Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
So I've been reading this book on Deification from a Catholic perspective and I have to tell you guys I love the sources this guy uses (Church Fathers, modern Orthodox theologians) but his method is obnoxious. He is obsessed with demonstrating that Deification is essentially a Biblical teaching and not some kind of Hellenist addition. I guess because of my theology of religions I don't care if we were influenced by the culture Christianity encountered, that just makes Christianity Catholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Isn't Paul, like, the most important theologician in the church( or at least for his time)? I doubt he'd be so passionate about spreading the gospel to the world, if he was just a run of the mill narcissist, but as a christian you sort of have to believe that he isn't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tias posted:

I doubt he'd be so passionate about spreading the gospel to the world, if he was just a run of the mill narcissist

I have no horse in this race in particular, but in general: really? You don't see the appeal there, or the potential comparisons to hucksters and false prophets the world over?

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's why I said, -as a christian-. He really did a biblical(heh) job of empowering christians to spread and understand their faith, and I for one think he's a cool dude in many ways.

I mean, go that route, and you may as well say Jesus was a fake, after all, he was just one of many guys walking around Jerusalem with a posse talking poo poo about the others and cautioning people to think about God.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My point isn't to cast aspersions on Paul or on Christ, only that there are lots of scams that benefit from widespread recruitment. If I remember correctly the CCC even makes the point that you can't reason your way to Christ's authenticity, only to the existence of God in general.

e: or, given how Christianity tends to lean in pretty hard on the "God can and does make good out of evil," thing, that a fraud couldn't spread a divinely inspired message. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 31, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sure, you're right.

That aside, I also think you can like Paul and still disagree with him. I mean, I'm evidently not too hot on the whole subjugation of women and queers thing - but perhaps he was what God had to use at the time, as seems to be the case a lot of times.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Josef bugman posted:

Suffering often doesn't make people grow though, it just breaks them up into little pieces. How much of that style of idea is based on just making the "just world" hypothesis that much wider.

For Christians suffering is a positive thing.

Romans 5:3-5English Standard Version (ESV)

3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think I mentioned previously but I'd appreciate prayers for my roommate and myself in our hurried move these next few days. I took a job teaching science at a Native American tribal college and will be doing outreach to the local high- and middle-schools which are struggling greatly. Personally I'm looking forward to the change of pace but it's a lot of work and a significant burden on my roomie.

Pray for those in the way of Harvey, and everyone else first.

But, any and all thoughts are appreciated as I move across country.

There seems to be a magic threshold when you hit 30 and all of a sudden living near your parents and close family is very appealing :unsmith:

am I... nesting??

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Losing Paul would mean losing First Corinthians 13, which, no.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

There seems to be a magic threshold when you hit 30 and all of a sudden living near your parents and close family is very appealing :unsmith:

am I... nesting??
i still live in a succession of east german hostels, so: no?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

If you have kids, being able to dump them with grandma for a weekend once in a while becomes an incredible value add.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I respect Paul as a teacher and a Godly man, and also take some comfort in the knowledge that being an extremely goony dude who was probably a pain in the rear end to be around is not incompatible with being Godly.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pellisworth posted:

I think I mentioned previously but I'd appreciate prayers for my roommate and myself in our hurried move these next few days. I took a job teaching science at a Native American tribal college and will be doing outreach to the local high- and middle-schools which are struggling greatly. Personally I'm looking forward to the change of pace but it's a lot of work and a significant burden on my roomie.

am I... nesting??

I want to leave the united states and never return

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

docbeard posted:

Losing Paul would mean losing First Corinthians 13, which, no.

Btw where/when is the story in your av from?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Btw where/when is the story in your av from?

That's Dirk Willems, an Anabaptist martyr from the Netherlands in the 1500s, probably the most famous one. The scene depicted is of him turning back during an attempted escape from prison while running across a frozen lake to rescue the pursuing guard who'd fallen through the ice. This led to his being recaptured and eventually executed.

The image is from the illustrated version of Martyr's Mirror, which is chock full of heartwarming stories like this one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

am I... nesting??

I'll be burning the 4 winds incense for you and yours. If you get the time and space, I'd love to hear about the tribal college and the people there.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
The Red Letter Christians don't explicitly reject Paul but their dislike of Paul is a good part of the reason why they call themselves Red Letter Christians (for those who don't know, the actual words of Jesus were printed in a red font in many KJV Bibles.)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have no horse in this race in particular, but in general: really? You don't see the appeal there, or the potential comparisons to hucksters and false prophets the world over?

I think most secular historians, who discount supernatural explanations for Paul's conversion, still agree that Paul had some sort of profound experience that caused him to convert. It doesn't really make any sense otherwise; Paul was in a fairly nice position of power in Judea and threw it all away to go become a poor traveling itinerant preacher/tentmaker committing some light treason against the empire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

The Red Letter Christians don't explicitly reject Paul but their dislike of Paul is a good part of the reason why they call themselves Red Letter Christians (for those who don't know, the actual words of Jesus were printed in a red font in many KJV Bibles.)

I think most secular historians, who discount supernatural explanations for Paul's conversion, still agree that Paul had some sort of profound experience that caused him to convert. It doesn't really make any sense otherwise; Paul was in a fairly nice position of power in Judea and threw it all away to go become a poor traveling itinerant preacher/tentmaker committing some light treason against the empire.

Paul is generally a lot more progressive than the KJV Christians want you to think. He makes for a lot of good regressive sound bites, but taken in context he's pretty good.

It usually takes going back to the original Greek meaning of the words, and putting them in the context of 1st century Roman society, though, which is hard so most people don't do it. Plus it's a lot easier to quote the English version to confirm your biases. We recently studied this book in our Sunday School class, which was useful to a lot of people.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I'd agree that Paul was much more progressive than a lot of his detractors give him credit for when viewed in the lens of his time. He actually has a much better view towards women than some of the early church fathers, at least.

The last group of people who started hating Paul were literally the Nazis though, so it's important to keep views of Paul limited to what he said in his time rather than trying to project modern ideologies onto the poor guy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Deteriorata posted:

It usually takes going back to the original Greek meaning of the words, and putting them in the context of 1st century Roman society, though, which is hard so most people don't do it. Plus it's a lot easier to quote the English version to confirm your biases. We recently studied this book in our Sunday School class, which was useful to a lot of people.
I've read that!

Mostly I just tend to find that Jesus and Paul have a lot more in common than many people realize.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I apologize in advance for what is going to be a poor description, but maybe someone will have a clue what I'm talking about and it seemed the correct place.

Years and years ago I watched some documentary discussing the afterlife views of various religions and at one point they got to (perhaps a particular sect, I don't recall) Christian beliefs and discussed this odd thing I hadn't heard before. Basically, the sorting system (? it was unclear) that puts you in heaven or hell doesn't always work and sometimes the heaven dudes go to hell. They showed this painting depicting I suppose a future time where Jesus would go down and rescue all those folks with his squad of angel buddies and I was wondering if anyone had a clue at all where this comes from. I really just want to find the painting itself, but I am also curious what the deal is with the situation described.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Synnr posted:

I apologize in advance for what is going to be a poor description, but maybe someone will have a clue what I'm talking about and it seemed the correct place.

Years and years ago I watched some documentary discussing the afterlife views of various religions and at one point they got to (perhaps a particular sect, I don't recall) Christian beliefs and discussed this odd thing I hadn't heard before. Basically, the sorting system (? it was unclear) that puts you in heaven or hell doesn't always work and sometimes the heaven dudes go to hell. They showed this painting depicting I suppose a future time where Jesus would go down and rescue all those folks with his squad of angel buddies and I was wondering if anyone had a clue at all where this comes from. I really just want to find the painting itself, but I am also curious what the deal is with the situation described.

It's probably a reference to the Harrowing of Hell, where Jesus is supposed to have traveled to Hell to rescue the virtuous souls who died before he came.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I believe that might be an early modern text, "The Gospell of the Ophthometriste, or the Day that Sainct Peter Was Deprieved of his Spectacles: A Merrie Farce Sponsored by the Honourable Guilde of Lens-Grinders."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I believe that might be an early modern text, "The Gospell of the Ophthometriste, or the Day that Sainct Peter Was Deprieved of his Spectacles: A Merrie Farce Sponsored by the Honourable Guilde of Lens-Grinders."

Ahh yes, I remember the monologue delivered to Mosest, the greatest prophet, as he was harangued the Burning Brush.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I like how the Trumparyans have nothing to say about divorce, multiple instances of :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please keep Florida in your prayers, goons. :( It's still unclear where exactly Irma is going to go, but it's now a category 5 and barreling straight for us. I'm strongly considering evacuating.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe you should, the thread can't afford losing you.

Also, hasn't there been an Irma like 20 years ago?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Maybe you should, the thread can't afford losing you.

Also, hasn't there been an Irma like 20 years ago?
They only retire the names of the biggest ones: Andrew, Katrina. They will probably retire Harvey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

They only retire the names of the biggest ones: Andrew, Katrina. They will probably retire Harvey.

Unless Irma changes dramatically, it will probably also be retired. I've lived through plenty of hurricanes before, but not a category 5 since Andrew and one of Irma's possible paths has me square in the barrel. Trying very hard to not panic.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Cythereal posted:

Unless Irma changes dramatically, it will probably also be retired. I've lived through plenty of hurricanes before, but not a category 5 since Andrew and one of Irma's possible paths has me square in the barrel. Trying very hard to not panic.

Hey, real talk if you can afford to skip town please do it, there are well founded speculations that this storm could be a Cat 5 like there's never been a Cat 5, and I know I speak for all of us when I say we want you to be safe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hey, real talk if you can afford to skip town please do it, there are well founded speculations that this storm could be a Cat 5 like there's never been a Cat 5, and I know I speak for all of us when I say we want you to be safe.

I am. I'm leaving for the Gulf coast tomorrow anyhow for a job interview near where my parents live, and at this rate I'll be taking a bunch of extra clothes, books, and my computer with me.

And yeah, Irma's up to 185 mph winds. If the hurricane categories went beyond 5, then going by progression of wind speeds, Irma would be a category 6.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hope you get out in time to stay safe and sound!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well. It's going to depend on where Irma ends up hitting. If it hits the Gulf coast, I'll be staying put and my family from the Gulf will be staying with me.

Hard to tell at the moment. Hurricanes are infamously hard to predict.

Thanks for the well wishes, folks. :)

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Your situation makes me think about what's done beyond thoughts and prayers. I'm on the other end of the country with no practical way of providing non-monetary aid to the disaster-struck people along the gulf and those still in danger. But what I can do is aspire to be an honest and decent citizen at every moment. With my fellow Americans, our day-to-day lives are connected in ways that remain largely invisible to us. Despite the vast distances of country, we all share in this country's fiscal house. And so I have a responsibility over my small portion of our commonwealth, so that it's willing and able to prepare for disaster, avert it when possible, and recover when it happens. The responsibility to act and believe uncynically is with me at every moment.

I owe aid to people of other nations, too. Even though I don't have any say in how they manage their fiscal house, I'm still called to provide what aid and comfort that I can.

I wish you and your neighbors well!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Current tracks have it pulling further and further east, though hurricanes being hurricanes it's still to early to say for sure.

If I disappear for a while from this thread, I've evacuated.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Current tracks have it pulling further and further east, though hurricanes being hurricanes it's still to early to say for sure.

If I disappear for a while from this thread, I've evacuated.
stay safe, protestant ghost

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
My parish put out an alert that they're still holding Mass on Sunday.

What does Canon Law say when the consecrated host is picked up by hurricane force winds and transported to the Wonderful World of Oz.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

My parish put out an alert that they're still holding Mass on Sunday.

What does Canon Law say when the consecrated host is picked up by hurricane force winds and transported to the Wonderful World of Oz.

You tap your gaudy lace slippers together three times while saying "there's no place like Rome" then consume the host. The host may be of a different color.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Pellisworth posted:

You tap your gaudy lace slippers together three times while saying "there's no place like Rome" then consume the host. The host may be of a different color.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Phlegmatist posted:

Counterpoint: Everything listed above applies equally to David Icke as well as it does to Paul. David Icke was a fairly successful footballer/sportscaster (with some political aspirations via the Green Party) who threw his entire career away (willingly and knowingly) to become a poor traveling itinerant preacher- after having what he describes as a supernatural conversion. (He went to some stone rings in Peru and had a vision) In similar fashion to Pauls writing, Icke further bases his appeal around a pointed attack on the existing social power structure (which he claims is covertly controlled by non-human reptilian aliens/"powers and principalities") as well as a declaration that the world after this one is the more important one. I mean after Icke threw away his career on live television (he declared that we were "all sons of God" on The Wogan Show) he was basically broke and living in no small part off of charity for years before his career as a conspiracy theorist took off.

Mind you I don't have a particular horse in this race, I just thought the similarities between Icke and Paul were interesting in this context. From a secular perspective Icke could be argued to be a modern manifestation of the same psychological forces that produced Paul.

Hamelekim posted:

For Christians suffering is a positive thing.

Romans 5:3-5English Standard Version (ESV)

3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

I wanted to respond to this. As something of a modern Deist I have a couple of problems with this verse; although not with its intended meaning per se so much as a critique of the consequences of the way it has traditionally been interpreted in American Christianity. Specifically this verse (among others) is often used to justify the "suffering is good for the soul" attitude that is highly prevalent in American Christianity, particularly with an aim towards getting moderate Christians to turn a blind eye towards what radicalized Christians are doing to vulnerable populations. I personally think that the way that this verse is often taught in American Christianity has enabled some pretty tremendous abuse via providing an easy justification for moderate Christians to avert their gaze from the suffering their more radicalized brethren are causing in the name of Christ.

Also on a human level I would caution against the limitations of the sentiment expressed in this verse- everyone (I do mean everyone) has a limit to how much suffering they can experience before their mind simply shuts down. Willpower can take you pretty far, but I think that there are hard limits to how far even the strongest of wills can carry an individual. Past a certain amount of suffering (that point can vary considerably from individual to individual) I believe that any of us would simply be psychologically crushed into nothingness.

• Locked thread