Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Zeris posted:

facebook is turning into a roll call of suicides by guys i deployed with

thank god we have the sad smiley face now

like and share if you agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
gently caress NTC and whoever decided that the taint between the Mojave and Death Valley was a good place for anyone to do anything.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

gently caress NTC and whoever decided that the taint between the Mojave and Death Valley was a good place for anyone to do anything.

Hahahahahaha

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Dear LiveJournal,

A Bad Poster posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
NIMBY is a hell of a drug

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I have an extra vertebrae as well and am also left handed and double jointed maybe I should be a circus performer

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

I'll be there with you on Wednesday

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

A Bad Poster posted:

Mustang posted:

I'll be there with you on Wednesday

Welcome!

I pick up my DD214 on Friday. Enjoy Satan's Taint, suckas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

What's your back injury? I've got a compression injury and reverse hyper has changed my life.

I don't. Leg problems.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

A Bad Poster posted:

Praise the sun!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey gently caress the army forever

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

NTC was so goddamn stupid

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

loving NCOERs. 90% of the ones that come through me either the rated soldier or rater is in a school somewhere which makes getting these things done a pain in the rear end.

On top of the million other things I have to do and the near constant stream of people coming to my office about some kind of bullshit

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

loving NCOERs. 90% of the ones that come through me either the rated soldier or rater is in a school somewhere which makes getting these things done a pain in the rear end.

On top of the million other things I have to do and the near constant stream of people coming to my office about some kind of bullshit

AV makes the post

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Just don't shoot up any PT formations champ

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Just don't shoot up any PT formations champ
Hey, psst. Wear your PT belt to work tomorrow.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Those aren't the ones that get sent back for wording.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Ahahaha. Did a rotation earlier this summer, I have never been happier to be done with anything in the Army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

This bus ride to NTC seemed to be going by quick since I just sleep between each stop. Not even out of Oregon yet. gently caress

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Ahahaha dude that is gonna be a looong ride.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

At least you're on a bus. My last convoy from FTIG to Ft Pickett took 16 hours. Lewis to Irwin would suuuuuuuuuck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mustang, don't worry, the Army has prioritized using all the money it's not spending on COIN on spending more money sending BCTs to NTC and JRTC more often, get some.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I finally found something I miss about the army.

It's easy to find someone to commiserate with. Everyone has experienced suck in the army. I was never especially close to most of my peers (I only talk to 3-4 of them now that I'm out), but even just "work buddies" would be there for you.

Now the closest thing I have are either the handful of friends scattered across the country or you fuckers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

All my LT buds are either out of the Army or have left the unit. So I pretty much just stay with my Platoon unless I have to go off and do something else

My PSG and squad leaders are great dudes and it's going to suck when I have to leave

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

All my LT buds are either out of the Army or have left the unit.

How are a bunch of LTs already out of the Army, unless they were on 3-5 contracts and got out exactly at the 3-4 year mark? Or got booted. It's kind of hard to get out as a 1LT unless you don't make CPT somehow.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

OCS only has 3.5 year contracts, one got a waiver and the others are recently promoted CPTs that I'm not sure if they needed a waiver to get out. But I know it's definitely not hard to get out if you really want to. Next summer will be another crop of 1LTs and new CPTs getting out

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

At least you're on a bus. My last convoy from FTIG to Ft Pickett took 16 hours. Lewis to Irwin would suuuuuuuuuck.

Fort Leonard Wood to Fort Sam. on a bus.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

How are a bunch of LTs already out of the Army, unless they were on 3-5 contracts and got out exactly at the 3-4 year mark? Or got booted. It's kind of hard to get out as a 1LT unless you don't make CPT somehow.

I knew guys who refused promotion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I knew a guy who went to OCS in the Guard without a degree, the deal being "finish your degree in four years or we take your commission."

Considering you had to be halfway to a degree to qualify, it was an achievement when he lost his commission.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I knew guys who refused promotion.

lol there's literally no reason to refuse CPT. No service obligation, you get more money, even if you're out the very next month. There are reasons to refuse schools or higher ranks if you want to get out.

McNally posted:

I knew a guy who went to OCS in the Guard without a degree, the deal being "finish your degree in four years or we take your commission."

Considering you had to be halfway to a degree to qualify, it was an achievement when he lost his commission.

Ha, saw one of those. He somehow got blindsided when he met with his academic planner about 2 months before the due date and realized he couldn't finish the last 4 classes in 8 weeks, off-cycle from his college.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I finally found something I miss about the army.

It's easy to find someone to commiserate with. Everyone has experienced suck in the army. I was never especially close to most of my peers (I only talk to 3-4 of them now that I'm out), but even just "work buddies" would be there for you.

Now the closest thing I have are either the handful of friends scattered across the country or you fuckers.

VFW and the American Legion are things that exist and are good places to hang out.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I was doing one of those leader developemnt tasks. The one where a trailer only has one wheel and you have to move it round a course using a pole and some rope.

Right next to the course was a civvy prison. I looked over into the netting and thought "If any prisoners in there can see us, they must be laughing like hell. They don't have to worry about carrying a trailer on a hot day in your rain gear. None of them even going to have to exert themselces today. They aren't loving up their back or joints with heavy loads all the time, getting smoked for PT or walk 3km between stands that are 800m apart. Today, I'd rather be in prison."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
my R&R ended such that I flew out of ATL back to theater while watching July 4 fireworks out the window as we lifted off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Fort Leonard Wood to Fort Sam. on a bus.

Oh man, I would have just killed myself with drugs or beer.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

my R&R ended such that I flew out of ATL back to theater while watching July 4 fireworks out the window as we lifted off.

I got pulled over three times on R and R because the cops in my old town were cancer. I also went to a liquor store and bought a bottle of Jack, and the lady at the desk was all "military huh?" when I showed her my ID. Told her I was on R and R from Iraq and was only gonna be home for a week or so. She goes "alright, well next time you see Obama over there, give him a shot or two for me!" I didn't know what to say, still don't.

Like what?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Soulex posted:

I got pulled over three times on R and R because the cops in my old town were cancer. I also went to a liquor store and bought a bottle of Jack, and the lady at the desk was all "military huh?" when I showed her my ID. Told her I was on R and R from Iraq and was only gonna be home for a week or so. She goes "alright, well next time you see Obama over there, give him a shot or two for me!" I didn't know what to say, still don't.

Like what?
:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

Like what?

I liked coming home the weeks following the election, and people expecting me to have a political commiseration over Trump's victory in my uniform because our command insisted we be in loving uniform.

Like I tried to stay non committal and optimistic, but eventually had to loving say something like, "You know not everyone in the military votes Republican.'