Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chinook posted:

Thank you for that story. :byobear: That's a pretty impressive kill for so early on in the game.

If I ever say "pfft, how bad could it be?" again, slap me! :v: I now know why you all treat bears so seriously! I swear that fight took me over 30-40min IRL, easily! It just devolved into a punch-up so quickly, after I was knocked around by that bear. I'm so glad the bear started stumbling/falling over before I did, since if I had been the one to fall over first, I doubt the bear would've given me a chance to get back up again...

On the topic of bears, I know I'm gonna have to roast and trade away most of the meat, but what should I do with the pelt? Trade it too, or keep it for winter/later?

EDIT: Oh also, there's a lake near a couple of friendly villages, and from memory the lake had a small island on it. So, if i build a raft (or should I get a punt? Not sure how/where I would get one, though) would I be able to ditch it in a cove or something on the lake shore, for weeks on end? Or will it despawn, as it's outside a settlement, etc.? Also, I know Galaga Galaxian mentioned using a punt to ferry logs for a cabin from one location to another; are rafts also good for this, or are they just straight-up worse?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I have picked up Spelunky and I'm super bad at it. Pretty sure my teenager self would have beaten this game in less than a week. Growing older has killed my reflexes and coordination. Anyone knows any good video guide or informative LP?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Angry Lobster posted:

I have picked up Spelunky and I'm super bad at it. Pretty sure my teenager self would have beaten this game in less than a week. Growing older has killed my reflexes and coordination. Anyone knows any good video guide or informative LP?
Here's the beforeiplay for it. That should help.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Are there any good resources out there explaining how Unexplored is even remotely winnable? Maybe a good let's play? I'm not totally incompetent, but I can't get below level 5 or so and I feel like I'm missing a bunch of important tricks.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Are there any good resources out there explaining how Unexplored is even remotely winnable? Maybe a good let's play? I'm not totally incompetent, but I can't get below level 5 or so and I feel like I'm missing a bunch of important tricks.

Is there something specific that's holding you back? There's a lot of stuff you need to piece together from books and by buying drinks before a run.

Generally, I like to hit all branching paths before moving on to the main path. The only ways I've found of determining if I'm on the main path is to either run into a vivid blue teleporter, which sends my character up to the branching floor, or running into another branching floor. If you're going to quaff ID potions, do it early in your run and with a few healing items at the ready. Chug strength potions as soon as you get them, but don't drink life potions until you autoheal. Life potions are prioritized before health potions when autohealing.

If you see braziers either side by side or in a square configuration, light a torch and light them up. Chances are, you found a hidden chest.

If you're ever locked behind a door without a switch or key handy, pray near it. Usually, that'll give you a circle to stand in that will open it permanently. It's also really handy for gold and puzzle doors.

Similarly, I picked up In Celebration of Violence this weekend. I wrote about it (and, specifically, the fire effects) in PYF Little Things In Games, but it's a fun little action roguelike like Unexplored, but bloodier, a bit slower, and with much more of an emphasis on combat. There is a definite learning curve, but I haven't been able to stop playing it since I first loaded it up.

Some tips for it:
  • Experience points are currency, and vice versa. Buy heirlooms if you can afford them, especially the higher priced ones, and destroy heirloom crystals to get a decent amount of experience points and glass. While there is a list of what heirlooms exist and do in the community guides section, it isn't complete and there is no in game description of exactly what they do. This is really annoying, but heirlooms are still generally worth it.
  • The circles in the middle of heirloom crystals are teleporters. Walk on them to turn them on, then stay on them to move between other teleporters in the level.
  • When you come to a stockpile, there will be one resource you can trade to get experience points. Sell as much as you have, up to a maximum stockpile of 100, for a shitload of experience.
  • The magic system is weird. When you cast a spell, it creates a debt that gets filled by collecting experience points. If you have multiple spells, they will be paid off at the same time. For example, if I cast two spells then collect an experience point, both of those spells would have their debts reduced by one.
  • You can bank experience points for future characters after every boss. DO THIS. Also, if you shatter the mirror after defeating a boss and use the shard that breaks off, you can save and quit. There is no save and quit feature other than this, which is one of the most annoying parts of the game.
  • The only other way to bank experience points is by killing. When you die, you will bank a percentage of your current experience points based on your percentage of violence committed, i.e. how many people you have killed.
  • When spending experience points, prioritize Strength first. High Strength adds to your weapon power, which is used to break things. You can also break rocks and trees using healing surges near them, but those are limited and only refill after bosses.
  • Throw some points into Speed, too. The default movement speed is ponderous.
  • Start a fire. Shoot an arrow through the fire. Watch the world burn.

Looking at it's Steam page so I could link to it, it's now on sale for $5.99, after I already bought it, goddammit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/509570/In_Celebration_of_Violence/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, in addition to my boat question earlier, how much space does smoked meat take? Since I'm thinking of building a 2x2 smoking hut/sauna when I get the chance (which I'll also sleep in, prior to erecting my main cabin, seeing as there are no suitable caves for me to dwell in), but I'm not sure how much meat I'll be able to smoke, in the two spare tiles I'll have. (Since the fireplace will take one, and the water bucket will presumably fill a second spot. I'll have the firewood dumped outside, unless that's a bad idea due to rain)
So, can you just have multiple cords of meat on one square of floor space, or do you need to put it up on the walls, or?

Thanks! (Oh also, just thought - when I build my main cabin, is it best to have the fireplace in the centre, or like, against a wall?)

EDIT: Oh, another thing, which I noticed during my fight with the bear. Is using the 'dodge' reaction to being attacked better than 'counter-attack' reactions, in terms of purely avoiding being hit? Since I noticed that 'counter-attack' only seems to be available when you have a weapon, rather than using your fists. (So I guess it could be a straight-up upgrade, to effectively be 'dodge+attack', but thought I'd better ask, rather than test it in a real life-or-death situation!)

EDIT EDIT: Oh, got another couple of questions. (Sorry :D ) So, generally speaking, are edge attacks ever better than pierce attacks? (Mostly referring to weapons such as the kaumolainen spear, which can perform either) Since I mean, pierce attacks presumably register as doing less damage to the hide of animals, plus it'll be more likely to punch through Njerpez armour. Unless you're using a sword of some kind, is it best to just always stab/thrust with weapons?

Also, are cellars "thief-proof"? Like, I'm thinking of building a cellar on the little island I mentioned earlier, prior to building my house - just so I can hopefully store things, without them being ruined or taken. (e.g. the battered bear hide I've got; since I'm torn between trading it and keeping it for winter clothing) So yeah, I'm tempted to build a cellar before trying to assemble a smoking hut/sauna, just so I have a little safe place to leave my stuff, while I'm away. (Speaking of smoking huts, can I use one of the nearby village's saunas as a temporary smoking hut? Or will they be pissed off and/or try to nick my meat?)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Oh finally, (for now...) if I want to kick a man in the groin during a fight, will I need to 'aim' my kick and his body area, or the leg area? I'm assuming it's the latter, but well, I'm still fairly uncertain.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 29, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Lobster posted:

Psychedelic Eyeball did a great Spelunky LP a few years ago.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

pumpinglemma posted:

Stealth above all things, because it means you can double damage an enemy without having to worry about their weapon. Spears are really good for this due to their jab. You can hide in low light by wearing a cloak (and not heavy armour) and pressing yourself against edges. You'll get a feel for how much you can move around when hidden to maintain it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/GoldenKroneGame/status/902358716770656256

I would be down for more games with this kind of bonkers mode

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKroneGame/status/902358716770656256

I would be down for more games with this kind of bonkers mode

I'd honestly like that for a lot of games, especially if i could like adjust the opacity of one vs the other with a slider.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just fired up Sky Rogue for the first time in awhile, and it's still fun! It's only barely a roguelikelikelike, but if you want an arcadey flight combat game, you absolutely should give it a shot. Pick a plane, pick a loadout, deploy from your flying aircraft carrier, destroy mission targets while dodging enemy fighters, SAMs, drones, and of course the enemy flying aircraft carriers. Gain money to spend on upgrading your loadout, and tech points to spend when you die on new planes and weapons.

I'm kind of sad that you no longer can do a bombing run on aircraft carrier control towers to one-shot them (like you could in previous versions), but the replacement of shooting down their engines is acceptable and almost certainly better-balanced. At least bombs are still useful for taking down AWACS planes! :pseudo:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rolled through a UV 100%-kill run of Doom with a shotgun Marine. Actually really pleased with the run - it wasn't anything special and I didn't get any particularly shiny things by the end of it, let alone poke my head into Mort/Limbo, but I did play pretty well in some nasty scrapes and got a satisfying showdown with the Spider Mastermind at the end. Just need to get a couple more Gold achievements and I'm back where my save file used to be before I restarted.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Finally got a victory in Golden Krone Hotel. For as simple as the game seems at first sight, it's a lot of fun. Also I'm really bad at roguelikes.

Has anyone played Distrust? It's discounted until tomorrow with extra discount from a coupon but I haven't really heard anything about it. Looks interesting though. http://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust/

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Stealth above all things, because it means you can double damage an enemy without having to worry about their weapon. Spears are really good for this due to their jab. You can hide in low light by wearing a cloak (and not heavy armour) and pressing yourself against edges. You'll get a feel for how much you can move around when hidden to maintain it.

That's a lesson I've never been able to fully learn in Unexplored. Killing things doesn't net you anything but whatever they may have equipped and maybe some gold, so the smart thing to do is move past whatever won't give you anything. Every bat is a potential chunk of health gone.

That said, I'd recommend dipping into hard mode and getting the achievements which upgrade any classes you have unlocked. Starting a warrior with a guaranteed ring of swordsmanship is fun, especially when you pop skill stones into it. Stealth is smart. Being able to swing a scimitar with no cooldown is fun.

Back to In Celebration of Violence, there are circles on the ground that can be powered by killing things in them, including some of the circles left by casting magic. In my current run, I have a level 4 longsword with a fire enchantment and enough weapon power to cleave through metal doors. I can no longer kill enemies within circles because the force of being hit with my sword makes them careen off-screen so fast that the game doesn't register their deaths until they're well outside of the circles. I kind of love this game.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Kornel's finally got some new Jupiter Hell video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0IpNxqt34s

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

madjackmcmad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0IpNxqt34s

"Why didn't I get a KS backer email about this - oh"

... I want it. :stwoon:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there any good roguelikes for Android?

I see DCSS is on the play store but idk too much about it other than it likes to kill ya dead

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can the op put some Android stuff in the op plz

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I see DCSS is on the play store but idk too much about it other than it likes to kill ya dead

Well, there is Pathos, which is a straight up NetHack with a (very good, IMO) touch interface, and a nice, responsive developer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Why didn't I get a KS backer email about this - oh"

... I want it. :stwoon:
Yeah, I would pay a lot of money for this. Or even a 'serial numbers filed off' Jupiter Hell style version of it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Difference between nethack and dcss?

Looking for something to scratch that itch

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

General Emergency posted:

Finally got a victory in Golden Krone Hotel. For as simple as the game seems at first sight, it's a lot of fun. Also I'm really bad at roguelikes.

Has anyone played Distrust? It's discounted until tomorrow with extra discount from a coupon but I haven't really heard anything about it. Looks interesting though. http://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust/

There was a tiny little write up for Distrust in Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/24/steam-best-games-august-2017/#more-471923

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

madjackmcmad posted:

That is amazingly unappealing =[ Shame, because I really enjoyed the unfinished AliensRL and was being mollified that at least Kornel's new project was going to be similar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Difference between nethack and dcss?

Looking for something to scratch that itch
Nethack is clunky and mired in old school game design and absolutely requires that you have a wiki open at all times even after you learn all its eccentricities.

DCSS, for better or worse, is almost slavishly dedicated to being the most simple 'traditional' roguelike available.

Or, to put it another way: DCSS has an SA thread. Nethack does not.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Nethack is clunky and mired in old school game design and absolutely requires that you have a wiki open at all times even after you learn all its eccentricities.

DCSS, for better or worse, is almost slavishly dedicated to being the most simple 'traditional' roguelike available.

Yes it does! It's just kind of dead, because there's nothing to discuss about Nethack that hasn't already been talked to death. It's an old game that's pretty much been solved!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

once you learn nethack you can play without a wiki very easily it's not actually that complicated

literally all of the instant deaths are avoidable with mild effort and knowing where to go when, especially since the game gives you a wand of wishing before it really starts to throw anything too outrageous at you, and there's a decent chance you'll get a magic lamp fairly early anyway. the item effects are mostly straightforward and once you know what you need to survive ascension the game becomes a matter of assembling the right stuff and then (probably) winning.

the only reason i could see someone skilled needing to consult a reference is for the really detailed price identification and you're really ruining the game for yourself if you engage in that kind of tedium.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 31, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
DCSS is a game about alternately pressing the autoexplore and autofight keys until you have slain the 100,000 rats, sheep, orcs, nagas, or vault guards between you and the end of the level, depending on current branch.

It would be a fun game if it was maybe 1/3rd as long.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
You've been playing the wrong combos.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

DCSS is a game about alternately pressing the autoexplore and autofight keys until you have slain the 100,000 rats, sheep, orcs, nagas, or vault guards between you and the end of the level, depending on current branch.
Then stop playing minotaurs

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, I'm new-ish to straight roguelikes, so I decided to give DCSS and Pathos a try on my phone. Seems like it'll be a good ol' time of getting loving murdered against the wall.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Serephina posted:

That is amazingly unappealing =[ Shame, because I really enjoyed the unfinished AliensRL and was being mollified that at least Kornel's new project was going to be similar.

The Kornel part of that post was a joke.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Bought tangledeep and I'm really impressed. The #1 thing on my wishlist is a muuuuch better interface for crafting and eating food if you intend to keep it as essential as it is now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Count Uvula posted:

The Kornel part of that post was a joke.

Oh thank god

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

verbal enema posted:

There are some really good ones, like Hoplite and Sproggiwood (fantastic goon roguelike, must buy) but I'm gonna toss a mention out for Pixel Dungeon. Pixel dungeon is a pretty solid and traditional roguelike, and 100% free on mobile, no in-app purchases. It's $5 on steam, however. The original platform is mobile, so it controls well. There's also a bunch of forks if you want something a bit more/easier/whatever.

Turns out there are a few more roguelike titles for android since I last bothered to seriously check, so I might report back on a few of them I don't recall hearing about after investigating. With maybe a more indepth write than I just halfassed on Pixel Dungeon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hyperrogue is on android too, give that one a try.
Not a very traditional RPG-ey roguelike though. It's kind of puzzley gameplay, where the enemies and player all die in one hit. The selling point is that the whole game uses hyperbolic geometry (instead of normal euclidean geometry where squares are square and parallel lines are a thing that can exist), and a lot of the gameplay is based on the weird and unfamiliar properties arising from that.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 31, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, to be precise, hyperbolic geometry does have parallel lines, they just act differently from parallel lines in Euclidean geometry. Specifically, they don't stay a fixed distance apart (you literally can't construct lines with that property in the hyperbolic plane) and instead diverge without crossing. As an example of how this affects gameplay, it means you can escape from a same-speed enemy by just walking away "diagonally" in a straight line; every other path is strictly slower than the one you're walking, so the enemy will fall behind.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
For the past x years I've only played Qud on a machine with at least 8GB ram (which is 16 today), so imagine my surprise when the lovely 4GB laptop I bought for RLs in bed chugged along as my esper tried to cross a screen just a bit past Joppa. :c

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

megane posted:

Well, to be precise, hyperbolic geometry does have parallel lines, they just act differently from parallel lines in Euclidean geometry. Specifically, they don't stay a fixed distance apart (you literally can't construct lines with that property in the hyperbolic plane) and instead diverge without crossing. As an example of how this affects gameplay, it means you can escape from a same-speed enemy by just walking away "diagonally" in a straight line; every other path is strictly slower than the one you're walking, so the enemy will fall behind.
:psyduck:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

It's quicker to cut across the diagonal three spaces than it is to move one over and three up, unless you actually charge for the extra distance moved on the diagonal. Think chess movement where some pieces move diagonal and some don't.

In some tactical games (say D&D 3rd edition) moving your first diagonal costs 1 movement, and your second costs two, then one again, then two. They're essentially charging you 1.5 movement for each diagonal, which roughly works out most of the time. In some games, you are not allowed to move diagonally.

So, with hyperbolic geometry, I'm guessing that moving in a specific direction is one move for you, but essentially 1.5 (or probably a slightly different fraction of a whole step), meaning you're essentially moving diagonally while making the other guys pay the cost. How wrong am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Basically, a line is defined as the shortest path between two points. So in Euclidean geometry, that's a "straight line", and in spherical geometry it's an arc across the sphere's surface. Lines in hyperbolic geometry look like curves on the disc.