Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Do we know anything about Zoro's past and family beyond "he trained at a dojo once and made a promise with a girl who immediately died thereafter"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Do we know anything about Zoro's past and family beyond "he trained at a dojo once and made a promise with a girl who immediately died thereafter"?

nah it hasn't come up

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

U-DO Burger posted:

He was an orphan, and after that he was a bounty hunter until he met Luffy. I've always thought the bounty hunting thing would come up again. We really see hardly any bounty hunters at all in the whole series, considering what a big deal bounties are. Zoro, the people in whisky peak, that one gladiator who was good at throwing....

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

have they said he's an orphan, or is that assumed? maybe he accidentally let go of his mom's hand in a crowd and after failing to find his way home for a few years he decided to just live at the nearby dojo instead

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

He was an orphan, and after that he was a bounty hunter until he met Luffy. I've always thought the bounty hunting thing would come up again. We really see hardly any bounty hunters at all in the whole series, considering what a big deal bounties are. Zoro, the people in whisky peak, that one gladiator who was good at throwing....

Also Zoro's pals who stuck around til the end of Arlong Park.

Anyway, I imagine we will eventually get some kinda backstory for Zoro. We know he made a promise to Kuina, and that's important to him, but we don't know, for example, why he was traveling to that dojo, or why he worked so hard to be a swordsman even before he was friends with Kuina, or where he came from before getting to that dojo, or why he has a family name?

At some point another Roronoa character is gonna pop up, even if only to say "dammit Zoro you're ruining the family name now everybody thinks we're pirates!"

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Begemot posted:

I've always thought the bounty hunting thing would come up again. We really see hardly any bounty hunters at all in the whole series, considering what a big deal bounties are. Zoro, the people in whisky peak, that one gladiator who was good at throwing....

It would be cool if there were more new world level bounty hunters, but in a theoretical sense the warlords serve that function. They're powerful government agents capable of operating outside the normal bounds of the law because they're not officially representing the navy.

Now obviously a lot of the warlords continue doing whatever the gently caress they want and ignore the government as much as possible, so they spend very little time hunting down other pirates. But it's hard to imagine groups powerful enough to be hunting new world pirates that aren't basically just pirates themselves.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JahRoo posted:

It would be cool if there were more new world level bounty hunters, but in a theoretical sense the warlords serve that function. They're powerful government agents capable of operating outside the normal bounds of the law because they're not officially representing the navy.

Now obviously a lot of the warlords continue doing whatever the gently caress they want and ignore the government as much as possible, so they spend very little time hunting down other pirates.

the anime had a bounty hunter arc. it would be cool if they basically just focused on the poo poo the world doesnt get any attention. like them, slave traders, etc, as bad guys in short 13-ep arcs or w/e

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

the anime had a bounty hunter arc. it would be cool if they basically just focused on the poo poo the world doesnt get any attention. like them, slave traders, etc, as bad guys in short 13-ep arcs or w/e

Come to think about it, not counting mini-arcs meant to tie into the movies have there been any straight up filler arcs in the anime since the timeskip?

Because I think I'd honestly prefer that to the current method (both the anime and manga are currently doing the exact same arc at the moment, I'm not sure any other series has been that neck and neck with its source material before).

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
You could just not watch the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharktamer posted:

It's not really that much of a problem (though granted, the only real reasons to watch the anime anymore is the VA and music), I was just curious.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 30, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

sharktamer posted:

it would be cool if the anime were like, actually good, tho

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
They did a 3 episode filler between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa. Then a 1 episode one on Zou. Finally a short one on the way to Whole Cake. None were good, but they are short enough it didn't matter. One was about a guy with the Pet Pet fruit. He can make things his pets, which is literally slavery and they can't disobey him. He catches Chopper and the Kungfu Dugong shows back up.
The Zou one is an episode after Jack attacks, they are fixing the elephants leg.
The last is when Luffy eats all the food on the way to WCI. The crew infiltrates a military base to steal food. Nami does some burgling.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
You forgot the one after Dressrosa with the tie-in to Gold

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

At some point another Roronoa character is gonna pop up, even if only to say "dammit Zoro you're ruining the family name now everybody thinks we're pirates!"

That would own since Roronoa is a mistranslation of a French pirate to begin with.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

U-DO Burger posted:

have they said he's an orphan, or is that assumed? maybe he accidentally let go of his mom's hand in a crowd and after failing to find his way home for a few years he decided to just live at the nearby dojo instead

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Or maybe it will be like Ranma 1/2 and Zoro's family never came up because they all have a terrible sense of direction and so they don't see each for years at a time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Or maybe it will be like Ranma 1/2 and Zoro's family never came up because they all have a terrible sense of direction and so they don't see each for years at a time

that would be perfect

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

U-DO Burger posted:

Goddammit, now I'll be disappointed if this isn't canon. It's perfect.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

U-DO Burger posted:

goddammit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol i just realized pedro uses dynamite in an arc against napoleon...

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kild posted:

No it doesn't make his character weaker but its probably not likely he's the only person in the crew without some sort of 'pedigree'. He's not the last of his kind and the only person left that can read Poneglyphs or the son of Yassop, or the the heir to Uranus, or the Prince of a Kingdom, or a talking Reindeer or Skeleton, or a Shichibukai Fishman or the son of the world's most dangerous criminal, grandson of the worlds greatest hero and brother to Roger's son.

Maybe he will just be some guy but there's questions that were left with his backstory like with Nami and Sanji and Brook too.

Like what was the war or battle the orphaned Nami + her sister? Who were their actual parents? Why did that event cause Bellemere to quit the marines?

I feel that any Zoro backstory will be tied into whatever explanation we get about the sword he inherited from Kuina. It might even be similar to the Skypiea flashback, and explain the history of the sword and how special it is that Zoro has it now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope maybe we get a better understanding of how fate works in one piece and how the curse interacts with zoro

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe his real family lives in Wano. They took a vacation outside of the New World and lost Zoro there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chapter:
http://readms.net/r/one_piece/877/4531/1

Hopefully Pedro stays dead, as mean as that sounds.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo, that first fan art page on Mangastream.

Luffy, you're looking kinda cool.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I can't even bring myself to care that Pedro is dead (if he even is), considering that he hasn't been around that long, hasn't had much screen time, and was established as being close to death already.

If that had been Jinbei who killed himself to make sure that the Strawhats escaped then it would have been a major (and tragic) event. Who cares about Pedro?

bondster
May 6, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Chapter:
http://readms.net/r/one_piece/877/4531/1

Hopefully Pedro stays dead, as mean as that sounds.

Pell :911:

Seriously, never forget Pell in these types of moments

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pell should have stayed dead :colbert:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both Pedro and Pell start with Pe-....

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Jeez. Alive until proven otherwise.

cannot... stop... laughing...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

:qq:

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

If you flip and resize this picture, and put something like "what the gently caress did I just post" under it, it could make an excellent avatar.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So Dogtoothp is literally just Luffy, but with a better fruit and imported from a super serious anime. Better version of the "amorphous body" powerset that lets him pull things off his body, open shirt but his has a sweet fluffy collar, and not one but TWO edgy facial scars.

Forget Blackbeard, he's the real Anti-luffy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I can't even bring myself to care that Pedro is dead (if he even is), considering that he hasn't been around that long, hasn't had much screen time, and was established as being close to death already.

If that had been Jinbei who killed himself to make sure that the Strawhats escaped then it would have been a major (and tragic) event. Who cares about Pedro?

that plus how fast it happens makes me super not care too, yeah

if he was more interesting as a character maybe but dude's basically diet jinbe

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

carrot's tragic backstory... welcome tot he crew

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pedro is way better than Jimbei but yeah I hope he stays dead since it cheapens the moment if he comes back with minor burns at the end of the arc.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

oddium posted:

carrot's tragic backstory... welcome tot he crew

:yeah:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Has he just done a Chiaotzu and Perospero is barely hurt from the explosion? Cause that would be funny.

Also kinda sucks Chopper and Brook weren't able to do too much, but that's power levels for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

perospero was the perfect enemy for chopper to clown on all he had to do was eat all the candy