Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There were two big jumps in F1 engine reliability IIRC, one was 1996 when the no-hope teams were effectively tossed from the sport by the 107 rule (resulting in the grid going from 26 to 20), and another one in 2003, for some reason.

In the early sequential era there were also a poo poo ton of gearbox faliures. Pacific suffered from 9 alone in 1995 iirc.

Unrelated, but the Shannon Racing/Forti had a good paint scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how I feel about the 107% rule now. I was for it because it weeded out bad drivers, but it also led to the death of the privateers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

The views of the posters in this thread regarding Honda have been exactly inverted since the beginning of the season.

Not really. Everybody agrees that Honda is still a garbage fire but better the devil you know and essentially manufacturer status is better than customer status.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Eliminating the 107% rule/bringing in more teams than fit on the grid somehow would own now because grid penalties where you can actually fall out of the race would rule

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Not really. Everybody agrees that Honda is still a garbage fire but better the devil you know and essentially manufacturer status is better than customer status.

Yeah, no one thought this at the start of the season except for maybe me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think wicka is right on this point. However, I haven't changed my opinion: McLaren should exit the sport immediately. Also, Ferrari owns.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Just watch streams for free online, OP.

On fibre unlimited for £11.01 a month instead of £30 a month + set up fees :D

I was paying that for poo poo internet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

U.K. goons. more deals from Sky unlock code

May I just say that Sky are complete fuckers for doing all this bullshit, law now says they have to offer old customers deals as well as new ones, but not that they have to advertise them, or contact the old customers to tell them what they can have.

top of the range broadband for £11.01 a month deal

If you have been with them for a "I'm sorry I can't tell you that" amount of time, but I would guess it's over 5 years, then you qualify for something called Sky VIP. You have to call up and ask a question about it as in "a friend told me". This unlocks unlimited high speed fibre broadband for £11.01 a month, new router, no installation fee, and the Sky VIP channel which gives you popular shows a day before everyone else.

lmao trying to bring a VIP experience to watching lovely tv shows

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I think wicka is right on this point. However, I haven't changed my opinion: McLaren should exit the sport immediately. Also, Ferrari owns.

Correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvebsALb2SY

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

More evidence that Red Bull is (by association) terrible:

https://boingboing.net/2017/08/30/spoiled-red-bull-heir-kills-po.html

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just as a random sample the first five pages or so pages of this thread is full of people saying how bad Honda is so it turns out we are all really smart

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its there a correlation between Mclarens size zero concept and Honda´s awful engine?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Alonso has a record of unlucky decision making when changing teams, which means if he leaves McLaren because they stick with the Honda engine, it will be good in 2018.

If he stays, the Honda or Renault engine will be bad in 2018.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 30, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Its there a correlation between Mclarens size zero concept and Honda´s awful engine?

Yes, size zero was a terrible idea that wasted Honda's first 2-3 years of development. It doesn't excuse Honda's terrible execution, as both Ferrari and Renault also mistakenly believed the hybrid era would be aero-dependent and thus focused on smaller engines.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

The views of the posters in this thread regarding Honda have been exactly inverted since the beginning of the season.

Wait, I'm gone for 2 weeks and now everyone LOVES Honda and supports them fully??? :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I think wicka is right on this point. However, I haven't changed my opinion: Ferrari should be banished to the nether realm.

Fixed that for you, OP.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

track day bro! posted:

PHWOARRRR WHAT A T-SHIRT OP

I haven't watched the race yet, but I will watch the minidrivers episode when it comes out. Here are my driver ratings for the race.

1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes - ANOTHER WIN FOR THE CHEATING TEAM OF CHEATERS gently caress MERCEDES FIA NEEDS TO BAN THEM #cheaters #bad #badteam #fiaban 0/10

track day bro! posted:

2 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari - WHAT A TOP TOP DRIVE FROM QUALI TO THE RACE ITS JUST A SHAME THAT MERCEDES CHEATEING COST SEBASTIAN VETTEL ANOTHER GLORIOUS WIN FOR THE SCUDERIA FERRARI TEAM THE HEART OF F1 999999999999999999999999/10
3 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer - gently caress THIS GUY A BAD DRIVER WHO DRIVERS FOR A BAD TEAM, ILL GIVE HIM A POINT FOR NOT BEING A DISGUSTING BOGAN HICK AND NOT MANAGING TO DRINK OUT OF A SHOE FOR ONCE 1/10
4 7 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari - UNFAIRLY CHEATED BY THE FIA DUE TO THEIR ANTI-FERRARI BIAS BWOAH/10

track day bro! posted:

5 77 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes - Was a race driver who qualified for the race and finished the race doing all the laps 4/10
6 27 Nico Hulkenberg Renault - obviously sabotaged his superior teammates car 3/10

track day bro! posted:

7 8 Romain Grosjean Haas Ferrari - another solid points finish for the big gross man and (probably) didn't manage to cry on the radio during the race 7/10
8 19 Felipe Massa Williams Mercedes - heres what I have to say about Massa. FailPeePee Asssa
9 31 Esteban Ocon Force India Mercedes - Ocon't believe he managed to finish in the points after his mexican teammate tried to kill him 8/10
10 55 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso - hola mi nombre es Carlos Sains Jr. Estoy un piloto de Formula 1 7/10
11 18 Lance Stroll Williams Mercedes - Wow what a drive from the Canadian Powerhouse Lance Stroll very unlucky not to get into the points this time 9/10
12 26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso - GOD I DONT CARE

track day bro! posted:

13 30 Jolyon Palmer Renault - Had his car obviously sabotaged by his inferior teammate and died 10/10

track day bro! posted:

14 2 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren Honda - apparently this was his home gp, I think he's lying because he's not Dutch at all 5/10
15 20 Kevin Magnussen Haas Ferrari - If you think I can even think of something funny to say about this guy you're wrong but get this. Keven Fagnussen (I'm sorry mods) 5 just 5/10
16 9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber Ferrari - So bland I can't think of a rivals dot com pun for this guy
17 11 Sergio Perez Force India Mercedes - Pros, tried to kill his teammate. Cons, tried to kill his teammate. In conclusion, Sergio Perez is a land of contrasts 5/10

track day bro! posted:

NC 14 Fernando Alonso McLaren Honda - RIP, PRESS F TO PAY RESEPECTS 10/10

track day bro! posted:

NC 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer - CHEATED AGAIN BY HIS TEAM AT HIS HOME GP IN HOLLAND INFRONT OF ALL HIS FANS 10/10
NC 94 Pascal Wehrlein Sauber Ferrari - i can't even make a rivals dot com pun out of this guys name. he finished last place god I don't give a poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Let me check in on my pre-season prediction

Feels Villeneuve posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

Wow seems like I was right on the money

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

#hamoji

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Let me check in on my pre-season prediction

Wow seems like I was right on the money

Are you a psychic, OP?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Someone with more money than sense buy the forums a Hamoji

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tsaedje posted:

Someone with more money than sense buy the forums a Hamoji

:a2m:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

10/10 a good post, would read again.

Also, pls buy me this as an av

The tears are delicious

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

Also, pls buy me this as an av

The tears are delicious

Nobody do this, I've gotten used to Joe's Award glum face peering back at me whilst trawling the forums

Is there a HAM-oji for 'po faced, just got beaten by his team mate who then went on to quit the sport'

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
This page officially sucks with all those fraudmoji's

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shamojis

#freetrackdaybro!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Shamojis

#freetrackdaybro!

How much was he before haha.

But seriously guys, Hamojis are insanely for the win

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

It's a good job Adrian Sutil isn't a forums member or you'd have a face full of glass over this depiction of him and Lewis

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Get me this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQZP1AInPA in HD or better resolution during a race and I'd sign up for whatever stream F1 offered.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Honestly if it cut off the row with the heart ones thats like a slideshow of alonso's season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It apparently takes a week to rebuild the top end of a single cylinder two stroke :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's some in there that are clearly Honda-inspired.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

• Locked thread