Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Chev posted:

Water is a resource in this game, not just an obstacle. They want you to have to take this constraint into account and not just be able to build a water supply out of nowhere.

I wonder if they'd ever implement basic water physics. "Elevation" changes that control how water flows and a basic drainage model, without affecting the gameplay or graphical display at all. Then let the player excavate channels for water to flow to desired locations from 'uphill'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Maybe in Factorio 2, but this game is nearly feature complete. I think they plan one more big patch between now and release.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

uPen posted:

It's very simple. You setup depots where your train idles and then requested and provider stations. You tell the station what it is, what it wants and what it has using a single constant combinator for each stop. Once it's running your train system basically works like a bot network with trains being automatically dispatched to fill requests on demand.

Awesome. I'm definitely going to check this out for real later tonight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about water as a resource earlier, and I was thinking they could implement water similer to how oatches of other resources were. Call them aquifers and have them be technically finite but very large. Digging over an aquifer will result in a water tile, but as an aquifer shrinks, water tiles can dry up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not like water is a particularly interesting resource now. It's not exactly scarce; maybe you'll have to run a bit of pipe someplace, but water sources are infinite and it's trivial to get more throughput than you'll ever use.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...right, but being able to drain lakes and poo poo would be cool. And aquifers not being everywhere would mean that you couldn't just dig moats wherever you wanted.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
nvm

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I want to try Bob's without angels, what all do I install?

Is there a SA factorio discord channel?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

...right, but being able to drain lakes and poo poo would be cool. And aquifers not being everywhere would mean that you couldn't just dig moats wherever you wanted.

Allow biters to swim, only slowly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I want to try Bob's without angels, what all do I install?

Is there a SA factorio discord channel?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816431

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm so badgood at this game. I'm building something I call "The Beast". It involves 864 furnaces, no modules, no beacons. Combined with something i call a "wedge unloader" it takes 12 fully compressed blue belts of ore off a train and outputs 12 full compressed belts of plates. It is epic to behold.

Wedge Unloader:

The Beast, you can see the furnaces lighting up as a load of ore pours into it. Eventually, when the train network is finished, it will run nonstop.

Bonus pic.

Sorry for nightime shots, but the furnaces lighting up is prettier at night, and this is just WIP stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Update on my beaconised green circuit design: I found how to balance the belts without compromising size, beacon effectiveness, or tessellation.

Blueprint string: https://pastebin.com/Qx60RjXe

Less intimidating red version:

https://pastebin.com/wvETFPLi

The trick was to use underground belts in the interior to make every second assembler output to the inside of the belt rather than attempting to balance the belts afterwards. There happens to be the perfect space to do that because of the beacon spacing.

This should meet my needs for a while.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Platystemon posted:

Update on my beaconised green circuit design: I found how to balance the belts without compromising size, beacon effectiveness, or tessellation.

Blueprint string: https://pastebin.com/Qx60RjXe

Less intimidating red version:

https://pastebin.com/wvETFPLi

The trick was to use underground belts in the interior to make every second assembler output to the inside of the belt rather than attempting to balance the belts afterwards. There happens to be the perfect space to do that because of the beacon spacing.

This should meet my needs for a while.

Be honest with yourself. It'll meet your needs right up until you expand blue circuit production.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Here's a fun thing to do in multiplayer. Get yourselves power armour. Get yourselves weapons and as much ammo as you can carry. Get tanks. Roll out in a direction and see how far you can cut into biter territory. See if you can make it back with all of your buddies. Serious bonus points if you come back in your original tank.

I've done this and brought back up tanks, back up jeeps, back up turrets, back up weapons, and they were all required. At first you're just having a laugh with your fellow tank buddies, but then you start running out of flamer ammunition and your friend has to perform some repairs by hand and oh jesus christ just loving drive drive drive

It's a good time. I've lost a lot of hours to this game and driving off into the distance with my friends online thinking, "Have I prepared for the absolute worst?" and having literally all of my contingency equipment being used so we could all get home was a great experience.

EDIT: Next thing I want to set up is a tank factory. I want a god drat tank division. I want to have swarms of tanks claim the planet. Got a long way to go though.

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 30, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Man, an ai tank mod would be sweet. Set patrol routes from the map, customize colors and ammo loadouts, set multiple tanks to a route, and watch them clear out biters from the back lines.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

neogeo0823 posted:

Man, an ai tank mod would be sweet. Set patrol routes from the map, customize colors and ammo loadouts, set multiple tanks to a route, and watch them clear out biters from the back lines.

you're in luck (kind of, it's like circuits level of difficulty.... on crack)

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel/aai-programmable-vehicles

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Problem with AI tanks is that theres nothing really for them to fight. Maybe in PVP they'd be a lot more useful but in the stock game you may as well just walk up to them with your suit of power armour on and wait for them to all die to your laser defences while you go make a cup of coffee.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly what I'd really like to see is a gamemode similar to Big Pharma or Offworld trading company, Where your inputs and outputs have some kind of monetary value assigned to them and the goal is to make as much money by making, trading and selling poo poo in an [arbitary time period] interval. Would be pretty sweet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly what I'd really like to see is a gamemode similar to Big Pharma or Offworld trading company, Where your inputs and outputs have some kind of monetary value assigned to them and the goal is to make as much money by making, trading and selling poo poo in an [arbitary time period] interval. Would be pretty sweet.

That would be pretty sweet. Have it unlock after you launch the rocket, but either bring the rocket forward a bit in the tech tree or basically have a whole new tree that unlocks with the trading or make most of the stuff you make as of now worthless basically, and then give the player goals to meet that require launching poo poo to the orbiting trading station and receiving stuff back from it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone_Fragger posted:

You can pretend grey science is cash in the mean time.

Or science in general, its just cash for upgrades. Weigh your worth as a person in how much endless research you unlock.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
There's a mod called black market trading or something that lets you sell off things for coin, which you can then turn around and buy things.

It's really nice for starting out but makes the game crazy easy when you can dump-sell like raw ore and have money to just buy all your science packs directly.

The more work/parts in things sell for more than raw ore, but it's definitely entertaining to sell off whatever and supplement your factory with the cash.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, I may have mentioned this here before, but I've been pouring a lot of time into a dynamic train routing system. I'm pretty much done with it. I haven't finished making all the components aesthetically pleasing yet, but everything works.

Cross-posting my giant effort-post from reddit:

I've mentioned this thing I've been working on in a few threads, but now I'm going to take a crack at laying it all out. Examples in this post are all from a small, self-contained "model train" setup that I used for testing, but OMNIstop works at any scale. I hope to update with larger implementations as I complete their construction.

What is OMNIstop?

-
The built-in train mechanics of factorio are pretty great. They let you set up complex train routes and stop-specific instructions for trains. Stops can be dynamically activated, but this turns them on(or off) for all trains. Because routes are train-based, rather than station-based, and are immutable except by direct player interaction, the ability to change a train's route dynamically does not exist. Until now. While it's true that you cannot change the name of the next station a train is going to, trains will find the best path to the next station of that name. To make use of this fact, all trains on an OMNIstop network have only two train stops on their route: OMNIstop and Weigh Station. All OMNIstop stops are identical to each other, and all Weigh Station stops are identical. Their functions and behavior are determined by circuit packages. When a train leaves an OMNIstop, all it knows is that it's going to the nearest Weigh Station, and when a train leaves a Weigh Station, it paths to the next OMNIstop. All loading, unloading, and idling stops are OMNIstops, while Weigh Stations serve to route trains to the appropriate OMNIstop for their current cargo and location.

What Problem Does This Solve?

-
Before designing the OMNIstop system, I used a system where all trains had all stops in a sequence, but only stops that were ready to be loaded were active. This way, trains didn't path to stops that weren't ready with a full load of cargo. However, full trains would still path through the next stop on their list, even if it was out of the way. This meant that fully loaded trains would take the scenic route to unloading if later stops were available. Unless your rail system is a loop with each loading station near the main line, this is hugely inefficient. With OMNIstop, a train will path to the next available OMNIstop Loading Station, and then bypass all OMNIstops until the next Weigh Station. If this Weigh Station is equipped with the Routing Station circuit package, it can control the train signals exiting the station to direct the train to an appropriate OMNIstop Unloading Station based on the train's cargo. In this way, trains are always making the shortest circuit without any detours. In combination with a dispatcher, trains can idle until they are needed.

Train Logic

-
All OMNIstop trains are identical and are used interchangeably by the OMNIstop network. The only two stops they have on their route are OMNIstop and Weigh Station. Their wait condition for OMNIstop is:
Green Signal > 0
OR Yellow Signal > 0
AND 1 Second Inactivity

Their wait condition for Weigh Stations is simply:
Green Signal > 0

Stop Logic
-
All OMNIstops are configured with all 4 boxes checked.
x Enable/Disable
x Read Train Contents
x Send to Train
x Read Stopped Train

Activation Signal O > 0. This is arbitrary, I picked it because I wasn't using O and it OMNI starts with O...
Transmit T. This is default and standard.

All Weigh Stations are configured with the last 3 boxes checked. Weigh Stations should never be disabled, because that could cause trains to route unpredictably through OMNIstops. They transmit T as usual.

Station Circuit Packages
-
An OMNIstop network consists of 5 types of stops:
OMNIstop Types:
* Loading Station
* Unloading Station
* Train Depot Idle Slot
Weigh Station Types:
* Routing Station
* Passthrough Station

Loading Stations

A basic OMNIstop loading station is set up read the contents of the buffer chests and activate the station when some condition is met. In addition to this, a constant combinator sends a Yellow Signal to the station. This means that the train will depart after 1 second of inactivity, either because it is full, or because the buffer is empty. For this reason, inserters loading the buffer are wired to deactivate when a train is present, so that the train departs when the buffer is empty, rather than being trickle-filled over a long period of time. This is optional, of course.
A more complicated OMNIstop Loading Station has an additional circuit pack to send a request to the dispatcher that a train should be sent out. I think I'm going to cover my dispatcher logic in a separate post.
Unloading Stations
-
A basic OMNIstop Unloading Station is wired to a constant combinator that sends both Yellow and O signals to the stop, so that it is both always on, and a train will leave if it is inactive for 1 second. Beyond this, you can put any kind of other logic that you want here. If you want it to be a universal unloading stop, OMNIstop doesn't care. OMNIstop *is* designed to route trains based on their cargo, so a system with dedicated unloading stops is the intended use case for OMNIstop.

Train Depot Idle Slot
-

Train Depot Idle Slots are wired to a constant combinator sending O, so that they are always on. In addition to this, they use a Dispatch/Relay package connected to the Central Dispatcher, or the Dispatch/Relay Package of the previous Idle Slot. The purpose of the Dispatch/Relay package is that when it recieves a dispatch signal, it will dispatch the train from that slot by sending a green signal to the stop. If the slot is empty, it will relay the green signal to the next slot's Dispatch/Relay package. In this fashion, the first train encountered by the Dispatch/Relay system, AND ONLY the the first train encountered by the Dispatch/Relay system, will be dispatched from the Train Depot.

Routing Station
-

The Routing Station takes a snapshot of the trains cargo. This snapshot is then read by combinators which activate exit signals to appropriate destinations. A default exit path is enabled if no other path is enable, so there is always a valid path for the train. The snapshot is important, because without it being temporarily stored, the signals will revert as soon as the train leaves the stop, and the routing will not work. The snapshot is cleared when the train fully exits the Routing Station block. The Routing Station is the most powerful component of the OMNIstop system, because it is fully customizable. A routing station is often preceded by an "Idiot Catcher" OMNIstop, which is a passthrough OMNIstop wired to green that prevents any train from blowing through a routing station, and also allows a routing station to loop trains back through itself until a certain condition is met, such as their cargo being completely empty.
The routing station pictured above closes the far right path of the train contains no iron plates, because that path leads to an iron plate unloading station. It closes the middle path if the train contains no copper plates. A train containing both copper and iron plates can go to either. The left path is open only if neither of the other paths are open.
[Circuit Diagram](http://i.imgur.com/erNQQRa.png) [Circuit Blueprint](https://pastebin.com/deLn9Rfa)

Passthrough Station
-
While the "all trains have only 2 stops that they alternate between" gives us amazing flexibility to dynamically route trains, it also means we sometimes need a train stop that does nothing, because we can't send a train from one OMNIstop to another. In this case, we simply place a Weigh Station wired to green. The only place we actually NEED one of these is at the entrance, and exit, of our train depot.

Putting it all together
-

Here is the "model train" setup that I used to test all of the circuit packages and for proof of concept. On the left, we have the 2-slot Train Depot with dispatcher. Each slot is an OMNIstop. Exiting the depot north, we have a passthrough Weigh Station. Then we have our first loading station. This stations loads Iron. A little further on, we have a second loading station, which loads Copper. Then we come to our first Routing Station (there is an "idiot catcher" passthrough OMNIstop immediately before it). This routing station has 3 exits, one for trains containing Iron Plates, one for Trains containing Copper Plates, and one for trains containing neither, the default path. The default path leads directly back to the train depot. Because Train Depot slots are OMNIstops, a train taking the default path will go back to the depot where it awaits dispatch. Both the copper and iron unloading stations route to another Routing Station. This routing station only has 2 exits: one for trains that have iron or copper, and one for trains that have neither. Trains that have neither route back to the depot, just as before. Trains that have either iron or copper are routed back towards the "idiot catcher and go through the routing station again. They will repeat this loop until all iron and copper are unloaded, and then go back to the depot.

Conclusion
-
Pros and Cons
-
Pros:
* Trains always take the most efficient route.
* All trains have the exact same instruction set, so adding trains to the system is trivial.
* Unlimited routing logic potential.
* Blueprinted circuit packs make system expansion easy.
Cons:
* Rail network must be logically structured so that desired train paths alternate OMNIstops and Weigh Stations(see below)
* Because all trains are used interchangeably, OMNIstop networks expect all trains to be the same size.
* Because trains are dynamically allocated, backups at unloading stations can cause problems, where trains will eventually all fill up completely with the resource that cannot be unloaded, causing the entire factory to crash. Ask me how I know.

There are still improvements to be made, but I'm very happy with how well this experiment has turned out. What I really like about it is how powerful it is. The Routing Station allows basically unlimited filtering and routing of trains based on cargo contents. The possibilities are endless. Setup is pretty straightforward with minimal customization needed for each station. You need to manually set the combinators for what items you want routing exits to be for.

I wanted to share a lot more, but this post took longer than I thought, and I have to run. I will share blueprints later tonight, as well and post more in-depth about the Dispatcher and Dispatch/Relay systems. And I'll have more pictures. I'd like to make a video at some point giving a tour of a larger OMNIstop system.

OMNIstop may not be the best for every situation, but it can work in any situation, and it was really fun to build.

OMNIstop

The Only Stop You'll Ever Need

edit: The biggest misconception that people have about this system is that "because trains alternate between OMNIstops and Weigh Stations, you need to put Weigh Stations at every junction".

Here is a diagram showing why that isn't the case:

Since trains always alternate between the blue OMNIstops and the red Weigh Stations, any red-blue-red-blue path you trace through this network will be the shortest path through those stops. By only turning blue stops on when they are ready for a train to come be loaded, you have very efficient train paths. By using a dispatcher, you don't have trains driving around constantly for no reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dirk the Average posted:

Be honest with yourself. It'll meet your needs right up until you expand blue circuit production.

That’s next.

Now for red circuits.

That’s cute, but look at all that empty space.

https://pastebin.com/5uC1bh89

Now that’s more like it.

Building it was belt hell, but it turned out clean enough.

This block could eat about twelve express belts of green circuits.

The boring, half‐length prototype is here. As much as I hate to admit it, it has its advantages.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

How the hell do you produce so much iron or copper plates to support all this? Can someone put a picture of their furnace set up?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Oodles posted:

How the hell do you produce so much iron or copper plates to support all this? Can someone put a picture of their furnace set up?

I've used this beacon'd full blue belt one for aaaageess

pre:
0eNqlXO1y2loMfBf/hs7R+XZe5U7nDgHfjueC8dim00yGd69JGkLAlNX6V5qQ7DGSFkkrnb4Wz9tD1XZ1MxRPr0W93jd98fTPa9HXP5rV9vSz4aWtiqeiHqpdsSia1e703XO1Gn+1OC6KutlUv4onOS4e/lG1rdZDV6+X/x2
6ZrWuLv7cHr8viqoZ6qGu3h/g7ZuXf5vD7rnqRvzroxdFu+/HXx//OZ43QizDongZv1h3gh0P7k8v9G1VbZa7/eawrZbudNDpQa/A7ecj/mq7qu+XQ7dq+nbfDcvnajtMHOb+HGbHwzZ1N76xtxf9BLrj0d1jdH9G74fV+v9
l3fRVN4yv3KLaaVQ7gRpunvkwOqr70e3Hr/ee2l7Y5CMAmvYwFBMHxPtRcQNsLnDPjm270afjO/g5oj7yb4JtpDBRVrtV4dWSBgcCUsxDMvFcEgVTjR79lqp9u62HOwH/7eMkAawyg6cGgPdzKHV9wGOCSdAzTEqWYRL
VFDOPKSaJpgHiEZ7BSDiVMMn0NLAGJpkkPbrQTJD82DKWT7dvAfoI3qkz4vVTT8Wi/eTvrtrUh93yTKt2v63+Al5O2jiwwQfZINLoiAOT0hR/t0RGicKEcsnHWgJKO8PDRwBe9KGcHoeyszNS0c1zn1PR/jDcyUXOEbkosrnI
eW0ugozGExYJJJ6wSBwlPF14Ncdc5knggYcvqZJPAtA7mTlE8OqazAvBA8fywFs6phDbORodcLrXc9g/5rAPcKrR08BHnGSiR088yRAVYQaHgY7Tl/pEZgGVwrA1mZuycRA6pAEbBJ6OgAODI2uyaUt4mCj6UA6BjzWgrQu
Rhwf6upDm5AyjL55C1nNHAO6URC4ybC6Khg5+wOWRJy7g8WjVuQiwf3RwushqikVPcwDo/2KgKjKgb41xBrmyuh6LSc+BRFOAlpsQl9CCMeCVZLQEAPSUJGiK0Yd/sjC3gh6c14mBRjDxzAUawRTUuSQCroxkGZYm7
UuLvogBaBIiviu5GmzSDBke0uhDOPMCL9AZZl7fBTrDrJd3AzDMmzOd8fqiLhPTGc9mnqweziAWo2mKOJmmKRKfJT6hVFOrNFRthIyEhQlR9/lGlCFaEjS206dNoTOSMEuAUq0mAeJDSQvCiHloPRiJpASPJvXxn1Fy6YWD
csYwB9mKoIc5yLDZyBzd4OsBEaCvGKtNlMhE3vCyL2IkT6JDHgikRDa58GAiSCJ9nIuhxV7IyLTWC+0W6XUleq9LhBSA76Cpx62AziPC6r6ItYWlIxIook2bkDkCmiA8sXtGa78esUdiajuHIGc+OejHkCJ6jgaao5aVfhHDW
Vb5RfxttcIvMIIU68C8QYS/9Si3EgFOj20iYmuauQFBT1yeCNOWUE9kIhIYrISLGMCxJER8d7GmpCmspo3rLMgPIoQdLd0mxAy0dJsR9Bkr+Vnf/YvTb+hnOke4pGUUsLEljlWRIG+zdEWc7bUTF8QcHt7MF2Ix39Oqr0Db
846pvUoE2asDXWglSvwMGgtxC8CzQhLmFe3NGkE0Bs/yFnI3upfPkCDAe/lC3KwJ9NgG2U+SwDMY6SaDenCDrIBJIPfyZVrWCayqi9mAZiPkQG4v/54l0L18KpRpKRfZHpVIS7nIrp3EGVquENNCiWotV4AbjBL1Qxjx/B
UxVtzFXE4TF/K4doSK2R/ey/96GwLjWKR1XuROgURqLx9ZLZeLhSM4Lum9LElz2Bz1JVnSykqCyAeJVoIhj9DcRUIpoXv5DA0SvJf/9foriM6PapBGMPEcRprYpN7LR65KSibHMjK5CSWZ05fuoaECExMOmWpTsdvKtLyE3
BiVPKcxLYmaJkd+n8Va5kBqc9/PODDPOFD0iSXTRfX1aXHyQrthF4KurTcNLzQ8dB2f6G7/uAIZ65S0tGyR6rb0ms8V9/G5clPafn//RDt99p3/359F8bPq+nfHeG9jcilGfzz+BtlrCfs=
and pre-beacon I use this setup (24x2 fills a red belt completely)

pre:
0eNqVldtugzAMht/F10EigR7gVaZqouB2kSBBOUyrKt59Ke3QugaGr6KQ8Nn5/Vu+wrH12Bup
HJRXkLVWFsq3K1h5VlV7++YuPUIJ0mEHDFTV3XbYYu2MrJOTN6qqEQYGUjX4BSUfDgxQOek
k3lnj5vKufHdEEy7MUxj02oYftbpFDrBEMLiEJRsG9gISBBBf4GQTp9XqnHxU4SFNIpVF48L5a1L
ZHcZjsHyCnSrrlijih8KgkSY8YDzLI8zNM9OH/MzZ6LAmR2xdhM2j7BDxUU3tXe8dRGJtqbHSf0
JJNRNpt1YpvlqoPbGSYqGQxcTqsJG+SyaT9brFWVekMRZPyRW80+iqck4OJR6Jk73CBdHsUaF
59kxxplK218Ytm/tvvjFyTu1sHlM95jS+oSWdrs6Z3IB8uXzzTtkR1UlXi7OntXbcFgVVCLHcMvM
+Fil9JMUnEiePpMAJ83KcruWvYczgE40dL2/zXGzSohDbfBi+AS8Qkec=

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm still only screwing around on my second attempt, with a base that is a mess, but even I'm learning that the solution to most problems is usually just 'get more'. Mine more ore, build more factories, lay more belts, build more drones. Forever.

Also, I've learned that the further away you go the larger the deposits get. Depending on what you've set resource richness to you could potentially find deposits in the millions that you can mine forever. Until you need more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can find deposites in the double digit millions. I hear if you go far enough, there are deposits of a trillion, but I haven't seen higher than like 20million.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i wonder if you can just pack EVERYTHING you need to kickstart a megafactory into a giant 100-400 train (no need to go in reverse!) and just drive and drive and drive as you build the track

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure. People on reddit have been discussing the possibility of bootstrapping a megafactory out of the trunk of a car.

It sounds like you're talking about having a lot more startup stuff brought with you, which is always better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Zo posted:

i wonder if you can just pack EVERYTHING you need to kickstart a megafactory into a giant 100-400 train (no need to go in reverse!) and just drive and drive and drive as you build the track

Yes you can. Big trains are awesome, especially with logistics trains mod.

I had a megaFARL that was 40 cars long. 35 of those cars were for concrete for laying down paved 4 lane rail lines.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I'm in the process of starting my first mega base. I made a rail line from the first base with a drop-off zone that I bring items too while building it. Train ride is about 5 minutes with a 2-8-2 (not efficient, I know, but it was too hard to squeeze multiple 3-8-3 bays into the old base) and the lowest resource I have is 90m (20m for uranium).

I just finished nuking biters out of an enormous area and have begun the real build. It's kind of nice to build the new base at my own pace while the original keeps feeding me buildings. I won't be able to fully module or beacon until after the new one spools up, but I'm done with non-infinite science and have no rocket setup yet so all of my current resources are feeding the new build.

I think I'm going to focus on getting modules up first in the new factory, then a rocket build, then science. End goal is my first 1RPM base. I'm almost 120 hours into this map so far. I'm looking forward to the moment I can completely remove the old base and rail line.

Nukes are great.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
EDIT: was typing while you posted and my 250k slag seems like a joke when you talk about 90m resources...

I've spaghetti'd my way to robots for my first Bobs/Angels playthrough and am thinking that now might be a good time to create a new bot-based base. I'm mainly struggling with how much space Bobs/Angels takes compared to vanilla and the required mixing of chunks to create new ores.

I have been saving all my by-products since I thought it'd be easier to use those for harder to find things like gold and uranium, and now I'm sitting on 250k slag. The prospect of moving that to a new base, even with bots, is a big deterrent to actually getting started, though. Should I even try to take it with me, or (my current plan) turn it into stuff at my original base and train it in?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Do rear facing locomotives provide any assistance to trains? I'd seen enough people use them that I started copying it but while just randomly clicking around I noticed that when pointing opposite to the direction of travel they burned no fuel. Were they just more dead weight for the other engines to pull around?

Or is that setup only useful for areas where you can't turn them around, so they 'back' out of a station?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Oodles posted:

lots of miners and lots of smelters

at that point production is the easy part, just slap down blueprints everywhere. the difficult part ends up being the logistics of moving the material from point A to point B.

my iron smelter output is 6 blue belts wide at the moment and I'm dreading having to switch over to trains

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They're dead weight when pointed backwards. It's so they can reverse direction.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah good, so I didn't waste even more time reconfiguring all the stations at the time.

Space is so abundant in this game I never considered that at one point I would be able to build a loop. The extra 5 seconds it would take to circle around the base r¥eally doesn't bother me, either.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm telling y'all, bot based factories are better in the long run. No muss no fussing with belts & much easier to scale up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Do rear facing locomotives provide any assistance to trains? I'd seen enough people use them that I started copying it but while just randomly clicking around I noticed that when pointing opposite to the direction of travel they burned no fuel. Were they just more dead weight for the other engines to pull around?

Or is that setup only useful for areas where you can't turn them around, so they 'back' out of a station?

They count as two cargo wagons of dead weight

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

I'm telling y'all, bot based factories are better in the long run. No muss no fussing with belts & much easier to scale up.

I don't like em. Trains and belts give me a sense of my factory being a mechanism which I have designed. Bots moving stuff around is just... not interesting? I use them, but mostly for small things or to quickly implement something as an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Snak posted:

I don't like em. Trains and belts give me a sense of my factory being a mechanism which I have designed. Bots moving stuff around is just... not interesting? I use them, but mostly for small things or to quickly implement something as an experiment.

I believe you play vanilla, correct? I used to be a train / belt guy with bots only used to supplement, too. And maybe as I get used to the complexities of Bobs/Angels I will get back there, but for right now, it's enough that I'm able to get recipes filled and stuff produced without having to weave belts everywhere. You're dead on that belts / trains feel more like you're designing things.