Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Resident Evil movies are loving badass after the third one when they become pure insane shlock

Mister Facetious posted:

I'll confess, I can't stop laughing at the one RE movie that has a smirking Wesker with those bitchin' shades, right before a fight starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

I don't even know which one it's from, but it passes the "so bad it's good" test with flying colours.

better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

that laugh is messed up

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

the greatest crossover doujin ever created

I like to imagine that, being A Good Girl, Yuno would just hide the note away but still invite Ryuk around for apples.

Ryuk would probably be fine with this.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:3:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Inti Creates is making a new game for the Switch that involves a lot of the Mega Man Zero/ZX staff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Inti Creates is making a new game for the Switch that involves a lot of the Mega Man Zero/ZX staff.

yeah

it looks loving sick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it also looks like castlevania harmony of despair, so I'm excited too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
almost every game these people have worked on has been badass so i think it will own

it's also badass cause toru nakayama is returning to do art and he loving owns

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
my thoughts on the persona 3 movies

1-3: Good enough to watch once, maybe twice. Nothing great about it.

4: Oh, so they actually did put all the budget into the best part and it's loving sick as hell. Holy gently caress man, that movie came out of nowhere for me. I got through #3 and decided hell, the last one was bound to be the best. I just didn't know how right I was gonna be, holy gently caress man. Winter feels on point, vibrant colors coming at cha motherfucker, the climax to persona 3 is even better when the MC is actually a character, man what a good loving film. Loved that poo poo. I'll probably watch that like, 5 more times.

Didn't get to hear much Burn My Dread at the end though, it used Battle for Everyone's Souls instead I think. Hell, I'm pretty stoned, maybe I just didn't notice. Good movie though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like honestly it seems like the sticking point is based primarily on why you're watching the movie

I give zero fucks about the fact that it's adapting Death Note because, while I like the DN anime and manga, they're not like my absolute favorites or anything and it's been a long rear end time anyhow (jesus I think I watched DN in high school actually)

however, finding out that it was an Adam Wingard joint got me kind of hype because that dude's movies are extremely my poo poo, The Guest owned. then I found out that the second unit director was Jason Eisener, of Hobo with a Shotgun fame, and that Wingard basically just told him "go hog wild," and got insanely goddamn hype because Hobo with a Shotgun is one of my favorite movies. and it is absolutely the result of those two guys directing it and Wingard telling Eisener to go hog the gently caress wild on everything he shot, so there was basically no possible way I was gonna hate it, even if it was literally making GBS threads on every individual page of the manga. like it could have been Dragonball Evolution levels of "bad adaptation" and, as long as that was still intact, I'd still have probably dug the gently caress out of it. Willem Dafoe absolutely goddamn killing it as Ryuk helped, and honestly I thought the actors for Light and Mia did extremely well with their roles too, even if those roles were pretty different than in the original (oddly enough, they kinda reminded me of the protagonists of Future Diary more than the original Light and Misa).

meanwhile, if you're watching it because you're a DN fan... ho-lee poo poo
im not a dn fan, i think its a pretty mediocre manga with a neat idea. my issue is that they do literally nothing with the premise. i do not care that they altered the plot, but that, taking it as its own movie, they did almost nothing with the interesting premise. you seem really obsessed with the fact that it's an adaptation, moreso than the people criticizing it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

klapman posted:

my thoughts on the persona 3 movies

1-3: Good enough to watch once, maybe twice. Nothing great about it.

4: Oh, so they actually did put all the budget into the best part and it's loving sick as hell. Holy gently caress man, that movie came out of nowhere for me. I got through #3 and decided hell, the last one was bound to be the best. I just didn't know how right I was gonna be, holy gently caress man. Winter feels on point, vibrant colors coming at cha motherfucker, the climax to persona 3 is even better when the MC is actually a character, man what a good loving film. Loved that poo poo. I'll probably watch that like, 5 more times.

Didn't get to hear much Burn My Dread at the end though, it used Battle for Everyone's Souls instead I think. Hell, I'm pretty stoned, maybe I just didn't notice. Good movie though

I watched the first 2 and started the third one and realized there were much better things I could be doing with my life.

I do dig the the song remixes though

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

I watched the first 2 and started the third one and realized there were much better things I could be doing with my life.

orv when are you going to play games with dryzen and me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PoS4rjEjU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah

it looks loving sick

:yeah:

I really hope it gets a PC version, but it's apparently at least Switch + 3DS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yet another reason to switch to the switch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the switch is good I've discovered. its fun just to hold it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

much better things I could be doing with my life.

Blatantly false

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
2 episodes into Fate Zero, It's way darker than I thought it would be. The little girl covered in bugs for like 4 days. :cripes:
and the boy who they gave some hope before they brutally murdered him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Yet another reason to switch to the switch.

I'm not going to spend £300 on another console when I already have hundreds of Steam, 3DS, PS3 and Vita games to play.

Yet.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Switch is really good though. And it already has some awesome games. I'm glad to hear that mario vs rabbits is good. I'm not buying it now. but when i have more time. it's deff on my list.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sefal posted:

2 episodes into Fate Zero, It's way darker than I thought it would be. The little girl covered in bugs for like 4 days. :cripes:

'Covered' in bugs is a very... gentle way of describing her situation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not going to spend £300 on another console when I already have hundreds of Steam, 3DS, PS3 and Vita games to play.

Yet.

Most of those are old and dead now, sorry

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sefal posted:

Zero is a bit... edgy, yeah. Partly because it's a prequel, so it needs to show a lot of tragic back-stories, but mainly because it's so self-consciously 90s.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fate/zero is edgy because it's urobuchi

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

To be fair he just did the edgy backstory nasu set up justice, urobuchi at least does good edge

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If I gotta choose between nasu and urobuchi, I'll choose death

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Done

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The best way to experience the Fate/Stay stuff is to watch an AMV with all the cool fight scenes, then think for a few minutes about how cool the Grail War premise is and then watch something else. Aside from the base concept and fights there's really nothing there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Play the light novels you stupid loving cucks

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

littleorv posted:

If you know the plot already you can just watch the fourth one and that's how I'd recommend most people watch this. You'll kind of miss some of the development related to the MC and some of the extra stuff they added, but it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on in a couple minutes.

Getsuya posted:

The best way to experience the Fate/Stay stuff is to watch an AMV with all the cool fight scenes, then think for a few minutes about how cool the Grail War premise is and then watch something else. Aside from the base concept and fights there's really nothing there.

the best way to experience F/SN is to read the visual novel when you're 15, remember it fondly, and never go back to check if it was actually well written and good

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Play the light novels you stupid loving cucks

Haha nice one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This thread is so full of loving stupid shits. I will shoot all of you with guns.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my recommendation is read the VNs and don't be weird about undercutting your enjoyment of them, even if they aren't literary masterpieces

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think you'll be good without it once the Heaven's Feel movies are finished though, if those cut as much chaff as UBW did.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My recommendation is to read Fate/Strange Fake which is Fate in the hands of an awesome author.

And don't read the VNs, read the LP of the VNs.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

my recommendation is read the VNs and don't be weird about undercutting your enjoyment of them, even if they aren't literary masterpieces

sorry, it is illegal to enjoy flawed things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Getsuya posted:

My recommendation is to read Fate/Strange Fake which is Fate in the hands of an awesome author.

And don't read the VNs, read the LP of the VNs.

don't read the vns, instead read the same amount of text in the same amount of time but without voice acting music or sound effects interspersed with bad jokes

• Locked thread