Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

BSS has a whole subforum, we're limited to a few small threads.

Face it folks, we're the weird ones here.

Aren't webcomic threads like half the subforum though? It's not exactly a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

haha you think the guy who couldn't recognize a Kate Beaton comic and got really mad about one posted in the funny panels thread

Wait what.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Nuns with Guns posted:

haha you think the guy who couldn't recognize a Kate Beaton comic and got really mad about one posted in the funny panels thread pays any attention to these webcomic discussions

Oh link that poo poo.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Decided to get caught up on Astral Aves after not reading for like a year or so.

Is it me or does Astra look really tired recently? I think I understand the look the Author's going for (Making her more and more like her dad) but it just makes her look like she really needs a nap.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

Oh link that poo poo.

This is where it starts.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

BSS has a whole subforum, we're limited to a few small threads.

Face it folks, we're the weird ones here.
we are ugly, but we have the music

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahahaha :allears:

To be entirely fair, that was Poe's Law in full effect.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It's extremely cool and good that the moderator that replaced Waterhaul doesn't care for half the threads in the forum he moderates, by his own admission.

E: Or was that someone else? It's been years since I've seen a mod post in any webcomic thread I follow, it's honestly a good thing that these threads are petty self-sufficient anyway

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 25, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Mods No Masters

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wrist Watch posted:

It's extremely cool and good that the moderator that replaced Waterhaul doesn't care for half the threads in the forum he moderates, by his own admission.

E: Or was that someone else? It's been years since I've seen a mod post in any webcomic thread I follow, it's honestly a good thing that these threads are petty self-sufficient anyway

I follow this and the K6BD thread, but I have no power here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wrist Watch posted:

Waterhaul was the last BSS mod. The webcomic threads had a lot more drama back then, but he also made a Brawl in the Family thread, too. Hermanos was before that. He had some weird thing against starting new threads?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

khy posted:

Decided to get caught up on Astral Aves after not reading for like a year or so.

Is it me or does Astra look really tired recently? I think I understand the look the Author's going for (Making her more and more like her dad) but it just makes her look like she really needs a nap.

Well she did get stabbed in the most recently times.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wrist Watch posted:

There has never been a BSS mod who made the non-genchat webcomics threads not inevitably trend towards discussion of loving the underage cartoon characters

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: Wrong thread

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If only Bolt Vanderhuge were still here...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

internet please stop eroticising horse asses

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
QC having guest artists is like going to a dive bar to watch a cover band play and they end up being a million times better than the original band.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

QC having guest artists is like going to a dive bar to watch a cover band play and they end up being a million times better than the original band.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Still Hastings' finest work...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that the bully pulpit time machine or just something he made up?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The latest arc of Wilde Life has been really good. Pretty stunning artwork, and a lot of nice quiet character moments among the weird supernatural stuff. Also the ghost lady is pining super hard for the protagonist and it's sad for her.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

:popeye:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh I can't wait for this terrible idea to implode thanks in no small part to Thunt being generally poo poo. Seriously, Phil LaMarr? How did he get Phil LaMarr involved in this madness?

I would legitimately watch that Homestuck animated series that's stuck in development hell before I ever watched this literal horror show in the making :barf:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Daughter of the Lilies continues to do really dang clever stuff with panel construction. Check out the use of zoom in panel three here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh I can't wait for this terrible idea to implode thanks in no small part to Thunt being generally poo poo. Seriously, Phil LaMarr? How did he get Phil LaMarr involved in this madness?

Because Phil LaMarr has 385 credited titles on his IMDB page. He's' a working actor (And based on this Reddit AMA, he's glad for it.)

Do you think the dude is going to turn down a couple of car payments to stay in the booth for another 3 or 4 hours one afternoon and lay down some crappy webisode dialogue?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Because Phil LaMarr has 385 credited titles on his IMDB page. He's' a working actor (And based on this Reddit AMA, he's glad for it.)

Do you think the dude is going to turn down a couple of car payments to stay in the booth for another 3 or 4 hours one afternoon and lay down some crappy webisode dialogue?

Oh, I know, and I don't begrudge him any of that. I'm just saying this is one weirdass longshot production to hitch yourself too as a writer and producer, no less.

Hell, if there's anyone who could make it work, it'd be Phil LaMarr, it's just that from the sound of it this is still Thunt's baby, and Tarol Hunt is kinda gobsmackingly incompetent, so I don't see this thing having much of a future.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I've learned about voice actors from watching/reading stuff about the industry, it's that they don't get paid enough to afford the luxury of turning down roles. See also: Steve Blum in that awful LICD pilot webtoon.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

TwoPair posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about voice actors from watching/reading stuff about the industry, it's that they don't get paid enough to afford the luxury of turning down roles. See also: Steve Blum in that awful LICD pilot webtoon.

God, what a downer. :smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean Frank Welker is a million years old and is probably the most storied voice actor ever and has voiced A LOT of incredibly popular and famous characters but dude will still show up to audition for the role of "five cats in a trashcan #2"

EDIT: And he'll get it because nobody makes noises like Frank Welker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

I mean Frank Welker is a million years old and is probably the most storied voice actor ever and has voiced A LOT of incredibly popular and famous characters but dude will still show up to audition for the role of "five cats in a trashcan #2"

EDIT: And he'll get it because nobody makes noises like Frank Welker

Please stop talking about how old Frank Welker is

Please

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
In other webcomics news, Sluggy Freelance is officially no longer a daily webcomic. (even a weekdaily one)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
whoa sluggy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

In other webcomics news, Sluggy Freelance is officially no longer a daily webcomic. (even a weekdaily one)
Honestly, I'm surprised it's still a webcomic.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RIP Poppy. I guess I need something to fill that void in my webcomic list.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nuebot posted:

RIP Poppy. I guess I need something to fill that void in my webcomic list.
Hopefully, it'll make the jump to webnovel better than Erfworld did. (Though I suspect the problems with Erfworld have very little to do with its medium.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm sceptical, but if he can stick to a single storyline and uses prose to actually accelerate wordsy chunks of story then it could be alright.

Erfworld's trouble was it would get halfway through a fairly interesting prose story and then go "wait, poo poo, I want to tell you more about this character's background". Also that it did this like three times in a row (before I finally dropped it in frustration), so the story seemed to be forever going backwards rather than forwards.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Poppy's always been pretty good at peppering in backstory details without hitting you over the head with them in its old medium, at least, like the fact that Hallia is trans. I doubt that'll be a problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That one slipped by me!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Renaissance Robot posted:

That one slipped by me!

During the dragon chapter, she acts embarrassed and sheepish when the teacher explains about bird plumage and how it's reflected in physical sex by female birds often being duller and browner than males, and at one of the royal parties she spends her time ranting about how she tried and failed to get together with Valente, during which time she went by Milo, with the implication being that he turned her down because he's gay and she'd just come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm sceptical, but if he can stick to a single storyline and uses prose to actually accelerate wordsy chunks of story then it could be alright.

Erfworld's trouble was it would get halfway through a fairly interesting prose story and then go "wait, poo poo, I want to tell you more about this character's background". Also that it did this like three times in a row (before I finally dropped it in frustration), so the story seemed to be forever going backwards rather than forwards.

As a writer, it's extremely tempting to want to go "ohhh, pleeeease let me tell you about this character's history" because, of course, you've spent so much time thinking about it. I think it'll be more interesting to just stick to the plot-related bits and then potentially expand on the rest later in dedicated side stories.

On a related note, a lot of people mentioned Erfworld to me ever since I announced the format change, but I kind of intentionally avoided looking at it for cues because it lost my interest long before it started doing text updates regularly.

• Locked thread