Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ReidRansom posted:

But like a hotel or something where it's someone else's problem .... hmmm...

Legit had not considered that idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

evobatman posted:

The Gamestop where I live have a couple of bins of used games, and 95% of the store is Hot Topic and Thinkgeek stuff. You could remove all the video games and consoles from the store, and you wouldn't notice a difference.

KiteAuraan posted:

Hot Topic is 90% nerdy blind box tat and Funko Pops these days.

For a while, I thought FYE was yet another company circling the drain and from what I've seen during a recent mall trip, it probably still is. Whereas FYE used to be 65% music and 35% memorabilia/kitsch, it's now wall-to-wall with Funko Pop dolls, cheesy TV show/comic book merchandise and other semi-pretentious poo poo that's supposed to appeal to geeks and weebs, with a tiny used/clearance music CD rack near the back of the store for good measure.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fried Watermelon posted:

Here's an idea of what the Funko Pop wall looks like at my nearest EBGames:

Also the PC section is literally Blizzard game cards and steam gift cards.

Speaking of Blizzard games, I love finding the random WoW expansions for $29.99 in random rear end grocery stores. Usually it's Cataclysm as well, not even the most recent one.

In 2007 or so (right before they went out of business) I was in the Woolworth's in my home city and they had the original Dungeon Keeper on the shelf for £30. Maybe it had Deeper Dungeons included, but still - who was buying decade-old PC games at full retail price? (the answer is no-one which is why Woolies is no more).

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Last time I was in a mall there were at least six stores and kiosks that seemed to sell mostly funkos. They were also all over the Barnes and Noble across the street. Are they even any profits to be made when everyone is selling the same thing? What happens when these toys stop being popular?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Moon Monster posted:

Funko Pops are certainly tat but they're not generally (or ever?) blind boxes as far as I know.

I think people are referring more to the fact that they are used as fillers for shite like Loot Crate. I would bet the vast majority of Funko Pops get to people through blind crates instead of people intentionally buying them from shops

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot believe the Chinese plastic garbage that people happily buy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
They may be the current iteration of Beanie Babies, but I suspect Funkcos are going to stick around for a while. They're all pop culture characters, so outside of the gotta buy them all nerds, you'll have the randos who see a Central Officer Bradford and think it would look good on their desk.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone in my office has her desk filled with pops. She has a dead Laura Palmer pop. It's uh... not in good taste.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Iron Crowned posted:

They may be the current iteration of Beanie Babies, but I suspect Funkcos are going to stick around for a while. They're all pop culture characters, so outside of the gotta buy them all nerds, you'll have the randos who see a Central Officer Bradford and think it would look good on their desk.

Yeah, they rely as much on one dude buying his favourite character from Avengers or people in the "must buy cheap, lazy gift" demographic as people buying 40 of them to fill out their collection.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love Funko Pops because they piss people off so much.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We have a few Funko pops. They are cheap fun ways to show fandom and fill in little niche spaces on the entertainment center.

I can't see collecting them SERIOUSLY but they serve a fun little purpose.

Plus my kids love them. Getting my 4 year old a Moana one for CHristmas was a Good Buy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'd rather have a cool rock on my entertainment center than one of those

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

We need to buy Professor Shark a Funko POP!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

The only one I have is a Jamie Lannister pop that someone bought me. He makes an excellent mini-tree topper for Christmas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jastiger posted:

We need to buy Professor Shark a Funko POP!

Really surprised there's not a Jaws Funko POP figure. There is one for Bruce from Finding Nemo, and one for Sharknado, however.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol I googled Funko pop and they're those dumb toys for suckers I see everywhere haha

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chicken Doodle posted:

The only one I have is a Jamie Lannister pop that someone bought me.

And this is why those things will be around forever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Really surprised there's not a Jaws Funko POP figure. There is one for Bruce from Finding Nemo, and one for Sharknado, however.

They even to made Pops for the human characters.

The other weird thing is that Pops aren't the only thing Funko makes. They do those mystery minis, which are blind boxes of characters in a totally different art style. (Of which, they made a Jaws figure.) They also have the Rock Candy line of vinyl statues of female characters from various things. These actually look pretty good since they're not doing the same lovely minimalism of their other stuff. And Reaction, which mimmick Kenner Star Wars toys. I kinda like these, but I don't go out of my way to buy cheap plastic collectible crap anymore.

I know they got other lines too, like plushes and Dorbz and I'm sure five other lines that popped up since I quit working retail.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I loving hate those things because the makers hedge their bets by having figurines of every fictional-character ever. Remember that video-game Evolve? They have figurines of the playable cast of Evolve, despite the fact only ten people played that game. It reminds me of how often Ubisoft makes "Iconic" merchandising-crap.

At the Walgreens by my house, in their toy section, is one of these Evolve figurines selling for $20 (the game itself has been free to play for months now). The box is banged up and faded, and it's been hanging there for a couple years. I wonder what will happen to it?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

Funko's got ya covered bro

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MisterOblivious posted:

Funko's got ya covered bro

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have know this was The Rock if it didn't say so on the box.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have know this was The Rock if it didn't say so on the box.
Part of it for me is that, even as a lifelong wrestling fan, I wouldn't ever picture The Rock with a goatee. I'm sure he had one at some point but I wouldn't call it his most iconic look.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NorgLyle posted:

Part of it for me is that, even as a lifelong wrestling fan, I wouldn't ever picture The Rock with a goatee. I'm sure he had one at some point but I wouldn't call it his most iconic look.

Yeah that's more of a post-wrestling look for him. He has a salt & pepper goatee in the recent video where he invites a hero kid out to his movie set to eat candy with him. :3:

I don't understand what's going on with Funko Rock's shoes, either. What's that extra strap supposed to be?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah that's more of a post-wrestling look for him. He has a salt & pepper goatee in the recent video where he invites a hero kid out to his movie set to eat candy with him. :3:

I don't understand what's going on with Funko Rock's shoes, either. What's that extra strap supposed to be?

It's not an extra strap; Rock always wore these weird rear end boots that had the calves cut out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

It's not an extra strap; Rock always wore these weird rear end boots that had the calves cut out.

Well that's dumb. You can tell him I said. :colbert:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I went to Hot Topic a few weeks ago to buy some bondage pants. It turns out that all their Tripp clothes are online only now. Most of the store was Disney and Star Wars merch.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BgRdMchne posted:

I went to Hot Topic a few weeks ago to buy some bondage pants. It turns out that all their Tripp clothes are online only now. Most of the store was Disney and Star Wars merch.

That's nature's way of telling you you're 35.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Years ago I bought my mom the FunkoPup of the Snowman from Rudolph. Bumble is just happy.

I picked up a Smaug as well to try and rig a shoulder-sitting dragon toy. No one told me Smaug is a loving foot tall and has demon eyes.

Lastly some years ago I found an Ursula on HotTopic.com on clearance, and bought it for a niece. I ended up forgetting about it and it's some kind of rarity now.

The fact there are no Pokemon Funko makes me sad.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
computer, show me a howard the duck funcopop. disable safety protocols.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BgRdMchne posted:

Yeeeeep. And Tripp pants are dumb but they're also really comfortable so it sucks. They made good shorts.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Speaking of Blizzard games, I love finding the random WoW expansions for $29.99 in random rear end grocery stores. Usually it's Cataclysm as well, not even the most recent one.

:v: we found this bad boy at a walmart a couple weeks ago. there were 3 or 4 other copies! only $1!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The fact there are no Pokemon Funko makes me sad.

You're just going to have to settle for going down to the nearest nerd store and buying whatever combination pleases you of the piles of merchandise they made for the nearly 900 of the buggers (plus alternate forms) they have now.

Not possibly on topic, but I loosely recall my city's general Japan import/anime and video game speciality store used to be the dusty nerd basement you'd expect the first time I visited years ago, then next time I didn't recognise the place because they remodelled in a sleek, white tiled store with generous floor space, for its small size, glass display cases and an Apple Store-like aesthetic. As far as I can tell it's doing pretty well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
With all the Kmart talk it seems kinda weird as the Australian version seems to be doing very well indeed - they just opened a huge new one near where I live.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dissss posted:

With all the Kmart talk it seems kinda weird as the Australian version seems to be doing very well indeed - they just opened a huge new one near where I live.

They're separate companies. They just have the same branding for historical reasons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't been inside a hot topic for probably 10 years, at least.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Volcott posted:

Ooh, I have that one and it's a bobble head!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The Snoo posted:

:v: we found this bad boy at a walmart a couple weeks ago. there were 3 or 4 other copies! only $1!

I found a copy of burning crusade for $1 at a Walmart a few months ago, but when I tried to buy it they said the UPC wasn't in the system anymore so I couldn't.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I found a copy of burning crusade for $1 at a Walmart a few months ago, but when I tried to buy it they said the UPC wasn't in the system anymore so I couldn't.

Several months ago when Wal-Mart was doing their whole clearance thing they had a lot of PC software for like $1-20 each for everything from PC games, to AV Protection, to desktop publishing, to video editing software.

I tried to buy a few things that interested me but the transaction would not go through because the 'key activation' process at the register would not work for ANY of them so the clerk told me I couldn't buy them and put them back behind the counter.

Amusingly enough, they managed to sell me something around the same time that had a similar problem and they called up a manager to override when that step was going on. I got charged for the product, sat on it a few weeks and then when I read the receipt when I opened it I noted that the activation didn't seem to occur. I don't think I even bothered to try installing it because I figured I'd be be getting a "This is not a valid key" from the install.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Volcott posted:

The Snoo posted:

The best (worst?) part about stores that are still selling old WoW expansions is that all of them except the latest one are bundled into the vanilla game now.

You pay for the base game and it gives you every expansion but the newest, so those old expansions being still sold in stores literally do nothing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Corrode posted:

They're separate companies. They just have the same branding for historical reasons.

I had long thought the same of Woolies, but I only just learned that it has always been an entirely separate company and only took the Woolworth's name to capitalize on its reputation overseas as it hadn't been registered as a trademark in Australia yet.

Also I only just learned that the long defunct original American Woolworth's apparently lives on as Foot Locker, which I guess is still doing well in spite of the general retail crash and mall death.