Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

V for Vegas posted:

I hope Pdx do make Victoria 3 simply because the game has some of the best and unique game design ideas they've ever come up with and it would be a travesty if they remain locked up in an old dead game that is no longer developed.

Victoria 2 was probably one more big expansion from being really good. Heart of Darkness got a lot of things right, but the momentum just wasn't there anymore. Thankfully at least Wiz and (I wanna say podcat?) put together the current beta patch in their spare time a couple summers ago, so we at least have that, but it's still a dead game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Vicky 2 was probably on a to dated engine to be really good, though I have high prospects for 3.

Ignoring that Stellaris is garbo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

e: is Endless Space 2 good? I didn't much like the first one as it's so generic.
I recently was curious about the same thing and someone pointed me to the Endless Megathread, where I asked about it. There are some posts on the last page in reply to my question about its status that explain its current state well, I recommend checking it out.

Koramei posted:

is this really that surprising? this thread used to get tons of posts from them too but these days it's almost never. there are very legitimate criticisms of the games, many of which get glanced on from time to time, but holy poo poo are goons hostile these days and it's turned almost into an echo chamber. I wouldn't read it either it I were one of the devs.
You make a very good point. I was thinking more along the lines of breakdowns of the problems with Ming and valid (usually) well thought out criticisms of mechanics, rather than how some people are outright hostile and just say that something sucks, which they can be.

Koramei posted:

also no offense to you; I don't agree with a lot of your suggestions but you do try to be constructive and civil. some other posters on the other hand... it really does piss me off, it's shut off a great channel for feedback and suggestions we used to have. but goons gotta goon I guess.
No offense taken at all. I do not expect everyone to agree with me and I know that any ideas/suggestions/bullshit I post are not necessarily going to be liked or accepted or the actual solution to a problem. I just like to spitball and it is obvious that others do too (it is also obvious that others are better at it than me :v:).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually find game design an interesting topic that's just fun to discuss. It's not all desperately hoping a developer reads our wisdom and implements it, it's usually just spitballing.

What I find interesting about a lot of games, specially 4x games, is that it's such an old and established genre yet it's very much not a "solved" problem. In fact it almost seems like they've been going backwards since classic Moo. It hasn't been this iterative improvement over the decade(s) where you see each generation of 4x space game getting better or learning what works or what didn't. Most just take moo2, take out the fun turn based combat and jam in some horribly boring or frustrating real time or abstracted combat, add a couple cool new ideas, then fail to make anything memorable.

The space empires series was cool and gave you so much room for customization but without falling into Aurora levels of turbo-sperging. Distant worlds really gives the "everything is automated!" idea an honest go by designing the automated parts of the game from the ground up as core to the game design, rather than a tacked on AI manager to help reduce micro management bloat like most games do. Moo3 had a ton of great ideas but not enough budget to implement them. Endless Legend 2 has fantastic art, music, and general production values but like all Amplitude games, once you see through the polish and style and amazing world-building the actual games aren't so gripping. Sins of a Solar empire tried the all-real-time thing out and I guess some people liked it. And of course there's Emperor of the Fading Suns that was very much a paradox style asymmetric pre-established history sort of game, dune meets 40k meets your grandpa's hex based war games and we've really never see anything like it since.

Yet after recently binging nearly every space 4x worth playing made, the stand out really was the original master of orion. Simple but interesting slider based planet management, quick but actually tactical turn based combat heavily linked with you ship designs, decent espionage, and a constant sense that things are happening and anything could change. It did semi-randomized tech way better than Stellaris too and some how managed to present better diplomacy too. The game remained a challenge as well without needing any poorly balanced "late game threats". I had so many games where I thought it was for sure in the bag, but suddenly everyone had united against me and now I was facing a single united enemy. I had games where I thought I was hosed but managed to frame my two main rivals into going to war with each other giving me enough time to build up and absorb a weaker neighbour. For such an old game the balance is super good and it generally stays interesting until the end.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 30, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I actually find game design an interesting topic that's just fun to discuss. It's not all desperately hoping a developer reads our wisdom and implements it, it's usually just spitballing.

Yeah, I'm always just spitballing.

After all, I already got my idea in a Paradox game, and that's as much as anyone can wish for in this world. :shobon:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

After all, I already got my idea in a Paradox game, and that's as much as anyone can wish for in this world. :shobon:

That was a good idea, I'm never zoomed in enough in any paradox game to appreciate the unit art. From CK2 to EU4 to Stellaris they're just little blobs on the map.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

That was a good idea, I'm never zoomed in enough in any paradox game to appreciate the unit art. From CK2 to EU4 to Stellaris they're just little blobs on the map.

* cranks mouse wheel to zoom in until units are visible *
* now lacks all strategic perspective and situational awareness *

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Every time Paradox releases any official media for any of their games using the terrain mapmode I die a bit inside

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris 2 needs to rip off The Lost Fleet for space combat, where you spend days or weeks maneuvering to meet each other for a like .2 microsecond engagement where almost every weapon fired misses due to time dilation screwing up your observations because every fleet is flying past eachother at relative .3c or whatever.

I'd be ok with a space 4X that's just a 1v1 with a few player controlled sub factions.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

So you are the one I can blame for the battle results screen becoming bloated and taking up UI space! :mad:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Fintilgin posted:

* cranks mouse wheel to zoom in until units are visible *
* now lacks all strategic perspective and situational awareness *

This right here is my main gripe with Vicky2

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think paradox should figure out a way to clearly identify units without having to rely on pretty 3d models that become a lump of pixels at the level of zoom most people play at. Something that could provide a quick clear visual count of what's where, something to counter the confusion of 3d models at a distance.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think paradox should figure out a way to clearly identify units without having to rely on pretty 3d models that become a lump of pixels at the level of zoom most people play at. Something that could provide a quick clear visual count of what's where, something to counter the confusion of 3d models at a distance.

So lil 2d sprite mans like OG Medieval: Total war?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YF-23 posted:

So you are the one I can blame for the battle results screen becoming bloated and taking up UI space! :mad:

:getin:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I maintain to this day that Medieval 1 has the best strategic AI of the series. They've never gotten the AI to understand how to march armies on a map. If you haven't played Medieval 1, you owe it to yourself to try it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Think more counterintuitively.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

You must have missed the part were DDRJake recently run into Ming tributaries in one of his games and realized it might be broken, 3 months after everyone said it's broken.

Considering how he seemed to clearly know to look for it and said "nah, I probably shouldn't," I'm pretty sure it was more of a "we should really get around to fixing that" thing than a "Huh, I never realized that!" thing. Though I might be misremembering and don't really feel like looking it up to check.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Nice!

I got to make a some of the tiles for the revamped RNW generator in EU4, and that was really fun. A couple of the biggest ones are just several maps of Michigan smashed together, like

No matter how much the RNW system gets knocked on, I'm still happy that I got to add a bit to the game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think new RNW could still be really good if they just add a bunch more tiles, it's a shame only a handful more have been added.

Incidentally, how did you deal with the heightmaps and colormaps for those? Did you find that online or is there a good way to make it yourself? I've been doing a mod with a new map and I ended up going with a weird projection (incidentally, do not do this), but since there aren't heightmaps or colormaps or river layouts or anything for it it's turned into a total pain in the rear end, at least with the way I've been trying to do it. It'd be nice if there turns out to be a better way and I'm just an idiot. Also you did After the End right? I know that's a goon project anyway.

as for how much you all owe me for your EU4 experience, I did a portrait mod that got added:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679184877&searchtext=

and a suggestion thread for an update for Korea when Mandate of Heaven was being developed:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-things.999622/

For all you offering suggestions and stuff, if you have something you really want changed, I really would recommend posting it in their suggestion forums. At least for EU4, they do read it, pretty much every thread. Doesn't mean it'll actually get added, but if you're civil and you time it right it could make an impact- mine got added in a week after I posted it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 31, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

Nice!

I got to make a some of the tiles for the revamped RNW generator in EU4, and that was really fun. A couple of the biggest ones are just several maps of Michigan smashed together, like

No matter how much the RNW system gets knocked on, I'm still happy that I got to add a bit to the game.

Cool, I need to go back to my tile mod. I think I was making too many at once and just burned out.

My biggest complaint about the RNW is that it just doesn't generate trade to Europe consistently enough. If I want to play colonial Britain and have the ai able to compete, is not unusual for me to have to generate four or five games to make sure I at least get trade flowing to Britain and Iberia. A game where no/ almost no trade flows to Europe would be an interesting outlier, but it happens WAY too often. I'd love to see a "force trade flow" option in generation.

That and the tendency for the RNW to wind up as nothing but scattered islands way too often. Again, they're should be an option to force at least one giant tile.

I'm sort of assuming their stats shoe it's unpopular, because they never really followed up with more tiles and enhancements. :smith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

Incidentally, how did you deal with the heightmaps and colormaps for those? Did you find that online or is there a good way to make it yourself?
The best part about making the RNW tiles was that there were no colormaps or normal height maps to worry about. That's all game-generated. When I found out those weren't necessary I wept with joy.

When the North American map was first made for AtE it was just cropped and resized NASA Blue Marble images and that was it. Shadeoses rendered the normal map based off the topography map, iirc, so I never had to fuss with that stuff much there either.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

is this really that surprising? this thread used to get tons of posts from them too but these days it's almost never. there are very legitimate criticisms of the games, many of which get glanced on from time to time, but holy poo poo are goons hostile these days and it's turned almost into an echo chamber. I wouldn't read it either it I were one of the devs.

also no offense to you; I don't agree with a lot of your suggestions but you do try to be constructive and civil. some other posters on the other hand... it really does piss me off, it's shut off a great channel for feedback and suggestions we used to have. but goons gotta goon I guess.

Well, i can only speak for myself, but i've been away for three months on vacation/parental leave..

While i've had a few tendencies to engage in flamewars in the past, i honestly do not get offended if someone dislike core aspects of any of our games. I still sometimes like to correct people when they are wrong.. https://xkcd.com/386/ is so important after all..

I dunno about the other pdxians.. wiz got a gf now, so probably less around. Dunno about the others..

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pdxjohan posted:

Well, i can only speak for myself, but i've been away for three months on vacation/parental leave..

While i've had a few tendencies to engage in flamewars in the past, i honestly do not get offended if someone dislike core aspects of any of our games. I still sometimes like to correct people when they are wrong.. https://xkcd.com/386/ is so important after all..

I dunno about the other pdxians.. wiz got a gf now, so probably less around. Dunno about the others..

Intolerable.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

YF-23 posted:

I have proposed a supercondensed batlle report popup as an option for eu4. Dlc locked of course.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's no longer one of us.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Johan, you are alright.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

pdxjohan posted:

I have proposed a supercondensed batlle report popup as an option for eu4. Dlc locked of course.

That's 90% of the 19.99EUR value right there.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

For all you offering suggestions and stuff, if you have something you really want changed, I really would recommend posting it in their suggestion forums. At least for EU4, they do read it, pretty much every thread. Doesn't mean it'll actually get added, but if you're civil and you time it right it could make an impact- mine got added in a week after I posted it.

This is so true. Its part of the designers worktasks to read through suggestions forums. Even if an idea is poo poo it sometimes makes us come up with something else.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ofaloaf posted:

AtE stuff

I just want to let you know that I have spent about 100x more time in After the End than I have in vanilla CK2. Something about being able to perform CK2 hijinks in my own neck of the woods really appeals to me, and the post-apoc flavor makes it even better. The only mod I've spent a comparable amount of time with is the ASoIaF mod, but I think them adding Essos ruined the appeal for me, so I just stick with AtE now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bgreman posted:

I just want to let you know that I have spent about 100x more time in After the End than I have in vanilla CK2. Something about being able to perform CK2 hijinks in my own neck of the woods really appeals to me, and the post-apoc flavor makes it even better. The only mod I've spent a comparable amount of time with is the ASoIaF mod, but I think them adding Essos ruined the appeal for me, so I just stick with AtE now.

I really need to check this out.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I really liked the mini-scenarios in HoI2. Have any modders released anything similar for HoI4?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I played a few of those mini scenarios co-op with a friend back in the day and it was pretty neat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I really need to check this out.

i haven't played vanilla ck2 in years, after the end is all i play. it probably matters more if you're a north american and you're disconnected from european history and geography anyway

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jeoh posted:

I really liked the mini-scenarios in HoI2. Have any modders released anything similar for HoI4?

Weren't those basically just pure wargame scenarios like any given Matrix game?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

GrossMurpel posted:

Weren't those basically just pure wargame scenarios like any given Matrix game?

They were fun because they usually had a more limited scope and neat trigger events/victory conditions (although they were occasionally broken; the Southern Conquests scenario for Japan comes to mind, as several events were impossible to trigger because they required owning inaccessible provinces), but the HoI2 system of moving units around isn't nearly as Groggy as most Matrix stuff.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the spanish civil war scenario had almost all of the full game poo poo unlocked apart from diplomacy I think.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

cool new Metroid game posted:

the spanish civil war scenario had almost all of the full game poo poo unlocked apart from diplomacy I think.

yeah there were a few of them like that. there was another Pacific War scenario where Japan got, like, 5 IC to use in a scenario based around the Solomons lasting two years, but could only get a decisive victory by taking a VP province on mainland Australia. As there was only one Australian beach province in the entire scenario, which would inevitably have 5+ divisions stacked on it, I was never able to get a DV for it because there wasn't enough IC (or close enough airfields, if I recall correctly) to build TAC bombers to run interdiction missions

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

The best part about making the RNW tiles was that there were no colormaps or normal height maps to worry about. That's all game-generated. When I found out those weren't necessary I wept with joy.

When the North American map was first made for AtE it was just cropped and resized NASA Blue Marble images and that was it. Shadeoses rendered the normal map based off the topography map, iirc, so I never had to fuss with that stuff much there either.

Just out of curiosity, are you still involved in AtE in some degree?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dont remember if this was from a mod but there was a 1948 arab-israeli war scenario in hoi2 that was really fun

e: maybe it was the suez crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont remember if this was from a mod but there was a 1948 arab-israeli war scenario in hoi2 that was really fun

e: maybe it was the suez crisis

Was that the one with the Israeli uber-divisions, and nothing but Arab cannon fodder?