Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

He does suck since he coached along using an insanely broken style of martial arts, happened to find a world class gunpla by accident and pulled abilities like assimilation out of his rear end.

rear end lamination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God I forgot about assimilation. They put it in to try to raise the stakes but fell well short of like the Sei/Reiji vs Fellini fight because there was zero emotion or attachment in any Try fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Worst character would have to be Katz.

I'm glad Katz is dead. Give me back Emma, you gently caress. I don't care whether or not you're responsible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's hard to be just a casual fan of Gundam if your starting show mech is some GM build even I haven't heard before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It's hard to be just a casual fan of Gundam if your starting show mech is some GM build even I haven't heard before.

The GM Powered is from 0083 so it's not actually that obscure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The GM Powered is from 0083 so it's not actually that obscure.

I think when you're arguing that a grunt-suit variant piloted by a swiftly-killed extra in one episode of an early Nineties OVA isn't obscure, you need to pull back and recalibrate a little.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I think when you're arguing that a grunt-suit variant piloted by a swiftly-killed extra in one episode of an early Nineties OVA isn't obscure, you need to pull back and recalibrate a little.

This is the franchise where the G-Saviour showed up! It's relative.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

[Principal Skinner dressed as Bright voice]:

Am I so out of touch? No, it's the Newtypes who are wrong.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I dunno. All i watched was 08th MS team, and Gundam Wing, so i think i'm going to get poo poo on if i say anything.

I think every one of those boys that piloted the gundam wings were awful, with maybe Quatre being the worst and Duo Maxwell being the least.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Always and forever I will hate Monsha and pretend he got completely ruined by Kamille. But if we have to go with mains, it's definitely Wufei. Wufei brings down a generally good cast and that's Wing's biggest fault for me bizzare plot and all.

I also really didn't like Lacus or Kira much. At some point I'll rewatch Seed and I can definitely see myself changing my mind on Lacus but not Kira.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I dunno. All i watched was 08th MS team, and Gundam Wing, so i think i'm going to get poo poo on if i say anything.

I think every one of those boys that piloted the gundam wings were awful, with maybe Quatre being the worst and Duo Maxwell being the least.

That's the correct reaction to have to Gundam Wing if you're not drunk on nostalgia (or literally drunk, if you're doing a drinking game)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Good news they're re dubbing seed

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Xarbala posted:

That's the correct reaction to have to Gundam Wing if you're not drunk on nostalgia (or literally drunk, if you're doing a drinking game)

That's the thing, I am looking back on it nostalgically. I haven't watched it since I was a kid, and I remember I was bloodthirsty for some endless robot pilot war.

I may have started watching it for the wrong reasons, but I appreciated some of the anti-war stuff they were doing. Even then, Quatre was completely insufferable, with Heero ranking above him by virtue of the fact that he barely talked. Trowa was about the same as Heero, with Wu Fei coming up second to Duo.

Fun fact though, I started watching gundam wing RIGHT on the episode after when Quatre finally snapped. He got his hands on the prototype zero and blew up a colony or something, I thought he was becoming my favorite character, and when the reruns happened, I changed my tune real quickly.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 31, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to question the opinions and moral standing of anyone who likes Wufei. The entire rest of the cast of Wing is good, with Treize and Relena being the best.

And it still amuses me that Relena's dub VA is also two later captain moms and I can't believe the BF dub hosed up that joke with Sei's mom.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

I'm kind of weird because :words:

Droyer, you're weird for a lot of reasons

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer is a good lad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tae posted:

Good news they're re dubbing seed

Bad news is its not ocean or blue water. I like the new company that has done unicorn and onwards, but ocean and Gundam dubs are one and the same for me.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

From a critical perspective Wing is definitely a mess and the middle space sections get laggy but I still really like it. What it really needed was a good sense of editing and including important backstory things to fill up plot holes or make me give a gently caress about Wufe (hey bro sorry about your dead wife who was supposed to be a Gundam pilot instead of you). I may have some nostalgia for it but I would have given up Gundam because I haaaated 0083 and it was one the first one I saw before Wing (you can also include G Gundam and 0080 here).

My deeply unpopular Wing opinion is that I am decidedly meh on Duo. He's not terrible but becoming one of Gundam's worst dads didn't come out of nowhere to me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

chumbler posted:

I have to question the opinions and moral standing of anyone who likes Wufei. The entire rest of the cast of Wing is good, with Treize and Relena being the best.

And it still amuses me that Relena's dub VA is also two later captain moms and I can't believe the BF dub hosed up that joke with Sei's mom.

Like i said, in rank of worst to least worst, that'd be Quatre, Heero, Trowa, Wu Fei, Duo. None of them were my favorite, but I disliked Duo Maxwell the least.

On the topic of supporting characters, I think Treize was pretty good, but Relena was fuckin' hopeless. Lady Un was something else for me. I thought maybe getting shot and surviving would maybe make you reflect on some life choices, but didn't she lose her memory and was suddenly goody two shoes?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Like i said, in rank of worst to least worst, that'd be Quatre, Heero, Trowa, Wu Fei, Duo. None of them were my favorite, but I disliked Duo Maxwell the least.

On the topic of supporting characters, I think Treize was pretty good, but Relena was fuckin' hopeless. Lady Un was something else for me. I thought maybe getting shot and surviving would maybe make you reflect on some life choices, but didn't she lose her memory and was suddenly goody two shoes?

She lost her memories for a period and acted super anime good, then got them back and was a more complete character than "incredible piece of poo poo/pure angle free of sin"

Wufei is pretty much the worst. He's a very one note dumpster boy. Not that you should change your mind, but you're like 180 from the general sentiment.

I always liked heero for not giving any fucks. Duo was cool when I was a kid cuz he was basically a cool guy so that was kind of the point. I thought trowa was sorta lame, and I always liked quatre because his good guy routine got flipped when he lost his noodles and for a middle schooler that was pretty intense.

I think Relena is pretty funny in light of the alternate takes everyone on the forums has of her, but I remember in the early 2000s her being truly despised by most of the fan community of the time and it rubbed off a little (guys hated her for being 'irrational and a pacifist and blah blah blah' and most women fans seemed to hate her especially and most of the female characters for getting in the way of their OTPs)

I always had a soft spot for Noin, though in hindsight she's written pretty weakly.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 31, 2017

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

No, Lady Une got split personalities because of Treize basically. It required her going out to fight while in "pacifist" mode, nearly getting killed by a giant space cannon, and getting saved by Zechs to snap out of it. She gets shot by a Romafeller dude after releasing Wufei and Duo from the Moon base's dungeon. After she wakes up from a coma she steals the abandonded original Wing Gundam and pushes Treize out of the way of Libra's main cannon to save him from getting obliterated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never watched Wing. All the people who recommended it to me were people whose opinions on quality anime that I did not remotely trust.

(Then again, I was an anime hipster well into my early 20s :j: )

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My thing is that I completely, unironically, love Wing. Do I think it's the best? Definitely no. I get why people don't like it but gosh darn it I sincerely love my dumb gay Gundam show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My thing is that I completely, unironically, love Wing. Do I think it's the best? Definitely no. I get why people don't like it but gosh darn it I sincerely love my dumb gay Gundam show.

Same.

Wing was Gundam for me for a long time. The UC OVAs that popped up on toonami did a lot for me, but it wasn't until I watched CCA that it clicked for real.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wing was actually my first viewing of Gundam and I'm sad to say that the first episode did not put me on a good foot. First time around I saw it and figured that the show was going to be more high school bullshit where heero was secretly fighting a war between classes, so I turned it off and watched other shows instead, thinking I'd dodged a bullet.

Then after watching a few UC OVAs I came back to Wing and realized I was a fool for stopping at episode one, because immediately after ep.1 the show went completely insane and stayed that way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked wing a lot as a kid but found it pretty hard to watch when I tried going back to it

the hilariously stupid dub is the sole reason to stick with it for me

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like, Build Fighters is my favorite Gundam series. It was the only one I watched excitedly from week to week, without letting there be huge lulls in between, and I still go back to it whenever I want to feel better sometimes because it's just so drat joyous.

But regardless of nothing Mao just turns into a caricature by the last third of it and honestly he doesn't deserve a lot of the second chances Misaki gives him.

I know Try is full of problems, but criticizing an aspect of BF doesn't need to prompt an immediate response of "Uhm, this thing from Try was actually much worse". I know that show had significant issues. I know it's worse than BF. But I'm not trying to talk about Try.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To go back a bit, I think one of the reasons I couldn't get into IBO is that I had too high expectations. I basically wanted a Gundam version of this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like, Build Fighters is my favorite Gundam series. It was the only one I watched excitedly from week to week, without letting there be huge lulls in between, and I still go back to it whenever I want to feel better sometimes because it's just so drat joyous.

But regardless of nothing Mao just turns into a caricature by the last third of it and honestly he doesn't deserve a lot of the second chances Misaki gives him.

I know Try is full of problems, but criticizing an aspect of BF doesn't need to prompt an immediate response of "Uhm, this thing from Try was actually much worse". I know that show had significant issues. I know it's worse than BF. But I'm not trying to talk about Try.
The difference between BF and Try is that BF has all the problems of something that has been made almost completely without editor supervision. Everyone was SUPER hype to make this crazy dumb show and Sunrise didn't care as long as it sold toys. Then it was such a hit that Try happened. And at least, to me, a lot of what was wrong with Try, I could pin on there being some more serious oversight going on. (But then there's stuff like Fumina wearing a skin-tight two piece for half the series, which is just pure :japan:, so who knows. )

I still prefer GBF, though, it definitely feels a lot more classic and timeless. Try feels like a sequel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay but... that isn't really what I was trying to say.

I get all that.

I just wish I'd be able to talk about something that bothered me like everyone else in the thread was doing without "hey, have you considered that this other thing is in fact worse?" BF had issues of its own and isn't beyond reproach, and I'm not trying to defend Try by saying that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fair. Let me try that again.

I would watch an entire series just about Ricardo Fenice and Greco Logan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Fair. Let me try that again.

I would watch an entire series just about Ricardo Fenice and Greco Logan.

This but Mihoshi instead of Greco Logan. He can make cameos from time to time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Okay but... that isn't really what I was trying to say.

I get all that.

I just wish I'd be able to talk about something that bothered me like everyone else in the thread was doing without "hey, have you considered that this other thing is in fact worse?" BF had issues of its own and isn't beyond reproach, and I'm not trying to defend Try by saying that.

I agree that BF's flaws tend to be overlooked because Try was so much worse, and I can think of one flaw in Build FIghters that was genuinely improved in Try: Meijin Kawaguchi III went from a very bland and uninteresting Char to a giant ham that made every scene better by his presence alone, turned Yuuma from a lame tryhard into a very enjoyable guy (thus making Sekai the only truly terrible part of the protagonist team), and just kind of improved the series itself the moment he set foot on it, as if he brought BF's cheer with him into the dread of Try.

It didn't save the series, but at least I could watch every Meijin scene with a dumb smile on my face. He just bored me in Build Fighters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's still really more of the same thing, but in reverse.

Just. I don't know. Mao actually seemed fairly interesting in his initial appearance and the rest of the show just kind of squanders it. He has good Gunpla, but that only applies as far as mecha design goes. His rivalry with Sei really peters out, and after that all you're left with is a bunch of tired anime pervert jokes and a story where he gets the girl despite him trying to push her into something she doesn't want before, and that just makes his character extremely tedious and scummy in a show where everyone is otherwise stellar.

And he doesn't get to contribute to the plot in a significant way like Nils does, so he doesn't even have that going for him, and Misaki doesn't have anywhere near as much character as China, Caroline, or Aila, so there's just no chemistry at all there and all you get from it is a story that's kind of an unfortunate one.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 31, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

... like, you guys do get that he *doesn't* want Try brought up every single time BF is mentioned?

Like, if someone wanted to have a discussion about Star Wars Ep IV and every vaguely negative comment was responded to "bbut phantom menace"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You really only have to look at Mao's fight in the OAV to get a distilled version of why he's the shittiest character in the original BF. The fact that his fight is the one that got smashed with the budget stick in the original show only kinda underlines that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mao would have been a better character if they cut out more character traits and had him entirely focused on 'I will make bigger cannons until my Gundam IS a cannon.'

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

Mao would have been a better character if they cut out more character traits and had him entirely focused on 'I will make bigger cannons until my Gundam IS a cannon.'

This sounds like the exact kind of thing I expect from the Gunpla Shingyo School.

Sadly, it ultimately doesn't matter because his character is bad anime tropes. He isn't MHA's Mineta but he isn't enjoyable either. Which is sad because, as I said in a previous post, he has very good taste in Gundams.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Never enuff dakka.

Edit Dammit, now I wanna make a custom build Gunpla with a Crossbone Maoh torso, Heavy Arms... well, arms, and every possible gun and weapon attachment you can stick on a Gunpla.

Edit2 Goddammit, Sochie.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Shino... Shino's a guy in the wrong genre. He's a super robot pilot. Thinks as little as possible, yells as loud as possible, a friend to all except the enemy who he can kill without regret, blindly oblivious to his obvious love interest. He's innocent in a weird way most of Tekkadan pointedly isn't.

Huh, that's actually a pretty good point. I was too focused on how he was aping other people's thing that I missed that. The only Gundam character I know with a similar deal was Katz, and look how that turned out. :v: I still don't like him, but now I really need to make time for S2 after reading yours and ImpAtom's spoilers. :laffo:

And I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Frost Brothers yet.

Regarding Mao, I feel like the writers added him so that Sei would realize he can get creative with Gunplas. And now that Sei's made progress, they don't know how to improve on Mao without making Sei look like a chump at building creative Gunpla. He's basically a prop for Sei to look better.

Really, they should have went full-ham with Mao and his builds. Give us Heavymoon Gundam who shoots Satellite Cannons out of its every surface, give us Nobeargguy Gundam and punish you in the name of the moon.