Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Oi, you *oval office*...ah'll 'ave you know that nonna my ~mehdia ehmpirah~ is *ac'tul* news. Ain't no bloody fukkin' money innit! Too much competition! Tella oval office whut he wants'ta 'ear an' *that's* 'ow ya gently caress'em good'n propah."

Closer to a lower class Londoner, but good try

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

hiddenmovement posted:

Closer to a lower class Londoner, but good try

Murdoch's accent is very lower class Australian, despite his wealth. So close.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I wonder what it's like to live in a world where Australian and working class london accents sound the same to you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I wonder what it's like to live in a world where Australian and working class london accents sound the same to you.

That seems pretty lame as far as alternate universes go

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wanker.

The Pale King
Jan 21, 2011
They both say oi mate

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I wonder what social class the first exiles to Australia were primarily drawn from.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
what's this I'm hearing about the Orange Dam in Port Arthur?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

boner confessor posted:

sure if you imagine the worst case scenario then the scenario you have in mind seems pretty bad but remember humans evolved in the tropics

humans hunting wooly mammoths for survival is a weird old artifact of imagining humans as hunters first and gatherers second and is basically the paleolithic equivalent of a nightmare situation that was not very common

The Ice Age steppe was the largest biome in the world, stretching from Spain to Alaska. How does that qualify for not very common?

The genus Homo originated in Africa. Bur by 1.8 million years ago the genus had spread across the old world. We're still not sure where H. hidelbergensis (last common ancestor of sapiens, neanderthal and denisovans) originated, but there's lots of speculation it was Eurasia. There has definitely been a lot of gene flow between populations across the old war, humanity's story is not just the story of Africa that paleoanthropologists thought it was in the 90s.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uglycat posted:

what's this I'm hearing about the Orange Dam in Port Arthur?

Trump went back down?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

All of my family managed to avoid the wars of the 20th Century. My great grandparents were too dead for WW2, my grandparents too young and too Canadian for Korea, my parents too young for Vietnam (or at least every draft but the very last).

I don't know if that speaks more for lovely genetics or lucky family planning or what.

Canada fought in Korea.

I read a good book about the Commonwealth Division, but I can't remember the title of the book off the top of my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Commonwealth_Division

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/903031743808229377

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens to Trumps poll numbers over the next two months. Eventually Trump is going to realize taht people are paying more attention to all the flooding and disaster relief than they are too him, and that is going to make little baby Donnie jealous af. He is going to try to make himself the center of attention again, and in the process he is almost certain to lash out at the victims of Harvey in some way. Trump isn't the biggest show in the US at the moment and that is not a situation he can accept. Trump may require effulgent praise in order to function, but he would much rather be despised than ignored. Ignored is a a far worse fate than hated for Trump.

DJT: "ILL SHOW THAT STORM! ILL SHOW EVERYONE!!"
Aide, with bald patches from pulling out hair and sallow skin and dark eyes from no sleep: "How do you plan on doing that sir?"
DJT: "WE ARE GOING TO GET TREMENDOUS RATINGS! JUST GREAT! WE WILL TAKE THIS...*shows a tornado in a bottle* BUT MAKE IT BIGGER!"

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Hastings posted:

DJT: "ILL SHOW THAT STORM! ILL SHOW EVERYONE!!"
Aide, with bald patches from pulling out hair and sallow skin and dark eyes from no sleep: "How do you plan on doing that sir?"
DJT: "WE ARE GOING TO GET TREMENDOUS RATINGS! JUST GREAT! WE WILL TAKE THIS...*shows a tornado in a bottle* BUT MAKE IT BIGGER!"

In truth, I suspect he'll allow the storm to hold everyone's attention as he quietly contemplates suicide.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/BoingBoing/status/902920096305340416

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

For what it's worth the state senator who was granted this favor is a Democrat who won 72-38. This will siphon off 1,000 people (not voters, people) from a republican who won by 10,000 votes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I wonder what social class the first exiles to Australia were primarily drawn from.

prisoners, alcoholics, and both

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It's starting to sound like that Arkema chemical plant - the one that's ready to explode "soon" - maybe hasn't done as much as they could have, going by what I heard on Maddow tonight. Seems (obviously, in hindsight) that there are compounds that will neutralize the peroxides and other nasty poo poo and thus mitigate the danger of explosion if they go outside a safe temperature range. The fact that their CEO is conceding explosion is pretty likely to happen suggests that "for some reason", they didn't do that.

...considering the unregulated corporate love-fest that Texas is, I'm going to go ahead and guess that that's because Texas law/regulations don't require them to.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The 6ft of standing water in the plant might hinder things slightly. Just a thought.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mynnna posted:

It's starting to sound like that Arkema chemical plant - the one that's ready to explode "soon" - maybe hasn't done as much as they could have, going by what I heard on Maddow tonight. Seems (obviously, in hindsight) that there are compounds that will neutralize the peroxides and other nasty poo poo and thus mitigate the danger of explosion if they go outside a safe temperature range. The fact that their CEO is conceding explosion is pretty likely to happen suggests that "for some reason", they didn't do that.

...considering the unregulated corporate love-fest that Texas is, I'm going to go ahead and guess that that's because Texas law/regulations don't require them to.

You can plan and plan and plan but the universe will poo poo all over it.

I'm the first person to berate anyone on chemical safety and I don't even think any amount of planning or fail safes could prevent whatever happens. That's... Just too much water.

Well other than not building a chemical plant in hurricane country of course.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

mynnna posted:

Most chemical plants are run on just-in-time delivery so they may not have enough stuff in inventory at any given time to deactivate compounds. Which is kind of a general chemical plant thing, since they're not run with the expectation that the safety systems will all fail simultaneously and force the majority of people out of the plant.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

They're still media.

THE NUMBER ONE CABLE NEWS IN MERICAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(that is some how still the plucky under dog that Oblamao's MSM is constantly trying to crush)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

PhazonLink posted:

THE NUMBER ONE CABLE NEWS IN MERICAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(that is some how still the plucky under dog that Oblamao's MSM is constantly trying to crush)

the jews are an inferior race, they are weak and we will crush them easily

the jews secretly dominate the world, they are strong and we must do everything necessary to defeat them

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

William Contraalto posted:

Most chemical plants are run on just-in-time delivery so they may not have enough stuff in inventory at any given time to deactivate compounds. Which is kind of a general chemical plant thing, since they're not run with the expectation that the safety systems will all fail simultaneously and force the majority of people out of the plant.

Maybe chemical plants in areas at risk of flood should have a plan for not blowing up in floods

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, The Koch Bro's bread and butter are chem plants.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pellisworth posted:

prisoners, alcoholics, and both

Both the future US and Australia were used as penal colonies, it's just the American colonies were able to shake off the stigma by successfully rebelling. Also, in all but repeat offending cases, the sentence was more of an voluntary and non-permanent 'exile' than anything else, where they kind of hoped the misery of an economy-class sea voyage from Britain to the Americas or Australia either killed you outright or dissuaded you from *ever* wanting to do it again.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 31, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure many on the "left" will find her impure. I hope she picks Duckworth as her running mate.

I'm a few pages late, but Kamala Harris is... Well, she's "progressive", but she's also a prosecutor, which means that every now and then she tries to lock as many people up as possible and punish them unduly once they're locked up. For example, pushing jail time for parents of students who are repeatedly truant, or trying to deny surgery to a trans inmate (when both the law and precedent contradicted every excuse she gave for it, which makes it seem like spite, cruelty, and/or transphobia, especially given some of the excuses she gave). Also, there was the whole Backpage thing, which... Well, someone else can probably explain that better. She also opposed some attempts to rein in the police here and hold them accountable.

Suffice to say, while I would vote for her over a Republican, she's far from my first choice, and I hope the primaries offer better choices. There are legitimate reasons for leftists to not particularly like her.

Of course, there are also people who dislike her because they're racist and/or sexist and try to hide that under leftist criticisms, despite not calling other politicians out for similar things. Those people are awful.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 31, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens to Trumps poll numbers over the next two months. Eventually Trump is going to realize taht people are paying more attention to all the flooding and disaster relief than they are too him, and that is going to make little baby Donnie jealous af. He is going to try to make himself the center of attention again, and in the process he is almost certain to lash out at the victims of Harvey in some way. Trump isn't the biggest show in the US at the moment and that is not a situation he can accept. Trump may require effulgent praise in order to function, but he would much rather be despised than ignored. Ignored is a a far worse fate than hated for Trump.

On the other hand, people not paying attention to him could cause his poll numbers to tick up slightly.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

El Pollo Blanco posted:

America doesn't really have strong class associations with particular accents (with a few exceptions), so Americans often don't pick up on things like that.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
random question but someone in this thread mentioned another thread on SA about Youtube business practices and how it was driving creators to Patreon and so forth. Does anyone have a link to that?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gum posted:

Maybe chemical plants in areas at risk of flood should have a plan for not blowing up in floods
They do have backup generators and other preventative measures but everything got flooded too. In any case, the plant is in the middle of nowhere so when it does blow up it will be just like the 4th of July.

https://goo.gl/maps/JbjUBricZJA2

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

mobby_6kl posted:

They do have backup generators and other preventative measures but everything got flooded too. In any case, the plant is in the middle of nowhere so when it does blow up it will be just like the 4th of July.

https://goo.gl/maps/JbjUBricZJA2

Ok, maybe chemical plants in areas at risk of flood should have a plan for not blowing up in floods that actually works

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Look man it isn't like there is any industrial safety case study in recent memory involving generators getting flooded.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Idiot question: Why do generators always go in basements? Why not a rooftop shack?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Gum posted:

Ok, maybe chemical plants in areas at risk of flood should have a plan for not blowing up in floods that actually works
I dunno, there's always a point where a disaster gets too big for any plan to contain. It's a similar thing with earthquake safety: there's all kinds of building codes in the SF area, for example, that are intended to allow the buildings to withstand earthquakes... up to around 7.0 or so. If a quake hits that's bigger than that, then there's simply nothing to be done because the force is just too great for even the most earthquake-ready buildings to withstand.

Given all the talk about how historic the flooding from Harvey is, I'm tempted to cut businesses in the area at least a little bit of slack.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Idiot question: Why do generators always go in basements? Why not a rooftop shack?

1) Industrial-grade ones weigh a lot. The 'a lot' cannot be over-emphasized here. Putting them on the roof would require reinforcing the entire building and roof to take the weight.
2) It's easier to service them when they're lower to the ground.
3) It's easier to *fuel* them when there's ground-level access. With generators that use diesel/gasoline, ground-level basement ones can be fed from the pumps on a tanker truck because the fluid only has to follow gravity. Put them on the roof and suddenly you need an intricate and complex series of ancillary pumps that can fight gravity and go up to the storage tanks that feed the generator...which will weigh as much or more than the generator and require more building/roof reinforcement.

Plus, that'd make for some ultra-crowded roofs as HVAC units generally go up there, and the biggest ones need to be carried in by heavy-lift helicopters or heavy-duty cranes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Easy access to various utility hookups and it keeps them largely out of the elements. However many places do have the generators mounted up high in flood prone areas. A good example is the bioresearch facility in galveston. Its problem is more that it may not have enough fuel to keep said generators running and getting enough fuel to them will be interesting since they are on the roof of an 8 story building.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

It is possible to place generators so that they are well safe from any reasonable flood waters, but this requires some foresight in plant design and a reason to do it.

And, after all, it isn't like the issue of low lying generators powering critical safety equipment being at risk during floods has been on the minds of regulators in recent years. Nope. This one really came out of the blue.

Seriously though, after Fukushima every person even remotely related to plant safety has had it beat into them that this is a failure mode that needs to be accounted for. If this failure mode wasn't originally forseen it certainly was since 2011, but the safety requirements of chemical plants are much more lax than for nuclear power plants so there was probably no legal or regulatory impetus to redesign things, which costs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1) Industrial-grade ones weigh a lot. The 'a lot' cannot be over-emphasized here. Putting them on the roof would require reinforcing the entire building and roof to take the weight.
2) It's easier to service them when they're lower to the ground.
3) It's easier to *fuel* them when there's ground-level access. With generators that use diesel/gasoline, ground-level basement ones can be fed from the pumps on a tanker truck because the fluid only has to follow gravity. Put them on the roof and suddenly you need an intricate and complex series of ancillary pumps that can fight gravity and go up to the storage tanks that feed the generator...which will weigh as much or more than the generator and require more building/roof reinforcement.

Plus, that'd make for some ultra-crowded roofs as HVAC units generally go up there, and the biggest ones need to be carried in by heavy-lift helicopters or heavy-duty cranes.

Similarly,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAvOcuJyHY&t=84s

• Locked thread