Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bandwidth presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Where is it bottlenecked?

It really seems on geometry and bandwidth. Doubling the ROPs might fix this, and in spec HBM2 (and thus more OC headroom) may as well.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They're never going to get the memo about rops, are they.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Where is it bottlenecked?

Somewhere around 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don Lapre posted:

Somewhere around 2011

:iceburn:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/GFXChipTweeter/status/902914844550037505

According to Raja, Vega drivers are not finished and not all features are active.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

https://twitter.com/GFXChipTweeter/status/902914844550037505

According to Raja, Vega drivers are not finished and not all features are active.

If they have not got it working after all this time what are the chances that they simply never will...

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Don Lapre posted:

Somewhere around 2011

Goddrat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Measly Twerp posted:

If they have not got it working after all this time what are the chances that they simply never will...

They're waiting to unload on Poor Volta.

Someone should ask him why Vega caught the driver team off-guard.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

He might mean enablement on the game developers side, since no engine is using FP16 or the higher tier DX12 features or primitive shaders yet. But don't hold your breath for those appearing in more than a handful of games any time soon.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Measly Twerp posted:

Raja is straight up saying Vega 64 is competitive with the 1080ti (that's the crux of Khalids argument, the delta in performance despite die size similarity). He..he does realize that's like, a 25% increase in performance over current results, right? 25% is usually reserved to moving to a new generation or the difference between market segments, that's basically conjuring up an entirely new card.

EDIT:

repiv posted:

He might mean enablement on the game developers side, since no engine is using FP16 or the higher tier DX12 features or primitive shaders yet. But don't hold your breath for those appearing in more than a handful of games any time soon.

If that's what he means then he's truly lost his marbles. It's akin to making the argument that Cypress would just trounce the GK104 if only they made use of the special function shaders.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 30, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

repiv posted:

This is what I was assuming. While there might be one or two minor things not enabled in drivers, the majority of it is probably stuff like FP16.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Reasons to buy Vega:

- The already-bad driver support for your Polaris card is bound to get worse now that RTG is focusing on Vega drivers

- It will heat your room in the coming winter

- Having a rare, difficult to get piece of hardware will make your system more unique

- It might secretly be good

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Maxwell Adams posted:

Reasons to buy Vega:

- The already-bad driver support for your Polaris card is bound to get worse now that RTG is focusing on Vega drivers

- Having a rare, difficult to get piece of hardware will make your system more unique

• You feel sorry for AMD and have money burning a hole in your pocket

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you don't buy a magazine subscription Raja isn't going to be able to make his Tesla payment this month :smith:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

HalloKitty posted:

• You feel sorry for AMD and have money burning a hole in your pocket

I wonder at this point what percentage of their profits are from fanboys.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I honestly feel really thick about this, but I wonder if anyone here can conduct an experiment, because I just realized that GP104-400 and Hawaii/Grenada Pro have an incredibly similar configuration, both being 2560 ALUs, 160 TMUs and 64 ROPs. Obviously they're grouped differently (the GP104 into 128, GCN obviously into 64) but a clock for clock comparison might be interesting? This is as close a direct comparison as possible I can think of offhand and it could put in context the uphill battle AMD has and where they might really need to improve.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Someone find a way to overclock the Bone X's GPU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I've been using DVI -> HDMI cable since I got my EVGA GTX 760 in Nov 2014 and only now happened to try connecting it by HDMI -> HDMI to the TV only to find out the HDMI port doesn't work.

Same problem as this guy: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f24/gtx-760-hdmi-not-working-817266.html

I bought the card from Newegg.ca, it says 3 year limited parts and labor warranty, any hope in getting this fixed or should I just write it off and use the other ports?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Someone find a way to overclock the Bone X's GPU

Still not useful since the Polega GPU in it is going to get bottlenecked by the Jaguar cores. Like, not even Puma+ or Puma, still loving Jaguar.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

cowofwar posted:

So I've been using DVI -> HDMI cable since I got my EVGA GTX 760 in Nov 2014...

I bought the card from Newegg.ca, it says 3 year limited parts and labor warranty, any hope in getting this fixed or should I just write it off and use the other ports?

By my count your warranty hasn't run out, so it shouldn't be an issue. Contact the manufacturer and go through the normal process, why wouldn't they send you a replacement for a broken port?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Welp I need to hold out until Navi launch to get cheap Vega because that one is going to be hosed by drivers just as bad even if the silicon is "perfect" anyway.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cowofwar posted:

So I've been using DVI -> HDMI cable since I got my EVGA GTX 760 in Nov 2014 and only now happened to try connecting it by HDMI -> HDMI to the TV only to find out the HDMI port doesn't work.

Same problem as this guy: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f24/gtx-760-hdmi-not-working-817266.html

It's still within warranty so call EVGA and see what they can do for you, all they need for proof of purchase is a digital copy of your invoice which you can get from your newegg order history page.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Reasons to buy Vega:

-you already spent a ton on a FreeSync ultrawide last year and hindsight's a bitch

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZobarStyl posted:

-you already spent a ton on a FreeSync ultrawide last year and hindsight's a bitch

a 1080 or 1080ti on any ultrawide is still a better experience than vega 99% of the time

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

cowofwar posted:

Might get a better card out of the deal. I think they cleared out 700 series cards a few months ago through b stock.

If not faster, whatever equivalent they can provide will certainly be objectively better in every other way. You can nudge that in the right direction by explaining your needs (or potential needs) that use all your ports, 'lil protip. Its possible you could receive a NIB 760 as well, which I'd put straight on ebay.

Or they can just fix the thing of course which is great too after 3 years

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AMD should have just scrapped it all on the consumer side and refreshed Fiji on 14nm. Probably would have worked heaps better.

In other news, I have a 1080 Ti now. And now I want to buy a 7700K because I am for the first time in living memory bottlenecked at the CPU :stare:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

AMD should have just scrapped it all on the consumer side and refreshed Fiji on 14nm. Probably would have worked heaps better.

In other news, I have a 1080 Ti now. And now I want to buy a 7700K because I am for the first time in living memory bottlenecked at the CPU :stare:

The i5 8600k is looking hot

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

The i5 8600k is looking hot

More delidding needed?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's pretty special that you need to do something that voids your warranty on the 7700k to stay at or above base clock for an extended period of time

imagine that times 1.5 for the 8600k and 8700k

they really should just solder that poo poo if they're gonna charge 399 for it really

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

isn't this pretty much what they did with vega

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I think for my next CPU if it's one of these things that need delidding, I'll just buy it off silicon lottery. They do the delid for you, guarantee the CPU works, and even guarantee an overclock for a little extra.

As opposed to spending the 50 bucks or whatever it is on the delidding kit, doing it myself and possibly loving it up because I'm a clutz and I'll probably drop it and it'll land die-down the way toast lands butter-down, and losing my warranty anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Or just get the better chip and buy AMD because it's 2003 again?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Haha nope, at least earlier folks were finding IPC regressions from Fiji. And DSBR isn't even on all the time, so it seems the implementation is way different from Pascal.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Truga posted:

Or just get the better chip and buy AMD because it's 2003 again?

No way is it 2003, where the gently caress is my 9700 Pro Redux AMD!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

No way is it 2003, where the gently caress is my 9700 Pro Redux AMD!

I heard vega is really loving good in dx9...? :v:

Also that's ATi and ATi's loving gone, deal with it. :rip:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8gb has been in stock on Newegg for over two hours! Never been that long before.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Polaris.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's pretty special that you need to do something that voids your warranty on the 7700k to stay at or above base clock for an extended period of time

imagine that times 1.5 for the 8600k and 8700k

they really should just solder that poo poo if they're gonna charge 399 for it really

You scared me, I thought the 8600k was supposed to be $400 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Green Gloves posted:

MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8gb has been in stock on Newegg for over two hours! Never been that long before.

It's as if the dumb AMD-only buttcoiners finally realizes NV cards may not actually suck at this crypto thing.