Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

What's the best way to talk my dumbass friend out of getting involved with crypto? Everything I say is met with "well, if it keeps shooting up, you'll regret not investing!"

Just like any other single-asset investment. If it's a small amount of her wealth, don't bother. If it's a lot then it's the usual "large portion of portfolio in volatile asset class" stuff. If she doesn't care about volatility and doesn't base her investments on any specific analysis, yolo. It's more likely to pay off than Funko Pops or a fun bet at the racetrack, probably.

quote:

Mini BWM story -- my friend spent her first paycheck for her new job entirely on eating out over the course of 2 weeks, saying she "just wanted to know what it was like to live the high life"

Meh. If she's doing it once and otherwise has her finances in order it seems like a *relatively* harmless indulgence. At least she's not spending her next paycheque ahead of time! Enjoying experiences isn't necessarily bad with money, even if it would be cheaper not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Once again antiquing destroys a relationship. Also dating what sounds like the most immature man in the world doesn't help.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Once again antiquing destroys a relationship. Also dating what sounds like the most immature man in the world doesn't help.

Fine.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Propaniac posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6wts3y/how_do_i_31_f_deal_with_my_sos_29_m_use_of_the/

We learned there were several others also offering bids, so we would have to buy it that night.

There is always one highlight in all of these stories, and I think I've found it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Propaniac posted:

How do I address this? I obviously feel like this is my fault and shouldn't have even mentioned fronting the cost of the couch, but I never saw it blowing up like this. My current plan is to do my own thing and give him space, but we live together.

Oh man this is the saddest part in there. It's not your fault and its not your job to coddle a petulant manbaby. Also, :sever:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is up with people buying poo poo they can't afford

edit: like dogg if u waiting for "a check to come in" so you can pay for your expensive antique couch you can't afford that poo poo
edit2: gently caress yo couch

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bad With Money: what is up with people buying poo poo they can't afford

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

brugroffil posted:

Bad With Money: what is up with people buying poo poo they can't afford

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020?snl=1

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A bidding war on a couch? :laffo:

Not insuring a truck because it's...new? :laffo:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
That guy who was spending a shitton on "research drugs" is kind of sad, because right after those posts, he went back to non stop posting about more drugs.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Y'all want some bad with money?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-29/kik-expects-to-boost-funding-bring-legitimacy-to-coin-offerings

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because it's an ICO, or something more specific?

E: they're selling credit to use on the services in their marketplace. It's like gift cards on a blockchain, roughly.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I think Antique Couch Guy is a goon. Just the other day I bought a PC game in order to help make that couch payment.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 31, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

E: they're selling credit to use on the services in their marketplace. It's like gift cards on a blockchain, roughly.

Well that will teach me to skim. I figured it was funding through Bitcoin and we all know what happens when Bitcoin comes in to play.

How about a blast from the past, re: renting furniture

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/stories-from-renttoown/1/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what is up with people buying poo poo they can't afford

edit: like dogg if u waiting for "a check to come in" so you can pay for your expensive antique couch you can't afford that poo poo
edit2: gently caress yo couch
"Limited time only, ACT NOW!" has a surprising pull on our brains. There'll always be other Things, but your mind tunnel visions on that specific Thing, so it's easier to turn into a dumb panicky animal if you think you'll miss out on getting it.

It's an impulse control issue, but an easy to explain one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cowofwar posted:

A bidding war on a couch? :laffo:

Not insuring a truck because it's...new? :laffo:

Why would I insure my new car, it's not gonna break down any time soon and I'm not one of those people who gets in car crashes :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I mean ICO's are default bad with money as is anything that even touches bitcoin with a 10 foot poll so I think it's fair

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean ICO's are default bad with money as is anything that even touches bitcoin with a 10 foot poll so I think it's fair

ICOs are just selling points. Whether they're BWM or not depends on whether you want those points to spend somewhere. They could be frequent flyer miles being traded on a block chain. They'd be no worse than miles in any other form.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

ICOs are just selling points. Whether they're BWM or not depends on whether you want those points to spend somewhere. They could be frequent flyer miles being traded on a block chain. They'd be no worse than miles in any other form.

I mean no they're definitely worse because they're incredibly easy to gently caress up/scam - I've completely lost count of the number of times i've seen "oh no our website with the address to send your coins to to invest was """"hacked"""" and the hackers switched the address to their own and we didn't notice until 8 million dollars worth of stuff went to them!!!"

Actually come to think of it I don't actually think I've even seen a 100% successful ICO that didn't have some shenanigans or end in some other hilarious failure. I admit I'm super biased since the failures are funnier to laff at and there must be some successful ones but uh... hm... drawin' a blank here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do you usually get insurance for a vehicle before it's off the lot? I don't actually know how to guarantee you have insurance for a new car unless you like, fill out the internet insurance form in the dealership parking lot.

Obviously not what happened to that guy but yeah.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah I thought you just called your insurance company from the dealership

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

Yeah I thought you just called your insurance company from the dealership

My insurance company let me fill a thing out ahead of time and then I let them know afterwards to formally start it :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you usually get insurance for a vehicle before it's off the lot? I don't actually know how to guarantee you have insurance for a new car unless you like, fill out the internet insurance form in the dealership parking lot.

California you get a grace period on new purchases if you have existing car insurance. As long as you call them to add it in that period you're covered to the purchase date. It's something reasonable like 5 business days. If you don't have proof of that coverage you get a X-day binder from the dealership for $BWM dollars. If it's a during normal business hours you can get a binder from a reputable firm much cheaper to side step that.

Content: Patent troll agrees to pay the person they sued to allow them to drop the case: https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/08/30/the-best-defense-is-attack-and-that-now-includes-when-fighting-patent-trolls/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean no they're definitely worse because they're incredibly easy to gently caress up/scam - I've completely lost count of the number of times i've seen "oh no our website with the address to send your coins to to invest was """"hacked"""" and the hackers switched the address to their own and we didn't notice until 8 million dollars worth of stuff went to them!!!"

Actually come to think of it I don't actually think I've even seen a 100% successful ICO that didn't have some shenanigans or end in some other hilarious failure. I admit I'm super biased since the failures are funnier to laff at and there must be some successful ones but uh... hm... drawin' a blank here.

Oh, if the argument is that the mechanics of an ICO can be bad, then sure, though I think Brave/BAT went fine (albeit to a small number of people). The people in question here have successfully run a messaging service for hundreds of millions of people for years, including running a version of this marketplace. They aren't whipping something up with node and some sample code the night before. I'm not worried about the 130+ of them with a $1B+ valuation disappearing with the proceeds of an ICO.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Obviously not what happened to that guy but yeah.

Probably a little different to since this is a semi truck for a trucking company.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

H110Hawk posted:

Content: Patent troll agrees to pay the person they sued to allow them to drop the case: https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/08/30/the-best-defense-is-attack-and-that-now-includes-when-fighting-patent-trolls/

You should post that in the Schadenfreude thread. That's weapons-grade schadenfreude that I can shoot directly into my veins.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought there would be like "fleet pricing" or something for trucking companies where all their vehicles/drivers are covered under one umbrella policy. I was never on the auto side of insurance, but it seems like it would be a product that exists specifically for fleets of vehicles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought there would be like "fleet pricing" or something for trucking companies where all their vehicles/drivers are covered under one umbrella policy. I was never on the auto side of insurance, but it seems like it would be a product that exists specifically for fleets of vehicles.

Prolly depends on the trucking company. I assume the people who actually bring their trucks home at night have to insure them themselves and are just some kinda contractor?

For some reason at my last two apartment complexes I've lived in the same building as someone with a semi truck and watching them try to park it in the lovely tiny parking lot is always a hoot. The most recent guy rented a garage and then backed it half way into the garage and just left the front sticking out because it doesn't fit :v:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

In Illinois, or at least with the lenders I've used, we had to have insurance set up before we drove off the lot. It was just a simple fax to the insurance company.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6x02pr/mom_owns_a_restaurant_began_writing_bad_checks_in/

quote:

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female in Alabama.
First off, I am not an adult in Alabama until I am 19 years old, so the advice you can give may have to be a little different.
Anyways, on to the situation. My mom has owned a restaurant for 6 years. Recently, it's been doing poorly. My dad has been begging her to close it down and get a different job. Instead, to "save" her restaurant, she's been writing bad checks to food suppliers in order to keep it open. And these checks are in my dad's name. I have no idea how much they owe. I'm assuming around 1000$?
I got my very first real job two weeks ago and am also balancing college. (I have a full tuition + fees scholarship, and have an incoming Pell Grant that I want to use for books.) I was anticipating buying a backpack with my first paycheck but my mom said she needed it to pay the house payment. So I gave it ($180) to her.
Now that my Grant is coming in, my mom wants it too.
I don't know what to do. Am I selfish for hesitating to give this to her? Should I give something to her? Is there anything else I can do? Please help me. Thank you.
(Additionally, I wrote this very fast and it may be jumbled up or vague. If I need to clarify anything please ask.)
EDIT1: I am also extremely concerned about my younger sister (17) and what will happen to her if my parent(s) gets arrested.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a great, in depth article from USA Today on the slave labor conditions of many trucking employees. If a company can dupe a driver into a long terms lease or loan from the company for a truck (so the driver can "own his own truck"), then all of a sudden the truckers are independent contractors, who buy their own gear, gas, and insurance, the company ends up paying the truckers way less than minimum wage under very terrible conditions. The article is called "Rigged." I'm phone posting so can't quote the juicy bits, but luckily judges are making it BWM for the companies to do this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So that's what happened to Doobie.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BigHead posted:

There was a great, in depth article from USA Today on the slave labor conditions of many trucking employees. If a company can dupe a driver into a long terms lease or loan from the company for a truck (so the driver can "own his own truck"), then all of a sudden the truckers are independent contractors, who buy their own gear, gas, and insurance, the company ends up paying the truckers way less than minimum wage under very terrible conditions. The article is called "Rigged." I'm phone posting so can't quote the juicy bits, but luckily judges are making it BWM for the companies to do this.

That sounds like the Uber business model, actually.

BWM: working for Uber.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That sounds like the Uber business model, actually.

BWM: working for Uber.

Uber shut down uber xchange because they were getting killed on it to the tune of a 9k loss per unit

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Burger king introduced their own cryptocurrency in Russia. Surprisingly it seems more financially sound than most cryptocurrencies since it's at least backed by Real Beef(c).

quote:

Burger King Russia plans to release iOS and Android apps in the next month that will allow customers to sell their WhopperCoins and send them to friends.

Ivan Shestov, head of external communications at Burger King Russia, said in a statement: "Eating Whoppers now is a strategy for financial prosperity tomorrow."

Shestov added: "Now Whopper is not only [a] burger that people in 90 different countries love — it's an investment tool as well. According to the forecasts, cryptocurrency will increase exponentially in value."

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Weatherman posted:

You should post that in the Schadenfreude thread. That's weapons-grade schadenfreude that I can shoot directly into my veins.

well except that $5000 is slightly less than a rounding error in corporate patent cases

it's actually relatively easy to get paid for attorney fees and costs when you win a patent suit, thanks to a recent supreme court decision saying as much, and when that happens you're talking millions of dollars. and it's always hilarious to read about

quote:

Universal Electronics, Inc. sued Universal Remote Control, Inc. for alleged infringement of various remote control patents. Three years later, after a jury trial, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California entered judgment for the defendant. The defendant then moved for attorney fees and costs, claiming $4.6 million in fees and more than $860,000 in costs.

The court analyzed the reasonableness of the requested amounts, ultimately reducing the fee claim by 15 percent, to approximately $4.1 million, and the expense claim by 45 percent, to approximately $478,000. Still, the court awarded what it admitted was “a relatively large number.” Among other things, the court based its finding that the case was “exceptional” on the facts that “this litigation was at least in part motivated by Plaintiff’s desire for ‘payback’ for Defendant’s successful competition in the marketplace, that Plaintiff failed to adequately review its own material concerning marking before filing suit, that it engaged in discovery gamesmanship to obscure such failing, and that Plaintiff engaged in ‘troubling’ conduct concerning a petition for correction of inventorship

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

Burger king introduced their own cryptocurrency in Russia. Surprisingly it seems more financially sound than most cryptocurrencies since it's at least backed by Real Beef(c).

I support the Beef Standard

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Money backed by real assets is so Ron Paul give me money backed by Trumps word.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“BigHead”" post="“475916582”"]
There was a great, in depth article from USA Today on the slave labor conditions of many trucking employees. If a company can dupe a driver into a long terms lease or loan from the company for a truck (so the driver can “own his own truck”), then all of a sudden the truckers are independent contractors, who buy their own gear, gas, and insurance, the company ends up paying the truckers way less than minimum wage under very terrible conditions. The article is called “Rigged.” I’m phone posting so can’t quote the juicy bits, but luckily judges are making it BWM for the companies to do this.
[/quote]

It’s a really good article. All the old trucks had to be retired for environmental reasons and the shipping companies thought they could pass those costs onto their drivers.

And I guess they did, since many of them didn’t speak English and didn’t know they were being screwed. Any driver who did take his dispute to the labor board won their case. Like 100% of all decisions have broken for the drivers. I’m going to guess there are no shortages of labor attorneys hanging out by the docks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Great good job the tag is now POLITICS.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It’s a really good article. All the old trucks had to be retired for environmental reasons and the shipping companies thought they could pass those costs onto their drivers.

And I guess they did, since many of them didn’t speak English and didn’t know they were being screwed. Any driver who did take his dispute to the labor board won their case. Like 100% of all decisions have broken for the drivers. I’m going to guess there are no shortages of labor attorneys hanging out by the docks now.

This it?
https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/news/rigged-forced-into-debt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/

quote:

He rarely went home to his family. At night, he crawled into the back of his cab and slept in the company parking lot.

For all of that, he took home as little as 67 cents a week.
:stare: