Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fargo pulled it off nicely, and I don't doubt MacLachlan is capable of it, but it would kind of be more Lynch's Twin Peaks style to do it in a series of back-and-forth cuts and heavily processed overlays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bad Coop seems to love to stick the middle finger to people so I read everything he does as that. He doesn't seem to in as much control as he plays out be. He's really just fumbling through everything. He got real lucky his son followed him so he had a pig to use. Got lucky Ray is an idiot twice. Bad luck with his assassins. Bad luck with Diane. Phillip worked him. But what I wanna know is what the gently caress is he looking for or what does he want? He knows Coop is back but he doesn't know he's what he's doing or where he's at. He doesn't communicate with any black lodge people or anything. So what is he looking for? Is BOB still there in him?

RBX fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 29, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm watching the episode now.

Anyone notice the scarab on the slot machine while Coop walks away?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love when Belushi just explains Coop's new assurance as "side effects" and snaps his fingers like he's totally figured it out

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

el oso posted:

Top 15 new characters this year:

15. Tammy
14. Rookie cop who wants Frank Truman to see his car
13. Freddie
12. Creepy woman outside of Jeffries' hotel room
11. Road House MC
10. Polish Accountant
9. Bill Hastings
8. FBI guy who yells at WILSON!!!
7. Gotta Light Woodsman
6. Candie
5. Janey-E
4. Chantal & Hutch
3. Diane
2. Super Mitchum Bros
1. Wally Brando

For the most part I can get on board except I'd bump up Tammy and replace a couple of the low-end folks with Ike "The Spike" and "Battling Bud" Bushnell.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

RBX posted:

Bad Coop seems to love to stick the middle finger to people so I read everything he does as that. He doesn't seem to in as much control as he plays out be. He's really just fumbling through everything. He got real lucky his son followed him so he had a pig to use. Got lucky Ray is an idiot twice. Bad luck with his assassins. Bad luck with Diane. Phillip worked him. But what I wanna know is what the gently caress is he looking for or what does he want? He knows Coop is back but he doesn't know he's what he's doing or where he's at. He doesn't communicate with any black lodge people or anything. So what is he looking for? Is BOB still there in him?

Very early on in the first or second episode, he pointedly tells Ray that he doesn't "need" things, he "wants" things. Later he shows the playing card with the symbol of The Mother drawn on it, and before killing Darya explains to her that this is what he wants with more passion in his voice than anything else he's really said since.

But that also doesn't exactly explain why Bad Coop 'wants' that, or what his intentions are for it. We don't even know if that's something DoppelCoop wants, or something BOB wants, or both.

In fact, where Bad Coop ends and Bob begins in that character is something I'm pretty drat curious about, at this point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RBX posted:

He ended up getting co-ordinates to the sherriff's station (I think?) so he may be after Naido?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they're likely the sheriff's station or the place near Jackrabbit's Palace where they found Naido.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
That list ain't no list worth a gently caress unless Constance is on it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

eSporks posted:

Diane is in the sherrif's station, she is not her. Who else in the sherrif's station has white hair?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Modrasone posted:

That list ain't no list worth a gently caress unless Constance is on it.

Man I miss Constance.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would say it was the best episode but its really hard to pick in this show. In any case, it was so loving amazing. I loved every scene of it, every moment. This is really, one of the best TV series ever done, I have no doubt about it

Coops awakening was just perfect (FINALLY), and it was so satisfying because of the absurdly long wait.

Im both very excited and very sad for the finale

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

el oso posted:

Top 15 new characters this year:

15. Tammy
14. Rookie cop who wants Frank Truman to see his car
13. Freddie
12. Creepy woman outside of Jeffries' hotel room
11. Road House MC
10. Polish Accountant
9. Bill Hastings
8. FBI guy who yells at WILSON!!!
7. Gotta Light Woodsman
6. Candie
5. Janey-E
4. Chantal & Hutch
3. Diane
2. Super Mitchum Bros
1. Wally Brando

where's the puking child

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
After the finale Im going to rewatch this show until my eyes melt

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

it's not about naido...

... IS it about naido?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are we supposed to believe that Diane was telling the truth about Janey-E being her half sister? I figured that was just a lie Blooper had her tell to get the rest of the FBI crew to go to Las Vegas.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
maybe janey-e is another tulpa

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope season 4 never happens so I don't need to deal with 18 episodes of WHO IS A TUPLPA thinkpieces

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think I've rewatched,"I AM the FBI" at least a dozen times now :swoon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I hope season 4 never happens so I don't need to deal with 18 episodes of WHO IS A TUPLPA thinkpieces

I'm just glad that the show isn't that popular so I won't have to hear everyone using "tulpa" over and over again for the next 3 years.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just glad we got another Lynch project at all. I still wish it had been a little more popular but as someone who's been skeptical about this current era of American television The Return has been one of the only shows I've seen that feels truly unique and daring to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm just glad that the show isn't that popular so I won't have to hear everyone using "tulpa" over and over again for the next 3 years.

"Cylon" wasn't much better

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What's the consensus of the Laura orb the Fireman created being her "seed"? I'm wondering what the chances of a Laura tulpa being created in the last two episodes are. Or maybe Laura already was one, which would explain her "I look like Laura, don't I?" talk in the Lodge.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Solice Kirsk posted:

You mean you haven't already?

Also, I mean... guys, I love this show, but christ, those Diane effects... :stare:

Can't wait for White Lodge vs Black Lodge Super Dupe-r Cooper Showdown 2017, 25 years in the making :toot:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Jerusalem posted:

I think I've rewatched,"I AM the FBI" at least a dozen times now :swoon:

It's the corniest god drat scene but I loved it so much. The pace of the hospital scenes once coop came to were staggering.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I mean... guys, I love this show, but christ, those Diane effects... :stare:

This didn't really bother me. Both her and Dougie's "death" in the red room are VERY evocative of early Lynch effects. Like those short films he did in the 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if he did some of the effects in this by himself.

There has been plenty of CGI that seems unintentionally bad though. Like the gunshot wound a couple episodes ago, and the headless body in the first episodes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Showtime is just waiting for Lynch to die so they can make 3 peaks with the younger actors

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What if Diane is actually Chad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wally brando is definitely a tulpa

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love the effects. They remind me of terry gilliam cartoons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Walrus posted:

I love the effects. They remind me of terry gilliam cartoons.

I think they just work, they fit perfectly with the twin peaks theme. Somewhat cheezy, but also unsettling, eerie, disturbing

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

wa27 posted:

There has been plenty of CGI that seems unintentionally bad though. Like the gunshot wound a couple episodes ago, and the headless body in the first episodes.

They're absolutely intentional. They look more like sculpture art than people, which adds this feeling of unease and horror at what's being seen. In fact, pretty much every corpse in the show has been like this.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

wa27 posted:

This didn't really bother me. Both her and Dougie's "death" in the red room are VERY evocative of early Lynch effects. Like those short films he did in the 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if he did some of the effects in this by himself.

Dougie's death kind of primed me for Diane folding in on herself like paper. I thought it was really unsettling how she cracks her jaw and starts making rattlesnake noises.

It's like a (more) unnerving version of a Peter Gabriel music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt87bLX7m_o

btw, thematically appropriate.

edit: Just realised that was the wrong video. Probably doesn't matter anymore. :shrug:

And More fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 1, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it looked like something was going to come out the screen, twin peaks being a cursed video would be awesome

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The crappy looking homebrew/Sci Fi Original Movie effects just yank me out of the show and say "well that looks dumb". I don't think they have the intended effect on me.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
That guy in the bar at the end sounds a lot like the singer of peral jam

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Yeah but that guy is Eddie Vedder, this dude is Edward Louis Severson. Totally distinct

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

This is the dumbest fan theory so far, and that's really saying a lot.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

doppelganger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

The crappy looking homebrew/Sci Fi Original Movie effects just yank me out of the show and say "well that looks dumb". I don't think they have the intended effect on me.

I think it's charming. Just old David Lynch sitting in front of his old computer and slowly photoshopping the pattern on Diane's dress so it wiggles back and forth, and then he adds in the rattlesnake sound and goes: "THAT'LL SCARE THE DICKENS OUT OF 'EM."