Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

always be closing posted:

I bought this 98 Cherokee limited on eBay on sunday, it arrived today, 177k, one owner. I guess the limiteds have every option, this one sure does, its a total creampuff. I will snap some more pics after I detail it and put it up on the lift, but its as clean underneath as it looks up top, I was shocked. Carfax has this thing living its whole life in Brooklyn, NY, no rust or scaling at all. I paid a little more than I usually do for a daily, but im very happy.

Nice one! Yeah that looks like a great example of an XJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I paid a little more than I usually do for a daily, but im very happy.

Do you mind saying what you paid?

I still drool over XJs and they always seem over priced here.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Moey posted:

Do you mind saying what you paid?

I still drool over XJs and they always seem over priced here.

Auction price was $2885, then a $299 dealer fee, and $330 to ship from Philly to Central CT. $3514 total.

E- I feel like xjs are$2500-3k cars, but the rust free body and color got me going. Was scary spinning that before even crawling under it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I bought this 98 Cherokee limited on eBay on sunday, it arrived today, 177k, one owner. I guess the limiteds have every option, this one sure does, its a total creampuff. I will snap some more pics after I detail it and put it up on the lift, but its as clean underneath as it looks up top, I was shocked. Carfax has this thing living its whole life in Brooklyn, NY, no rust or scaling at all. I paid a little more than I usually do for a daily, but im very happy.

Man, that's clean! Someone at work drives one in that era/condition (white, 2wd) and I am constantly telling myself I really don't need to make an offer on it.

What u should do is immediately hack the wheel arches, find out what the cheapest 6" lift is and throw some 33"-35" General Grabbers on it. Definitely needs a lightbar + 200lbs of bumper/stinger/winch otherwise you'll get stuck in the dark and die. Don't forget to post helplessly on your local facebook jeep group about why you're running hot/have deathwobble.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Auction price was $2885, then a $299 dealer fee, and $330 to ship from Philly to Central CT. $3514 total.

E- I feel like xjs are$2500-3k cars, but the rust free body and color got me going. Was scary spinning that before even crawling under it.

In my neck of the woods (CO) that would probably be 6kish.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
That much of a lift and 33"+ tires on an XJ is a pretty big investment to do right IMHO. You really want to strengthen the axles, drop the transfer case, extend all the brake lines, etc. etc. And what's the point of nice big tires if you have open diffs everywhere so might as well go for proper air lockers. At that point you're well over $3k of addons.

For a daily driver a 2.5" budget lift and 31" tires is perfect. No real need to do anything else--you might get some tire rubbing at the extremes of turning the steering wheel but you can just not turn that sharply or put in different lower control arms.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If it were any other poster, I'd have replied the same. Nonesuch knows and I'm 99% sure he was joking.

(My first instinct was going to be "6"? Why would you ever lift it that much, especially for 33" tires?")

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 31, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

If it were any other posted, I'd have replied the same. Nonesuch knows and I'm 99% sure he was joking.

I'M SERIOUS HE NEEDS AT LEAST THREE ROTOPAX AND A HIGHLIFT BEFORE HE JOINS HIS LOCAL JEEP CLUB

No, it's super clean and you should leave it just like it is if it's a daily driver/street car. If not, do like sassinator suggested and go with a ~3" lift/31s. That and a front lunchbox/aussie locker has gotten me everywhere I wanted to go, and a few places I didn't.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I'M SERIOUS HE NEEDS AT LEAST THREE ROTOPAX AND A HIGHLIFT BEFORE HE JOINS HIS LOCAL JEEP CLUB

No, it's super clean and you should leave it just like it is if it's a daily driver/street car. If not, do like sassinator suggested and go with a ~3" lift/31s. That and a front lunchbox/aussie locker has gotten me everywhere I wanted to go, and a few places I didn't.
Speaking of places you want to go, Wanna go to Death Valley this weekend? My uncle and I are going, it'll be a good time!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

In my neck of the woods (CO) that would probably be 6kish.

Same here. If I found an xj in that kind of shape around me for that price I'd be ecstatic.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Speaking of places you want to go, Wanna go to Death Valley this weekend? My uncle and I are going, it'll be a good time!

I've got in-town plans this weekend, but thanks for the offer. I was there in May hiking Telescope Peak; it was already hot so good luck this weekend haha. Take extra ice for the beers - I like to freeze a couple 1l water bottles as they stay frozen a long time, don't melt all over your food and are there for emergencies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Welp.

Someone pulled out in front of my fiance while she was bringing my kid home, pulling out left of a parking lot against traffic. Everyone is okay aside from belt and bag burns/bruises. Front driver side is completely locked up and Mr. Orange Vest Dude is cleaning up the contents of the cooling system it evacuated. Bags deployed so between that and the mystery, and probably serious, damage to the drive train I'm guessing its going to be totaled. A shame too since its got all the fancy Quadra Drive bits and all the amenities worked. I don't have the space or time for a tear down so that's all she wrote.

You'll notice the Hyundai's window still sitting on the hood of the Jeep. :v:

Also,

rip my kid's Nexus 6 that flew out the window.

Current Status: Not Driveable. Probably dead. 0 Jeeps. :(

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 2, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Man that sucks, but everyone is ok. Other driver insured?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

angryrobots posted:

Man that sucks, but everyone is ok. Other driver insured?

As far as I can tell yes but it's a high risk carrier; The General. Since I only had minimums on the Jeep I'm going to have to do all the leg work and I know dealing with that low rent poo poo is going to age me about 5 years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh, that sucks. Glad everyone is okay.

And yes, given the low value of most WJs, I would be very surprised if that wasn't a total.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Glad everyone is okay.

And yes, given the low value of most WJs, I would be very surprised if that wasn't a total.

Yeah, I'm 100% sure it's totaled.

Just got back from the waiting room at the hospital though and they took her back for CT's. Probably some busted ribs, a broken collar bone and not liking the sound of her left lung. If we haven't already passed state minimums for injury we're getting awfully close. :/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress. They really need to up state minimums. Being low doesn't help anyone. My youngest brother had state minimums and is dealing with the fallout of lawsuits from a crash he caused, just from property damage.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Seems fitting the other driver had this hanging from their rearview mirror

edit: CT back. Bruised ribs and lung so they're releasing her to bed rest.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 2, 2017

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Had my soft top ripped off by a bullshit garage door this morning :( It came down as I was exiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDZMc0RoYw

I was waiting right under the gate as that's where I was when I saw the old lady passing by. Apparently the sensor isn't compatible with my Jeep somehow as I see other cars sit there forever there sometimes. As she heard the noise she just did an exaggerated sarcastic shrug as she walked off.

Both front latches that tighten the soft top snapped off and shattered plastic all over me (you can see that stuff falling in the rear cam view). It bent both folding main tubes going lengthways and destroyed the zipper for the driver rear removable window. It was completely hosed. Just threw the entire thing in the trash.

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 7, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuna posted:

Had my soft top ripped off by a bullshit garage door this morning :( It came down as I was exiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDZMc0RoYw

I was waiting right under the gate as that's where I was when I saw the old lady passing by. Apparently the sensor isn't compatible with my Jeep somehow as I see other cars sit there forever there sometimes. As she heard the noise she just did an exaggerated sarcastic shrug as she walked off.

Both front latches that tighten the soft top snapped off and shattered plastic all over me (you can see that stuff falling in the rear cam view). It bent both folding main tubes going lengthways and destroyed the zipper for the driver rear removable window. It was completely hosed. Just threw the entire thing in the trash.

Time for a trek top! :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:shepspends:

Orders inbound for:
ARB OME HD lift springs - often called a 3" lift but real world is somewhere between 2" and 3". The bigger thing is they lift the front up more than the rear and get rid of the rake.
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Kevin's Offroad transfer case skidplate
JKS adjustable trackbar

Plus I've got new front lower control arms and upper control arm bushings already delivered, and new coil spring isolators that have been sitting around for months. I'll pull the 2" budget boost and saggy stock springs off of it and see if I can perhaps sell/trade the budget boost pucks for some wheel spacers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Orders inbound for:
ARB OME HD lift springs - often called a 3" lift but real world is somewhere between 2" and 3". The bigger thing is they lift the front up more than the rear and get rid of the rake.
Bilstein 5100 shocks
JKS adjustable trackbar

Plus I've got new front lower control arms and upper control arm bushings already delivered, and new coil spring isolators that have been sitting around for months. I'll pull the 2" budget boost and saggy stock springs off of it and see if I can perhaps sell/trade the budget boost pucks for some wheel spacers.

I've run bilstein 5100s on my last 2 jeeps and LOVE the ride quality with those + Evo Plush Ride coils.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

Orders inbound for:
Bilstein 5100 shocks
JKS adjustable trackbar

Nice, that's basically my setup on my XJ and I love it with 31" AT tires. Feels perfect on the street, but still able to bang around trails off road. I love the Bilestein shocks--you will really notice they're firm in all the right ways and make cornering a lot smoother.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

Time for a trek top! :)

They make the bikini top + dust top which seems like a direction I might go in considering my configuration. Having an entire roof in socal seems selfish when so many in Florida will be needing them come Tuesday.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll pull the 2" budget boost and saggy stock springs off of it and see if I can perhaps sell/trade the budget boost pucks for some wheel spacers.

How much do you want for them?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know if this fits better here or the stupid questions thread, but why are there nearly no resources for making Jeeps into better street cars? The majority of them have never been on anything except a paved road, so why are there almost no lowered suspensions or similar mods on the market?

Every search I've done just shows Jeep purists mocking the idea and people getting custom setups for waaay too much money

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Door Frame posted:

I don't know if this fits better here or the stupid questions thread, but why are there nearly no resources for making Jeeps into better street cars? The majority of them have never been on anything except a paved road, so why are there almost no lowered suspensions or similar mods on the market?

Every search I've done just shows Jeep purists mocking the idea and people getting custom setups for waaay too much money

The market is flooded by vehicles that would excel at whatever your end goal of making a Wrangler into a better street ride is. Go buy a crossover and save yourself the time and money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

clam ache posted:

How much do you want for them?

I'm going to see if I can get lucky and trade them for some wheel spacers locally first - doubtful since wheel spacers tend to go for more than spring spacers, but who knows. Otherwise, I dunno, $50 plus shipping?

The Door Frame posted:

Most Jeeps never leave pavement ( :sad: ) but those poor fools buy them for the image. Look at how many JKs get bought, lifted with big tires, and still never hit dirt. You also need to split Jeeps into two categories here - Jeeps that were really built to go offroad, mostly meaning ones with solid axles front and rear, and "Jeeps" that were built to capitalize on the image while still being ultimately pavement-based (Compass, Patriot, Renegade, current Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, etc). The latter category is already perfectly fine on the roads, but if you really wanted to they share parts with other models (or even other trim models, i.e. SRT and Trackhawk) that might be even more pavement-centric.

For the former category of solid-axle Jeeps, the factory setup is as good as it gets for typical on-pavement driving. There isn't much you can do to a truck with two solid axles to make it not somewhat lovely on pavement. Your best bet are going to be the ones with coil springs all around (TJ, JK, ZJ, WJ) instead of partly / fully leaf sprung setups. Even then, you're dealing with a suspension design with a huge amount of unsprung weight, a lot of joints, and the only adjustment you have when stock is toe. Lower / stiffer springs are just going to make it ride worse with probably no improvement in handling, and they'd be giving up that all-important image.

To put it another way - the only way to get any camber at all on a "true" Jeep is to get a 2WD front beam axle and bend or cut-and-weld it. The market for that is pretty much just the people who race XJs and MJs in Lemons.

EightBit posted:

The market is flooded by vehicles that would excel at whatever your end goal of making a Wrangler into a better street ride is. Go buy a crossover and save yourself the time and money.

Or in a nutshell, this. The Renegade / new Cherokee / new Grand Cherokee are infinitely better at on-pavement driving, whether for comfort or handling, than any solid-axle Jeep. And unlike a Wrangler, each of those has solid competitors that aren't made by FCA!

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 11, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to see if I can get lucky and trade them for some wheel spacers locally first - doubtful since wheel spacers tend to go for more than spring spacers, but who knows. Otherwise, I dunno, $50 plus shipping?

Most Jeeps never leave pavement ( :sad: ) but those poor fools buy them for the image. Look at how many JKs get bought, lifted with big tires, and still never hit dirt. You also need to split Jeeps into two categories here - Jeeps that were really built to go offroad, mostly meaning ones with solid axles front and rear, and "Jeeps" that were built to capitalize on the image while still being ultimately pavement-based (Compass, Patriot, Renegade, current Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, etc). The latter category is already perfectly fine on the roads, but if you really wanted to they share parts with other models (or even other trim models, i.e. SRT and Trackhawk) that might be even more pavement-centric.

For the former category of solid-axle Jeeps, the factory setup is as good as it gets for typical on-pavement driving. There isn't much you can do to a truck with two solid axles to make it not somewhat lovely on pavement. Your best bet are going to be the ones with coil springs all around (TJ, JK, ZJ, WJ) instead of partly / fully leaf sprung setups. Even then, you're dealing with a suspension design with a huge amount of unsprung weight, a lot of joints, and the only adjustment you have when stock is toe. Lower / stiffer springs are just going to make it ride worse with probably no improvement in handling, and they'd be giving up that all-important image.

To put it another way - the only way to get any camber at all on a "true" Jeep is to get a 2WD front beam axle and bend or cut-and-weld it. The market for that is pretty much just the people who race XJs and MJs in Lemons.

Or in a nutshell, this. The Renegade / new Cherokee / new Grand Cherokee are infinitely better at on-pavement driving, whether for comfort or handling, than any solid-axle Jeep. And unlike a Wrangler, each of those has solid competitors that aren't made by FCA!

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. They're not just "not meant to be street cars" on a conceptual level, they're literally not built to be able to be good street cars without basically destroying the vehicle. No wonder everyone is so immediately dismissive of the idea, despite demonstrable proof that most Jeeps never see anything more difficult than a gravel road.
I was wondering why the RCR Comanche video focused so much on the front suspension changes, when lowering cars ~3" normally doesn't need that much effort. And I like 80's and 90's "real" Jeeps, but was wondering if they can be built to be more practical for everyday use, since I'd only ever be on dirt once or twice a year, and wouldn't need the kind of Jeep that I really like. I guess my answer is a resounding NO

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I've seen that one before, but yes, that's the level of work required to lower a live-axle Jeep. Unlike pretty much every truck of a similar vintage, 2WD Jeeps maintain the exact same suspension design as the 4WD Jeeps.

I think that MJ is cool and I'm glad he did it, but... that's a lot of work for very limited results. It might not have been much more work to retrofit a Mustang II style IFS and the end product would be better.

If you really want to go fast around a corner in something with a Jeep badge on it, and you aren't trying to do that because you want to spend a ton of time designing and fabricating suspension pieces, get a SRT8 Grand Cherokee.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'd rather have a Jimny based "jeep" to throw around corners, but thank you for taking such a dumb question seriously

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My Jeep's front end has sounded like poo poo for quite a while - clattering and clanking, not with rotations but whenever I hit a bump. It sounded like suspension to me. I replaced all of the lower control arm bushings recently to try getting rid of the noise. I have all of the uppers waiting to go on as well. The u-joints were changed less than 6 months ago so I didn't think it could possibly be them making the noise.

I changed them last night and all of the noise is gone, despite the joints looking fine and feeling fine when rolling the complete shaft around outside of the jeep. After removing the caps I can't even see anything wrong that would have made so much noise. I'm glad to have corrected the problem but I kind of wish one of the caps had been filled with metal dust or something so the problem would be obvious.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you haven't yet, check the front stabilizer bar and its bushings and endlinks too. The bushings in mine were shot and the whole bar could flop around with barely any efforts (normally if you tug on the stabilizer bar it should be pretty darn rock solid and not move at all). The loose stabilizer actually worked out one of the nuts on a stabilizer end link and was causing even more rattling and clanging on bumps. I swapped in new bushings and tightened it all up and it's been perfect over bumps now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had (what was left of) this bushing causing a loud clank when I hit the brakes in reverse:

The other axle side bushing was similarly bad. The inner sleeves were fully disconnected from the rubber.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had (what was left of) this bushing causing a loud clank when I hit the brakes in reverse:

The other axle side bushing was similarly bad. The inner sleeves were fully disconnected from the rubber.

The axle side uppers are the only bushings that have never been changed on my Jeep. I've had a pair of OE bushings but I haven't seen a good chance to do the swap. I think I'll need my ball joint press to change them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's what I've used on mine. It's a pain in the rear end to keep that thin steel on the passenger side from bending instead of taking the bushing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hah, that's exactly what I used as I was doing ball joints at the same time anyways. "Hey this looks like it could work!"

It worked.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

The axle side uppers are the only bushings that have never been changed on my Jeep. I've had a pair of OE bushings but I haven't seen a good chance to do the swap. I think I'll need my ball joint press to change them.

There's a tool for that specifically that's basically a long bolt that pulls a washer under the bushing. You can make your own with pipe long bolts and strong washers.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

EightBit posted:

This reminded me, the only street-specific custom wrangler I daydream about is a YJ with a supercharged smallblock chevy, but even here I can find a better base to use, but they just don't sound as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Proper (as in proper) off-road suspension will also handle very well on-road. Good geometry, good springs, good shocks, and some good* sway bars, and you'll be better off on and off road.

* - disconnectable, off course.