Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Apparently it's possible to just upload an html file to that fcc domain

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/public-api-docs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Note: You are filing a document into an official FCC proceeding. All information submitted, including names and addresses, will be publicly available via the web.

You can file poo poo yourself w/ the FCC

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

AlmightyBob posted:

Apparently it's possible to just upload an html file to that fcc domain

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/public-api-docs.html
Haha oh my god. Yeah someone's getting fired over this.

But how long before we start getting FCC letterhead "jet fuel can't melt" memes? Or Bernie Would Have Won? And then how long before the extra freude from someone getting into some shiiiiiit for their upload?

See below:

KingSlime posted:

now this is a feast

gather round, friends

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Solid loving post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theres a will theres moe posted:

From the tech support thread

I am a college professor and I would never ask a student to explain what medical condition they have that might make them miss class. Specifically because it's none of my business, and also because we have offices at the school that are dedicated to evaluating students' medical issues and disabilities, determining the accommodation they require, and telling me "so-and-so needs an extra week, everything is legit" or whatever. Total privacy.

This sounds like either the professor asked for the details, which is an ethics code violation; or the student volunteered the information, which makes me ask why would you ever voluntarily tell your professor about bumps on your rear end in a top hat??

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Probably didn't understand that they didn't have to. I can imagine someone thinking "If I don't tell him why, he won't believe me."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sagebrush posted:

I am a college professor and I would never ask a student to explain what medical condition they have that might make them miss class. Specifically because it's none of my business, and also because we have offices at the school that are dedicated to evaluating students' medical issues and disabilities, determining the accommodation they require, and telling me "so-and-so needs an extra week, everything is legit" or whatever. Total privacy.

This sounds like either the professor asked for the details, which is an ethics code violation; or the student volunteered the information, which makes me ask why would you ever voluntarily tell your professor about bumps on your rear end in a top hat??

And also sometimes you really don't want to know.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hello new thread title/corollary!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gum posted:

Oh yeah. Also the Conservatives launched their new youth movement

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/902840617058926592

I don't think it's actually approved by the Conservative Party. One of the organisers does nothing but talk poo poo about Conservative HQ but wants them to let the group affiliate with them.

Even that Guido Fawkes guy - who's a real nasty piece of work - was making fun of them the other day.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Sagebrush posted:

Fellower lecturer here -- we have the same sorts of policies and procedures here for students, and yet they still send me emails detailing the minutiae of their ailments (colour, quantity, texture of output at either end, &c).

I can't stop watching this one.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Kittycats grumpily enduring water... :3

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

yesssss that's the good stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hell, same

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/eyMaYJ7.mp4

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Didn't even go for the pin after that. 2/10

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know if it will work but at least Arpaio's pardon itself is being challenged on constitutional grounds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/08/30/legal-challenge-to-arpaio-pardon-begins/

The idea is that "the president can’t use the pardon power to immunize lawless officials from consequences for violating people’s constitutional rights."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/video-surfaces-of-king-county-sheriffs-detective-pulling-gun-on-motorcyclist-hes-been-placed-on-leave/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNb6NPoCy0

The schadenfreude is on all of us that for blatant misconduct, this police officer will get some administrative leave (paid vacation) and then be reinstated with no repercussions.

it's also on everyone in this thread who will now have to deal with a bunch of fuckwits saying things like the sheriff should have shot the guy or that he was justified in pulling a gun on someone for traffic offenses or some idiotic bullshit like that

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Memento posted:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...laced-on-leave/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNb6NPoCy0

The schadenfreude is on all of us that for blatant misconduct, this police officer will get some administrative leave (paid vacation) and then be reinstated with no repercussions.

it's also on everyone in this thread who will now have to deal with a bunch of fuckwits saying things like the sheriff should have shot the guy or that he was justified in pulling a gun on someone for traffic offenses or some idiotic bullshit like that

:911::commissar::911:

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh god the facial expressions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Oh god the facial expressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yzBvHe4j9U

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/R1HJoFu.mp4

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:stonk:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

clearly 5 point palm poison oak technique

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Whatever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't know if it will work but at least Arpaio's pardon itself is being challenged on constitutional grounds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/08/30/legal-challenge-to-arpaio-pardon-begins/

The idea is that "the president can’t use the pardon power to immunize lawless officials from consequences for violating people’s constitutional rights."

More lovely reporting. That's the reporter's idea, not the judge's idea or the court's idea. The oral arguments were requested by Arpaio's lawyers. There is absolutely nobody arguing the validity of the pardon before the court.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Aug 31, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Phanatic posted:

More lovely reporting. That's the reporter's idea, not the judge's idea or the court's idea. The oral arguments were requested by Arpaio's lawyers. There is absolutely nobody arguing the validity of the pardon before the court.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm very not sure about what's going on. It seems like this article is discussing something different/separate from the oral arguments/vacating. These other groups are asking for an injunction, not arguing before the court. It says they "sent a letter to Raymond N. Hulser and John Dixon Keller of the Public Integrity Section, Criminal Division of the Justice Department, arguing that the pardon goes beyond constitutional limits."

Definitely please clarify, I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm very not sure about what's going on. It seems like this article is discussing something different/separate from the oral arguments/vacating. These other groups are asking for an injunction, not arguing before the court. It says they "sent a letter to Raymond N. Hulser and John Dixon Keller of the Public Integrity Section, Criminal Division of the Justice Department, arguing that the pardon goes beyond constitutional limits."

Definitely please clarify, I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.

Okay.

Here's what's going on inside the court, which is what matters here:

Arpaio was given a court order by a Federal judge to stop doing some things. He did not stop doing some things. He was charged with contempt of court for violating that order, and he was prosecuted on that charge and found guilty of a Federal crime (401(3) USC 18, "Disobedience or resistance to its lawful writ, process, order, rule, decree, or command."). After he was found guilty, but before he was sentenced, Trump issued an executive grant of clemency in the case.

At this point, Arpaio filed a motion to vacate the conviction, and all other orders in the case, and requested oral argument on the motion. So the court issued an order scheduling those oral arguments and giving the government a chance to respond.

https://www.scribd.com/document/357623060/Joseph-Arpaio-Order-Vacating-Sentencing-Dates-and-Request-for-Briefing-8-29-2017

quote:

"The Court has received notice from the Department of Justice, Office of the Pardon Attorney of the August 25, 2017 Pardon of the Defendant. The notice also attached a copy of the Full and Unconditional Pardon of Defendant. Defendant has also filed a Motion for Vacatur and Dismissal with Prejudice [Docket #220]. In the motion the Defendant asks that the Court rule promptly. The motion cannot be considered ex parte because it requests more than vacating the sentencing date and dismissal with prejudice. The Court cannot rule on the motion until the Government has had an opportunity to respond [to the Motion] and Defendant an opportunity to file a reply [to the Government's response]. Defendant also requested that the motion be set for argument...

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting oral argument on Defendant’s Motion for Vacatur and Dismissal With Prejudice [Doc. 220] on Wednesday, October 4, 2017, at 10:00 a.m."

The criminal case is *over*. The judge has already issued an order canceling the sentencing aspect of the case. What's going on is that Arpaio is asking the courts for a thing, and the judge is giving the DoJ an opportunity to raise arguments against what Arpaio is asking for.

Here's what's going on outside the court, which is everything else in that article:

An activist group that is not a party to the case at all has written a letter to some organization in the Department of Justice that is also not a party to the case at all expressing its opinion of dislike about the pardon. This opinion, the letter, the sender, and the recipient, all have nothing whatsoever to do with the matter before the court and will not be involved in the outcome of it at all.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phanatic posted:

The criminal case is *over*. The judge has already issued an order canceling the sentencing aspect of the case. What's going on is that Arpaio is asking the courts for a thing, and the judge is giving the DoJ an opportunity to raise arguments against what Arpaio is asking for.

I thought the reason for Arpaio attempting to vacate the conviction is that it would keep the civil suits off him.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DandyLion posted:

I thought the reason for Arpaio attempting to vacate the conviction is that it would keep the civil suits off him.

Why would it keep the civil suits off him?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If anything, shouldn't it make is easier to sue him?

Accepting a pardon means admitting guilt, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If anything, shouldn't it make is easier to sue him?

Accepting a pardon means admitting guilt, right?

It's not a particularly well-settled area, but the case that discusses it indicates that accepting the pardon is admissible as an implication of guilt. It's not a formal admission, or fully dispositive. It does, however, make civil cases way way easier if everything about getting it admitted goes accordingly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Does it matter if he admits guilt? He was already convicted.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phanatic posted:

Why would it keep the civil suits off him?

I thought if the conviction was vacated then the civil suits couldn't piggyback the assumptive guilt of those charges to levy financial remunerations, but would additionally have to make that case themselves again. Then again Perry Mason didn't teach me this exact situation, so I may be slightly off.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ticki_/status/903272442839355392

https://twitter.com/ticki_/status/903277030736875520

I love this. I love this so much.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

He sounds like trump

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is that site owned by pewdiepie or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.