Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
No albert, no log lady

Hyper-competent-coop

Dougie Jones, international man of mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also totally dougies gonna be 'tarded lol and the only coop left i wager

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't loving wait to get the Blu Ray of this season. Hopefully there's lots of behind the scenes stuff.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How long do you think it'll be until they release the series on Blu Ray? I feel like showtime is gonna milk this because this show has been literally the only time I've thought "I should pay for showtime"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't loving wait to get the Blu Ray of this season. Hopefully there's lots of behind the scenes stuff.

I'm really interested in how those final scenes he shot with Catherine Coulson went.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Capntastic posted:

I can't stop thinking about the music cue when Cooper wakes up.

This last episode, and particularly, the restraint in holding off on the music we 'know' from the show is basically a master class of audio design and it really is heartening how David Lynch accomplishes this.

Having almost entirely abandoned the classic Twin Peaks music we have loved for years, so much of the show's overt audio styling being unsettling noise and static and heavy air bristling into your ear, especially in the last 15 hours of film within this season, Lynch truly instills a sense of warmth and familiarity into this nearly divine moment.

The nostalgic homecoming. The theme we associate most heavily with the show. Used like an emotional icepick jammed directly into our hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JY3tbsmYM

We had an entire scene centred around Laura's Theme in, what, episode 3 or 4.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would say it was the best episode but its really hard to pick in this show. In any case, it was so loving amazing. I loved every scene of it, every moment. This is really, one of the best TV series ever done, I have no doubt about it

Coops awakening was just perfect (FINALLY), and it was so satisfying because of the absurdly long wait.

Im both very excited and very sad for the finale

The tension involved with him in the coma and it getting finally relieved made me yelp and swear out loud repeatedly. I don't think I can watch this around a lot of people.

And the Diane scene had me at the edge of my seat. Any other show I know the characters are safe, but who the gently caress knows with this show.

The best show. The best.

Quick question: the first coordinate given to Booper was what Diane transmitted in the bar a few eps ago right (she got it from Bill Hastings)? The second one is from Ray as he was about to die. And the third one was Teapot Jeffries. So which ones are the fakearounds/an attempt on Booper's life? I'm guessing Ray's and Jeffries, there's been a conspicuous attempt by Mike and others to get Booper killed, and no doubt Ray is involved in that.

e:

Klungar posted:

Are we supposed to believe that Diane was telling the truth about Janey-E being her half sister? I figured that was just a lie Blooper had her tell to get the rest of the FBI crew to go to Las Vegas.

I have no doubt that Booper used her familial connection like he used the rest of her. Why track down another human when Diane was already there. I really hope they bring her back for some sort of redemption over that dick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love how the Mitchum bros just immediately gas up that plane for Dougie. That's the type of thing that would feel lame and contrived in another show but Lynch somehow makes it both funny and endearing.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 30, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so wait, ray was a good guy?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I laughed pretty hard when it cut to Dougie in a coma

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baloogan posted:

Sort of. He was working with (allegedly) Jeffries, and his plan was to put the ring on Booper after blasting him on the side of the road, but the darkness hobos intervened before he could do it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Sort of. He was working with (allegedly) Jeffries, and his plan was to put the ring on Booper after blasting him on the side of the road, but the darkness hobos intervened before he could do it.

This all seems a bit sketchy to me - Jeffries' involvement, that is. All he says is, "I called Ray."

Also, didn't someone say they pitch-altered the voice that called Bad Coop in episode 2 and said "Bob will be back with me" and such, and it turned out to be Sarah Palmer's voice? Was there any truth to that?

Because I would find that extremely interested, if Sarah Palmer (or whatever is in her) somehow has its own agenda and intentions that we are barely aware of. Could perhaps be Jeffries is more of a red herring than we thought? I always figured Major Briggs to be more important. Oh well.

I know we have 2 hours (maybe more? maybe the final episode will be an hour and a half like GoT?) to go, but it just seems like there are still so many threads and character arcs. You've got an entire set of real life characters to sorta deal with: The Coops, The Mitchums, Janey-E and Sonny Gym, Everyone locked up at the sherrif's station - Naido, James, Freddie, Chad, Drunk Guy... You've got Sarah Palmer of course, Audrey and Charlie, you've got Ben Horne, his assistant, and the ringing in the basement of the great northern, Jerry wandering still, Norma and Ed seem OK so thats all wrapped up but you have what happened to Becky, and Shellie and Bobby and Gersten and Steven's death.

But then you have all the more mysterious characters left to deal with like MIKE and BOB and The Fireman and his female companion whose name I cannot recall, and the Evolution of the Arm and his doppleganger and The Model/Experimental Model, and of course the dead characters appearing in the lodge like Laura and Leland...

I'm not saying Lynch needs to explain this stuff (and much more) or revisit ALL these characters and ideas. I'm more saying that I'm hoping he will contexualize them. Somehow bring them into focus in a manner somewhat similar to how Episode 8 brought certain aspects into focus while giving us more to think about.

I hope my expectations aren't too high.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seriously wonder if we're gonna get any more Ray Wise at all. Would be sad if that like 5 second scene was his only appearance.

Also hahaha @ "Sonny Gym"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ginette Reno posted:

I love how the Mitchum bros just immediately gas up that plane for Dougie. That's the type of thing that would feel lame and contrived in another show but Lynch somehow makes it both funny and endearing.

hearts of gold

kaworu posted:

This all seems a bit sketchy to me - Jeffries' involvement, that is. All he says is, "I called Ray."

Also, didn't someone say they pitch-altered the voice that called Bad Coop in episode 2 and said "Bob will be back with me" and such, and it turned out to be Sarah Palmer's voice? Was there any truth to that?

Because I would find that extremely interested, if Sarah Palmer (or whatever is in her) somehow has its own agenda and intentions that we are barely aware of. Could perhaps be Jeffries is more of a red herring than we thought? I always figured Major Briggs to be more important. Oh well.

I know we have 2 hours (maybe more? maybe the final episode will be an hour and a half like GoT?) to go, but it just seems like there are still so many threads and character arcs. You've got an entire set of real life characters to sorta deal with: The Coops, The Mitchums, Janey-E and Sonny Gym, Everyone locked up at the sherrif's station - Naido, James, Freddie, Chad, Drunk Guy... You've got Sarah Palmer of course, Audrey and Charlie, you've got Ben Horne, his assistant, and the ringing in the basement of the great northern, Jerry wandering still, Norma and Ed seem OK so thats all wrapped up but you have what happened to Becky, and Shellie and Bobby and Gersten and Steven's death.

But then you have all the more mysterious characters left to deal with like MIKE and BOB and The Fireman and his female companion whose name I cannot recall, and the Evolution of the Arm and his doppleganger and The Model/Experimental Model, and of course the dead characters appearing in the lodge like Laura and Leland...

I'm not saying Lynch needs to explain this stuff (and much more) or revisit ALL these characters and ideas. I'm more saying that I'm hoping he will contexualize them. Somehow bring them into focus in a manner somewhat similar to how Episode 8 brought certain aspects into focus while giving us more to think about.

I dont suppose they will explain all of this, but I really hope they are going to surprise us with a hooks to S4, which will be announced right after the finale

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

kaworu posted:

they voice said "i missed you in new york" which would imply, if the voice does turn out to be sarah, that sarah is the thing in the box too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Quick question: the first coordinate given to Booper was what Diane transmitted in the bar a few eps ago right (she got it from Bill Hastings)? The second one is from Ray as he was about to die. And the third one was Teapot Jeffries. So which ones are the fakearounds/an attempt on Booper's life? I'm guessing Ray's and Jeffries, there's been a conspicuous attempt by Mike and others to get Booper killed, and no doubt Ray is involved in that.

Not a quick question. The short answer is that we don't quite know yet. The logical answer is that Ray and Jeffries were working together and gave the matching trap coordinates but there's a lot that could contradict that. We never actually saw Diane send any coordinates until this last episode, when she only sends them after recieving the :) ALL message. When she sends she says 'I hope this works' as if it was the trap. But that scene takes place *after* the trap coordinates are visited. Diane sending trap coordinates there isn't the only possible explanation, and even that explanation only raises more questions (how did she get a matching trap coordinate?))

And of course if Jeffries is actually working against coop that means he was lying in their meeting which complicates other thing even further.

There could still be a fourth coordinate source we still don't know about. It's confusing and I'm not sure we'll ever get a clear answer.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 30, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

I seriously wonder if we're gonna get any more Ray Wise at all. Would be sad if that like 5 second scene was his only appearance.

Also hahaha @ "Sonny Gym"

every boy needs a jim set

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
anyone else never hear it referred to as a "gym set" until this show? i've always known them as jungle gyms but that could just because im a coastal elite

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Two comprehension questions for this last episode:

Was this episode the first time the word "tulpa" has been used to refer to the dopplegangers? I didn't read Secret History yet.

Is the fight that breaks out during Audrey's Dance definitely between two characters other than James and that girl's husband? My first read of this scene was that it was an example of the Roadhouse acting as a nexus between realities, as suggested in the first 3rd of season 2--so Aubrey was witnessing some crossover between her reality and James's. But from reading posts in here it seems that it was a different fight? Is that actually 100% clear on a rewatch?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eshock posted:

Was this episode the first time the word "tulpa" has been used to refer to the dopplegangers? I didn't read Secret History yet.

Is the fight that breaks out during Audrey's Dance definitely between two characters other than James and that girl's husband? My first read of this scene was that it was an example of the Roadhouse acting as a nexus between realities, as suggested in the first 3rd of season 2--so Aubrey was witnessing some crossover between her reality and James's. But from reading posts in here it seems that it was a different fight? Is that actually 100% clear on a rewatch?

Tulpas and doppelgangers aren't the same thing - one is your shadow self, the dweller on the threshhold, guardians of the black lodge. tulpas are manufactured entities, like golems kinda

edit: doppelgangers seem to have a lot more agency than tulpas

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 30, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
First time "tulpa" is mentioned were in episode 15, I guess, when Albert is explaining to Tammy the blue rose case

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/902934117259526150

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

eshock posted:

Tammy mentions the term when she's told about the old blue rose case.

Not sure of the answer to the second question- I've seen people say that you can hear different names being spoken in the audio of Audrey's seen compared to who was there in the James scene, but I'm not convinced it's not the same scene and she's just got a filter that's altering her perception so she can't quite recognize familiar things.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
About the roadhouse, Im convinced that there is the real Roadhouse, as seen on James scenes, for ex. And there is the dream roadhouse, seen in the Audrey scene and other scenes with unknow characters. I hope that will be somehow addressed in the finale

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Origami Dali posted:

When Cole goes back to Twin Peaks, he's def gonna bang Shelly this time.

SHELLY? I'D LIKE TO GIVE YOU THE OL' PICKLE TICKLE, IF THAT'S ALRIGHT, MY DEAR?

*gestures about having sex*

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Escobarbarian posted:

It's unlikely there'll be another one, but it isn't yet confirmed that there won't be. The official word is that talks between Showtime and Lynch will begin after the whole season has aired, but realistically I don't think it's been anywhere near as much of a hit as they would like.

From what I understood it's been the most successful show in Showtime's history due to streaming numbers and signups for their own proprietary streaming service. They're making more money off of it than any of their other shows, I could have sworn I read somewhere. It's only tanking in live TV ratings which haven't really mattered for years.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Elias_Maluco posted:

About the roadhouse, Im convinced that there is the real Roadhouse, as seen on James scenes, for ex. And there is the dream roadhouse, seen in the Audrey scene and other scenes with unknow characters. I hope that will be somehow addressed in the finale

Yeah we may have been seeing the dream roadhouse in a couple other scenes. The one with Sky Ferreira and her terrible rash come to mind.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Some people were thinking the Renault brother being there would indicate the real roadhouse, but doesn't a third, never before mentioned Renault that looks exactly like the dead Jacques kind of indicate that it's the opposite?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

moist turtleneck posted:

How long do you think it'll be until they release the series on Blu Ray? I feel like showtime is gonna milk this because this show has been literally the only time I've thought "I should pay for showtime"

Hopefully soon. I really want to binge the whole season again

Plus we don't even get Showtime here

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
real glad you came around on dougie, twocups.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Some people were thinking the Renault brother being there would indicate the real roadhouse, but doesn't a third, never before mentioned Renault that looks exactly like the dead Jacques kind of indicate that it's the opposite?

Twin Peaks has always been so... Highly stylized and bizarrely self-aware that it really and truly can be difficult to tell when it's being ironic, sincere, neither, or both.

That's probably what makes the "Audrey's Dance" scene so wonderfully uncomfortable yet perfect, at least for me. I am left sitting there and watching, wondering whether this is self-aware post-modernism of some sort, or a sort of ironic campiness, or pure aesthetics with no rhyme or reason, or if it's meant to resonate on a symbolic level... And the oboes are swelling louder and louder as I'm thinking this and Audrey's dancing is turning downright hypnotic and I hit upon it: experiential, this is meant to be entirely ephemeral and experiential and it's meant for me to think these exact thoughts. And then it abruptly ends and reality just *zap* plugs right back in.

Just like waking up from a long, vivid dream.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Martman posted:

Goons might do well to imitate this redditor.

it kind of depresses me that people define their lives by the media they consume to this extent, but good on this dude for being happy i guess

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Baloogan posted:

He happened to be working with the good guys but he was probably still just a mercenary criminal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ballz posted:

Candie's body language here is very touching. She clearly has major anxiety issues and upon hearing someone else confirm her belief that the Mitchum Brothers have good hearts, it's a cathartic moment of sorts for her. She's not crazy or airheaded or anything like that (although I'm willing to concede she may have a touch of the :spergin: ). Her love and loyalty is validated and re-enforced, which is something that had been deeply shaken following the incident with the remote.

It's a great, subtle performance her actress gives. My wife was the one to point it out to me, as she has the exact same body movement tic when dealing with her own anxiety.

Less substantial but more hilarious, Jim Belushi drinking his Bloody Mary.

We need a gif.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

it kind of depresses me that people define their lives by the media they consume to this extent, but good on this dude for being happy i guess

People are under a lot of stress, Tolkien.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, something occurred to me, and I really hope it's not gonna set people off, but I want to discuss it anyway. :shobon:

Ages ago, there was an article about how Diane dresses and how she decorates her room in an "oriental" fashion. The author was basically laughed at because the article was all like: "this is a problematic problem". I think there's something to it, though. Let's look at the images in question, and let's also add Diane's latest dress:

I've been reading some of Kate Chopin's short stories. One of them, An Egyptian Cigarette, reminded me of Diane. It's about a woman who trips out on some dank Egyptian cigarettes and dreams of an abusive lover who is described like this: "He smiled and showed his cruel white teeth as he turned to look at me crouching here." So, the story has got at least some similar imagery to Diane's description of her rape.

There is an article about this short story that notes:

Sara deSaussure Davis posted:

The “Egyptian" of the title euphemistically and exotically denies a not uncommon American phenomenon of Chopin’s day. Nineteenth-century American distilleries often added opium derivatives to their products to induce addiction and additional sales. The products included soda-fountain drinks, tonics of all sorts, whiskies, and cigarettes. […] In fact, opophagia, or opium eating, was a major if untalked about medical and social problem in Chopin’s day. […] Commenting on the high percentage of women addicts, Haller and Haller quote one contemporary physician who said the cause of their addiction was "their lives—doomed, often to a life of disappointment, and, it may be, of physical and mental inaction."

So, I think Diane is coded "oriental" on purpose. She drowns her suffering in alcohol and cigarettes because she feels trapped. By wearing these old fashioned "problematic" clothes, Diane becomes similar to the woman in the short story who sees glimpses of a different life when she smokes her cigarettes. Diane's clothes are drawing a parallel to the 19th century and a history of a male society trapping women in hopeless situations. It indicates that this is not only a current issue, but one that's existed for centuries. Back then it was opium, now it's Chinese designer drugs.

It goes back to episode 8 and the detonation of the nuclear bomb, the source of evil, slowly spreading outwards. This current season is depicting people still dealing with issues that started a long time ago. In some cases, they are maybe 25 years old (like Big Ed and Nadine or Cooper and his doppelganger), but the violence against women that we see over and over again in this show is ancient. Becky gets (presumably) killed by her abusive junky boyfriend. Richard Horne threatens and beats defenseless women into submission. Even Audrey's dream husband keeps her in control through some sort of contract.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jerusalem posted:

I think I've rewatched,"I AM the FBI" at least a dozen times now :swoon:

Hell yeah! This season has been incredible all around, and this episode was a major slam dunk. Everything about how they handled this was terrific. The two part finale on Sunday will be one of the best movies of the century. And this season is the best 18 hour movie ever.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Vikar Jerome posted:

real glad you came around on dougie, twocups.

I think on a rewatch I will definitely appreciate him more. Especially now Coop is back

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just had a disturbing thought. The tulpas have golden orbs in their chests, right? Coop said the Mitchum brothers have hearts of gold. What if... he was being literal? :magical::ohdear::stonk:

...! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Not a quick question. The short answer is that we don't quite know yet. The logical answer is that Ray and Jeffries were working together and gave the matching trap coordinates but there's a lot that could contradict that. We never actually saw Diane send any coordinates until this last episode, when she only sends them after recieving the :) ALL message. When she sends she says 'I hope this works' as if it was the trap. But that scene takes place *after* the trap coordinates are visited. Diane sending trap coordinates there isn't the only possible explanation, and even that explanation only raises more questions (how did she get a matching trap coordinate?))

And of course if Jeffries is actually working against coop that means he was lying in their meeting which complicates other thing even further.

There could still be a fourth coordinate source we still don't know about. It's confusing and I'm not sure we'll ever get a clear answer.

In that scene where Diane uses the coordinates to find that it is in Twin Peaks, and Booper texts her about Las Vegas (am I conflating two eps?), didn't she send him the coordinates then? I'm not sure.