Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I also made this purchase because I've never owned a SNES and the SFC was less expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Breadallelogram posted:

I also made this purchase because I've never owned a SNES and the SFC was less expensive.

a good choice. also for the few snes games where you really need to read, you can just take apart a super famicom cart and swap the boards. it's what i do when i want to play any of the snes games i have since my snes is not with me right now.

my actual long-term goal involves learning japanese, which i start this fall. gonna take 6 quarters of it in college, prolly keep going afterward as well.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I managed to do most of my collecting when things were still sorta reasonable (2003-2009), but yeah, the SNES market is absolutely bonkers these days. It's at the point where bootleg repro carts are a somewhat viable option if you don't particularly care about authenticity. Even SFC games are starting to show a little turn-up.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Caitlin posted:

uh you got a link to that second adapter?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/XBER...2-01882-YvbiUF2

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/6nvgse/psa_microsd_adapters_where_to_buy_how_to_build/

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

1redflag posted:

I'm playing though final fantasy III (aka FF6, the one with Terra, Sabin, etc.) For the first time. Fun game, but I stepped away for a few weeks and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Guess I'll just have to find a walkthrough and find my place and the start on the next questline or whatever. Like, I hate the extent to which many modern games hold your hand, but there is definitely a middle ground to be struck here.

E. Awesome; thanks! I'll check when I get home from work, but I feel like I was just about to get access to the espers (I had just finished the "split into three groups" section where you have bannon in the 3person group, but will provide more specifics later).

Once you finish the three-groups segment, you'll fight a huge battle in Narshe. After that, you should head south to Figaro and tell the castle-transport guy to go to Kohlingen. When the castle re-surfaces, you'll be on the other side of the mountains, with three towns and the opera house (which won't be open yet, if I remember right) to explore. The next big event is in the largest building in Zozo, the town full of thieves and liars and rain.

Check to see if Terra is still in your party. If she isn't, you probably fought the battle in Narshe already.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The SNES market is why I have 11 games for it and 6 are SFC games, with almost none of the flagship titles for it (no Marios, Metroid, Megamans, Final Fantasy etc). I wouldn't have the system at all if I didn't stumble into one for $24 in a thrift store. I also don't bother looking at the SNES games in a game shop anymore.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

The SNES market is why I have 11 games for it and 6 are SFC games, with almost none of the flagship titles for it (no Marios, Metroid, Megamans, Final Fantasy etc). I wouldn't have the system at all if I didn't stumble into one for $24 in a thrift store. I also don't bother looking at the SNES games in a game shop anymore.

Is there any reason no one mentions flash carts for SNES? I mean the SD2SNES is a great choice to play most of the classics, cult hits, and poo poo that is more expensive than it's worth, all on original hardware.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Most people in this thread probably already own some form of flash cart for the SNES.

I should get one, since I sold most of my SNES games last year since they were going for a ton.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

XtraSmiley posted:

Is there any reason no one mentions flash carts for SNES? I mean the SD2SNES is a great choice to play most of the classics, cult hits, and poo poo that is more expensive than it's worth, all on original hardware.

A lot of the flash carts still lack support for many wanted and expensive games due to the enhancement chips (though that compatibility continues to get better over time). Plus a lot of people already got an earlier SNES flashcart that didn't support a certain chip even though modern ones do - like for instance Megaman X2 and X3 are supported with the CX4 emulation on the SD2SNES and most other recent carts, but not the older SNES PowerPak.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The SNES market is why I dropped $80 on an Everdrive² :v:

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

MrLonghair posted:

The SNES market is why I dropped $80 on an Everdrive² :v:

Nice. I haven't done either yet, but during the annual Black Friday (TM) sale, I'll likely get one. Leaning toward the SD2SNES, but I have many of the special chip games that I want (although they are the SFC ones mostly), so maybe not. What are your thoughts on the ED?

The new sound capabilities of the SD2SNES seems interesting, but I don't know if I would play with the upgraded music, as the chip tunes are what I really love being retro and all.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/903024858996514816

Seems... pricey

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I know we all know this, but prices for all 8/16 bit cart based consoles are high. Most games are still less than their original MSRP though, even with inflation.

Hell some games cost wayyyy less. Street fighter 2 was insanely expensive new, Virtua Racing on Genesis was $100 new, tons of Genesis sports games you wouldn't buy for $2cib now were like $80 new.

Edit ^ that's cheaper than new when adjusted for inflation?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It also has a disclaimer that it might light your SNES on fire

So uh are they admitting they got the cheapest available capacitors or what

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

I for one never operate my vintage electronics without multiple fire extinguishers around.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

An 100 dollar repro of a 10 dollar game that catches fire might be the ultimate epitome of :retrogames:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

It also has a disclaimer that it might light your SNES on fire

So uh are they admitting they got the cheapest available capacitors or what

That took me a while to realize they were being completely serious.

My best guess is that it's your standard-issue liability clause because the product's existence is a tacit encouragement to plug in consumer-grade cheap electronics that, best-case scenario, will still be well over 20 years old with a non-zero chance of bad things having happened to it with age.

$100 is certainly steep when I got a CIB copy of World Warrior on Super Famicom for 300...yen.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Elliotw2 posted:

Most people in this thread probably already own some form of flash cart for the SNES.

I should get one, since I sold most of my SNES games last year since they were going for a ton.

I don’t have one yet (my retro systems aren’t hooked up due to a lack of space, and I have most of what I want to play on cartridge already), but somewhere I have an old Professor SFII (I think - one of the floppy based backup units). That was always fun to get working, I had to convert ROMs to some specific format, split into sizes that fit on floppy disks.

I had a Z64 as well - I had to replace the Zip drive at one point due to the click of death. And it wiped out the 100% save on my Smash Brothers cart when I had to use it to boot something else.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've never heard of a Z64 before, but it sounds like the pinnacle of 90's technology.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shyduck posted:

An 100 dollar repro of a 10 dollar game that catches fire might be the ultimate epitome of :retrogames:

Can't forget that limited edition of 5500 units!

Looking at Ebay right now, it's quite possible to pick up CIB US versions of Street Fighter II for about $30. So $100 for some slapdash hackjob in a garish red cartridge is just a :psyduck: price to me. Especially since it's a very niche product and I have my doubts that the cartridges are made to the same spec as they were in the early 1990s, when it was kind of important to have good build quality.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Turbinosamente posted:

i mean smw is still cheap as is super mario kart and they are both fuckin rad, you should really just pick them up

i also recommend smrpg even though it's pricier but i'm biased 'cause it's my favorite game ever

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WTF!? Does anyone have one of these to confirm it works? :eyepop:

Edit: Oh, you have to have a hacked Vita.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I have no idea if they do but I just ordered it from amazon for like 2.99. I also ordered the other Mchoice SD2VITA PSVSD for like 6.99.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

financially racist posted:

i mean smw is still cheap as is super mario kart and they are both fuckin rad, you should really just pick them up

i also recommend smrpg even though it's pricier but i'm biased 'cause it's my favorite game ever

Played way too much SMW on the GBA release, to the point that I cannot adjust back to the SNES controls very well at all. It was the first game I owned, after all. As for Super Mario Kart I got to try it last weekend and like every other mode 7 racing game I suck terribly at it and didn't improve at all while playing. It's because of this I bought the SFC racing game for noobs, Astro Go! Go! I stand a chance of progressing in it.

And I kinda forgot about Super Mario RPG because I have so many other RPGs across other systems I haven't played (like Chrono Trigger on DS). This is part of my excuse for not having a flash cart, I already have too many physical games and not enough time, paralysis of choice etc etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Konami Krazy Racers for the GBA is the best mode-7-style kart racer ever.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

fishmech posted:

Konami Krazy Racers for the GBA is the best mode-7-style kart racer ever.

If I could ever find a copy. I have Digimon Racing and what ever the GBA F-Zero is, and I've tried SNES F-Zero and now Super Mario Kart. I think the problem is I keep trying to take the turns Mario Kart 64 style and that definitely does not go well in a mode 7 racer, especially with F-Zero's love of hair pin turns.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

If I could ever find a copy. I have Digimon Racing and what ever the GBA F-Zero is, and I've tried SNES F-Zero and now Super Mario Kart. I think the problem is I keep trying to take the turns Mario Kart 64 style and that definitely does not go well in a mode 7 racer, especially with F-Zero's love of hair pin turns.

There's plenty of copies on eBay for like $5-$10. I'm sure a few are counterfeits, but it did sell pretty well back when it came out since Mario Kart Advance wouldn't be out for another couple of months.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

shyduck posted:

I've never heard of a Z64 before, but it sounds like the pinnacle of 90's technology.

Oh, it was.

It worked pretty well for what it was, the main thing was that certain games had security chips or weird save memory, and you had to have a cart that matched it in the slot to actually play the ROM. And no on-screen menu, it used that little LCD and the up/down buttons to select a game. And it was supposed to leave those saves alone, but sometimes it didn’t.

And Zip disks and drives were universally awful. It used a standard internal drive, you’d just have to hope it didn’t kill all your disks before you figured out it failed.

It could work without being connected to an N64 for backups though, so people used them to dump kiosk demo cartridges from time to time. I remember a story about somebody stealthily dumping the DK64 demo before the game actually released.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

fishmech posted:

There's plenty of copies on eBay for like $5-$10. I'm sure a few are counterfeits, but it did sell pretty well back when it came out since Mario Kart Advance wouldn't be out for another couple of months.

Huh I'll have to add it to the queue, some how I had it in my head that it was pricier than that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TVs Ian posted:

Oh, it was.

It worked pretty well for what it was, the main thing was that certain games had security chips or weird save memory, and you had to have a cart that matched it in the slot to actually play the ROM. And no on-screen menu, it used that little LCD and the up/down buttons to select a game. And it was supposed to leave those saves alone, but sometimes it didn’t.

And Zip disks and drives were universally awful. It used a standard internal drive, you’d just have to hope it didn’t kill all your disks before you figured out it failed.

It could work without being connected to an N64 for backups though, so people used them to dump kiosk demo cartridges from time to time. I remember a story about somebody stealthily dumping the DK64 demo before the game actually released.

My favorite thing was that Harrison Electronics didn't care and had ads for it in game magazines of that era. I usually saw it right next to the Chips & Bits store ads.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 31, 2017

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

Edit: Oh, you have to have a hacked Vita.

Yes they work fine with a CFW Vita. Although the cheap Chinese ones may need to be sanded down a little as the quality control isn't 100%, but nothing 20 seconds won't fix.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Super Suit club represent :smug::hf::smug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TVs Ian posted:

Nah, nah. See the thing is, there was about a 6 months, year, period where Iomega decided to cut costs on Zip drives by a few cents a unit when they were at the height of their popularity. And their cost cutting measure was to remove a few bits of plastic that were specifically designed to prevent the click of death. So drives produced in that period lacked the protection and as soon as a damaged disk was placed in them it would permanently gently caress up any drive they were inserted into and lacked those protection bits. This would then break all your other disks etc.

Besides that though, the Zip drives and disks were actually significantly more reliable than regular floppies, but, Iomega's greed had to go gently caress things up and make it so it was hard to trust the drives again.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A friend of mine pre-ordered the SF2 repro :negative:

He seems to already regret it. I'm buying him a fire extinguisher for Christmas.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

I snagged a Super Mario All Stars + World cart at a gaming con a couple weeks back for $40. NO RAGRETS

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
If Walmart cancels my SNES Classic preorder again (apparently they are cancelling orders again, people were just thinking they were reducing to 1 unit per address but some single unit orders are being cancelled too), then I may just ebay Super Mario RPG and call it a day. Or bite the bullet on a SD2SNES.

Of the games I don't have carts for I am most excited for Castlvania IV and SMRPG. I have Super Metroid and Earthbound on VC already.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

He seems to already regret it. I'm buying him a fire extinguisher for Christmas.

You should tell him about fightcade

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shyduck posted:

Nah, buy him the grodiest, most faded, and absolute cheapest cart-only copy of SFII for the SNES. Either tape the receipt to it or print out your invoice. Don't even bother wrapping it. Hell, don't even give it to him immediately; just sit down, say nothing, insert it, and start playing. Rub the absolute disgrace of his horrible purchasing decision in his face, basically.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Boy Capcom have no shame do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Would it have killed iam8bit to, like, change the packaging or something?

• Locked thread