Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect posted:

I also never read Kickers, Inc.

nooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

You should probably stop posting and get her to a doctor if reading more than a sentence of text gives here that much trouble.

Tbf the entirety of the second paragraph only has one

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dillbag posted:

Tbf the entirety of the second paragraph only has one
This is solid feedback, I tweaked it so it has three sentences so as to avoid causing any more brain problems on girlfriends that wander by.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Is/was there really any meaningful impact to Nextwave being canon/writers acknowledging it exists outside of people writing Machine Man as Bender?

You're right that there probably isn't a shadow war at Marvel between writers and editorial. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there isn't any impact to having Nextwave be canon but maybe people are just happy because a mini they liked is being referenced after they were previously told it wasn't canon. I know you hate Nextwave with a passion so maybe this concept just makes no sense, but substitute Nextwave for an enjoyable mini of your choosing and decide whether or not it would bring you a modicum of happiness seeing it referenced in a "main" book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TwoPair posted:

You're right that there probably isn't a shadow war at Marvel between writers and editorial. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there isn't any impact to having Nextwave be canon but maybe people are just happy because a mini they liked is being referenced after they were previously told it wasn't canon. I know you hate Nextwave with a passion so maybe this concept just makes no sense, but substitute Nextwave for an enjoyable mini of your choosing and decide whether or not it would bring you a modicum of happiness seeing it referenced in a "main" book.
I was responding (and I let it sit in a tab for too long) specifically to CapnAndy's assertion that there WAS a shadow war because of the overwhelming love and desire of writers to use Nextwave characters. I should have quoted it in my first post.

CapnAndy posted:

Nextwave was declared non-canonical as soon as it came out, but the problem rapidly became that all of Marvel's writers had loved it just as much as all of the fans did, and they just flat ignored editorial and put the Nextwave versions of those characters into their comics and referenced it like it'd happened. So you ended up with a rebellion from the ground up that eventually ended when editorial went "okay fine, HATE captured those five and put them in a weird simulator they escaped from, now you can use Nextwave stuff and we don't have to deal with the weird continuity that'd exist if any of that stuff actually happened".
Nextwave ended in January 2007, and Bender Machine Man popped up in August 2007. That's not a super long time to wait, and it's great if you are happy to see things you liked referenced in other books. It's really silly to frame it as some sort of shadow war fought with overwhelming passion when actually Nextwave characters/characterization seems to pop up every few months starting six months after the series ended. It's great for people to enjoy seeing it every time, but it's not some sort of War that has been won.

The New Universe (which I also don't really care about) got cancelled in 1989. It was nearly twenty-five years between that and Hickman (and Ewing) reintroducing New Universe concepts, and in that time NU fans got a couple issues of Quasar, a quartet of one-shots, and a complete revamping that was cut short when Warren Ellis got bored or distracted had his laptop die on him. If you liked Blue Marvel, there was a five year gap between his mini-series and him showing up in Ewing's Avengers. Bandit popped up in Ewing's Contest of Champions and USAvengers about two years ago, after having not appeared since 1994. Any joy anyone gets (or doesn't get) from any of these characters coming back is all well and good, it's really only Nextwave fans (or Nextwave fans on Batman's Shameful Secret) who treat it as part of a grand culture war.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Edge & Christian posted:

I was responding (and I let it sit in a tab for too long) specifically to CapnAndy's assertion that there WAS a shadow war because of the overwhelming love and desire of writers to use Nextwave characters. I should have quoted it in my first post.
Nextwave ended in January 2007, and Bender Machine Man popped up in August 2007. That's not a super long time to wait, and it's great if you are happy to see things you liked referenced in other books. It's really silly to frame it as some sort of shadow war fought with overwhelming passion when actually Nextwave characters/characterization seems to pop up every few months starting six months after the series ended. It's great for people to enjoy seeing it every time, but it's not some sort of War that has been won.

The New Universe (which I also don't really care about) got cancelled in 1989. It was nearly twenty-five years between that and Hickman (and Ewing) reintroducing New Universe concepts, and in that time NU fans got a couple issues of Quasar, a quartet of one-shots, and a complete revamping that was cut short when Warren Ellis got bored or distracted had his laptop die on him. If you liked Blue Marvel, there was a five year gap between his mini-series and him showing up in Ewing's Avengers. Bandit popped up in Ewing's Contest of Champions and USAvengers about two years ago, after having not appeared since 1994. Any joy anyone gets (or doesn't get) from any of these characters coming back is all well and good, it's really only Nextwave fans (or Nextwave fans on Batman's Shameful Secret) who treat it as part of a grand culture war.

Don't forget Ares and Night Thrasher if we're listing "Cool characters Ewing brought back".

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

KaosMachina posted:

Don't forget Ares and Night Thrasher if we're listing "Cool characters Ewing brought back".

Well then here's a question for this thread: when was Night Thrasher ever cool?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What was the deal of New Universe? I'm not a marvel fan but I seem to remember hearing that it was Marvel's attempt to do relevant comics in the 80s and failing spectacularly. Is this accurate?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Madkal posted:

What was the deal of New Universe? I'm not a marvel fan but I seem to remember hearing that it was Marvel's attempt to do relevant comics in the 80s and failing spectacularly. Is this accurate?

I've always heard it was Marvel's effort to create a comics world governed by "real science" (or as close to plausible science as superhero comics could be). That idea kinda faded with time however, until the New Universe was just a different comic book world with characters less interesting than those in the original Marvel U. At that point it was superfluous and thus killed off.

(Cue corrections from more knowledgeable comic geeks.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ecavalli posted:

I've always heard it was Marvel's effort to create a comics world governed by "real science" (or as close to plausible science as superhero comics could be). That idea kinda faded with time however, until the New Universe was just a different comic book world with characters less interesting than those in the original Marvel U. At that point it was superfluous and thus killed off.

Here's a decent listicle on it
http://www.cbr.com/11-reasons-marvels-new-universe-failed/

quote:

But Shooter’s reputation didn’t exactly help the project; he was hated by many people inside Marvel. After he was fired, Marvel artist and writer John Byrne held a party at his house where disgruntled employees literally burned Shooter in effigy, stuffing the dummy with unsold New Universe comic books. Byrne also used “Star Brand” to destroy Shooter’s beloved Pittsburgh.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: In 1985 Marvel was doing fairly well, and were owned by a company called Cadence Industries who went to Jim Shooter and essentially suggested in honor of their 25th Anniversary in 1986, and because DC was getting some mainstream attention for Crisis on Infinite Earths, Marvel should do some sort of big event where they cancel everything, reboot the universe, and start fresh with a new Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1, Captain America #1. It was basically the same pitch that actually worked about twenty-five years later for the Ultimate Universe, except that in 2000 they didn't cancel the regular line to do it.

Jim Shooter did not like this idea, so he counter-pitched keeping the Marvel Universe running as it was, but instead to launch a NEW Universe that was in the spirit of the 1960s Lee/Kirby/Ditko books, where the story started right in 1986 without aliens or secret civilizations or any sort of complicated backstory, just "relevant" heroes doing realistic stuff that happened in real time. The then-VP of Marvel signed off on this about a year out, and they started doing mysterious hype ads for it.

Meanwhile Cadence Industries went bankrupt and sold Marvel off to (coincidentally) a company called New World Pictures. This was all happening right as Shooter and some editors were starting to do kind of a cattle call of "top creators" to pitch titles for The New Universe. Basically between conception and the final solicitations Shooter says that the budget to "develop" the New Universe went from $120,000 to under $20,000 and consequently they couldn't hire anyone particularly popular or good, and also the lead time to really put things together shrank as they kept being told to scale things back or hold off on this or that as the sale went through and the budget kept shrinking.

But still, almost a year out they had hyped that THE NEW UNIVERSE WAS COMING and they had to do something. So they did the New Universe books that you actually came out, which were generally pretty lovely. They were also mostly written (allegedly for no pay) by Shooter and other editors, and the art was mostly people who either already worked for Marvel in production or people pulled off of the slush pile of submissions that no 'real' books snapped up. Granted, this means that you get some (very, very) early artwork by Todd McFarlane, Ron Lim, Mark Texiera, Whilce Portacio, Lee Weeks, and others. It also was the first real writing work some staffers like Fabian Nicieza and Peter David got, too.

But in general, the New Universe was thrown together with no money as an afterthought by mostly names no one knew or cared about after a year of enormous hype, and it bombed badly. It probably played a significant role in Jim Shooter being forced out of Marvel in 1987, at which point John Byrne gleefully took a paycut to take over Star Brand (the ostensible flagship line of the Universe) which Shooter had written, and immediately have the semi-Shooter-self-insert character gently caress up and nuke his/Shooter's hometown of Pittsburgh, which led to a bunch of weird stuff that led to them shuttering the whole line about a year later.

So being underfunded and thrown together mortally wounded the New Universe, but John Byrne being a vindictive prick probably was the killing blow.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 30, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ferrule posted:

Original Nicieza New Warriors.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
You mean when he was "Batman, but if Alfred killed the Waynes"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ferrule posted:

Always.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Of course Night Thrasher is cool. Either he's thrashing during the night, which is super rad, or he's thrashing the night itself, which is wicked sick. Or both! Which is bitchin'!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know how you can't think Night Thrasher isn't cool.

He has a skateboard.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I don't know how you can't think Night Thrasher isn't cool.

He has a skateboard.

Dwayne McDuffie might disagree.

http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-138/

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Exactly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I was waiting for that to come up as soon as Night Thrasher got brought up.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I was waiting for that to come up as soon as Night Thrasher got brought up.

I'm just happy to have an excuse to highlight this story once again. It's like Kirby vs The Mob or any story involving Steranko's life; too good not to pass down through the generations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ecavalli posted:

I'm just happy to have an excuse to highlight this story once again. It's like Kirby vs The Mob or any story involving Steranko's life; too good not to pass down through the generations.

That was not meant to be a complaint, it's probably my second favorite comic book story after Jack Kirby killing Nazis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even though Kirkman's work is not very good, I still highly value the story of how he basically tricked Image into letting him do The Walking Dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Even though Kirkman's work is not very good, I still highly value the story of how he basically tricked Image into letting him do The Walking Dead.

I don't know that one, although I'm betting Image is probably pretty happy they fell for that trick now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ecavalli posted:

In a way, Jim Shooter succeeded at this with the original Valiant universe. His version of Dr. Solar and so on were better takes on this idea than the New Universe comics.

Lurdiak posted:

Was this also the time when he tricked Tony Moore out of his rightful share of money for co-creating the Walking Dead?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I don't know that one, although I'm betting Image is probably pretty happy they fell for that trick now.

IIRC he lied to them and said that the whole thing was going to build to an alien invasion story.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What is it about these guys who get screwed by the Big 2 and then turn around and do the same thing? Todd McFarlane wrote a story about Marvel and DC superheroes being imprisoned by corporations, then he pulls the same poo poo with Neil Gaiman. Kirkman made a video where he cried about how bad the Big 2 are, then he screws Tony Moore in pretty much the same way. Guess they were just mad they weren't the ones doing the loving over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

What is it about these guys who get screwed by the Big 2 and then turn around and do the same thing? Todd McFarlane wrote a story about Marvel and DC superheroes being imprisoned by corporations, then he pulls the same poo poo with Neil Gaiman. Kirkman made a video where he cried about how bad the Big 2 are, then he screws Tony Moore in pretty much the same way. Guess they were just mad they weren't the ones doing the loving over.

Money is a corrupting influence. Newer creators are better about it I think, a lot of newer Image titles are 50/50 co-owned by the writer and artist. Saga takes regular breaks because it takes Fiona Staples longer to draw an issue than Brian K. Vaughn to write one, Sex Criminals just says "by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky" on the covers of the trades even though everyone knows Matt Fraction can't draw.

Alan Moore gives whatever money he gets from movies to the artist, but I think that just has to do with how much he hates the Big 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kirkman is kind of a piece of poo poo. He massive;y hosed Tony Moore over and tried to keep him from getting a dime of the tv money.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

While I did make that comment with that letter in mind, I think McDuffie's overarching point isn't that skateboards aren't cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Or Jim Lee, who used to complain about how Marvel expected him to be a company man and toe the line 25 years ago, and now is co-publisher of DC and during the New 52 era complained about writers and artists not being company men and toeing the line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC he lied to them and said that the whole thing was going to build to an alien invasion story.

Yeah. Basically his editor just nixed the idea of a zombie comic immediately. Zombies are played out, they don't sell, everyone's sick of them. So Kirkman was like "Oh, well you didn't let me finish! See, turns out the zombies are just part of this alien race's plan to take over earth! It's going to be this big twist, and then the story's going to be about taking earth back from the aliens!"

12 issues in, his editor's like "Man, sales are great, but when are you going to start dropping hints about the whole alien thing?" and Kirkman admitted he made that poo poo up on the spot because he really wanted to do a zombie comic.

Lightning Lord posted:

Was this also the time when he tricked Tony Moore out of his rightful share of money for co-creating the Walking Dead?

Aw, come on. No need to bring the room down.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Lord posted:

"Hope you never get old enough to become what you rail against". Few people start out with the goal to become The Man, especially in Comic Books, which was for a long time pretty much a part of counter culture. And suddenly you are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Aw, come on. No need to bring the room down.

I believe Jim Steranko is a big Trump guy nowadays.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Saga takes regular breaks because it takes Fiona Staples longer to draw an issue than Brian K. Vaughn to write one,

I like that Saga has started flipping the credits every other arc. Half the time, the covers say "Staples/BKV" and the interior lists Staples first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Probably not. Unless it's changed at some point, Image's sales model means they don't make any more from Walking Dead than they do from anything else other than it's been going on for a decade or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Probably not. Unless it's changed at some point, Image's sales model means they don't make any more from Walking Dead than they do from anything else other than it's been going on for a decade or whatever.

I know they don't get any of the AMC money, but they still get money off every issue sold, plus I imagine a portion of the trade sales too, which the TV show helps move, isn't Walking Dead still one of their best selling titles? It's almost certainly the most famous independent comic title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I know they don't get any of the AMC money, but they still get money off every issue sold, plus I imagine a portion of the trade sales too, which the TV show helps move, isn't Walking Dead still one of their best selling titles? It's almost certainly the most famous independent comic title.

No they don't. From their FAQ:

quote:

How does publishing a comic book or graphic novel through Image work?

Image was set up so that creators could do what they want with their creations, and reap the benefits financially. When a book is published by Image, creators are not paid up front. It can sometimes be two or three months before one sees money from a book. It sounds rough, and it most definitely can be. But if it’s done right, the payoff can be far more rewarding than producing a book in the conventional manner.

When the creator does finally get paid, they get paid on what their book makes after the cost of printing and Image’s modest office fee, which covers solicitations, traffic, production, and some promotion of the book. We make no more money off of our highest selling book than we do our lowest.
Creators pay a flat fee (or, rather, have it deducted from their sales) per work published, not per copy. I seem to recall it being something like $5000/issue, but that was awhile ago and that might have risen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If nothing else, the wild success of The Walking Dead encouraged other creators to work with Image.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
And readers to try new titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. Basically his editor just nixed the idea of a zombie comic immediately. Zombies are played out, they don't sell, everyone's sick of them. So Kirkman was like "Oh, well you didn't let me finish! See, turns out the zombies are just part of this alien race's plan to take over earth! It's going to be this big twist, and then the story's going to be about taking earth back from the aliens!"

12 issues in, his editor's like "Man, sales are great, but when are you going to start dropping hints about the whole alien thing?" and Kirkman admitted he made that poo poo up on the spot because he really wanted to do a zombie comic.

Then he did a joke ending (to I think issue #100?) where Rick wakes up in a room with all the dead main characters who are cyborgs and they team up to fight the aliens (and also the comic is in color.)