Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Exposure posted:

Yeah in XcomGameData_SoldierSkills.ini. You should see Brutal_Will_Mod somewhere in the chosen abilities.

Also uploaded a proper fix for it on the workshop, should be visible soon-ish.

Would this in any way negatively impact a game in progress if I used it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would this in any way negatively impact a game in progress if I used it?

Shouldn't, config changes in abilities only have the catch that they won't affect a save already in a mission: abilities get rebuilt with the new changes once a new mission starts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exposure posted:

Yeah in XcomGameData_SoldierSkills.ini. You should see Brutal_Will_Mod somewhere in the chosen abilities.

Also uploaded a proper fix for it on the workshop, should be visible soon-ish.

You're good people.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Dark Event: The Chosen lose all weaknesses"

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
My Templar just rolled Reaper.

:black101:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

"Dark Event: The Chosen lose all weaknesses"

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Permanently, or for the month?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Permanently, or for the month?

The latter normally, the former if you pick the option that makes all Dark Events permanent.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bonding and the posters brought this game from a 10/10 to close to GOAT

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

The latter normally, the former if you pick the option that makes all Dark Events permanent.

Why the hell would you want permanent dark events?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Masochism.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It's kind of a neat idea in the sense that ADVENT never stops getting stronger, so the end game wouldn't just be a victory lap anymore. But... yeah it sounds kind of brutal in the middle portions.

Also, I wish there were some way to permanently suspend the Avatar project, so that you could just tool around the Geoscape doing random stuff forever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well I found a silly bug. When you rescue a solder on the "Lost VIP rescue" mission where you have 2 optional soldiers to pick up, they'll start the next mission with however much ammo they had in their gun when they evaced.

Had a sniper eave with one round chambered in his rifle, apparently never thought to check it in the 3-4 days before I grabbed him for the next mission.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really like how the various new units can fill some good niches in a team, but they can't do everything. You still want to bring old units.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Finally got predator armor...in June. Still relying on magnetic rifles. Also just got advanced grenade launchers. I'm waaay behind.

But it seems like enemy progression is slower? I just met my first Archon and that was only at the blacksite. I remember seeing later tier enemies at this point.

Also, did Blacksite always only remove 1 pip or is that a balance thing since there's Covert ops to reduce it?

Templar is super, super good. Just got the perk where he gets some focus when you generally kill stuff. He saves a lot of grenades, and acts like a mini-Mimic Beacon if you don't want to deal with the last guy in the pod.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ersatz posted:

Also, I wish there were some way to permanently suspend the Avatar project, so that you could just tool around the Geoscape doing random stuff forever.

The covert ops that reduce it may as well be this. I've done all of one facility and it's only had under 3 pips left to start the doom timer once thanks to removing 2 pips every few weeks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got the expansion and see that there are separate launchers for vanilla and WotC. Does the vanilla version have all the engine improvements that came with WotC?

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
bought the game and expansion on impulse and am starting full expansion. is the long-rear end (but fun) reaper/skirmisher meetup mission required to complete every play through regardless of whether you have the tutorial on or off? i wanted to do the tutorial just to get the plot bits and refresh my basic knowledge of the mechanics, then restart and do ironman (with double timers), and don't want to go too far in on it, but it's hard to tell when they're done laying out the new stuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Princeps32 posted:

bought the game and expansion on impulse and am starting full expansion. is the long-rear end (but fun) reaper/skirmisher meetup mission required to complete every play through regardless of whether you have the tutorial on or off? i wanted to do the tutorial just to get the plot bits and refresh my basic knowledge of the mechanics, then restart and do ironman (with double timers), and don't want to go too far in on it, but it's hard to tell when they're done laying out the new stuff.

You can choose whether or not you want to do the Lost and Abandoned mission (it's right next to where you decide whether or not you want to do the tutorial).

If you don't, you start at a random faction headquarters and you get the corresponding faction hero with you on gatecrasher. Or you can use the second wave options to pick which faction you start with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Unlucky7 posted:

I got the expansion and see that there are separate launchers for vanilla and WotC. Does the vanilla version have all the engine improvements that came with WotC?

No, just the WoTC because it's basically on a new engine (that's why a lot of mods don't work off the bat).

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So what seems to be the best way to combat the Warlock?
I just 'unlocked' him, and the only time I've seen him in video, he stayed on the other side of the map and spammed zombies at the player.
I want to be ready for his gimmick.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tae posted:

No, just the WoTC because it's basically on a new engine (that's why a lot of mods don't work off the bat).

You'll find me skeptical that they coded a new engine for an expansion, when they didn't even do it going from XCOM->XCOM2. It sounds like they just streamlined how the data files are stored/loaded and have left the renderer alone.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Asked this a few days back but got no response: have they improved the post-mission loading times on PS4?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So what seems to be the best way to combat the Warlock?
I just 'unlocked' him, and the only time I've seen him in video, he stayed on the other side of the map and spammed zombies at the player.
I want to be ready for his gimmick.

The gimmick is you shoot him in the face till he dies. Also like half my guys are ridin' dirty with mindshields. And we have the special op going that hits psy attackers with psychic feedback.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Helion posted:

And we have the special op going that hits psy attackers with psychic feedback.

I had a gatekeeper use its giant aoe ability on my crew with that resistance order and he basically killed himself, took something like 20 damage..

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

You can choose whether or not you want to do the Lost and Abandoned mission (it's right next to where you decide whether or not you want to do the tutorial).

If you don't, you start at a random faction headquarters and you get the corresponding faction hero with you on gatecrasher. Or you can use the second wave options to pick which faction you start with.

perfect thanks!

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
The fact that Templar's overwatch button is 3 and their actually shoot button is on 2 has made me have so many abortive ambushes.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Helion posted:

And we have the special op going that hits psy attackers with psychic feedback.

Well now, that sounds absolutely delicious

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Serephina posted:

You'll find me skeptical that they coded a new engine for an expansion, when they didn't even do it going from XCOM->XCOM2. It sounds like they just streamlined how the data files are stored/loaded and have left the renderer alone.

It's not a new engine, it's Unreal 3 tech as per usual, just with a considerable rewrite under the hood. Codebase wise XCOM 2 and WOTC can be made compatible, but not without breaking nearly every mod released for XCOM 2 Vanilla. Backporting the engine improvements would've been an option if it wasn't for modding basically, by choosing not to they've ensured mods written for Vanilla will still work, which honestly is probably the better decision, even if it would be nice for them to roll improvements back to Vanilla once the community modding scene is up to date, I kinda doubt it will happen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I am sorely tempted to grenade those rear end in a top hat civilians hiding 1 tile out of LOS that end up ruining your stealth. loving snitches.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there a way to enable the double timers option without restarting the game? honestly sick of these 7 turn missions with 6.5 turns of space between me and the objective

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

snoremac posted:

Asked this a few days back but got no response: have they improved the post-mission loading times on PS4?

Presumably, but we don't know for sure since the console versions have been delayed to the 12th of September.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Space is uncomfortably tight in the Avenger this time around. I feel like I need another floor.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
How does the shaken status stack with being injured? I think I had a soldier get shaken but also lightly wounded, so he healed in a day and was ready to go with no shaken status. Almost makes me consider just nading my tired troops at the end of a mission to get them back faster.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

is there a way to enable the double timers option without restarting the game? honestly sick of these 7 turn missions with 6.5 turns of space between me and the objective

The simplest way to combat this is to equip the Reaper Order that makes timers not progress until you break concealment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skirmishers and Reapers have overall the best orders so its probably best to focus on them over Templars for influence generation. Templar poo poo is mostly minor or extremely situational.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
That... was NOT a pleasant Retaliation mission. Thank GOD the Chosen didn't show up.

Total enemy count:

1 Spectre
1 Viper
1 Faceless
4 Berserkers
7 Mutons

It was one of the ones with Resistance soldiers. Two of the mutons actually died to the second group without shooting back, before I could get out there, I was surprised. But then the Muton near the first resistance group retreated to join the rest, as I moved forward, and ended up having to take on five mutons and three berserkers, and a faceless, ALL AT ONCE.

Oh, and one of the mutons BLEW UP THE BUS ALL THE RESISTANCE GUYS WERE HIDING NEXT TO. Took out five civvies and hurt the hell out of a few of my guys because of sloppy positioning.

I got out of the mission with two casualties (a ranger and a grenadier), three wounded, and only 9/19 civilians rescued.

On the plus side, Muton autopsy now instant!

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Alkydere posted:

Well I found a silly bug. When you rescue a solder on the "Lost VIP rescue" mission where you have 2 optional soldiers to pick up, they'll start the next mission with however much ammo they had in their gun when they evaced.

Had a sniper eave with one round chambered in his rifle, apparently never thought to check it in the 3-4 days before I grabbed him for the next mission.

I just did one of these missions and got two Col. Grenadiers with Genius Combat Intelligence. One of them has run and gun as a special training option. Both of them have rapid fire as an option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are flashbangs as useless as they seem or am I just having terrible luck? As far as I can tell they just make stunned enemies land implausible critical hits on me while I'm in full cover.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I never thought skirmishers could disappoint me but it turns out they are pretty poo poo against rulers due to :derp: RULER REACTION :derp: bugging out.

Have the assault a facility and it turns out to be guarded by the Archon Lord. Wonderful. Well I pretty much got a perfect encounter against it, doing over half its health while taking zero damage! It tries to run away, so I try to be clever and put my skirmisher on overwatch. With the multi-shot ability and 3 actions from reflex, I figure its my best bet to do solid damage before it flees.

Well the first shot works, but the second two never come. The Archon Lord teleports away and then this happens;

Skirmishers zooms into unleash his remaining shots on thin air. Second shot fires and hits nothing (no poo poo), but the third never comes. I'm sitting there waiting for him to fire and he does nothing. All I can do is stare at the pool of acid where the Lord used to be. After 5 minutes of this I give up and exit back to the main menu.

So I reload the game and have to do the turn again. Of course this time instead of getting a perfect encounter the Lord nearly kills half my squad before running away. THANKS JAKE!

veni veni veni posted:

Are flashbangs as useless as they seem or am I just having terrible luck? As far as I can tell they just make stunned enemies land implausible critical hits on me while I'm in full cover.

Flashbangs aren't really good for not getting shot. They help a bit but the aim penalty is only -20 which isn't that big. Their main use is preventing enemies from using certain abilities. If they are just gonna shoot you in the face anyways though, they aren't doing much good.

If I was balancing the game I would make them destroy the enemies crit chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So Chosen, or just the Warlock, are immune to flashbangs. Awesome.
He's mind controlled Mox. Great.
Mox threw a grenade at my ranger, which summoned a horde. Flashbangs also summon hordes.
Either they beat the poo poo out of Mox and I scrub this campaign, or I get crazy lucky and he bleeds out.