Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Mr Interweb”" post="“475921442”"]
ITT Tech went under a few years ago thanks to the Obama admin, which probably wouldn’t have happened if Trump were president.
[/quote]

Last year. ITT Tech went under last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Every (corrupt) retired politician in history has got to be loving kicking themselves for all the time, energy, and potential profit they wasted by bothering to pretend to be anything but a giant piece of poo poo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

HootTheOwl posted:

Righto, what's his name then?

Australian cartoonist, you might have heard of him. Fought and died in the war against political correctness.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Last year. ITT Tech went under last year.

Huh, wasn't as long ago as I thought it was (I generally have a bad sense regarding the passage of time).

Still, it was under Obama, so NYAH.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

DreamShipWrecked posted:

DeVry is a lovely for profit college that just settled a $100 million lawsuit because it was scamming it's students. The head is now going to be in charge of the department that stops unis from scamming their students.

There is some kinda curse over this administration which puts the very least qualified person in charge of everything.
poo poo is really dire, when "Rick Perry, minister of energy" sounds comparatively sane. I can't wait for Arpaio to become attorney general.

But then again, for all of those jobs there is one person who would be an even worse fit for them. He's handing them out. He literally has all of those bad traits.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mr Interweb posted:

Huh, wasn't as long ago as I thought it was (I generally have a bad sense regarding the passage of time).

It's okay, we're like 7 months into the Trump admin and it feels like it's been 10 years.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Water levels are rising way higher than most residents expected in Port Arthur and Beaumont. 911 systems in the effected areas are currently collapsing under the weight of calls. Right now volunteer systems like this one are crucial to getting residents help. The linked site is basically a silicon valley-scale version of that infopost I set up with wren a couple days back, except they're also geolocating those in need of rescue on a map and connecting them with rescuers, as well as coordinating relief efforts, contact information for rescue volunteers, phone numbers, and a ton of other things necessary to keep getting people to safety as the conventional emergency systems falter.

And hey, you can help be a part of this! They need more people, and you're connecting those in need of aid with those who can aid them-directly saving lives. No experience necessary beyond being able to navigate basic internet sites and know how to copy and paste!

http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/

I feel like a complete idiot, but I'll ask anyway since this is important. Can anyone give a more detailed description of how to help with this? I've been looking for how to add names and locations to the map but I'm getting a bit lost, and at this point I'm pretty sure all my bungling is doing is adding to the site being slowed down.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Red Baron posted:

What's in those sites? I assume it's mostly petroleum-related pollution or something, right? It's not like barrels of radioactive waste or something? I'm not as clear on superfund sites as I'd like to be considering that they're suddenly underwater now...

I would hope these are kept away from residential zones, but the cynic in me suspects there are possibly a lot of low-income people living pretty close to them. Do we know who might suddenly find super pollution in their backyard?

The hosed up thing about this kind of pollution is that it is a slow killer, and without good data you may not actually realize that you're being statistically hosed by it.

In areas of New York, actors like Union Carbide and Grumman created underground plumes of lovely pollution:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/1990/4182/report.pdf

That by itself isn't alarming until you look at a map like the one below where when check off something like kidney cancer, and where this water table pollution lies, you see a correlation.
https://apps.health.ny.gov/statistics/cancer/environmental_facilities/mapping/map/

osker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 31, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DreamShipWrecked posted:

DeVry is a lovely for profit college that just settled a $100 million lawsuit because it was scamming it's students. The head is now going to be in charge of the department that stops unis from scamming their students.

Welp. My wife just started teaching an anatomy course there... Welp.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Why not hire Snowden as cyber security chief for the NSA?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rip Testes posted:

Nah, that job goes to Putin.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cant cook creole bream posted:

There is some kinda curse over this administration which puts the very least qualified person in charge of everything.
poo poo is really dire, when "Rick Perry, minister of energy" sounds comparatively sane. I can't wait for Arpaio to become attorney general.

Its not a "curse." Its a deliberate attempt to hamper the government institutions designed to regulate and stop corruption and greed by putting in people who make a living off that same corruption and greed by the people running things who are all about profiting off that corruption and greed. Its what happens when a country decides you should stop electing "politicians" (aka, life long civil servants) and start electing "businessmen" (aka, lifelong capitalists who have never cared about anything but profit).

The entire Department of Education is being replaced with a For Profit model because that's the goal.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RC Cola posted:

Sorry you married a fake teacher with a scam job.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RC Cola posted:

I mean, in reality your education is based on your educators, not the university. So kids can still get a good education there.

The degrees just aren't worth much.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Mr Interweb”" post="“475921513”"]
Huh, wasn’t as long ago as I thought it was (I generally have a bad sense regarding the passage of time).

[/quote]

Oh, yes, just that things were less than a year from turning out very differently.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rip Testes posted:

See, you say this as a joke now, but in like a month it's going to be "Oh poo poo, he actually pardoned Snowden AND THEN made him head of the NSA?!?"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

See, you say this as a joke now, but in like a month it's going to be "Oh poo poo, he actually pardoned Snowden AND THEN made him head of the NSA?!?"

Trump doing a good thing is the craziest hypothetical of all.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

HPanda posted:

I feel like a complete idiot, but I'll ask anyway since this is important. Can anyone give a more detailed description of how to help with this? I've been looking for how to add names and locations to the map but I'm getting a bit lost, and at this point I'm pretty sure all my bungling is doing is adding to the site being slowed down.

Sure! Sorry I'm completely exhausted (I did a bunch of crisis counseling via phone today) and didn't write the directions correctly. Totally my bad.

What you want to do is:
Connect the map people with people who need rescue by.
1. Find people who need rescue.
2. Give people this information:

https://twitter.com/MinifridgeTF/status/902883286774632448

And tag your post #HarveySOS so people who are signed up can add it to the map.
People are looking through that hashtag and geovalidating for rescue.

I'll fix my earlier post.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 31, 2017

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Same Great Paste posted:

Every (corrupt) retired politician in history has got to be loving kicking themselves for all the time, energy, and potential profit they wasted by bothering to pretend to be anything but a giant piece of poo poo.

It turns out Republicans have actually always wanted to elect a giant piece of poo poo because they're giant pieces of poo poo themselves and they wanted someone like them running the government

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I got two people on my facebook feed that are in the muck of it, trying to be helpful (and posting public).
https://www.facebook.com/peter.vazquez.79/posts/10210653062224262
Peter was at Standing Rock. He's a passionate, righteous warrior. I don't know if he affiliates 'antifa', but he's definitely a Water Protector and an Activist. Follow his feed. Support what he's doing. He'll have intel you won't find in the media, and you might have some intel to share with him that he ain't got yet.

https://www.facebook.com/aylin.altinok.1
I met Aylin in Flint, at The Wolves Den, the night the articles came out featuring recordings of some guy in the Landbank talking about Niggers not paying their bills. That's body armor in her profile pic - from Standing Rock. Scroll back in her feed, she was in Charlottesville; she was in Boston. She's down to punch Nazis. Fights for LGBTQA rights. Turkish by Michigan. She's a badass warrior and you should follow her and you should fund her.

These are the people conservatives are slurring, when they imagine some black-bloc boogie-man and insult activists.

I probably know a few others heading that way. I've got a hippy bus picking me up at hippy-noon tomorrow. We're doing Flint for a couple days, gathering intel, crowd-funding supplies, charting a course and heading south.

I'm pretty ignorant about all this, but what's the actual task at hand right now? Immediate help finding and evacuating people trapped in homes... I know a lot of boats have shown up to pledge to help, but I saw one case of coast guard refusing boats entry (with guns out) in my feed, and I heard one case of someone with a boat needing a navigator that knows the streets they're traveling.

Where are the humans gathering? Like, with Katrina, there was the 'Superdome' (remember when those walmart trucks rolled up?)... are there ad hoc refugee camps popping up? Is this a 'climate refugee' situation - ought cities be sending busses and pledging to take however-many-people and help them handle their trauma and losses? I'm not imagining giant FEMA camps that house people /down there/ for months while cleanup happens...

like, what are the actual needs? what are the actual plans? Who''s doing what? How best can I help?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sorry, schedual says tomorrow's derail is everyone posting their cat's paw pads.

Finally, a derail I can get behind!

Every time I hear anything about the education department my anxiety goes up. I fear Betsy will work to get rid of the income based repayment forgiveness, and I will be paying loans until I burn off my fingerprints and disappear.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My grandpa was on a submarine and then on a battleship in the pacific during ww2. He stole an army jeep for his ship captain to take home.

He was headed to Japan when the war ended. He rarely talked about it. The rare times he did he'd talk about how you could see ships all along the horizon. He saw the bomb as a horrible but necessary event that probably kept him, and all those others, alive.

Also, much to my grandmother's dismay, he taught me a lot of dirty sailor songs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

HPanda posted:

I hosed up. They don't want most folks doing that, it's too involved. What they want is:

WrenP-Complete posted:

:siren:

How can you help people affected by Hurricane Harvey who need rescue right now?
1. You use twitter to find people in need of rescue (for example the search term thats hot right now is "beaumont".)
2. You give people this information:

https://twitter.com/MinifridgeTF/status/902883286774632448

Tag your post #HarveySOS so people who are signed up can add it to the map.
People are looking through that hashtag and geovalidating for rescue to add to this map!

http://harveyrelief.handiworks.co/rescue-map

Thank you for all that you do!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Red Baron posted:

What's in those sites? I assume it's mostly petroleum-related pollution or something, right? It's not like barrels of radioactive waste or something? I'm not as clear on superfund sites as I'd like to be considering that they're suddenly underwater now...

I would hope these are kept away from residential zones, but the cynic in me suspects there are possibly a lot of low-income people living pretty close to them. Do we know who might suddenly find super pollution in their backyard?

Sometimes residential areas are built right on top of what are now superfund sites. For example, West Calumet in East Chicago, IN used to have heavy industry and now suffers high lead contamination. There was a housing project built on that land too, and I think they're pretty much razing that during the cleanup. Not to mention an Elementary School.

It's surprising how they clean it up. Apparently they just go in and scoop out a bunch of dirt, put some new dirt in, and then it's clean?

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
It's a miracle. Fox News viewers may finally grasp reality.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348639-poll-majority-of-voters-think-trump-is-tearing-the-country-apart#.WadV3zOLA6E.facebook

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

So, uh, how long do those generators keeping the horrifying plagues in that lab have left in them? Because that's kind of a big loving story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I really want to think the 'invisible' 11% saw "Fox News Poll" on the clipboard and *fed* it to the survey taker.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I have to say, I'm always a bit surprised/impressed when Fox still publishes polls with results like this.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.facebook.com/stacey.hesslerows/posts/10213158483213185

This's the hippy bus I'm hopping on tomorrow afternoon. We're getting ready, and looking for information on how best we can plug in. I know these cats can put a kitchen together like nothin', start servin' delicious vegan food and using best practices to avoid food-born illnesses.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Archonex posted:

So, uh, how long do those generators keeping the horrifying plagues in that lab have left in them? Because that's kind of a big loving story.

It's a non-story and bad journalism, the containment is more involved than that and includes physical barriers.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Koalas March posted:

ok, it's official

:siren: unless your grandpa wants to be my sugar daddy & give me a 5k monthly allowance shut up about your grandfathers :siren:

Grandpa chat was interesting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's a non-story and bad journalism, the containment is more involved than that and includes physical barriers.

Condoms?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I figured. Then again I figured it'd be best to mention it. This has been a year of incompetence and what the gently caress moments.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

News media is very vague, fox. Aren't you technically news media?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crabtree posted:

News media is very vague, fox. Aren't you technically news media?

they're news entertainment. Assured by law that they are not required to be factual

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Azhais posted:

they're news entertainment. Assured by law that they are not required to be factual

They're still media.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr Interweb posted:

I have to say, I'm always a bit surprised/impressed when Fox still publishes polls with results like this.

It really is. However the Fox News polls tend to be top notch as they're run by an independent body.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tarantula posted:

Grandpa chat was interesting.

they're just jealous of our awesome grandpas

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lightning Lord posted:

They're still media.

"Oi, you *oval office*...ah'll 'ave you know that nonna my ~mehdia ehmpirah~ is *ac'tul* news. Ain't no bloody fukkin' money innit! Too much competition! Tella oval office whut he wants'ta 'ear an' *that's* 'ow ya gently caress'em good'n propah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Gonna be interesting to see what happens to Trumps poll numbers over the next two months. Eventually Trump is going to realize taht people are paying more attention to all the flooding and disaster relief than they are too him, and that is going to make little baby Donnie jealous af. He is going to try to make himself the center of attention again, and in the process he is almost certain to lash out at the victims of Harvey in some way. Trump isn't the biggest show in the US at the moment and that is not a situation he can accept. Trump may require effulgent praise in order to function, but he would much rather be despised than ignored. Ignored is a a far worse fate than hated for Trump.

• Locked thread