Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Alright who's everyone's worst Gundam character?

Like Naze is real bad but I think I still hate Beecha the most.

The one you like :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

The one you like :twisted:
Ah but the one I like is your favorite character!!!! What now Droyer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Naze is unironically mine. I can't think of a character I like less or who is more of an active drag down on a show for me. Beecha is bad but he's at least like... I'm supposed to think this guy is kind of a fuckup instead of thinking he's space Jesus. Lacus is bad but she's pretty much in-tone with her show, not showing up to actively drag the rest of the show down. The closest is probably Nina from 0083 and even then she's not on that level of awful.

Naze this that perfect mix of being a bad character, an author's pet, out of place with the setting, absorbing tons of screentime, having some really weird creepy poo poo going on, and not even having like a cool robot fight or something so I can go "well at least he had that scene." I can't think of a single redeeming thing about him except the OP fakeout was pretty funny.

Edit: The best Gundam character is Klim Nick however.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 30, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Beecha's clothes. Therefore he is ok in my book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, a quick runner up to Naze Turbine is Sekai Kamiki if we're allowing the BF universe. gently caress that guy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, a quick runner up to Naze Turbine is Sekai Kamiki if we're allowing the BF universe. gently caress that guy.

I guess using your criteria of bringing the show down he'd be the worst character. I just found him incredibly bland, not actively hateable.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Wufei. No contest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ranzear posted:

Wufei. No contest.

I was having a hard time with this question but you solved it for me thanks.

Wufei is the worrrrrst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I guess using your criteria of bringing the show down he'd be the worst character. I just found him incredibly bland, not actively hateable.

He's not actively hateabale as a character but he's probably the single worst "drags this goddamn show down" thing in Gundam, yeah. If he was a side character in someone else's show I'd just forget about him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Michel is also a pretty useless tit, and an idiot to boot. It's no wonder his Mimi left him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Raxivace posted:

I kind of find Beecha amusing in that it's like having early-Zeta Kamille with them. The guy did a lot of things Kamille would've, like hijack a mobile suit just to terrorize an MP that hit him, or pick a fight (and get his rear end kicked) by Wong Lee. :v:

The character I find to be the worst would be Shino from IBO. He's completely pointless since everyone else already does what he can, but better. Orga has a better drama about the burdens of leadership, Akihiro is already the less talented pilot who works hard to keep up with the others, Eugene's better at the girl-crazy thing since he doesn't constantly boast how he wants to tap someone. The only thing he's got going for him is that Yamagi pines for him, but that's really more Yamagi's deal than anything.

The fact someone as expendable as Shino survived S1 while Biscuit didn't is what really sours me on him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Bland is the worst thing to be.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Katejina Loos

like what was she even doing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I kind of find Beecha amusing in that it's like having early-Zeta Kamille with them. The guy did a lot of things Kamille would've, like hijack a mobile suit just to terrorize an MP that hit him, or pick a fight (and get his rear end kicked) by Wong Lee. :v:

The character I find to be the worst would be Shino from IBO. He's completely pointless since everyone else already does what he can, but better. Orga has a better drama about the burdens of leadership, Akihiro is already the less talented pilot who works hard to keep up with the others, Eugene's better at the girl-crazy thing since he doesn't constantly boast how he wants to tap someone. The only thing he's got going for him is that Yamagi pines for him, but that's really more Yamagi's deal than anything.

The fact someone as expendable as Shino survived S1 while Biscuit didn't is what really sours me on him.

I loathe Shino but he's redeemed by his death scene which is the single best bit of dark comedy and tragedy in all of IBO. The dude with the gaudy robot attempting to heroically commit a war crime with an illegal weapon and failing miserably before being gunned down like a dog is the optimal payoff for the character wasting so much goddamn time .

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mao. Mao is my worst Gundam character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mao. Mao is my worst Gundam character.

I can't hate Mao. I dislike him as a character but he has great taste in Gundams, so I can't hate him.

I can't say the same for Sekai though, who sucks badly and brings his whole series down with him. I want to say that Try would be improved by removing him, but the series would collapse on itself because every rival's motivation is Sekai and every girl wants Sekai for some goddamn reason. Minato is great because he exists outside of the Try paradigm of "all your motivation is Sekai".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually like Sekai, so.

Le shrug.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Kira yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Or Kio. Or Ezelcant, because hahaha what the holy gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

You know I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Kira yet.

Kira is a pretty bad character but to be honest, especially with years going by, he isn't the worst. He has a coherent character arc throughout SEED, even if it's dumb and ill-considered, and the worst of his crimes in Destiny are mostly being boring and hypocritical. Pretty much everything bad he does (and it's a lot) are repeated in worst fashion by Kio Asuno who is easily the worst part of Age and doesn't even have the competence given to Kira Yamato.

At this point I don't think Kira would be on my top 5 worst Gundam characters list but that's more because there have been some insanely dire Gundam characters.

Edit:
Kira would be my pick for the Worst Character In Destiny but Yzak would actually be my pick for the worst in SEED.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:
Kira would be my pick for the Worst Character In Destiny but Yzak would actually be my pick for the worst in SEED.

What about Meer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What about Meer?

Meer is pretty bad but at least has a somewhat coherent arc about being an exploited individual forced into a role where she can't be herself which is basically the closest the show comes to really showing how lovely the Destiny plan is. She's pretty drat low on the list still mind you but not rock-bottom. Also she doesn't have Soichiro Hoshi voicing her and Arthur getting super into her lovely pop cover of a song cracked me up.

I'd actually put Talia below Meer because "welp, gonna abandon my kid to go die, take care of him other ship captain I briefly spoke to!!" is some awful awful poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sekai is the worst. Remember Shimon? The Build Fighter who who used the Gunpla his sick brother made because he wanted to make him happy. And even tough his brother was just a little kid and not a good builder yet, Shimon used his boxing experience to overcome that and win Gunpla battles.

And then Sekai showed up, a guy who didn't know about or have any interest in Gunpla, and defeated Shimon using a world-class Gunpla he found by luck, in a match that was explicitly shown to be decided by build quality.

gently caress Sekai

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sekai's biggest crime is turning Fumina, who could have been a great character and a female lead, into one of the fangirls in his harem. Such a goddamn waste.
He does suck since he coached along using an insanely broken style of martial arts, happened to find a world class gunpla by accident and pulled abilities like assimilation out of his rear end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yzak, Katejina, Ali Al-Saachez, Iok

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still can't get over how Fumina's gunpla was written such that its primary purpose was to explode so the boys could fight better. I mean her second half one was pretty good at least, but still.

And Ali is certainly a terrible person, but I don't know if he's really a bad character.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ali is a pretty solid character.

...in season 1.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

Ali is a pretty solid character.

...in season 1.

Look we don't talk about season 2 okay?

Except the cool CB uniforms. Those you can talk about. Oh and 'll also allow talking about Setsuna a pink haired girl whose name I can't remember.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 30, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ali's not a deep character but he's a fun one. He's a bastard and he loves it.

Scott Mcneil's dub of him is the best

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My low point of a character in 00 is probably Nena Trinity honestly, a character who is both genuinely an unlikable poo poo and spends a ton of the series running around for no real interesting payoff. She and Ali basically have the same problems but Ali at least does a bit more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We're talking about characters we don't like. Good job writers, I don't like the murderous assholes or Iok.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

Sekai's biggest crime is turning Fumina, who could have been a great character and a female lead, into one of the fangirls in his harem. Such a goddamn waste.
He does suck since he coached along using an insanely broken style of martial arts, happened to find a world class gunpla by accident and pulled abilities like assimilation out of his rear end.

Sekai shut down all potential romances in the show because all women must love Sekai. Even though he expressed zero romantic interest towards any of them.

chumbler posted:

I still can't get over how Fumina's gunpla was written such that its primary purpose was to explode so the boys could fight better. I mean her second half one was pretty good at least, but still.

At least that was part of her character arc. She realized that she was too focused on making the club work and not focusing enough on herself.

I mean, that was it, that was her entire character arc. But still

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't call them worst in series or anything, but I can't think of any 00 characters I actually like. a lot I had no strong feelings for until season 2, where most of them also became bad

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I'm not saying you have to like him, but I thought it was pretty obvious what Shino does.

He's the guy who doesn't get it. The rest of Tekkadan may not know where the road they're on end, but they understand on some level the basic deal. No greater good, no just cause.

Shino... Shino's a guy in the wrong genre. He's a super robot pilot. Thinks as little as possible, yells as loud as possible, a friend to all except the enemy who he can kill without regret, blindly oblivious to his obvious love interest. He's innocent in a weird way most of Tekkadan pointedly isn't.

Again, you might not like him, or think the function he fills isn't necessary although nobody in the cast could fail a million to one long shot quite as effectively as he did, but he does provide something none of the other characters do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ali AL Sanchez is was my favorite character in 00 but I'm pretty sure that's entirely the voice acting and his name being amusing

Patrick Colasour comes in second place for the exact same reasons

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Patrick is the only person in 00 who had a happy ending. It's debatable whether Kati did.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't hate Mao. I dislike him as a character but he has great taste in Gundams, so I can't hate him.

I can't say the same for Sekai though, who sucks badly and brings his whole series down with him. I want to say that Try would be improved by removing him, but the series would collapse on itself because every rival's motivation is Sekai and every girl wants Sekai for some goddamn reason. Minato is great because he exists outside of the Try paradigm of "all your motivation is Sekai".

They would've just made the one girl the main character like they had CLEARLY wanted, and it wouldn't have been the same show at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fumina is the lead, beginning with a lack of confidence but having the love of Gundam and the desire to succeed that brings the team together.
Sekai is the best fighter but the poorest builder and has no real love for Gundam, so his experiences are entirely fight-based and his time with Fumina helps bring out a genuine love of Gundam.
Kousaka is the best builder, not a great fighter, and while he loves building he lacks the genuine affection that separates technically proficient but heartless builders from those who create things out of love of adoration. (Setting up his rivalry with the guy who makes weird bloated goofy machines that are genuinely heartfelt.)

Fumina's arc is growing into her own confidence and her genuine love of Gunpla, Gunpla Battle and Gundam allowing her to create a machine that embodies the best traits of all and also brings out the best traits of her allies.

Super frigging easy storytelling without changing anything but the protagonist. It's sort of lightly repeating Sei's character arc but that's fine. Making the protagonist "the one who loves Gundam" supported by "the good fighter" and "The good builder" is better than what we got.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't recall her loving gundam the franchise so much as just loving gunpla, which would be something that separates her from Sei. Not being the world's greatest prodigy builder would also be a good distinguishing point.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I don't recall her loving gundam the franchise so much as just loving gunpla, which would be something that separates her from Sei. Not being the world's greatest prodigy builder would also be a good distinguishing point.

Nah, early on she talks a lot about her love of Gundam and she's the one who does all the Gundam geeking out that happens in the series. (For all that it happens in Try which has way less Gundam geeking in general.) Well I guess she and Sekai sing Anime Ja Nai together but you know who is the one who taught him that song.

Try in general though is just way lighter on love for the Gundam franchise which is the weirdest thing about it. It's basically Generic Tiny Robots beyond a certain point.