Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

This, on the other hand, is absolutely maddening. I'm amazed at how terrible the pstv was, it was so bad that there wasn't even a netflix app.

The PSVita hardware was amazing but hooly poo poo Sony's software support for it was something else. I got it as soon as it launched in Japan and even then the machine was being treated like some higher-up at Sony misread the release date as a year earlier and, thinking it had sold 0 units in that time, immediately started shuttering support for it even though it had only just been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Casimir Radon posted:

I lost the extension cord part of my Sega Trio (Wall plug to the plug that goes into the adapter). Anyone have a part number for a replacement?

My trio just has a DC brick that has the AC plugs right on it. is yours mid span? If so show a picture here, it's probably something standard.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

univbee posted:

The PSVita hardware was amazing but hooly poo poo Sony's software support for it was something else. I got it as soon as it launched in Japan and even then the machine was being treated like some higher-up at Sony misread the release date as a year earlier and, thinking it had sold 0 units in that time, immediately started shuttering support for it even though it had only just been released.

Has the Vita CFW caught up to the PSP level of "go to" emulation handheld yet?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

That would be one of those Android tablets with integrated game controls at this point. Cheaper and more powerful than a vita and with far more development support.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fishmech posted:

That would be one of those Android tablets with integrated game controls at this point. Cheaper and more powerful than a vita and with far more development support.

But can I play Valkyrie Profile and We Love Katamari on it? This is important.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ppsspp exists for Android so yes.

Well, not We Love Katamari, but the PSP one wasn't bad.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FireMrshlBill posted:

I haven't touched it in months but if I recall, now that "Vita mode" works, SNES emulation was much smoother. I didn't try the titles that really push the system or have fancy hardware though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

the_lion posted:

I just spotted this video on how genesis games music was coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

I thought it was pretty interesting.

This was great, and covers my cross love of retro games and music production really well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

The Vita CFW is pretty great. You have to go into the mail app and open up a message to boot into it but it's still pretty good. I found SNES games ran perfectly, but on a n3ds xl you get perfect SNES emulation and pixel perfect visuals. Naturally the SNES games don't look as good on a Vita since it has a higher resolution screen.

Also the Vita memory card prices are a huge annoyance. I don't think anything ever came of that guy making 3G adapter to microsd converters, sadly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZocAR2lj8U

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

The only time since launch day Sony has done anything regarding the Vita is patch firmware the second anybody publicizes an exploit which is annoying. You never made a single game for this fantastic hardware you assholes! Just give it over to the people!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The Vita CFW is pretty great. You have to go into the mail app and open up a message to boot into it but it's still pretty good. I found SNES games ran perfectly, but on a n3ds xl you get perfect SNES emulation and pixel perfect visuals. Naturally the SNES games don't look as good on a Vita since it has a higher resolution screen.

Also the Vita memory card prices are a huge annoyance. I don't think anything ever came of that guy making 3G adapter to microsd converters, sadly.

Not anymore, if you are on firmware 3.60 you can use a thingy called Ensō https://enso.henkaku.xyz/ to permanently install it. Also, there are two options for microsd cards now - the 3g adaptor which requires a 3g vita and soldering and opening the case, and another adaptor which plugs into the gamecard slot which is way more popular for obvious reasons....

Edit: these two developments are really recent, as in the last month or so.

Edit 2: Because of ppsspp, cheats have been developed to enable FPS increases for psp games - and these work on vita. There are cheats for 30 and 60 fps http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=22800
Also because of ppsspp, there are cheats that hack in proper camera support for the right analogue stick for a bunch of games such as peace walker, which work amazing on vita and ppsspp http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=22787&pid=126027#pid126027

klen dool fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 30, 2017

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I'm playing though final fantasy III (aka FF6, the one with Terra, Sabin, etc.) For the first time. Fun game, but I stepped away for a few weeks and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Guess I'll just have to find a walkthrough and find my place and the start on the next questline or whatever. Like, I hate the extent to which many modern games hold your hand, but there is definitely a middle ground to be struck here.

E. Awesome; thanks! I'll check when I get home from work, but I feel like I was just about to get access to the espers (I had just finished the "split into three groups" section where you have bannon in the 3person group, but will provide more specifics later).

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 30, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1redflag posted:

I'm playing though final fantasy III (aka FF6, the one with Terra, Sabin, etc.) For the first time. Fun game, but I stepped away for a few weeks and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Guess I'll just have to find a walkthrough and find my place and the start on the next questline or whatever. Like, I hate the extent to which many modern games hold your hand, but there is definitely a middle ground to be struck here.

If you explicitly list which characters you have access to currently, where you are (nearest town/dungeon), and any major things you have (e.g. Espers, airship etc.) it can probably be very easily narrowed down here. For the most part, FF3/6 is actually pretty linear so it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

klen dool posted:

Not anymore, if you are on firmware 3.60 you can use a thingy called Ensō https://enso.henkaku.xyz/ to permanently install it. Also, there are two options for microsd cards now - the 3g adaptor which requires a 3g vita and soldering and opening the case, and another adaptor which plugs into the gamecard slot which is way more popular for obvious reasons....

Edit: these two developments are really recent, as in the last month or so.

uh you got a link to that second adapter?

e :

univbee posted:

If you explicitly list which characters you have access to currently, where you are (nearest town/dungeon), and any major things you have (e.g. Espers, airship etc.) it can probably be very easily narrowed down here. For the most part, FF3/6 is actually pretty linear so it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

yeah we can probably help with this, I know that game like the back of my hand. give us deets.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I've been doing a lot of work on my X2 to make it work well with my setup. First up is tate mode on arcade boards do not work properly with consumer LCDs as seen with my naomi:

Taito X2 has this same problem as it expects tate to be the opposite direction however X2 doesn't actually rotate the display at all, it just has the graphics all flipped in the software for the game. A little bit of messing around with Windows I was able to figure out how to flip the monitor upside down

Which resulted in working tate mode

After that I converted the process to executables I can launch from the menu so switching games just requires launching the rotation exe and rotating my monitor. With that fixed I wanted a better menu system which I figured out how to force the X2 to run in 720p mode.

And now my X2 has been pimped :c00l:

If only fixing Naomi were this simple :sigh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

Yeah this is what was so frustrating. The idea of the hardware was great, but holy poo poo did Sony drop the ball in every way possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah this is what was so frustrating. The idea of the hardware was great, but holy poo poo did Sony drop the ball in every way possible.

But-but-but, it plays ports of PS3 games! What more do you want?!

...Why are you all buying cheap PS3's instead of the more-expensive Vita and its small range of PS3 ports? :ohdear:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Was about to beat Otogi 2 when my Xbox's DVD drive took a poo poo. Cost almost as much to replace as it does to just buy a new system. Oh well. I got a Dreamcast coming and my PS2 still works. Still though :(

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

Was about to beat Otogi 2 when my Xbox's DVD drive took a poo poo. Cost almost as much to replace as it does to just buy a new system. Oh well. I got a Dreamcast coming and my PS2 still works. Still though :(

mod it and load games on hdd to avoid the disc drive all together?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

mod it and load games on hdd to avoid the disc drive all together?

It's difficult to mod the Xbox once your DVD drive has died, you basically have to go right to doing a proper modchip installation.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I've been getting into Mega Man recently and had a question about the X series. How come X2 and X3 for SNES sell for $100+ each, but you can get the X collection on PS2 which has X1 - 4 for the cost of any regular old game?

Is it just that people want the authentic SNES experience or is there something wrong with the PS2 collection, gameplay-wise or something?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
SNES collecting is an overinflated bubble, the end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GreatGreen posted:

So I've been getting into Mega Man recently and had a question about the X series. How come X2 and X3 for SNES sell for $100+ each, but you can get the X collection on PS2 which has X1 - 4 for the cost of any regular old game?

Is it just that people want the authentic SNES experience or is there something wrong with the PS2 collection, gameplay-wise or something?

If it makes you feel any better, when I was a junior in high school with my first job in 2003, I was discouraged from ever trying to buy CIB copies of those games for $60 on eBay. They've always been ridiculous.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreatGreen posted:

i bought a super famicom and started importing sfc games because american snes game prices are so fuckin stupid right now, just do that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The original games were always valuable but as far as differences in the X collection, X3 is the PS1 version and there are small bits in I believe X2 and X3 that no longer have slowdown which make them slightly harder.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Caitlin posted:

SNES collecting is an overinflated bubble, the end.

when's it pop btw? I sold poo poo a year ago because I thought it was getting too ridiculous. I didn't think it would get worse

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zand posted:

when's it pop btw? I sold poo poo a year ago because I thought it was getting too ridiculous. I didn't think it would get worse

If I can recall certain SNES games going for $40-$60 on eBay fourteen years ago, then I'm going to guess never

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GreatGreen posted:

Like others said people are just paying stupid amounts of money for SNES games. X3 actually is a bit of an uncommon game for real compared to the first two but nowhere near enough to warrant what you see it sell for today.

I actually kind of hate X3 myself which is an unpopular opinion but it just does nothing for me compared to 1 and 2. The worst is how a lot of the music you can tell is unintentionally offkey. The PSX version's music lacks the punch of an SNES chiptune but it's at least in tune.

But I just didn't like any of the bosses, most of the music tracks are bizarrely short (some are literally 30 seconds long before they loop), and playing a Zero is done in a half-assed and restricted way that feels not worth it for him not being particularly super powerful compared to X.

I have to sell all my SNES stuff, looking again now it really is crazy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreatGreen posted:

Megaman X2 and X3 are CX4 expansion chip games. As a result they always cost a bit more new, and people who have older flashcarts for the SNES can't play them on their flashcarts and so are more likely to buy these games if they want to play on the original hardware. Both games also didn't sell that well, especially X3. It also means that's it much harder for there to be a flood of modern counterfeit cartridges out there to drag down prices and be passed off as genuine.

Note that Megaman X3 was also natively available on the PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and the 3DO and those disc-based versions are rather cheap - so if you want to play the original game on original hardware, PlayStation version is probably the way to go. And of course the PS2 collection is just another disc based version which there's tons of available, pretty unusual for collections including games that are expensive for the original system to be expensive themselves.

But anyway, there's been plenty of copies of the SNES carts that have sold on eBay and Amazon in the past few months for around 50 to 60 bucks, they just tend to sell fast when they go up. Remember that just looking at the normal listings can be deceptive as unreasonably high prices are likely to persist for longer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

fishmech posted:

It's difficult to mod the Xbox once your DVD drive has died, you basically have to go right to doing a proper modchip installation.

Depending on the model the XBOX is ludicrously easy to chip, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

Megaman X2 and X3 are CX4 expansion chip games. As a result they always cost a bit more new, and people who have older flashcarts for the SNES can't play them on their flashcarts and so are more likely to buy these games if they want to play on the original hardware. Both games also didn't sell that well, especially X3. It also means that's it much harder for there to be a flood of modern counterfeit cartridges out there to drag down prices and be passed off as genuine.

Note that Megaman X3 was also natively available on the PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and the 3DO and those disc-based versions are rather cheap - so if you want to play the original game on original hardware, PlayStation version is probably the way to go. And of course the PS2 collection is just another disc based version which there's tons of available, pretty unusual for collections including games that are expensive for the original system to be expensive themselves.

But anyway, there's been plenty of copies of the SNES carts that have sold on eBay and Amazon in the past few months for around 50 to 60 bucks, they just tend to sell fast when they go up. Remember that just looking at the normal listings can be deceptive as unreasonably high prices are likely to persist for longer.

I had to look up if there was a 3DO release for Mega Man X3 because I had never heard of that before. It turns out that there was supposed to be, but that edition never was released.

But there is a PC version that did get an English-language release in Europe.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

financially racist posted:

i bought a super famicom and started importing sfc games because american snes game prices are so fuckin stupid right now, just do that
:same:

I paid way less for all of the SFC Rockmans than I would have for an American X2 or X3 alone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But-but-but, it plays ports of PS3 games! What more do you want?!

...Why are you all buying cheap PS3's instead of the more-expensive Vita and its small range of PS3 ports? :ohdear:

PS3's weren't really cheap when the PSTV launched, especially in Japan (late 2013, remember, PS4 wasn't even out yet). The PSTV was less than half the cost of a PS3 and like infinity times smaller. Sony could have crushed it in the "college dorm" demographic super-easily with the right library of party games, which are limited on PSTV but do exist, like Towerfall Ascension.

Also Tekken 2.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I still want to get a PS3 again (it would be my third) for After Burner Climax. Can't shake the drat thing away.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I bought a sfc last month, shipped, from japan, for under $20. The price differences are crazy.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

I bought a sfc last month, shipped, from japan, for under $20. The price differences are crazy.

Can't you just remove the tabs on your SNES and play SFC games?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FireMrshlBill posted:

you can but the super famicom looks rad as hell.

especially if, like me, you buy a cib sfc, because it has the most baller-rear end box for any game system ever. it's a piece of art in its own right.

besides if you're going down the importing video games route, you might as well just go all the way with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

you can but the super famicom looks rad as hell.

especially if, like me, you buy a cib sfc, because it has the most baller-rear end box for any game system ever. it's a piece of art in its own right.

respect

• Locked thread