normally mean I just close the departure ticket and ignore it safely, but unfortunately I got the departure ticket yesterday and the newhire today...

So allllllll the work I spent removing spanning, gsuite, AD, et cetera now needs to be undone :argh:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Getting the re-hire task and the departure task for the same employee at the same time.

Which would normally mean I just close the departure ticket and ignore it safely, but unfortunately I got the departure ticket yesterday and the newhire today...

So allllllll the work I spent removing spanning, gsuite, AD, et cetera now needs to be undone :argh:

:murder:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Sounds like a new hire to me. That was a 72 hour SLA, wasn't it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Not giving a poo poo worked! Had to sit there while the consultant ignored my many years of experience and it bothered me not a whit. And to top it off he ignored what I was saying so completely that by the end of the discussion he thought I'd been in agreement with him the whole time!

I got out of there quickly, he seemed happy with how things had gone. Win-win. Well, the users will lose but under these circumstances... who gives a poo poo? :effort:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Ooops

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The end is near. HR told me the consultant asked her to update the wording of her severance template so he could "move on Dick Trauma." They usually give 1-2 weeks of severance tied to signing an agreement to not sue them. I think she understands that like the last HR person one of these days it's her they'll be "moving" on.

I was upset for a few minutes. That these people think it's good business to fire someone who has never had any feedback on their job performance... there's no fixing them. I expect I'm just an item on the to-do list, like buying more paper towel for the kitchen. It's not personal, it only feels that way. They don't know me.

It's been a frustrating and unhappy 2.5 years. The money has been good and the work pretty easy but feeling invisible and always on the verge of getting flushed down the toilet is something I'm weary of. Knowing that the people at the top are unhappy with me but at the same time unwilling to talk to me had me feeling so helpless. It was too similar to the situation at the last place. So weird to see the people with all the power unwilling to talk to little ol' me.

I'm worried about being able to get another job that pays this well. Getting fired for the first time at 50 is not a good feeling. I guess I could tell people I was laid off because the company didn't need someone with my level of expertise. Not that I have a lot of expertise, but even my smidgen was more than they were willing to make use of.

As usual they might still drag this out because they're all so busy and I expect that even now I'm a low priority. But I made sure that I don't have any personal items left in the office. When the time comes all I need to do is grab my mug and my bag and I'm gone. I'll try to take a few days to let my brain cool off before I jump back into job hunting. I hope I can find something soon, before the end of the year hiring drought arrives.

EDIT: I had my third therapy session today. It's still like we're just shooting the breeze. Feels a little weird. She suggested two sessions a week probably because she can see that I don't often get to talk to people. I guess when I get fired I'll have the free time for it!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 31, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that the next place will treat you much better.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I can squeeze out just one more month then they'll have paid off my iPhone, since they reimburse me for my cellphone bill. :haw:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

As someone else who is desperate to find a new job, my advice is: don't wait. Get your resume polished and start looking now. Employers are more likely to hire someone who is currently employed, it'll be easier to make up an excuse for why you're leaving, and knowing you still have an income coming in is going to make it a much less stressful process.

Job hunting sucks but it will suck less if you're still employed.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I agree with Sirotan.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A couple of weeks ago I updated my online resumes and contacted the recruiter that connected me with this job. So I did get started but you're right, I haven't been following the job posts closely and I should have.

Too much time feeling bad has made it hard to wake up and get energized. I'll start tomorrow morning... when I get to work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

The end is near. HR told me the consultant asked her to update the wording of her severance template so he could "move on Dick Trauma." They usually give 1-2 weeks of severance tied to signing an agreement to not sue them. I think she understands that like the last HR person one of these days it's her they'll be "moving" on.

I was upset for a few minutes. That these people think it's good business to fire someone who has never had any feedback on their job performance... there's no fixing them. I expect I'm just an item on the to-do list, like buying more paper towel for the kitchen. It's not personal, it only feels that way. They don't know me.

It's been a frustrating and unhappy 2.5 years. The money has been good and the work pretty easy but feeling invisible and always on the verge of getting flushed down the toilet is something I'm weary of. Knowing that the people at the top are unhappy with me but at the same time unwilling to talk to me had me feeling so helpless. It was too similar to the situation at the last place. So weird to see the people with all the power unwilling to talk to little ol' me.

I'm worried about being able to get another job that pays this well. Getting fired for the first time at 50 is not a good feeling. I guess I could tell people I was laid off because the company didn't need someone with my level of expertise. Not that I have a lot of expertise, but even my smidgen was more than they were willing to make use of.

As usual they might still drag this out because they're all so busy and I expect that even now I'm a low priority. But I made sure that I don't have any personal items left in the office. When the time comes all I need to do is grab my mug and my bag and I'm gone. I'll try to take a few days to let my brain cool off before I jump back into job hunting. I hope I can find something soon, before the end of the year hiring drought arrives.

EDIT: I had my third therapy session today. It's still like we're just shooting the breeze. Feels a little weird. She suggested two sessions a week probably because she can see that I don't often get to talk to people. I guess when I get fired I'll have the free time for it!

Basically, you've been in an abusive relationship all this time.

Getting fired is the best thing for you. It's tough right now, but I can guarantee that between 3-4 weeks after your last day, you'll wake up with a smile on your face for the first time in a very long time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does quitting invalidate your severance? If not it might feel better for you to tell them to gently caress off rather than letting them fire you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dick Trauma posted:

You could just tell them you got fired because you are old and unwilling to let stupid pass.