Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Hiveswap Press Kit posted:

HIVESWAP: Act 1 is the first of a four-part series set in Andrew Hussie’s Homestuck universe, with a companion series, Hauntswitch, to follow.

https://www.hiveswap.com/press-kit

lmao

this is part one of 8 parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Clawtopsy posted:

lmao

I retract my previous estimate.

I now expect one fifty-third of a game

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
:sbahj:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

lmao

ah

so that's what existential dread feels like

been a while

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832375

hello friends

i made a thing

e: my alternate title was "Hive Citizen"

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 30, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Clawtopsy posted:

lmao

NO IT WONT

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

W-why

Why are they so ambitious to the point of absurdity

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

W-why

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be

Slightly

Fair

The second four part game that'll never be does not advance the story. Instead it's a parallel story that takes place during the first game that won't ever finish.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Close the thread, there's nowhere to go from here

e: why isn't this the header image for the games thread yet

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 30, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It never occurred to me before now that of course photographs exist of that and now I need to go lie down

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ya know what? I'm not going to be a negative Nelly about this.

The game is going to be good. Not "Undertale" good or "Night in the Woods" good, but still good and at the very least we'll finally have something fresh to bitch about.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Close the thread, there's nowhere to go from here

e: why isn't this the header image for the games thread yet

a billion hours in photoshop pays dividends

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

What am I looking at.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ya know what? I'm not going to be a negative Nelly about this.

The game is going to be good. Not "Undertale" good or "Night in the Woods" good, but still good and at the very least we'll finally have something fresh to bitch about.

I'm glad you finished and liked nitw. I don't generally like story focused games but I was impressed with that one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What am I looking at.

It's a picture of the Jonestown mass suicide

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a picture of the Hiveswap Part 8 Launch Party

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm glad you finished and liked nitw. I don't generally like story focused games but I was impressed with that one.

Oh yeah, NITW was amazing. I played through it twice and now I'm waiting for my memory of it to fade so I can start a third play through around Halloween when it'll feel fresh again.

Regy Rusty posted:

It never occurred to me before now that of course photographs exist of that and now I need to go lie down

There's also audio of it.

I don't recommend listening.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

There's also audio of it.

I don't recommend listening.

Yeah even as someone laughing my rear end off at Clawtopsy's masterpiece, don't do this.

so how bout that homestuck

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I want Night in the Woods on Switch. I've never played it before, but I wanna play it in bed or some place dark and quiet

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

I want Night in the Woods on Switch. I've never played it before, but I wanna play it in bed or some place dark and quiet

Playing Night in the Woods at night and in the woods would be a trip.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Playing Night in the Woods at night and in the woods would be a trip.

Sounds like a great way to get your neck broken on a rock or root you couldn't see.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading about some of the characters on the wiki (the few we know about anyways) and the existence of a proto-Empress character whose gimmick is "making memes and forcing people to laugh at her memes" does not give me much faith that the game will do a good job of carrying over the better aspects of Homestuck's humor. Like, the character reads exactly like a character some random Tumblr person might write into their fanfiction or something. It's like they're trying to carry over Homestuck's pop culture reference stuff, but are doing so in a really superficial, unfunny way. The same goes for the main human/troll characters, though to a lesser extent. All of them give off the "smell" of fanfiction characters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ITT we post from the future:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ytlaya posted:

I was reading about some of the characters on the wiki (the few we know about anyways) and the existence of a proto-Empress character whose gimmick is "making memes and forcing people to laugh at her memes" does not give me much faith that the game will do a good job of carrying over the better aspects of Homestuck's humor. Like, the character reads exactly like a character some random Tumblr person might write into their fanfiction or something. It's like they're trying to carry over Homestuck's pop culture reference stuff, but are doing so in a really superficial, unfunny way. The same goes for the main human/troll characters, though to a lesser extent. All of them give off the "smell" of fanfiction characters.

ah, yes, memes, the height of those heady days of 1994

Tunicate posted:

ITT we post from the future:

what if the thing was hauntswitch and tweetman blew up hussie's spot

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spellman posted:

Music composed in the visionary new genre of ENnhHhstep
The Grubbles stuff does nothing at all for me but the other music we've heard has actually been good, so I have some real hope for the sound track.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Sounds like a great way to get your neck broken on a rock or root you couldn't see.

What do you think this is, Injustice, or a Marvel Comic?

So how do all the people who actually had money when the kickstarter happened feel about their $8 value pre-order

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

KaosMachina posted:

So how do all the people who actually had money when the kickstarter happened feel about their $8 value pre-order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I'm increasingly happy I didn't have any money to throw at it at the time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Game's gonna be bad and I'm not gonna play it despite blowing $20 on it 5 years ago or whenever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GunnerJ posted:

Game's gonna be bad and I'm not gonna play it despite blowing $20 on it 5 years ago or whenever.

I'll take your copy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

KaosMachina posted:

I was barely interested in the game when I bought it and don't care now. I just wanted to throw a little cash at a comic I enjoyed and Patreon didn't exist yet.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

what the gently caress happened to youtube?

...oh they changed it again and threw some dumb gimmicks instead of fixing the actual problems

sounds familiar

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Don't lie, all you guys wanted was the smuppets and decks of cards or w/e

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Regy Rusty posted:

W-why

It may be the opposite of ambitious. It sounds more like they started out with plans for a big game, then split it into two when it was too big, then split each half into 4 so they could get something released when the original developer fell through.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the two takeaways from the ridiculous episodic plans I could imagine were that they want something where they can release a fraction of a game with overwhelming optimism that the rest of it will be finished later and be funded by fresh sales once everyone sees how great this game is (going to be).

The second was that they don't believe this very optimistic resuscitation attempt is actually going to work out, but the plan gives them cover by fronting a whole lot of optimism - rather than admit that there's been cause for concern in development they're just doubling down in a way that can only mean either things are going great or they're in so deep that more grandiose promises don't even matter.

I assume what'll happen is the first episode comes out, it's maybe the length of a Telltale episode, the low community mood and general lack of communication and hype means that the game doesn't catch fire and bring in a bunch of sales, then when they can't afford further development they close up shop saying "Well, we tried, and at least we put out something in the end." The episode itself will probably be okay and if this was a small indie dev's first attempt with no built-in expectations or kickstater nightmare it might be considered pretty interesting but it just won't be enough to justify the years of drama that preceded it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i always like reading dolash's posts. it's like slipping into a warm bath at the end of a tiring day.

always some very constructive and well written takes!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Spellman posted:

I am offended by these allegations. My attorney Pyralspite and I will see you in court.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Spellman posted:

The fact that I can't buy a replacement for my deck of The Felt playing cards since they went through the washer is a travesty.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i love my lemonsnout

i would have loved it the same for the $35 pricetag that came later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
That was my biggest gripe.
Afaik, they said they were limited to the kickstarter, but I guess they really needed the money so