Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rick posted:

Harkins somehow doesn't accept them but I don't know how. My guess is they don't take mastercard but I haven't confirmed this.

I don't get this. You can't buy a thing from Company A that lets you use Company B's stuff unless Company B's participating in that deal. Harkins doesn't accept them by just not being a MoviePass partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Moviepass isn't making individual partnerships with theaters around the nation. That's why AMC can't block it and why it works at privately owned 40 seat second run theaters in Yuma, AZ. It's unusual that it doesn't work at Harkins.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Last year I had a list of like 30 favorite movies.

This year I have 5, and I'm even iffy about a couple of those being favorites of the year.

We still have a couple months to go before the year's out, anything could happen.

That said, December's probably going to be a ghost town since that's when Star Wars 8 is set to come out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rick posted:

Moviepass isn't making individual partnerships with theaters around the nation. That's why AMC can't block it and why it works at privately owned 40 seat second run theaters in Yuma, AZ. It's unusual that it doesn't work at Harkins.

They're not partering with individual theaters, but they partner with with chains. They have to, because the ticket is still being purchased from the theater. The user buys a prepaid card, and uses the mobile app to buy a seat using the prepaid card payment. If a chain doesn't want to accept the gift cards as payment, then it can just reject them, so Moviepass needs the cooperation of the chains in order to function; the first incarnation of Moviepass failed utterly because they couldn't get any major chains to participate.

AMC first refused to participate, and then Moviepass persuaded them to partner. Now that AMC is partnered, Moviepass has dropped the prices to the extent that AMC feels it's a money-losing proposition. AMC can't just block it, because they signed up as a partner and has a contractual obligation to participate.

https://www.moviepass.com/amcpartnership

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 29, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Did you read the link? That's an announcement for the failed Moviepass Premium venture for 3D movies and being able to use moviepass via the amc app. Not that AMC suddenly agreed to allow the service.

Previous to that you could always could always use moviepass at AMC basically from the point they switched over to a debit card system in 2012, even though AMC was not officially accepting movie pass at the time, and two years before that partnership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoviePass

E: I don't think anyone else cares about this derail

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If it's a Mastercard transaction, I'd be surprised if you could opt out of accepting particular Mastercards just because they're for MoviePass. It would be like Barnes & Noble refusing to make a sale using an Amazon VISA. The contracts with credit card companies wouldn't usually let you play those sorts of games. If you sign up to take the card you have to take it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
MasterCard would literally eat a company alive before it lets that company plant even the smallest seed of "Huh, maybe my MC is gonna be a problem to use like last time, guess I'll use my other card whenever I do ___ activity" in a customer's head.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

made it to T2 3D. it's pretty sick, and it was a packed house. 3d was good, lots of care obviously taken.

James Cameron has a message at the start explaining how it's a new transfer and now he's personally overseeing the restoration and 3d effects. It mentions he thinks it looks better than ever but honestly I can't remember T2 looking bad. He's also pleased younger folks like me get to see it on the big screen after years of vHS/DVD.

Overall it looks good and the 3D is well done. I would've honestly gone to see it in 2D because 3D is generally bad, but I ended up enjoying the 3D stuff. I think Cameron may be the exception to my 'avoid 3D' rule.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Get this, what if they readapted Lord of the Flies, but gender-swapped everyone! Yep, all girls. Except the writers/directors, they are still dudes (Scott McGehee & David Siegel) Wouldn't want women to be in control of anything

quote:

“We want to do a very faithful but contemporized adaptation of the book, but our idea was to do it with all girls rather than boys,” Siegel told Deadline. “It is a timeless story that is especially relevant today, with the interpersonal conflicts and bullying, and the idea of children forming a society and replicating the behavior they saw in grownups before they were marooned.”

McGehee said the subject matter “is aggressively suspenseful, and taking the opportunity to tell it in a way it hasn’t been told before, with girls rather than boys, is that it shifts things in a way that might help people see the story anew. It breaks away from some of the conventions, the ways we think of boys and aggression. People still talk about the movie and the book from the standpoint of pure storytelling,” he said. “It is a great adventure story, real entertainment, but it has a lot of meaning embedded in it as well. We’ve gotten to think about this awhile as the rights were worked out, and we’re super eager to put pen to paper.”

http://deadline.com/2017/08/lord-of-the-flies-scott-mcgehee-david-siegel-female-cast-warner-bros-william-golding-novel-1202158421/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The lack of women in the production process aside, gender bent Lord of the Flies sounds like a solid concept.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Get this, what if they readapted Lord of the Flies, but gender-swapped everyone! Yep, all girls. Except the writers/directors, they are still dudes (Scott McGehee & David Siegel) Wouldn't want women to be in control of anything

http://deadline.com/2017/08/lord-of-the-flies-scott-mcgehee-david-siegel-female-cast-warner-bros-william-golding-novel-1202158421/

I wonder if they'll set this in when it was supposed to be, World War 3.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

well why not posted:

James Cameron has a message at the start explaining how it's a new transfer and now he's personally overseeing the restoration and 3d effects. It mentions he thinks it looks better than ever but honestly I can't remember T2 looking bad. He's also pleased younger folks like me get to see it on the big screen after years of vHS/DVD.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't started doing this with its classics and for everyone in general.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tars Tarkas posted:

uh lol if they think school-aged girls aren't associated with aggression

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ElectricSheep posted:

It's often a different type of aggression than what's typically associated with boys.

My theory is they just want an excuse to have a 20 year-old actress playing a teenager running around with a bow and arrow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ElectricSheep posted:

Always seems like girls are more of a emotional abuse type than the beat up the fat kid with glasses type. But I'm a guy so I'm probably wrong.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Yeah, girls do lean towards the psychological/emotional rather than the physical but hoo boy when it gets physical it gets nasty

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if this version of Piggy ends up committing suicide by walking off a cliff rather than being pushed over. It's probably going to just be a sustained, slow burn of insults and ostracism.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just straight up hate lord of the flies. Its the worst loving thing you will ever be compelled to read in school and I just don't get how anyone could like it.

It doesn't have anything valuable to say about the human condition, which is supposed to be the main draw? Its just hot steamy poo poo. The gender swap might dare to make it slightly more interesting, especially if it has more to say than the loving book.

But i am having flashbacks to reading that terrible book and now im angry. gently caress that book.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I just straight up hate lord of the flies. Its the worst loving thing you will ever be compelled to read in school and I just don't get how anyone could like it.

It doesn't have anything valuable to say about the human condition, which is supposed to be the main draw? Its just hot steamy poo poo. The gender swap might dare to make it slightly more interesting, especially if it has more to say than the loving book.

But i am having flashbacks to reading that terrible book and now im angry. gently caress that book.

given that it's from the 50s the idea that white british schoolboys have as much potential to be 'uncivilized' as anyone else was probably a lot more controversial and novel when it was written

but yeah i wouldn't exactly put it at the top of the list of classics anyone today would get anything out of

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Girlsbcan be loving mean but I don't think you'd see anywhere near the level of poo poo without toxic ideas about masculinity in the mix.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

basic hitler posted:

Haven't actually read Lord of the Flies, but I've heard this argument about every common book that's assigned to people between the ages of 12-15, especially the ones where it's easy for a teacher to work in the words "simile," "metaphor," or the granddaddy of them all "symbolism," while trying to explain a book to kids in their early teens.

For the record, I actually liked A Separate Peace, but I think that had to do with unresolved issues I had with my "best friend" when I was 15 (don't worry, I didn't cripple the kid).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

My theory is they just want an excuse to have a bunch of 20 year-old actress playing teenagers in a big old catfight.

Fixed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nah, I'm willing to bet cash there's a heroine who kills the boar with a bow and arrow

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Casimir Radon posted:

Girlsbcan be loving mean but I don't think you'd see anywhere near the level of poo poo without toxic ideas about masculinity in the mix.

If a girl is called "Piggy" as a normal thing I figure you're not too far from a bullying-to-suicide happening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

basic hitler posted:

Counterpoint: Tess of the Durbervilles.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress is Lord of the Flies "a great adventure story?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How the gently caress is Lord of the Flies "a great adventure story?"

It will be once they have a bunch of young women running around with bows and arrows.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just thought lord of the flies was mediocre, scarlet letter and romeo/juliet were awful tho. I did book reports of On the Road two different years though, that was a cool one

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Haven't actually read Lord of the Flies, but I've heard this argument about every common book that's assigned to people between the ages of 12-15, especially the ones where it's easy for a teacher to work in the words "simile," "metaphor," or the granddaddy of them all "symbolism," while trying to explain a book to kids in their early teens.

For the record, I actually liked A Separate Peace, but I think that had to do with unresolved issues I had with my "best friend" when I was 15 (don't worry, I didn't cripple the kid).

I was a kid who read for fun. The kind of nerd who had already read half the syllabus for much of the later english lit i had to read in school. This isn't a case of teen angst. I read this and Anthem back to back for my senior year and those two books nearly undid a lifetime of goodwill built up towards reading.

It's just not a good book and it makes no sense it's culturally significant enough to make HS kids read it. Or to make another movie out of...

The best thing these people could do to lord of the flies is deviate as hard as they can from the source material. Give it the Starship Troopers treatment and treat the source material with open contempt.

John Green hates the book too, and im not a huge fan of his books but he makes a much better case for lord of the flies being trash than the nearly purely emotional revulsion i have towards it. I can't find his argument against it, but he made a case i generally agreed with. If you feel like looking, consider his case mine when you find it.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I thought Lord of the Flies was very average as well, as were a lot of the required reading in high school. That being said, there were a few good ones out there I specifically remember enjoying:

Animal Farm was fantastic
The Grapes of Wrath was very engaging (if depressing)
To Kill a Mocking Bird was pretty amazing

I'd actually really like to see a cinematic take on Animal Farm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gender-swapped Lord of the Flies sounds like something that would and should go full Mean Girls with more murder (Heathers?) if they do it right. Borderline horror movie with the real monster being the inherent brutality of humanity, especially teenagers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PotatoManJack posted:

I thought Lord of the Flies was very average as well, as were a lot of the required reading in high school. That being said, there were a few good ones out there I specifically remember enjoying:

I kept skipping school I missed The Grapes of Wrath until this year.

It's very depressing but also where The Ghost of Tom Joad comes from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnMrynpq9U

I missed a lot of Faulkner and Shakespeare as well due to Metroid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Skwirl posted:

It will be once they have a bunch of young women running around with bows and arrows.

And makeshift bikinis. Don't forget the makeshift bikinis.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PotatoManJack posted:

One of the networks did an adaptation of Animal Farm that I thought was alright in the 90s.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PotatoManJack posted:

Well, you're in luck.

Sponsored by the CIA, even.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lord of the Flies was in part an attack on the idea that children were inherently innocent and pure and good and it was only the evil of the world that corrupted them.

You can argue for it being a bad novel but saying it has no significance whatsoever is absurd.

But honestly if they want to make a movie about how cruel girls can be just adapt Cat's Eye instead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

Nah, I'm willing to bet cash there's a heroine who kills the boar with a bow and arrow

Why not both. In makeshift bikinis.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Just as there are no shortage of films about how horrifying it is to be bullied as a teenage boy, there is also no shortage of films about how horrifying it is to be bullied as a teenage girl. I swear, half the problems in the world are probably just caused by PTSD from surviving those teenage years.

I'm going to opt to hope for good things for this movie. A fantastic, utterly horrifying conceptual remake that shows how inhumanly cruel teenage girls can be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't there a trend in 70s and/or 80s movies and fiction of bullies, especially in small downs, being outright murderous and criminal? And the authorities ignore it, true to life.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wasn't there a trend in 70s and/or 80s movies and fiction of bullies, especially in small downs, being outright murderous and criminal? And the authorities ignore it, true to life.

Yes. However, some of that is due to the times, they are a'changing. It wasn't thought to be criminal back then.

Certainly, when I watch movies from that era that involve bullying, its almost comical. "How can people ignore this?" you think, as Bastian Balthasar Bux is chased down an alleyway, and then thrown in the literal trash. Or look at the way the bullies beat the ever-living poo poo out of Daniel in Karate Kid. In Footloose they play chicken on tractors! If any of that happened today, you'd be looking at criminal charges for multiple parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

I just thought lord of the flies was mediocre, scarlet letter and romeo/juliet were awful tho. I did book reports of On the Road two different years though, that was a cool one

I suffered opinion whiplash reading this. Or did you actually mean to put a plus sign in there instead of a backslash?

• Locked thread