Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I thought I read that helmets don't really do much to prevent concussions, they're more about preventing skull fractures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Virginia Tech helmet testing has actually been updated and the best rated one is $300 http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0q40f79I0

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
No hockey helmet on the market will protect you from a fall like that, no matter how expensive it is. If you fall like a tree and slam the back of your head on the ground, you're likely going to get a concussion.

The problem (same with football players despite wearing much larger helmets with much more padding) is that once your brain is up to speed, skating in one direction, any sudden stop or change in direction (hitting the ice or being checked) causes your brain to move. Padding inside the helmet attempts to create a slowing buffer between the exterior of the helmet and your head but the reality is that there isn't enough padding to create the time needed to slow your head down to prevent your brain from slamming forward. Unfortunately the helmet would likely be huge and look something like this

Helmets mainly protect players from pucks and sticks, and minor bumps/contact. Thats about all they're good for. Bicycle helmets are 90% collapsible foam and meant to be thrown away if they are worn in an accident. Hockey helmets need to be more durable or else they would need to be replaced on such a frequent basis that hockey would be even more ungodly expensive than it already is. Personally, it seems like making a helmet with cheap/effective padding that can be replaced every few months (or after a major head collision) makes more sense but the companies wouldn't sell many helmets.

Please don't take this as a "helmets are bad" because gently caress ... wear a goddam helmet. But don't assume they are going to do more than they are designed for (which isn't much).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Gonna buy that puck hat for my wife when she comes to our games.

Is there any place to find older model sticks? I have a warrior stick with a Pavelski curve which I love. Just afraid of it breaking with the start of a new season. Or if anyone has a similar curve recommendation.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I think that learning the "code" for a curve is better than tying it to the player's name, because not all brands use the same players' names for the same curves.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/blade_desc.html?styleref=147173&brandcat=WARRCURVES

A quick google search brought me this.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

In what capacity? Comfort?

That and basic contact protection. Like somebody said, if you're taking a swan dive into the ice it doesn't really matter, but the high grade stuff protects better for more typical encounters

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Verman posted:

Helmets mainly protect players from pucks and sticks

I got a concussion from a dude jousting me in the cage with his stick while he tried to skate past me, that was fun.

I probably would have had a better chance not sustaining a concussion if I didn't have any facial protection, as my head would have had less of a whiplash effect since his blade would have ploughed through my eye socket and come to a more gradual stop.

Lesson learned for next time!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Verman posted:

No hockey helmet on the market will protect you from a fall like that, no matter how expensive it is. If you fall like a tree and slam the back of your head on the ground, you're likely going to get a concussion.

The problem (same with football players despite wearing much larger helmets with much more padding) is that once your brain is up to speed, skating in one direction, any sudden stop or change in direction (hitting the ice or being checked) causes your brain to move. Padding inside the helmet attempts to create a slowing buffer between the exterior of the helmet and your head but the reality is that there isn't enough padding to create the time needed to slow your head down to prevent your brain from slamming forward. Unfortunately the helmet would likely be huge and look something like this

Helmets mainly protect players from pucks and sticks, and minor bumps/contact. Thats about all they're good for. Bicycle helmets are 90% collapsible foam and meant to be thrown away if they are worn in an accident. Hockey helmets need to be more durable or else they would need to be replaced on such a frequent basis that hockey would be even more ungodly expensive than it already is. Personally, it seems like making a helmet with cheap/effective padding that can be replaced every few months (or after a major head collision) makes more sense but the companies wouldn't sell many helmets.

Please don't take this as a "helmets are bad" because gently caress ... wear a goddam helmet. But don't assume they are going to do more than they are designed for (which isn't much).

This is really good to know. Thanks!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hockles posted:

I think that learning the "code" for a curve is better than tying it to the player's name, because not all brands use the same players' names for the same curves.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/blade_desc.html?styleref=147173&brandcat=WARRCURVES

A quick google search brought me this.

Yeah sorry I was at work trying to remember what I could. I've used that before but I really like the feel of the Warrior sticks so wanted to stay with them.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

topenga posted:

Alternatively, took a puck straight to the face in my $350+ goalie bucket. Felt nothing.

Yes, but if you fell back on the backplate, you'd still likely get a concussion. So how is goaltending in Austin these days?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

Yes, but if you fell back on the backplate, you'd still likely get a concussion. So how is goaltending in Austin these days?

Ooooh, good point on the backplate.

I'm frustrated that I'm not learning fast enough and that my confidence is so very low. Then I have to remind myself I have literally been on the ice in full gear less than 10 times. I'm not going to just magically be able to butterfly and pop right back up. My knees and hips are 42 years old. They hate me every day.

I did have one guy in C2 essentially say "Hurry up and learn because we have no goalies." So that's motivation to keep trying. :)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got a new All-Black Ab 88 with the 72 flex. I've been using one but with an 80 flex for the past two-three seasons. I cut my sticks pretty short usually though so I thought I'd go even lighter on the flex this time and see how that feels.

They are nice sticks though. The blade on my original one is getting a little dinged up now but I've had it for I think two or three seasons now and it hasn't broken which is nice since I play d and my sticks tend to take a beating. Definitely a solid stick for a reasonable price.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Got a new All-Black Ab 88 with the 72 flex. I've been using one but with an 80 flex for the past two-three seasons. I cut my sticks pretty short usually though so I thought I'd go even lighter on the flex this time and see how that feels.

They are nice sticks though. The blade on my original one is getting a little dinged up now but I've had it for I think two or three seasons now and it hasn't broken which is nice since I play d and my sticks tend to take a beating. Definitely a solid stick for a reasonable price.

One of my teammates swears by All Blacks. He has a 100 flex that he thinks broke somewhere around the start of our summer season but it never broke apart so ke keeps using it. It got significantly more flexy though, I would estimate somewhere around a 70 flex. It just wouldn't break and this guy is a solid skater with a really powerful shot. Just my experience but it seems durable and most people who buy them often become repeat buyers. I think thats likely the route I'm goign to go when my stockpile of pro stock Reeboks and last 2 $7 amazon Fischers fail me. I just hate buying sticks sight unseen and I'm not sure I like any of their blade patterns.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 31, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

One of my teammates swears by All Blacks. He has a 100 flex that he thinks broke somewhere around the start of our summer season but it never broke apart so ke keeps using it. It got significantly more flexy though, I would estimate somewhere around a 70 flex. It just wouldn't break and this guy is a solid skater with a really powerful shot. Just my experience but it seems durable and most people who buy them often become repeat buyers. I think thats likely the route I'm goign to go when my stockpile of pro stock Reeboks and last 2 $7 amazon Fischers fail me. I just hate buying sticks sight unseen.

They have some videos on their site that show the sticks and what the curves look like. So it's not maybe as blind a buy as just looking at a graphic on a web site. I like them a lot. They're definitely durable. And I noticed an immediate difference in puck feel with them as compared to the cheaper Tron composites I was using before.

The only thing is they do feel stiffer compared to other sticks. Like an 80 flex for them feels stiffer than an 80 on another brand. But that could just be me, ymmv and all that. I still like the sticks a lot, it's just my recommendation would be err on the side of going lower in flex with them unless you like a stiffer stick. I don't take a lot of slap shots so for me I prefer the whippier side of things.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

look at this assclown toe hook

i'm either going to be completely useless with it or i'm going to be ruined permanently and have to always use assclow toe hooks from here on out

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

that's very similar to the curve i use. send it to me, this assclown would like it if you don't.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

Ooooh, good point on the backplate.

I'm frustrated that I'm not learning fast enough and that my confidence is so very low. Then I have to remind myself I have literally been on the ice in full gear less than 10 times. I'm not going to just magically be able to butterfly and pop right back up. My knees and hips are 42 years old. They hate me every day.

I did have one guy in C2 essentially say "Hurry up and learn because we have no goalies." So that's motivation to keep trying. :)

You been going to Chris's Sunday goalie camps?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bewbies posted:

i'm either going to be completely useless with it or i'm going to be ruined permanently and have to always use assclow toe hooks from here on out

You could shoot right and still make it top left corner with that banana.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
nice kitchen

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You're not allowed to raise the puck in Colorado, bewbies

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

You're not allowed to raise the puck in Colorado, bewbies

I'm bringing the pitching wedge for you, sweetie

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I hated them at first until I started using a Kesler pro return for roller hockey and holy poo poo I kinda love it...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Literally the only part of my game anyone compliments is my backhand, so I go with the least curvy blade I can get.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bootcha posted:

You been going to Chris's Sunday goalie camps?

Yah. It's been fun! I know I need more time on the ice between camps but it's just a pain in the rear end rushing from work to hit a stick and puck time. I need to suck it up and do it more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My rink is melting and redoing one of the sheets right now. Hopefully it'll freeze before the second period now. Hopefully?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My rink is melting and redoing one of the sheets right now. Hopefully it'll freeze before the second period now. Hopefully?

Not likely. I feel like most rinks in the summer have issues staying frozen, especially if you're in a warm climate area.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

If I didn't know you, I'd say you were showing off your kitchen...also please don't hit me with the puck at PBR.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

also please don't hit me with the puck at PBR.

sellouts posted:

I'm bringing the pitching wedge for you, sweetie

:getin:

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
how many more years do i gotta play before i stop randomly falling on my rear end in the middle of the ice with no one around me

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bad news for ya, bud

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

bad news for ya, bud

Yeah I've been playing for 25 years and the other night I toe picked and fell on our goalie which led to a goal. poo poo happens man.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I've been playing for 25 years and the other night I toe picked and fell on our goalie which led to a goal. poo poo happens man.

Gear's not everything but you should try switching to hockey skates

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hot drat, found a like-new pair of Eagle X50 gloves on eBay. I've been casually looking for these for years. Hopefully they fit and feel as amazing as I remember.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Taking a month off and then immediately goaltending a C level pickup was a terrible idea. I feel like I'm dying.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152686058575

Someone got an absolute steal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

This is the Kesler I've been using for roller. I guess not as extreme as I was thinking.

This is the True I bought accidentally, sorta looking forward to giving it a go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you wind up a shot does everyone on the ice dive out of the way?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

Effective way to make sure the shot gets through to the net.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You learn to control shots.

I find it a lot easier to have to try and keep shots down then try and get them up.

My standard slap shot with open face curves is around crossbar height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

And everyone off the ice.