Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If Civ has taught me anything it's that Ghandi is the most nuke-happy of them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are no true heroes. Everyone you ever looked up to turns out was a shithead or worse.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Skwirl posted:

Has it been pointed out that LGBT rights didn't even really exist as a concept in America until drag queens starting rioting.

Hell, I remember Jon Stewart making fun of trans people in like 2004.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

There are no true heroes. Everyone you ever looked up to turns out was a shithead or worse.

Except JJ Watt

And John Cena

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shangri-Law School posted:

May Day is a great holiday, but I would have preferred a functioning Knights of Labor.

I will admit that I am weak on labor history and want to learn more.

I'd recommend the Story of the Battle of Blair Mountain. It's about the was against ~10,000 coal minors in West Virginia in 1921. It's the only time american planes dropped bombs on American soil during a battle.

peaceful neo-Nazi march?

There's no such thing

Intruder posted:

If Civ has taught me anything it's that Ghandi is the most nuke-happy of them all

Found the quote I was looking for, ironically in a Civ discussion:

quote:

Had we adopted non-violence as the weapon of the strong, because we realised that it was more effective than any other weapon, in fact the mightiest force in the world, we would have made use of its full potency and not have discarded it as soon as the fight against the British was over or we were in a position to wield conventional weapons. But as I have already said, we adopted it out of our helplessness. If we had the atom bomb, we would have used it against the British.

(It may have come off wrong in my earlier post, but learning about this raised my opinion of Gandhi, all the questionable stuff about the man aside. I just think America created a simulacrum of the man, like they did with MLK, that does not jive with the actuality of him)

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 30, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Intruder posted:

If he doesn't nuke you, he'll out culture you.

Gandhi delonde est.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

I only look up to you tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

There wasn't really any pushback at just casually throwing around the word "tranny"until like 5 years ago.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

Except JJ Watt

And John Cena

JJ Watt thinks Skyline is the best chili

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

If he doesn't nuke you, he'll out culture you.

Gandhi delonde est.

oh cool I spelled his name like super wrong

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Leperflesh posted:

explain Dan Marino?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

And Cena is always making sure people can't see him

What's he trying to get away with while he's out of sight? :thunk:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

explain Dan Marino?

Dan Marino's cocaine?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

On Cum Town Nick talked about how he first heard thr term transphobic like three years ago and thought it was a joke. Trans rights is suuuuuuuper new and going lol tranny lol was fine even pin prime time tv up until a couple years ago

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

Dan Marino's cocaine?

Doesn't make him a bad guy, actually makes him seem cooler especially since it was in the 80's

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

On Cum Town Nick talked about how he first heard thr term transphobic like three years ago and thought it was a joke. Trans rights is suuuuuuuper new and going lol tranny lol was fine even pin prime time tv up until a couple years ago

Yeah, hell, normal TV stuff only mostly stopped the <thing, but gay!> not that long ago. Outside of like Fox-aimed stuff I guess. I immediately thought of Family Guy / Mad TV, so lol, nevermind.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus Christ Ehud

I'm proud of you

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Kalli posted:

I'd recommend the Story of the Battle of Blair Mountain. It's about the was against ~10,000 coal minors in West Virginia in 1921. It's the only time american planes dropped bombs on American soil during a battle.

There's no such thing

I'll check that out.

I know that, but "Nazism is inherently violent" has a tough time competing against footage of white men ("He could be my son!") getting run over.

The Gandhi quote is a good one. Saul Alinsky brings it up in Rules for Radicals.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I only look up to you tho

lol if you think I'm not just as much a shithead as everyone else, just lol

Intruder posted:

Except JJ Watt

And John Cena

JJ Watt is "vice president of power relations" for a power company. And uhhh, I bet he said something mean to one of his younger siblings once

john cena likes anime

Ehud posted:

explain Dan Marino?

Dan Marino willingly played for the miami dolphins and was in Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah wow. I had friends who grew up in... problematic households, but nothing like that.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Its Rinaldo posted:

he's only wrong in that Gold Star is better

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

Doesn't make him a bad guy, actually makes him seem cooler especially since it was in the 80's

Right on

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cocaine stops being cool at a point right?

Like, when you start getting all 50 year old rockstar or wear an expensive suit everyday, you've rolled back around to sucking rear end right?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I ain't white. I'm happy with anti-fa when they do things like shielding BLM or doxxing Nazis, but I don't want there to be any escalation of violence. It's not just a philosophical thing, it's tactical.

For gently caress's sake, being black in America means living under perpetual threat of arbitrary execution. BLM taking to the streets is already an enormous risk on their part. Why would groups that claim to be their allies want to make things more difficult for them?

Some people can put on a mask, beat up a Nazi and run away. Others won't be as lucky.

Yes, if we are nice to them and try using reason and logic then maybe this will be the time that Nazis will politely engage with the untermensch.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kalli posted:

Cocaine stops being cool at a point right?

Like, when you start getting all 50 year old rockstar or wear an expensive suit everyday, you've rolled back around to sucking rear end right?

By then you've gotta switch to weed

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think we should roll true rebel style and use out of date t shirts and jeans and a bunch of old white toyotas with .50 cals on the back

The 1st time I fired a Browning quad .50. I got a boner. You might think this post is a joke or facetious, but I assure you that it's true

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You've failed the test of humility, Ehud will now be teaching strength

lmao, you're my favorite

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think that was a very funny jab aimed at Ehuds family but I'm glad it didn't make him mad and also very impressed with how far he's come.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You've failed the test of humility, Ehud will now be teaching strength

Hahaha

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Update on the shooter(s)

http://www.kcra.com/article/3-officers-shot-near-sacramento-county-motel-3-people-detained/12140437

Sounds like no terrorist, just normal poo poo heads shooting at cops. Multiple related suspects which is why there were confusing reports of multiple shooters.

Spoeank posted:

lol I need to stop phone postin in shops while I'm waiting for the techs to get stuff done because I don't proofread and I just fat finger my poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

lol I need to stop phone postin in shops while I'm waiting for the techs to get stuff done because I don't proofread and I just fat finger my poo poo.

Hell, that just reminded me. Fag used to get used like a comma on the forums up until like 2006-2007 I want to say?

That was the heyday of all the filters on the forums to like unicorn and grandma and stuff.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I mean thanks to South Park everyone we knew was a jew or a fag growing up. I'm glad that poo poo has fallen out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I always just called people stoop kid

Because of their fear of leaving their stoop

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Yes, if we are nice to them and try using reason and logic then maybe this will be the time that Nazis will politely engage with the untermensch.

yes, that's right, deciding not to literally violently attack the white supremecists, or being nice to them and politely engaging with them in a debate. Those are the only two possible options.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

I wore my hey Arnold socks today

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

yes, that's right, deciding not to literally violently attack the white supremecists, or being nice to them and politely engaging with them in a debate. Those are the only two possible options.

The nazis attacked first in Charlottesville, there's video of it. They came with clubs, shields, body armor, and firearms. Also nazi flags.

I understand you get to handwave this poo poo away because it's all theory to you but Nazis killed like half my family. They absolutely are a threat to you and everyone you know.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

Good you should shame them for relying on the stoop.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Yup you're a cop alright!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The nazis attacked first in Charlottesville, there's video of it. They came with clubs, shields, body armor, and firearms. Also nazi flags.

I understand you get to handwave this poo poo away because it's all theory to you but Nazis killed like half my family. They absolutely are a threat to you and everyone you know.

I am not referring specifically to Charlottesville, I am not referring only to nazis, but to the entire alt-right and friends all over the place, and with respect: I am not handwaving this poo poo away. And this is not "all theory" to me.

"If you're not with antifa you're with the nazis" is a bad way to dismiss any discussion of the matter and it's also bullshit reasoning to say that nonviolence always means "being nice" or trying to engage nazis in a polite discussion.

The problem with legitimizing violence as a form of political action is that nobody has a monopoly on violence.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Is it weird that another one of my main concerns is I was terrible at dating 8 years ago and I doubt I'm better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I agree with Leperfish, he's a reasonable guy with a pretty reasonable point

• Locked thread