Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Peas and Rice posted:

My team is working on some design explorations for a company's new brand, and we're doing a bunch of images with space and rockets. Is there a single, iconic KSP rocket design I could send to my art director to slip in there? :jeb:

(I can't do anything too gonzo like 1000 boosters strapped to a MK1 module).

The one from the logo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ya gotta slip in the one on the right

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Groetgaffel posted:

The one from the logo?

Right, I'd forgotten there was one in the logo. We'll have to tweak it enough to be an homage without being a copyright violation.

Otacon posted:

I sent this to my AD already as a reference image :getin:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Peas and Rice posted:

Right, I'd forgotten there was one in the logo. We'll have to tweak it enough to be an homage without being a copyright violation.

It's basically a copy of the Ariane 5 already.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Where the Christ were we planning on going with those big ones? Andromeda?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Otacon posted:

was that one on the right supposed to go to mars or something wtf

e: oh i can't read lmao

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The "Untitled Space Craft" still makes me laugh even though I've seen that image a thousand times. It's perfect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bug Squash posted:

Where the Christ were we planning on going with those big ones? Andromeda?

The James Webb telescope is going to L2, Orion is going to the moon, and some lucky astronauts are going to Mars maybe. Beyond that we aren't really sure what we're going to do with SLS.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What do I edit in my save to make a rescue mission that involves a module with no hatch doable? There was something super easy but I can't find/remember it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think it was changing the part name in the save file.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Crimson Harvest posted:

What do I edit in my save to make a rescue mission that involves a module with no hatch doable? There was something super easy but I can't find/remember it.

Alt-F12 to open the console, contracts, complete contract and be more careful next time.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Crimson Harvest posted:

Open save, find the derelict craft, change part name to something with a hatch

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Also does USILS and KSTS still have that incompatibility issue? the OP of KSTS says it does but ksp modders have been notoriously bad updating that kinda stuff.

I would like to know this, too. I haven't played in awhile but I'm getting that itch to return and this would all but sell me on it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
When did fuel cells switch over to monopropellant? Also when did turning on the cabin lights start taking electric charge? I guess my komrades will have to learn to traverse the void using natural light heh.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
God I miss the old USI drone port thing that let you use LFO to magically toss resources around in the same SOI, made refueling so less tedious. Is there anything like it nowadays? Like I can use KSTS to refuel stuff in kerbin SOI but it's useless if I wanna bring stuff from orbit back down.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zwqikol2Y

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Holy gently caress

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress

Wow. Amazing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's the best thing I've seen all week.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Astronomer's Visual Pack has been updated and re-released for 1.3, and is available on CKAN

8k Kerbin clouds
High-res volumetric clouds
City lights on Kerbin
Bioluminescent clouds for Laythe
7 8k cloud layers for Jool
Glow for all non-atmospheric bodies where relevant
8k auroras
Sandstorms and surface dust
Snow on Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
Lightning on Eve, Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
4k custom skybox by Astronomer
Geysers on Minmus, Laythe, and Eeloo
Optional compatiblity with KSPRC textures
Custom loading screens and tips
Compatiblity with most other cloud packs.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160878-ksp-130-astronomers-visual-pack-updated-and-repackaged-v353-luminosity/

I've been running SVE for so long, and it's nice, but I think I'm going to try AVP out tonight I think.

EDIT: Outer Planets for 1.3 now on CKAN too! Happy days!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 31, 2017

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Otacon posted:

Astronomer's Visual Pack has been updated and re-released for 1.3, and is available on CKAN

8k Kerbin clouds
High-res volumetric clouds
City lights on Kerbin
Bioluminescent clouds for Laythe
7 8k cloud layers for Jool
Glow for all non-atmospheric bodies where relevant
8k auroras
Sandstorms and surface dust
Snow on Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
Lightning on Eve, Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
4k custom skybox by Astronomer
Geysers on Minmus, Laythe, and Eeloo
Optional compatiblity with KSPRC textures
Custom loading screens and tips
Compatiblity with most other cloud packs.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160878-ksp-130-astronomers-visual-pack-updated-and-repackaged-v353-luminosity/

I've been running SVE for so long, and it's nice, but I think I'm going to try AVP out tonight I think.

EDIT: Outer Planets for 1.3 now on CKAN too! Happy days!

That sounds awesome, when I'm done with this GPP game I'll give outer planets a try so I can use it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Pood has a SVE config for Outer Planets, but it's 1.22 only at the moment - I'm holding out hope that since Galileo88 has taken up maintenance on OP, Pood will show up and make it prettier again!

I just uninstalled a New Horizons and SVE for OP and AVP, as New Horizons was overwhelming - started a new save (I didn't get very far in New Horizons) and will post screenshots when I have everything working correctly. So far, Kerbin looks impressive!

Checking back - everything looks fantastic. Definitely worth checking out instead of SVE

EDIT: This last one isn't AVP, but it shows off the New Horizons planet mod pretty well!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

How much Delta v do I need to land a mechassault on Duna?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Delta-v requirements do not change from craft to craft, except for TWR and aerodynamic drag differences.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Delta-v requirements do not change from craft to craft, except for TWR and aerodynamic drag differences.

:goonsay: But in this case it also depends on if the mech is deployed from orbit from a drop pod or if the dropship itself lands and deploys the mechs at or near ground level. You can save around 1000 dV according to the charts for Duna landing, considering aerobreaking savings. I'd assume a near ground level deployment would use as much or more dV than a flat landing depending on the skill of the dropship pilot. Pods are going to be the cheapest dV option as you don't need to push the dropship back up-hill. You are looking at about 5000dv from Kerbin to Duna orbit with pods. From there you can carry on to your primary objective. May your systems be always nominal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4L2sIYR_3M

:eyepop:

We need a :jebpop: smilie.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

:jebstare:
That's hosed.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
poo poo if you can do that, you can feasibly build a space elevator on Duna.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

poo poo if you can do that, you can feasibly build a space elevator on Duna.

Physics range and the immutability of planet orbits maybe not. But you could simulate Duna with a big enough modded asteroid maybe?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Skyhook from Ike.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I thought it was cool as hell already and then at the very end of the video I thought "hey, that doesn't look like Minmus..." :stare:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I wonder why they never made the planetary orbits dynamic. Presumably the dv needed to appreciably change a planetary orbit would mean you'd never gently caress it up accidentally, but planetary relocation is exactly the kind of ridiculous crap you want to see people pull off in KSP

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's n-body simulation. Someone actually has modded that in.

It turns out the planetary orbits aren't stable, so the total dV needed to gently caress up the Kerbin Kerbol system is 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_OQRN1VNA

e: ol

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 8, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

communism bitch posted:

I wonder why they never made the planetary orbits dynamic. Presumably the dv needed to appreciably change a planetary orbit would mean you'd never gently caress it up accidentally, but planetary relocation is exactly the kind of ridiculous crap you want to see people pull off in KSP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01NoaTM46o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was gonna say the level of thrust required is functionally beyond KSP simulation levels.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tooterfish posted:

That's n-body simulation. Someone actually has modded that in.

It turns out the planetary orbits aren't stable, so the total dV needed to gently caress up the Kerbin Kerbol system is 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_OQRN1VNA

e: ol

That's the Jool system, but it's still funny to watch Vall get flung off.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
KSP Challenge: Get to Vall before it's flung out of the Jool system.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Instant Sunrise posted:

KSP Challenge: Get to Vall before it's flung out of the Jool system.
Then, build a base on it and recreate Space:1999 when the inevitable happens.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Any mods you'd rec for a brand new player? Or should I just play through messing around and get the basics down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Kerbal Engineer is the big must-have that will make your life a lot easier once you've spent a little bit time with tutorials to understand what numbers you want to pay attention to. Beyond that, I'd play around with the base game to get a feel for what you'd like to change first. KER is about exposing a ton of essential flight and vehicle characteristics that take a ton of the trial and error out of designing (and flying) rockets that work.

(Kerbal Engineer Redux is the full name for recent versions)

Of note, KER is strictly about transparency. It gives you a bunch of information without making any gameplay changes.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 9, 2017