Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Hmm, my windiest... landed my little Embraer in like 38G48kts in Vegas. Vref + 20 gave me something like 165 kts... and my perfect crosswind technique made the news cuz a celebrity was onboard: http://extratv.com/2017/03/31/jessica-chastain-thought-she-was-going-to-die-during-scary-plane-landing/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46HVle8ReXo
Also, I had the FOQA team look and they said the landing barely registered as far as G loading and both mains registered WoW pretty drat shortly after one another. It wasn't really that eventful at the time but when I had googled Jessica Chastain because the FAs told me she was onboard, I saw those interviews and started cracking up laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Slaughter posted:

Hmm, my windiest... landed my little Embraer in like 38G48kts in Vegas. Vref + 20 gave me something like 165 kts... and my perfect crosswind technique made the news cuz a celebrity was onboard: http://extratv.com/2017/03/31/jessica-chastain-thought-she-was-going-to-die-during-scary-plane-landing/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46HVle8ReXo
Also, I had the FOQA team look and they said the landing barely registered as far as G loading and both mains registered WoW pretty drat shortly after one another. It wasn't really that eventful at the time but when I had googled Jessica Chastain because the FAs told me she was onboard, I saw those interviews and started cracking up laughing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-14906539/plane-bounces-on-leeds-runway-in-strong-winds

News eh? Pubbies eh? Wasn't the windiest, but the one on a quiet news day

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd like to think this is somehow an ATC Memes Photoshop (that's where I saw it) and nothing more but, given the trail, Air Shuttle :wtc:?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heeeees fiiiiiiiine.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd like to think this is somehow an ATC Memes Photoshop (that's where I saw it) and nothing more but, given the trail, Air Shuttle :wtc:?

It's real:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASH6214/history/20170825/1625Z/KIAH/MMQT

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
well look at that fucker that flew right through the eye. what are the tops on a hurricane? I imagine its gotta be well above 45k'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

well look at that fucker that flew right through the eye. what are the tops on a hurricane? I imagine its gotta be well above 45k'

I hope that's a WC-130 or a WP-3.

As for what that would've been like, please read this https://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

edit: NHC advisory from Friday says a NOAA aircraft found the eye at 1pm CDT - that seems consistent?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 28, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

"Looks like an impressive storm!" He shouts above the noise of the four engines. "We need to do the mission at an altitude that's low, but no so low that its real rough and we get bad radar data."
"Well, Hugo's definitely getting his act together," I shout back. "Do you still want to try it at 1,500 feet?"
"Well, we got away with it in Hurricane Gabrielle last week, and Hugo looks like it's about the same strength. Let's try the first penetration at 1,500, and if it's too rough, we'll climb to 5,000," he answers.
"OK, 1,500 it is!" I yell back. As Frank disappears back into the cockpit to take the chief scientist's seat, I get on the intercom.

"Lowell, they want to go in at 1,500 feet. How do you feel about that?" I sound and feel nervous about this choice.
"Fifteen hundred, hey?" he responds. I can tell by his tone of voice he feels none too comfortable with this choice, either. "I'd be happier at 5,000."
"Yeah, me too. But we got away with it last week in Gabrielle, and if it's rough on the first penetration, we can do the rest of the mission at 5,000."
"All right," sighs Lowell. "We'll take her down to 1,500 and see how it goes. Are you happy with this track?"

Can't really blame this one on the pilot as much, but that reads like a Gleim question where the correct answer is:

quote:

Hazardous Attitude 4: Invulnerability
'Nah I dont think it'll happen to me!'
Despite the fact that mishaps in aviation do have a rather low percentage probability, many still rest assured on this fact and oft take it for granted. Such attitudes would compromise vigilance and cause pilots to overlook certain issues that they feel are of less importance (going thru checklist twice, good lookout). Remember accidents can happen to ANYONE!

...which got ignored as gently caress there.

e- I read the whole thing and :tviv:. The P-3 and C-130 are meant to take it. An E175? No, thank you. I'm trying to find a return log on FlightAware and can't, so that plane either didn't go back to IAH or stayed at QRO.

I'm just wondering why somebody between dispatcher/crew/controller didn't route them around it. That is "Move the rig" if I've ever seen it.

On a side note, reading the story with a CHiPs soundtrack video from YouTube playing in the background made for an interesting supplement as long as you got one of the good songs.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 28, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Flew the Seneca for the first time today. Wow is there a lot more poo poo happening, a lot faster, than in a 172. And the money leaves my wallet faster too! I totally get why piston twins are a dying market now...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Reminds me of this tweet I saved years ago:

Untitled Airlanes posted:

This is your captain reminding you to fasten your seat belts;we may experience some mild turbulence as we surf this sweet tornado hell yeah

Somebody reposted the same pic to our company Facebook page, we all had a good laugh until someone pointed it out could have been one of our jets if Mesa hadn't taken the majority of the Houston regional flying lately :aaa:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Flew the Seneca for the first time today. Wow is there a lot more poo poo happening, a lot faster, than in a 172. And the money leaves my wallet faster too! I totally get why piston twins are a dying market now...

I remember leaving the Seminole to fly a 172 again and thinking: "Hu, this is REALLY slow. I'm bored"... at 100 feet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AWSEFT posted:

I remember leaving the Seminole to fly a 172 again and thinking: "Hu, this is REALLY slow. I'm bored"... at 100 feet

I'm taking a buddy flying Wednesday night in the 172 so I guess we'll see.

I remember after dealing with the new procedures for run-up, takeoff and climb, after we levelled out I was like "huh, uh... should I be doing something right now?" before realising it's still just a plane and we need to get out to the practice area.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Butt Reactor posted:

Somebody reposted the same pic to our company Facebook page, we all had a good laugh until someone pointed it out could have been one of our jets if Mesa hadn't taken the majority of the Houston regional flying lately :aaa:

Right, but would your dispatchers have drawn up a flight plan right through a hurricane and/or would any of your captains have said anything other than ":lol: no" when they got the paperwork?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Right, but would your dispatchers have drawn up a flight plan right through a hurricane and/or would any of your captains have said anything other than ":lol: no" when they got the paperwork?

Yes to the first question, hopefully no to the second :stonklol:

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dispatcher: I gave you 1000 lbs extra for deviations and an alternate. It looks like it's starting to die down. I think you'll be fine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

Dispatcher: I gave you 1000 lbs extra for deviations and an alternate. It looks like it's starting to die down. I think you'll be fine.

:laffo:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

vessbot posted:

Hey I was in YYZ just today in a CRJ200. However I'm just far enough from my turboprop days to be a professional complainer of its discomforts.

Congrats!

Hah, 25 hours in and I'm starting to find some things to complain about. For example, I have yet to find a way to look cool climbing into the flight deck.

MrChips posted:

Jees, that was a pretty loving quick transition from A to B to C, well done!

Yep, 4 months. I mean I was having fun and the company was great, but I was miserable in YQT. I'm a much more YYZ type of person.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

"Let me just polish up my resume once we get to the hotel tonight and..."

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Let me just polish up my resume once we get to the hotel tonight and..."

I know this is just a joking remark but I seriously started doing this a couple months ago after the fiasco that was our new pay package and the gradual decline in employee morale this last year or so. On that note, anyone have anyone experience with or know anyone over at Virgin America?

Also preemptive condolences to AZflyboy, I know you guys wanted to the fly the E175 but thanks to mismanagement over at AAG/QX, and our management's apparent desire to start acting like Mesa/Great Lakes, we both know who's getting stuck with those airplanes temporarily :(

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Also preemptive condolences to AZflyboy, I know you guys wanted to the fly the E175 but thanks to mismanagement over at AAG/QX, and our management's apparent desire to start acting like Mesa/Great Lakes, we both know who's getting stuck with those airplanes temporarily :(

What happened with your pay package? Last I'd heard was from early 2016 when you raised the starting pay to $40, but I haven't kept track of it since then.

We got an email from our union about the 175's going to another airline, but our management has now put out a statement saying that those orders are just being pushed back somewhat, so no one seems to know exactly what's going on here.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 31, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Second flight on the Seneca today. I felt slightly less overwhelmed by every single thing, so that's progress I guess! We were in the circuit and all my landings were pretty good.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
+1 goon PPL as of today. Finally got my flying checkride with good weather. On to instrument!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

+1 goon PPL as of today. Finally got my flying checkride with good weather. On to instrument!

Congratulations!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

a patagonian cavy posted:

One of us. Ones of us.

*fart*

One of us.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

What happened with your pay package? Last I'd heard was from early 2016 when you raised the starting pay to $40, but I haven't kept track of it since then.

Somehow we voted in an "Industry Leading" 1% pay raise that applies to the next 4.5 years, with about 45% of the pilot group voting no on that. :cripes:

At least we started implementing a "Soft Landing 2.0" policy that lets other guys jumping from other 121 carriers to carryover their experience in terms of pay. In other words, a 3 year Mesa guy who starts at OO doesn't get first year pay, he gets 3rd year FO pay.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If it goes the same way our "industry leading" contract did and this hiring situation continues, there's no way it'll run the full duration.

When we signed our "industry leading" contract in late 2015 (which locked us into a 1.5% raise for the next 8 years, and kicked in during 2017), there was a general consensus among the pilots that the agreement would go nowhere close to the full duration before management tried to change it.

Less than a month after we signed that contract (and over a year before it even took effect), you guys bumped starting to pay into the $40 range, and since ours was still locked at $32 (with no signing bonus), suddenly no one wanted to work here, and our ability to hire anyone went right out the window. After a year of management trying to find every possible way to just ignore the contract, they finally came to an agreement with the union that raised starting pay into the $40 range (among other things), and even with that, it's likely management will have to re-negotiate the contract yet again within the next 12 months or so.

Whatever is going on with the 175's here seems to be a complete mess. Our former director of training (who got fired after getting DUI #3) apparently screwed up something with the simulator program, which resulted in several check-airmen (and a few captains they'd trained) having to go back and redo some training after the FAA found the screwup, and our head of flight ops was fired after someone realized he'd been lying to the president of the company as well as the Alaska board of directors for the last few months about how bad our staffing issues really were.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Well now that the time has arrived and the pieces are mostly in place, after next week I am finally done doing hoodrat pt135 things and have the required hours for ATP and a class date for Skywest.

Been working towards this for so long it doesn't feel real.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Come to compass instead, and fly with me. $41/hr and a 17,500 signing bonus, do I still have to buy my FO's coffee when they make nearly as much as me? Asking for a friend.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I know this is #firstworldproblems, but I'm really looking forward to the day when I can be a widebody pilot.

Narrowbody flying is really just not my cup of tea. But, I suppose it beats blowing other dudes for money, so I guess I can manage for a few years,

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Come to compass instead, and fly with me. $41/hr and a 17,500 signing bonus, do I still have to buy my FO's coffee when they make nearly as much as me? Asking for a friend.

What's a rough average of paid hours a month? Is there a guaranteed minimum?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

What's a rough average of paid hours a month? Is there a guaranteed minimum?

75 is minimum, living in base as a senior FO I regularly managed 95-105 hrs a month by working a little extra but my schedules were also usually 75 hrs/19-21 days off so I didn't mind picking up an extra little 2 day trip especially if something popped up for 150%. Commuters probably get less, kinda depends how much open time there is and if you trade or how much you want to work, also on reserve or if junior at min days off(11-12 depending on 30/31 day bid period) it's hard to pick up as much since you have the more unproductive trips, tho overall it's pretty decent on the 175 as our average stage length is about 2:30 and you have 2 or 3 legs usually in a day. They can raise the floor to 85 hrs and then everyone gets at least 85, also the PBS can give you anywhere from 75-95 if it decides it needs coverage. If staffing gets as bad as it seems like it is, reserve time will be short to nil and everybody will be flying a bunch until the effect of throwing boatloads of money at the problem kicks in. OO has been eating our lunch as far as west coast pilot applicants for awhile now and it'll be interesting to see if $41/hr first year fixes it and gets pilots in class. They really hosed up by stopping hiring from Jan-June, they had 20-30 people a month in class before then no problem and thought oh, we just turn on the hiring machine again when we want and 20-30 people show up and after a few months of 1-2 people a month have realized just how behind they are. I hit a 2 year upgrade and with attrition where it is, I think it'll probably stay around 2 years for most.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I created the Slack TeamChat everybody wanted a week or two ago.

https://join.slack.com/t/airgoons/shared_invite/MjM1NjI3Nzg2NDUxLTE1MDQ0ODUzMDktNjY5NThlMDQ5Ng

"AirGoons"
Password "airmet"

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Let's talk about NORDO flying.

We all know it's legal - do y'all think it's ok? If not, why not? If yes, what's your justification?

Do you think there's a cutoff? Maybe you think it's totally acceptable because that vintage A/C over there never had an electrical system, or maybe since deaf pilots are a thing NORDO is fine for everyone.

I personally think it's totally okay, since you're not going NORDO into controlled fields, but I'm curious what you nerds think about it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I used to fly NORDO regularly in my ultralight.

However I kept my head on a swivel and flew at altitudes and in ways to avoid the common routes that everyone else flew.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I think it's pretty stupid if you have the option to have a radio. It's an extra safety net you are avoiding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I think it's pretty stupid if you have the option to have a radio. It's an extra safety net you are avoiding.

Yeah, if you can have a radio, you should have a radio, but I have no problem with NORDO aircraft being allowed to fly if there's a reason they can't have a radio.

If you operate NORDO despite having a radio, you are a lazy moron and hopefully you don't take anyone out with you when your laziness leads you to compromise safety in some other way.

Hell, I know guys who carry a backup handheld radio for every night flight to activate ARCAL in the case of an electrical system failure. Maybe overkill, but not the worst idea I've ever heard.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Something else to consider is that NORDO is the only way that deaf pilots can operate.

It would be kind of a dick move to not allow them to fly in uncontrolled airspace.

There are many situations where someone has a radio and it does not provide any assistance to situational awareness (wrong frequency, turned down, etc.)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

helno posted:

Something else to consider is that NORDO is the only way that deaf pilots can operate.

It would be kind of a dick move to not allow them to fly in uncontrolled airspace.

There are many situations where someone has a radio and it does not provide any assistance to situational awareness (wrong frequency, turned down, etc.)

Deaf people fly?

I personally think any sort of NORDO flying is not only unsafe but irresponsible. I fly 99% VFR so NORDO/ no squawk traffic scares the poo poo out of me. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for safety stuff but I'd never take off without a radio.

I mean I guess if you're flying from your local dirt strip to your farm and your 300' and below but even those guys talk on radios.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

A portable radio is like $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Nice to see the GA crowd hasn't lost its aw shucks folksy charm.