Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"You are more than what you have become."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You stay. I go. No following.

gently caress so good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"Screw our country! I wanna live!"

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It's not a line, but I have always adored the look on Remy's face in Ratatouille when he gets an apology he never thought was coming, after he's already sold out his friend.

It's a look that juut says, 'I am such a piece of crap.'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Bob Hoskins is just perfect in that movie. He really sells that the toons are both believable and unbelievably annoying at the same time. Its great.

Also, I'm partial to the line "Oh my GOD ITS DIP!!!"

And what makes Jessica's line is that's about the only time she acts very Toon-ish, before then her motions while exaggerated could be any flesh and blood woman.

and yeah, Bob Hoskins did all sorts of little things to give the toons weight, including shaking the crate when the cuffs are being sawed to look like two people are jerking a chain around on it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
[quote="Calaveron" post="475851516"]
You stay. I go. No following.
[/quote

It's been ten years since I last saw it and I still tear up, dammit.

Other than that, and everything in Roger Rabbit;
"All hail the KING."
"You're a sad, strange little man."
"Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me. Believe in me that believes in you."
"THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK"

"One baby coming up! Incoming!

https://youtu.be/U9qlNfCrM50

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 29, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Pretty soon, no one will believe you even existed."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yeah, check the probate! Why, my Uncle Thumper had a problem with his probate, and he had to take these big pills, and drink lots of water.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Once, there was a suffering dreamland. I was born there."

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SolarFire2 posted:

It's not a line, but I have always adored the look on Remy's face in Ratatouille when he gets an apology he never thought was coming, after he's already sold out his friend.

It's a look that juut says, 'I am such a piece of crap.'

The character moments in Ratatouille are great. I really liked Anton Ego's review because it's credibly written well (unlike a lot of TV & Movie prose, where you just kinda have to take their word for it that they have good writing), and the voice acting along with it builds up to that enthusiasm for defending something new, that really sells his shift in attitude.

edit: I'll chuck it in here cause I like it, hopefully it's accurate

quote:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new: an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist *can* come from *anywhere*. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 29, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Do whole musical numbers count as line-readings, because I gotta say, even if the rest of the flick is kinda bog standard, I really dig Shelby Flint's performance of "The Journey" from The Rescuers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My7kP35acMQ

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Maluco Marinero posted:

The character moments in Ratatouille are great. I really liked Anton Ego's review because it's credibly written well (unlike a lot of TV & Movie prose, where you just kinda have to take their word for it that they have good writing), and the voice acting along with it builds up to that enthusiasm for defending something new, that really sells his shift in attitude.

I think the "But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so" line feels like an artist putting words in the mouth of a straw man (like, I don't think I could imagine Roger Ebert writing it), but the bit about how a great artist can come from anywhere is really beautiful.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I look away from this thread for a few goddamn days and you drive Hedrigall away? What the gently caress is wrong with this thread.

Also, I went to Disneyland and moved across the country and talking about cartoons is kind of my full time job now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the "But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so" line feels like an artist putting words in the mouth of a straw man (like, I don't think I could imagine Roger Ebert writing it), but the bit about how a great artist can come from anywhere is really beautiful.

I can agree yeah, but by the same token, character wise I'm sure he knew he was about to torpedo his career, so I can sort of believe him getting a bit meta. Besides, he's not wrong, and definitely criticism has a safe streak in it, I mean just look at the current state of film criticism, both written and in YouTube. Safe negativity is pretty much the standard, with praise reserved for safe consensus only.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

Bob Hoskins is just perfect in that movie. He really sells that the toons are both believable and unbelievably annoying at the same time. Its great.

Its such a strange movie.

The scene in the theater with him telling Roger how he lost his brother should have gotten him an Oscar.

It's one of those films that gets better with every viewing. I love how it's almost 30 years old and the effects and animation still look incredible.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DC Murderverse posted:

His mom's ratatouille would qualify as an average piece of junk to anyone else.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Maluco Marinero posted:

I love how he takes the reveal, too. At first he thinks it's a joke but after what'shisface and Janeane Garofalo explain the situation his calm, muted reaction and polite thanks for the meal really sell his character, when situations like that would usually involve the character freaking the gently caress out leaving in a huff and then just writing the review like whatever

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

For all his bitterness, Ego does have a genuine passion for food, and the fact that he's able to put this passion ahead of his prejudice redeems him in the end.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Unmature posted:

Also, I went to Disneyland and moved across the country and talking about cartoons is kind of my full time job now.
Congratulations on the new job unless this is one of those 'I got fired/ran out of town and I guess my hobby is my job now' things.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Crazy Ferret posted:

Its such a strange movie.

I yell "THAT'S IT! THAT'S THE CONNECTION!" all the time. Bob Hoskins really did an incredible job in all parts of that role.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really don't think the movie would've done as well if it was anyone else playing Eddie Valiant

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Robindaybird posted:

I really don't think the movie would've done as well if it was anyone else playing Eddie Valiant

The funny part is the number of people who declined the role are all over the place. Eddie Murphy declined the movie and later regretted it. Bill Murray said he would of done it if it had been offered to him. Harrison Ford was too expensive but was the first choice. Who knows how accurate this kind of information is regarding casting for a movie is though.

Still, I can't really see anyone else doing it. Hoskins brings a serious element that was desperately needed to balance out the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh man. Hoskins was absolutely the best choice among all those people.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Congratulations on the new job unless this is one of those 'I got fired/ran out of town and I guess my hobby is my job now' things.

Thanks. Nah, I quit the best job I've ever had to move for what I hope will be the new best job I've ever had. Can't officially announce it yet, but will soon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh man. Hoskins was absolutely the best choice among all those people.

Absolutely

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Can you imagine how much of a loving mess it would have been if they had Ford sleep walking through it like he's done in every movie since Last Crusade?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. He can't sell bewildered the way Hoskins did.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Can you imagine how much of a loving mess it would have been if they had Ford sleep walking through it like he's done in every movie since Last Crusade?

Sleepy grandpa bouncing on a pogo stick while singing rhymes about balls.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well if you loved Bob Hoskins in that role then do I have some excellent and not at all ghoulish news for you: Robert Zemeckis announced last year that they're planning on bringing him back for the sequel!! Even though he died!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Why? They would do far better making it a prequel like a lot of rumors had been floating around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I've been reading up on all the scripts thanks to a question in a different thread and some of them are pretty crazy. One of the first idea was for Roger & co to go fight the Nazis in WW2 and Spielberg was all "Uhhhh I just did this thing called Schindler's List and I don't think a wacky animated WW2 movie would be a good look for me right now ...."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well if you loved Bob Hoskins in that role then do I have some excellent and not at all ghoulish news for you: Robert Zemeckis announced last year that they're planning on bringing him back for the sequel!! Even though he died!

I am completely on board with this, on the condition that Bob Hoskins is diegetically a horrifying CGI ghoul.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's part of why the bad guys in Crystal Skull are commies, he went the route of not doing comedy/light-hearted adventure stuff with Nazis to not downplay how horrific they were.

and you got on the other spectrum Mel Brooks making them as ridiculous as possible to make sure no one goes 'hey, they're kinda cool', neither take is wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

It's part of why the bad guys in Crystal Skull are commies, he went the route of not doing comedy/light-hearted adventure stuff with Nazis to not downplay how horrific they were.

and you got on the other spectrum Mel Brooks making them as ridiculous as possible to make sure no one goes 'hey, they're kinda cool', neither take is wrong.

Still probably one of Brooks' greatest works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I've been reading up on all the scripts thanks to a question in a different thread and some of them are pretty crazy. One of the first idea was for Roger & co to go fight the Nazis in WW2 and Spielberg was all "Uhhhh I just did this thing called Schindler's List and I don't think a wacky animated WW2 movie would be a good look for me right now ...."

Toons not having any desire and/or ability to hurt people, leaving them as medics and mess cooks and general support positions is such a cool idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Digital Bob Hoskins sorta makes him the toon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with a Roger Rabbit sequel is that there's not really any practical way to do traditional animation on that scale anymore. Looney Tunes: Back in Action has some great animation (supervised by Eric Goldberg), but it still required the use of South Korean studios.

Though, it would at least be interesting if they set the sequel in the late 50s/early 60s and took an angle on cartoon studios shutting down for television. Maybe go into the dumbing down of animation and the switch to cheaper work like Hanna-Barbera and Jay Ward.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Egbert Souse posted:

The problem with a Roger Rabbit sequel is that there's not really any practical way to do traditional animation on that scale anymore. Looney Tunes: Back in Action has some great animation (supervised by Eric Goldberg), but it still required the use of South Korean studios.

Though, it would at least be interesting if they set the sequel in the late 50s/early 60s and took an angle on cartoon studios shutting down for television.

Have the toons speak Korean when they're not on the clock.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

A Roger rabbits sequel set in Modern times where all your favorite CGI, tween motion and anime characters are around! Money shot scenes where Family guy's Peter Griffin and The Simpsons Homer duke out! or The Minions are the bad guys flunkies! or Goku teaming up with Roger rabbit or- :shepicide:

I'm perfectly fine with Roger rabbit not having any sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's also important to note that WFRR is really a neo-noir above anything else.