Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

starkebn posted:

I think a HOA in Australia is called "the body corporate", so I'm not sure what the argument is

It's a very stupidly specific example of a larger issue that I see pop up way too often that I wanted to complain about because there were a lot of things annoying me that morning.

Guy was trying to argue that Australia and the rest of the world besides the US doesn't have HOAs by any name as some kind of sick burn, and used the example where universally some HOA or equivalent organization would be present, in any country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

starkebn posted:

I think a HOA in Australia is called "the body corporate", so I'm not sure what the argument is

I don't think those are the same thing at all.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tiggum posted:

I don't think those are the same thing at all.

I don't know much about it truthfully, so I'm happy to admit I'm probably wrong. I just know most apartments have a "body corporate" you have to pay to keep all the communal lighting and gardens and poo poo fixed

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
This discussion is gonna be irrelevant anyway, when we live in the NWO one world government brought to you by Doritos™

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Where does the body electric fit in?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Are you saying you don't celebrate the you yet to come or?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bobby Digital posted:

Where does the body electric fit in?

Dunno, but I'm singing it right now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate people who feed the ducks/geese when there are huge signs saying not to. Mostly because my park has become a swamp of geese that chase people if they don't have food.

I sadly did not have a bike or a weapon, but after working at the zoo, I know that if an animal knows he has your number once, he will punch it every loving time. You get one chance. So when rear end in a top hat goose rushed me, I made sure no one was around (the fishermen don't care, but the idiots feeding the ducks handfuls of bread would), and just kept walking with fists moving until he had to either go in the street or hit the wall behind him. He chose the street.

Now we have one of those enemy things where the male will do a territory call, and I ignore it. But the second he or his mate get up and walk towards me, fists out and I do the pissed off walk as fast as I can toward them. They back down.

And if assholes want to feed ducks, don't feed bread! Buy loving duck food, it exists!

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate people who feed the ducks/geese when there are huge signs saying not to. Mostly because my park has become a swamp of geese that chase people if they don't have food.

I sadly did not have a bike or a weapon, but after working at the zoo, I know that if an animal knows he has your number once, he will punch it every loving time. You get one chance. So when rear end in a top hat goose rushed me, I made sure no one was around (the fishermen don't care, but the idiots feeding the ducks handfuls of bread would), and just kept walking with fists moving until he had to either go in the street or hit the wall behind him. He chose the street.

Now we have one of those enemy things where the male will do a territory call, and I ignore it. But the second he or his mate get up and walk towards me, fists out and I do the pissed off walk as fast as I can toward them. They back down.

And if assholes want to feed ducks, don't feed bread! Buy loving duck food, it exists!

I live in Canada and Canada geese are the worst. They are protected by federal law and the loving know it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still have a really fond memory of a swan attacking me pondside at a park and beating me with its wings when I was probably 4 or 5 and my dad ran up and punted it like 20 feet into the pond. I wish I could see the end result cause that thing was probably embarrassed as hell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0do8ruFgGVU

My way from work led to a park for a while where there were a ton of geese, and I don't know if they just were a chill flock or species or what but I walked close by them multiple times and they never paid any attention. They had goslings and all.

By contrast, in another park I saw some kid trying to feed the geese (with crisps :psyduck:) while they had young, and he was stretching his hand out towards them while the adults stared at it and hissed, and I didn't stick around to see the outcome but maybe someone learned a lesson that day.

e: okay, third goose story: I'm walking through yet another park and see two girls lying in the grass. A canada goose is circling them. As I come closer it's becoming apparent that the goose is actually very slowly closing in on a spiral path. Eventually I lose sight. When I come back the same way 15 minutes later, there's no trace of the girls. The goose is sitting in their exact spot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Somehow all my music was deleted from iTunes. This is annoying because: a) It now looks like I have loads of music but I've never listened to any of it; and b) iTunes can't restore half the cover art (which it did for all the albums in question when I originally ripped them from the CDs - in any event, the "get album artwork" function just straight up isn't working) and it'd be a tedious chore to copy all the covers I need off the Internet.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I hate when I complain about a problem to a person who is able to fix it, and they respond as if we're having a chummy whine session instead of, y'know, a professional discussion about an actual fixable issue. This happens a lot with my managers at work.

:j: Hey, Tom left this big mess on the ground and it's a huge safety hazard, and he's been over there chatting with friends for 30 minutes
:downs: Wow, what an rear end in a top hat! That guy is ALWAYS doing stuff like that, huh? Haha what a wacky dude, I can't believe he thinks that's cool.
:j: ......you know you're his supervisor, right?
:downs: Haha yeah I can't believe he thinks he can get away with that all the time. What a bad employee!

:j: I'm scheduled to close & then open the next morning twice next week.
:jerkbag: Wow that really sucks, huh? This new scheduling program is horrible!
:j: Ok but like, you're able to change it, right? Because you said that's not supposed to happen but it's been like this every other week.
:jerkbag: Yeah, it's not supposed to do that. Weird! These wacky computers! Haha

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
After this many years of internet being commonplace, why are college/uni online components still so loving poorly designed?

Made worse by every prof having a slightly different setup and there being multiple places where you might find or submit assignments? And why do we need three different web services for different student activities?

Keeping track of poo poo is a nightmare.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

After this many years of internet being commonplace, why are college/uni online components still so loving poorly designed?

Made worse by every prof having a slightly different setup and there being multiple places where you might find or submit assignments? And why do we need three different web services for different student activities?

Because too many schools let different offices choose their own technology to purchase and support. Even if it's the rare instance where it's all one technology, you can't tell faculty members ANYTHING so they do whatever they want with it.

Any uniformity that a school displays is all a facade. Behind the scenes it's a never ending nightmare of petty bickering and outright incompetence, balanced with a bunch of dedicated staff fighting the good fight for lord knows what reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In addition to what Indolent Bastard said, the people who design, buy and use the software are three or more different groups. The users complain about something, the designers say that it works fine if you use it properly, the buyers don't want to spend any more time or money on it so they just tell everyone to work around it (because it doesn't inconvenience them personally).

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

A related peeve summed up well by our old friends at XKCD:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I've never been a huge XKCD fan, but that's so accurate that I fully approve. I guess what I'm saying is that I share that peeve.

In a similar vein, when I send an email to, say, the office of graduate studies asking a specific question? I do not want to be sent nothing but a link to a page I've either already checked or, rarely, knew about but was trying to circumvent by going to the supposed source.

Actually, I got this a lot from various advisors over the years too. "Google it" is not, in my opinion, a thing you should have as a valid dialogue option when you're getting paid to help people navigate their futures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This Sunday, I played in a church orchestra, and it reminded me of everything I used to hate when I played in concert bands and jazz orchestras in school and university.

I think the most aggravating is always going to be the one musician who thinks they're hot poo poo despite being barely competent on their instrument.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people ask me if I'm mad at them and won't answer when I ask what made them think I was after saying "no".

I wasn't but now I kind of am.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My school's site has trouble with the Chrome browser. If I want to enroll or do other admin stuff I need to use Firefox.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

My school's site has trouble with the Chrome browser. If I want to enroll or do other admin stuff I need to use Firefox.

I like Firefox because I can block all cookies/plugins and just white list sites one at a time, also all my keystrokes aren't being logged by Google.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This chain of events, because it always seems to happen a lot because I have the memory of an ant and try to avoid using the same password everywhere:

- poo poo, I forgot my password for ~site~, or ~site~'s app
- Check Chrome/Google's password-saving feature
- Dammit, there's like five different passwords saved for ~site~, because I've forgotten my password four times before
- Try a few of the passwords before giving up
- gently caress it, reset my password and I'l just make a new password
- Now there's six different passwords, when I'm not busy I should go through and delete the ones that aren't right anymore, so this doesn't happen again
- Six months later, start from the beginning

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people ask me if I'm mad at them and won't answer when I ask what made them think I was after saying "no".

I wasn't but now I kind of am.

Ugh I hate this and friends who are constantly worried about your opinion of them, afraid to contradict you on the most mundane of topics. Dude, I'm not going to hate you for liking a different kind of chips from me, but I'll probably come to resent you for acting like a whipped dog around me when I've never even raised my voice in your presence

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Real people, not actors". As far as I know most actors are in fact real people, aside from, like, Air Bud and Erin Esurance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MisterBibs posted:

This chain of events, because it always seems to happen a lot because I have the memory of an ant and try to avoid using the same password everywhere:

- Dammit, there's like five different passwords saved for ~site~, because I've forgotten my password four times before
- Now there's six different passwords, when I'm not busy I should go through and delete the ones that aren't right anymore, so this doesn't happen again

Also those loving dots when you are trying to type a password. If you insist my password be 3Dg&R_^11eN*h0 instead of edgarallenho then for gently caress's sake let me see this mess.

Has anyone, ever, had an account compromised from some hacker craning over their shoulder to read the password as its typed?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

gently caress no. By far the most common method of stealing somebody's password is phishing.

Complicated passwords are a placebo designed to make it feel like the company is doing something for password security without actually putting any effort in.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I feel like I've just recently complained about passwords here, but god they are aggravating.

My (least) favorite is when the site has 5 different rules passwords need to follow. but you'll never find out what they are until you're angrily trying to put together a new one after resetting because it turns out this is the only website you visit that requires uppercase, lowercase, a number, three symbols, fifteen characters and two new security questions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Parasol Prophet posted:

I feel like I've just recently complained about passwords here, but god they are aggravating.

My (least) favorite is when the site has 5 different rules passwords need to follow. but you'll never find out what they are until you're angrily trying to put together a new one after resetting because it turns out this is the only website you visit that requires uppercase, lowercase, a number, three symbols, fifteen characters and two new security questions.

"But only the special characters , % @ § and ) are allowed"

E: especially when the auto-reset from the password makes you retype other information or the loving captcha

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Sep 1, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Pet peeve:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Current peeve: I am sick currently and my nose is both completely stuffed up and yet also constantly running to the point where I've shoved a wadded Kleenex in there like a nosebleed to prevent about getting everywhere. Why this, biology?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MisterBibs posted:

I recommend a password manager like KeePass (or if you must, a cloud-based one like OnePassword or Lastpass, but if you're really security conscious those aren't your best choice). Took me forever to start using one but it's so much easier.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but flat head screws. Who in the loving hell decided these were a good idea? Probably some assholes who could count on never ever having to work on a thing, ever. gently caress flat head screws forever, and especially the lovely ones they use for wall outlets for some reason.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but flat head screws. Who in the loving hell decided these were a good idea? Probably some assholes who could count on never ever having to work on a thing, ever. gently caress flat head screws forever, and especially the lovely ones they use for wall outlets for some reason.

What is the actual reason for this kind of weirdness, where one product continues decades or maybe even hundreds of years after its practical? Is it obscure nostalgia or some sort of crazy grip on the market the old timer companies have? Are there different companies that only make either flat head or Phillips screwdrivers?? Is Phillips a brand or just a type?

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Sep 1, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Flat screws work great if you have a properly fitting driver. The problem is that most people just use the first driver they find that kind of fits into the slot. The extra slop means that all of the force is concentrated on the very corners of the blade, deforming the screw head and slipping like crazy.

Not that needing to have a giant set of like 20 flat screwdrivers isn't its own problem, but it makes things a lot less terrible to work on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You're less likely to strip the head with a standard screw than a Philips-head so that's something, I guess. Still not worth it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Aesop Poprock posted:

What is the actual reason for this kind of weirdness, where one product continues decades or maybe even hundreds of years after its practical? Is it obscure nostalgia or some sort of crazy grip on the market the old timer companies have?

My pet peeve is the reverse of this. A perfectly good product that works as intended, then they discontinue it and come out with the "new and improved" version which is a piece of poo poo, but they never go back to the original.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed, fahrenheit is a lovely way to express temperature.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Can we not go down this road in yet another thread? Here is a spoiler of the entire argument:

Pro-celsius:
the rest of the world does it
it makes more sense for water to boil/freeze at 100/0
americans are stupid

Pro-fahrenheit:
america is cool, we don't want to be told what to do
it's more intuitive/has a wider range to describe every-day conditions